• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tombstone for Orange should say:

• Windows ME is a good operating system

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • UN Ambassador for PC Gaming

Votes: 34 13.3%
  • Report this Orange man

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Still thinks PC Gaming is dead

Votes: 22 8.6%
  • ༼ つ ▀̿_▀̿ ༽つ (I have no idea if this one is allowed)

Votes: 57 22.3%
  • nice thread btw :)

Votes: 91 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Wanting to contribute to the community? Why not write up a preview for a May release? Or suggest a challenge or a retro game for people to check out? Don't need to write lots! If there's something you think we should keep an eye on next month, send it to me!

f6ioWic.png

Total War: Three Kingdoms - Uzzy
Life is Strange 2: Episode 3 - Uzzy
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Steel Division 2
A Plague Tale: Innocence
Pathologic 2
Rage 2
Observation
Team Sonic Racing - Tizoc
Warhammer: Chaosbane
Conan: Unconquered

FeZnHa9.png

NOTHING YET

SboGc1U.png

NOTHING YET

Feel free to contact me here, on Discord or on Steam to claim any of em.

Last edited:

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
In the new Giant Bomb Game Tapes someone says "Everyone has a thing for Chun-Li". Was that old footage from you, Uzzy

The real issue is that Infulencers are not a cure all like Epic would have you believe.

What I always think about with this system: Won't that only work for "no-name" developers who are willing to pay the most of their sales to influencers?

It's probably not as easy because as an influencer you got to know your audience, too, but if they have the sway that Galyonkin says they have that is my first thought.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
But Epic hired someone whose only relevant experience is scraping an API for data, making embarrassingly specious inferences that crumble under scrutiny, and having a woefully tepid understanding of the one platform that indirectly got him the job in the first place; and he said social media is far more valuable than platform-assisted user-to-user/user-to-developer interaction.

(Side-note: That's not to imply Steam's review system is perfect. It very much has its seat in the gulf between "worthless" and "perfect".)
Taking into account how much of the stuff Galyonkin said about Steam as a shop seems to be totally missing (or were missing on launch even when it was easy like in the case of regional prices) and there are other flaws in the shop that he had pointed out before, it seems he actually was just hired for what his title says "PR".
He is using the connections and indie know how he got during the Steam Spy time, as well as being a nice PR head to point towards them knowing what they are doing in the shop (even if Galyonkin himself doesnt really know that much about Steam nor how it works somehow).

In the new Giant Bomb Game Tapes someone says "Everyone has a thing for Chun-Li". Was that old footage from you, Uzzy

What I always think about with this system: Won't that only work for "no-name" developers who are willing to pay the most of their sales to influencers?

It's probably not as easy because as an influencer you got to know your audience, too, but if they have the sway that Galyonkin says they have that is my first thought.

Big issue with influencers is that most of the big ones would lose more money promoting your game even with a big cut, as the viewers would change to another streamer.
The target is midlevel influencers who have a semiloyal audience and that have a specific niche of genre. The issue then is that those influencers might not really care so much about the cut but rather would prefer new content and are the more likely to naturaly recommend the game regardless of the situation. Case in point: how Paradox uses Influencers to promote their games (and how it is ramping up now 2 weeks before launch) or how Anno is being promoted by Ubisoft.

Most indie games do not have that "semi infinite replayability" that most influencers look for (and that help sell more in twitch, as more story focused games can be "spoiled" through this media).

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
But Epic hired someone whose only relevant experience is scraping an API for data, making embarrassingly specious inferences that crumble under scrutiny, and having a woefully tepid understanding of the one platform that indirectly got him the job in the first place; and he said social media is far more valuable than platform-assisted user-to-user/user-to-developer interaction.

(Side-note: That's not to imply Steam's review system is perfect. It very much has its seat in the gulf between "worthless" and "perfect".)
I think you are underselling Steam's review system.

It's actually the best user system of anything that I'm aware of. (Of course, that still doesn't mean it's perfect, but if we are looking at the entire range from "worthless" to "perfect" I'd say it sits much closer to the latter than the former)

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

It's also a self-defeating idea.

If epic's influencer idea becomes the primary marketing source, then everyone will do it and by that nature, influencers will be primarily known for doing this.

Which would remove what makes them different then normal marketing. Because they become just standard paid marketing.

Being paid in revenue is not the same as being paid a sponsorship. Currently influencers are not directly tied to the success of the games they are sponsored to play.

This will change if Epic's system takes off.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
No. I am responding to the tweet. Context matters. But I don't need to tell you this, I'm sure, as you've a history of intellectual dishonesty.

Ok then, let me ask you a question. Do you think that tweet is indicative of the actual influence influencers can have on game sales? Meaning, do you agree that they are overrated? And I don't mean in comparison to other methods of spreading awareness, since in the original tweet there was no comparison being made.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can't think of any review system better than Steams.

The only thing I would change is their decision to exclude DRM complaints from the page review score under the new anti-review bombing system. IMO, DRM complaints are completely related to the game and should be included.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The real issue is that Infulencers are not a cure all like Epic would have you believe.

I don't really think this is actually their position. It's not like any of the EGS games (aside from maybe a brief burst of Spellbreak's Alpha) have gotten any real focus from influencers.

The store launched with a trailer at The Game Awards. I'd bet they will be all over E3, and that kind of exposure is hard to get if you don't have a major publisher, especially now with Sony sitting out this year (though they've been ignoring mid level and indie games the last couple years anyway).

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think this is actually their position. It's not like any of the EGS games (aside from maybe a brief burst of Spellbreak's Alpha) have gotten any real focus from influencers.

The store launched with a trailer at The Game Awards. I'd bet they will be all over E3, and that kind of exposure is hard to get if you don't have a major publisher, especially now with Sony sitting out this year (though they've been ignoring mid level and indie games the last couple years anyway).
There's not enough time during E3 to cover even a small percentage of pc games that come out during a year. Fact is they need a way for people to discover games for when they open the floodgates (if they ever decide to do so) because the way they are doing it now is only sustainable if they limit the amount of games that are allowed on the store to a relatively small number.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Ok then, let me ask you a question. Do you think that tweet is indicative of the actual influence influencers can have on game sales? Meaning, do you agree that they are overrated? And I don't mean in comparison to other methods of spreading awareness.

I think that tweet is indicative of his experience and therefore calls into question Galyonkin's sweeping belief that social media is the be-all end-all of word-of-mouth success. I mean, there is no denying that Twitter, Reddit, their ilk, and especially streaming services have their place in the current Zeitgeist. But, evidently, it's a net that can fail to catch smaller indie titles such as Supraland.

I am not saