• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tombstone for Orange should say:

• Windows ME is a good operating system

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • UN Ambassador for PC Gaming

Votes: 34 13.3%
  • Report this Orange man

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Still thinks PC Gaming is dead

Votes: 22 8.6%
  • ༼ つ ▀̿_▀̿ ༽つ (I have no idea if this one is allowed)

Votes: 57 22.3%
  • nice thread btw :)

Votes: 91 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Also in the meantime don't forget it takes two to tango. The negativity sucks but it is a result of something.

People should just do the logical thing, just stop posting or browsing the forum all together instead of hitting back. Really only way I see the best outcome of all this.
That's what folk is doing, that's why this community is dying out

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Also in the meantime don't forget it takes two to tango. The negativity sucks but it is a result of something.

People should just do the logical thing, just stop posting or browsing the forum all together instead of hitting back. Really only way I see the best outcome of all this.

But that circles back to my point about people posting their opinions as fact. If people don't post ("hit back") then people's ignorance will continue unabated, and it just becomes a vicious circle. Not that I can say anything - I've mostly stopped posting, because who can convince people who think they're right because feelings?

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
User Banned (permanent): Hostility towards staff
The constant pokes at mods and general negative attitudes from time to time, make this thread hard to post in for anyone, even the old guard.

And why do you think has caused this issue? There won't be any constant poking if the mods are actually doing a good job. I'm not talking about you or JaseC specifically, but most of us here just want a community where we all can feel belong.

When someone got banned for a month for a make-believe infraction while other shitposters with a real history of shitposting practically just got a slap in the wrist, do you think they feel welcome here?

When a community manager basically posting a tired old meme right in the middle of serious discussion without any real substance in the same post, do you think we feel they have our best interest as PC community at heart?

Just food for thoughts.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Hostility towards staff.
Funny to see moderators talking about toxicity when they allow so much trolling and misinformation to happen for months now. You didn't put your foot down in the first place so ofc all this shit will get out of hand. And spoiler alert..it will only get worse. Anyways.. sad to see JaseC go.

Also best thing that can happen to this community is for it to be called SteamEra again and be put in community section of the forum. No one here gives a shit about EGS, Origin or Bnet here. Whatever popular games those clients have already have their own small communities on Era. And there is no reason for this thread to exist in gaming side either. This was always a bad idea and moderators trying to label Steam as not a platform was always laughable. Like anyone can look into the mirror and say services/platforms aren't the most important things about the entertainment industry today. The amount of shilling that goes on for namebrands on this site has reached an all time high. And Steam is a platform that shits on all these other PC services from the highest mountain. It absolutely needs its own community.

As for PS5 stuff..yea I don't really see why so many are eager to drop 500$ on new hardware especially after the Stadia presentation. I really hope Google lights a fire under both MS and Sony's asses. Enough so that I can play all the Sony and MS exclusives via any browser on any next gen like I did Odyssey on project stream. People can talk all the shit they want about streaming but the tech is legit. And hopefully it forces Sony to invest more money into PSNOW.

Stadia having an extra year ahead of the new console launch should hopefully help them. They need to get all the casual mainstream AAA games on there and I think it will be big trouble for Sony/MS. Like 80% of the AAA games this gen were clunky and laggy open world games. And next gen it will be even higher %. These games are all perfect for services like Stadia and Odyssey proved it. So yea I hope next gen I can just spend 200-300$ on streaming games without investing into console hardware. It will be so much more cheaper and much more convenient. And I will have my PC for everything else.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
This is something i've wanted to get off my chest for awhile. With the current news of JaseC leaving, I think it's the right time to bring it up. Even if some might not want to hear it. Several posts in the last few pages are perfect examples of why JaseC left. The constant pokes at mods and general negative attitudes from time to time, make this thread hard to post in for anyone, even the old guard.

Unbeknownst to most, JaseC actually wanted to step down further back. So I can understand why he finally had enough. Hell, It's why I haven't been posting in this community as much as I used to because I haven't felt welcome. But I would still call it home.

I know the EGS stuff as well as other cases can get heated in numerous ways. But none of this is worth driving off good members of the community who only ever wanted to help. Hostility (even as a joke) can end up driving away the people who care the most afterall.
The second I decided to pop back in the PC thread and there's drama. We'll miss you JaseC!

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
If anything the secret sauce is the pci4 bus zen2 will support, but let's be honest they are not going to put a drive in there that will totally max that bandwidth or even come close. especially if they want to make it a price people will pay.
Which I find really funny because you have Cerny going "this SSD isn't even available on PC," which is technically true, until this summer when new Ryzen chips drop.

It's conceivable that Sony could use some bespoke SSD tech that's outside of current standards. They don't have to worry about compatibility.
They are using Ryzen chips, so yes, they have to worry about compatibility.

Oct 25, 2017
And why do you think has caused this issue? There won't be any constant poking if the mods are actually doing a good job. I'm not talking about you or JaseC specifically, but most of us here just want a community where we all can feel belong.

When someone got banned for a month for a make-believe infraction while other shitposters with a real history of shitposting practically just got a slap in the wrist, do you think they feel welcome here?

When a community manager basically posting a tired old meme right in the middle of serious discussion without any real substance in the same post, do you think we feel they have our best interest as PC community at heart?

Just food for thoughts.

I don't think Jase or Jaw (or Bronson, though he's not as direct a representative of PCEra as Jase/Jaw are) are unaware of those issues, but they alone don't have the full capacity to resolve them. While that's frustrating for all involved, what Jase has taken issue with is how that somehow comes back to meaning he personally failed the community. The sarcasm and toxic comments which places blame at the feet of our representatives or holds them unfairly responsible for what is out of their control is misguided, when we share a mutual goal.

I think it is clear that Steve's post was in jest and Jase felt it was more serious than it was, but as far back as late last year Jase admitted he was pretty close to turning in his registration then due to a fairly similar situation to this. We can be frustrated, yet that must be expressed in a constructive manner or we risk harming the people who make this community what it is. If we must suffer the loss of Jase as a pillar of the community, then let's at least keep in mind 'our' part in what led to this.

I suppose it must have been an important event if we felt we needed to commemorate it, the monument looks like it was a lot of work to put together. I wonder if it was a happy occasion? Something we were celebrating and didn't want to let go of. Or... if, instead, it was something so horrible that we never wanted to forget it, for fear that we'd accidentally do it again. There isn't a plaque or anything. I guess we... didn't think we'd need one.

Last edited:

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
don't think Jase or Jaw (or Bronson, though he's not as direct a representative of PCEra as Jase/Jaw are) are unaware of those issues, but they alone don't have the full capacity to resolve them. While that's frustrating for all involved, what Jase has taken issue with is how that somehow comes back to meaning he personally failed the community. The sarcasm and toxic comments which places blame at the feet of our representatives or holds them unfairly responsible for what is out of their control is misguided, when we share a mutual goal.

To clarify, I'm not implying that JaseC or Jaw hasn't done their utmost in looking after our community. Far from it. However, as you said, they don't have the full capacity to resolve these issues. Why is that? Why are we're being treated differently? Why is that our community always felt overlooked even though we don't need any special treatment? If some members didn't feel that their voices are being heard, are their sarcasm justified in this case?

At the end of the day, it is my opinion that we just need to be treated the same way as any other console-centric community. If most of the community pillars left the forum or had enough, isn't that signify a larger, systemic problem which needs to be addressed by not simply throwing more mods into the mix?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I am sad that now there is no more crazy Assassin's Creed 100% people like me left here. JaseC was one of the rare ones who would suffer like me to reach that magic number.

Also I don't know how nobody noticed this Randy Pitchford Twitter thread

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Valve is about to release their 2nd VR headset this generation. Meanwhile the richest corporation on the planet couldn't even release 1 for their Xbox platform.

Not to mention the linux support, big picture mode, Twitch alternative, Discord alternative, steam controller, Steam link, workshop support. etc.

But sure Randy keep talking shit about Valve not investing their money.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
That whole Twitter thread is strange at least.
Epic is going to trailblaze and leave Valve in the dust.

When they dont even do basic email authentication and there is a masssive issue of people using emails to make accounts in other peoples names.

Sweeney is finally going to fix this, in April of 2019, months and months after the first reports of this occured with Fortnite users.

Could you imagine what the shitshow the media would bring up if Steam had anything similar to this?

Oct 27, 2017
I am sad that now there is no more crazy Assassin's Creed 100% people like me left here. JaseC was one of the rare ones who would suffer like me to reach that magic number.

I wonder why he needs Steam to die in order to have competition, according to him.

Maybe in 10 years the EGS will blow all of us away by being the most amazing store ever, but asking customers to foot that bill by buying their exclusives, or trying to lure them into the 'future' with exclusive games is...eh.

And if he's so convinced Epic is the future, why put the game on Steam 6 months later? Doesnt he have a lot of faith in Epic? Or maybe...he's just full of shit, which is par for the course with him.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
I think Pitchfork's idea on how Valve must reinvest their "absurd 30% cut" is basically to make them spread their money around like Saudi princes in a gentlemen's club. Improving customer's experience is probably the lowest priority in his mind.

Also the very idea of Epic overtaking Valve's investment in technology within 5 years time is idiotic, at best. They can't even make a competent store today.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I think Pitchfork's idea on how Valve must reinvest their "absurd 30% cut" is basically to make them spread their money around like Saudi princes in a gentlemen's club. Improving customer's experience is probably the lowest priority in his mind.

Also the very idea of Epic overtaking Valve's investment in technology within 5 years time is idiotic, at best. They can't even make a competent store today.
Epic cant even do basic account security that even the tiniest forum from 2005 had. And they dont even have basic features that are expected out of any online store from 5 years ago. For godsakes, a shopping cart is a 6 month goal. A SHOPPING CART.

Final Warning

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
From day one our mission has been to keep as much of this site and community together as possible. After reviewing recent events and everything leading up to them, we concede with broken hearts that at least in part we have failed.

A lot of posts we've seen on the past few pages are embarrassing, toxic, and inexcusable. This is not just about the staff we have lost who have thrown their hands up in frustration and sadness. It's also about the many messages we've received from members who have felt intimidated and driven off. It's about all the posters who don't feel welcome here in a thread about one of the largest platforms in gaming.

Get back on the topic of PC gaming and stay there and do not derail this thread again with metacommentary.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Epic spent over 2 years making EGS and it didnt have a search bar until a few months post-launch. How are they supposed to outpace Valve?

cluto

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Hostility towards staff, trolling and ignoring staff post. Account in junior phase.
TCqU9kC.gif

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
What the hell is going on? Why is this thread looks like it just survived Thanos' fingersnap?

Sorry to hear that Jase is gone, I wasn't a part of the old forum, so I don't know you guys all that well, but if I ever said something that hurt you, I apologize.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Looks like PC gaming era is dead in all but formality.

Very sad. I still remember that one of the reasons I joined were JaseC's steam knowledge, Jshackles being the enhanced steam developer and stumpokapows impressively well reasoned posts.

It was such a nice and welcoming community (apart from one user I shall not name lol), fun to talk with and I even got to chance to play with some of them.

Lethal league with ozium, fighting games with leafy.

Then there were lashmans nigh botlike steam store posts and ListeningGardens visual novel about the community itself and Milamber, who was apparently a vastly bigger pervert than even me (#hero).

But pretty much all of those had already left before we moved to era.

Now with the constant bans for other classic members as well as all the ones that had joined since, the constant "staff posts" and the general dissent, this community isn't the one it used to be anymore.

Heck, it's not even the same in name anymore.

I'm not gonna leave this place completely (unless I get perm'd) but I'll making MC my main forum from here on out. (Feel free to join)

Thanks to all the people that made this community so worthwhile and endearing back on GAF, you were a great community ❤

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The moderation on this website is a team effort and no single person is responsible. While I might raise concerns about the quality of moderation here, at no point have I had any issues with any mod in particular, and always liked those who represent the community like Jase and Jaw. I'm completely sure they are aware of the issues we see and have generally been trying what they can.

It's a shame that not even Jaw feels totally comfortable posting here now.

I also find it a shame that this community seems to be dying. It's already nothing like what it was. This community is literally why I post here in the first place.

At the end of the day, I want moderation here to continue improving, and I want this community to thrive. Losing people like Jase obviously is the complete opposite of both those things.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Man, this is depressing. I lurk way more than I post, but 99% of the time I spend on gaming-side I read this topic (and supraland's... buy it)... It's the only sane place. I hope JaseC will be back, someday.

sanhora

Oct 25, 2017
From day one our mission has been to keep as much of this site and community together as possible. After reviewing recent events and everything leading up to them, we concede with broken hearts that at least in part we have failed.

A lot of posts we've seen on the past few pages are embarrassing, toxic, and inexcusable. This is not just about the staff we have lost who have thrown their hands up in frustration and sadness. It's also about the many messages we've received from members who have felt intimidated and driven off. It's about all the posters who don't feel welcome here in a thread about one of the largest platforms in gaming.

Get back on the topic of PC gaming and stay there and do not derail this thread again with metacommentary.
🤔

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really sucks to see JaseC go. He was always one of the most helpful members in this community even during rough times and when the climate against the moderation here began to get heated. Considering the circumstances I don't blame him for leaving though.

I don't get why the people who are so unhappy with this place, the moderation and this sites community in general since a very long time don't leave for MC instead of constantly shitting up this thread with their moderation complains.

That's what folk is doing, that's why this community is dying out

I remember your post from a few days ago.
You're defininetly not doing it despite announcing it just a few days ago. Essentially you just came back from a ban just to shit on the moderation again.

Nothing. Which is apparently all that's needed on this site unless you're a troll in PC threads.

I realized something during my ban, I don't even enjoy coming on here anymore. It's constant arguments and trolling and bad moderation, day in, day out. I'm done. I'll be around in the discord, but I need to take a bit of a break from here.

And no, questionnaires on Discord will not magically make me believe you're going to improve your moderating. We've heard this shit before - Actions speak louder than words.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I don't follow PC Era that much anymore but it's a shame to see the community so fractured. If JaseC needed to leave to be in a better place, then all the power to him.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
So! What games have we been playing lately?

I went back to Dark Souls Remastered recently, and I was surprised at how well I remembered where everything was. That giant interconnected world is still impressive to this day.

I was also surprised at how trivial much of the challenge was once you learn the patterns and keep your patience. Later games were well served by forcing you to get into the face of enemies.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

I went back to Dark Souls Remastered recently, and I was surprised at how well I remembered where everything was. That giant interconnected world is still impressive to this day.

I was also surprised at how trivial much of the challenge was once you learn the patterns and keep your patience. Later games were well served by forcing you to get into the face of enemies.
Been waiting for Imperator:Rome. The fact that in Sweden this weekend is a long one (Friday and Monday are holidays!) but it launches next week fucks everything up.
Otherwise, I have played some shorter narrative games and watched kitty videos. Damn kitty videos are too cute.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
homersimpson.gif

Anyone playing World War Z? What's the performance on PC? I'm torn because the ps4 version is having issues.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I wish JaseC all the luck in his life, I have been part of this community only since Era launched, because I was afraid of the possibile gatekeeping towards new users on the old site, but I always felt very welcome in these threads and this is surely also thanks to the mods here.

About that, I thought it was clear that concerns about moderation expressed by some users here were never against mods who are/were usually active in this thread and have a positive attitude when talking about PC-related topics. Even if I've never said much about that, I'm sorry JaseC and other mods here felt that way.

That said, when many users voice concerns about something, I really doubt that the "shut up and dribble" approach is the best way forward.
---
Sorry for derailing the thread again but I was writing this before Uzzy tried to get the thread back on topic.

Last edited:

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017

Been playing Dragon Quest XI again and it's cozy.

Also trying to squeeze in a run of Risk of Rain 2 but it's a bit hard because I didn't see a pause run function and runs take at least 40 minutes. But it's probably my favorite Roguelikelitelikelitelikelitelikelite together with Slay the Spire.

Also tried Supraland but I paused that for now.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

Slowly going thru Supraland myself.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
I have been getting into Prey (2017) just now, had problems trying to get the steam controller and Xbox controllers working with it when it came out.

Really good game and have been very impressed with it, still not a fan of the enemy design but the gameplay is well designed and offers quite a lot of options to progress through it.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I tried to play Escape from Paradise City, bought it at Gamersgate some time ago, and it's seemingly can't be played because you need to activate the key on a site that has been down for Cthulhu knows how many years. I had the same problem with Riddick a few years back (it uses the same Tages thing) but was able to fix it pretty quickly, no such luck this time.

So, I'm back to my Marvel universe playthrough, playing Rise of Apocalypse at the moment. Next, either Ulimate Alliance or Wolverine.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
I have been getting into Prey (2017) just now, had problems trying to get the steam controller and Xbox controllers working with it when it came out.

Really good game and have been very impressed with it, still not a fan of the enemy design but the gameplay is well designed and offers quite a lot of options to progress through it.
Without going into spoilers territory, dont quit the game during the end credits, there is an after credit bit that really ties it all together .

Deleted member 1105

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've been playing through Sniper Elite 4 in co-op with a friend and that has been wonderful. It's almost like a Hitman-lite set during WWII. As for something I have been playing on my own, I just picked Horizon: Zero Dawn up again after stopping just before the end of the game. I'm planning on getting through that and trying out the Frozen Wilds expansion.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, has anyone gotten a pop-up in the Steam client asking about verifying your email? That was odd. Been on the same email address for well over a decade.

Last edited:

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like PC gaming era is dead in all but formality.

Very sad. I still remember that one of the reasons I joined were JaseC's steam knowledge, Jshackles being the enhanced steam developer and stumpokapows impressively well reasoned posts.

It was such a nice and welcoming community (apart from one user I shall not name lol), fun to talk with and I even got to chance to play with some of them.

Lethal league with ozium, fighting games with leafy.

Then there were lashmans nigh botlike steam store posts and ListeningGardens visual novel about the community itself and Milamber, who was apparently a vastly bigger pervert than even me (#hero).

But pretty much all of those had already left before we moved to era.

Now with the constant bans for other classic members as well as all the ones that had joined since, the constant "staff posts" and the general dissent, this community isn't the one it used to be anymore.

Heck, it's not even the same in name anymore.

I'm not gonna leave this place completely (unless I get perm'd) but I'll making MC my main forum from here on out. (Feel free to join)

Thanks to all the people that made this community so worthwhile and endearing back on GAF, you were a great community ❤

It truly is a shame. I haven't been very active over the past few days so I guess I missed a lot. Hopefully we can bounce back. What's MC?

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (permanent): Extensive history of hostility towards members and staff
The fact that the only thing admins have come here to say is to tell people to shut the fuck up and threaten bans is telling. You've learned absolutely nothing. Your continuous refusal of taking responsibility for this needs and your continuous mishandling of the PCERA community is honestly embarrassing.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It truly is a shame. I haven't been very active over the past few days so I guess I missed a lot. Hopefully we can bounce back. What's MC?
MetaCouncil.
It's a forum that mostly has PCera regulars, past and present, posting on it.

It's more quiet than Era, but depending on who you ask that might not be a bad thing.

Last edited:

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
There's like zero reason for me to ever want to seriously or consistently post here again after what a bad look that staff post is. I'll be around but mostly just for news.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

I don't know if it's reasonable to expect us to just watch 90% of the more active posters in this thread get banned and pretend as if nothing happened. The PC community here on Era has been methodically and systematically dismantled. Shouldn't we, as a community, have an official answer as to why this happened? What went wrong and the community that has consistently maintained an extremely high level of civility and discourse in every single PC-focused thread ended up with so many people banned and its main thread in disarray? Many of us are here since the beginning of the site and we have offered a lot to this community. I feel like we deserve something more than "move along, nothing to see here".

I've been a member of Era since the site was created and the only warning I've ever received was for not reading the OP in a forum theme changelog thread. I think I've proven over time that I can contribute to the discussions happening here while respecting the rules of the community, but it is important that I speak up now because I believe you still might not be sure as to what exactly happened. I accept whatever action you feel is appropriate if you think that my post is out of line.

The current situation is a result of two things. The administration's mistake in not properly defining the PC platform and the moderation's significantly late response in addressing the situation in Epic Game Store threads.

Back when Era was still newly formed, the administration made the call to define the PC platform based on hardware, essentially using a console-like approach. The decision back then was that the moderation's protection of the platform from platform wars would only cover the hardware part and not Steam. That decision failed to recognize that Steam is an integral part of the PC platform. That decision, based on a console-based understanding of what a platform is, was catastrophic because it gave trolls free reign to disrupt, derail and shut down Steam-related threads with no fear of disciplinary action, since the moderators were instructed to treat Steam and Valve as a neutral third party instead of the de facto "face" of PC gaming.

This initial decision directly led to the clusterfuck that were the Epic Game Store threads. For a very long time, for several months in fact, platform warriors and trolls wreaked havoc in those threads with zero action from the moderation team. I said it back then and I'm saying I again now, it's not the moderation team's fault. They operated based on the policy set by the administration and their hands were pretty much tied. Eventually the moderators took action and the situation improved drastically but the damage was already done.

It was that initial mistake and months of continued inaction by the moderation that led many people of this community to their breaking point. We've been under constant pressure for many months and the administration and moderation failed to act in time. These are the results.

My recommendation as a part of this community is to find some more moderators that closely follow PC gaming so that they can get ahead of situations such as this and extend the platform protection to Steam until such a time that another service takes its place. The entirety of the PC community on Era did not turn into assholes overnight. You're doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.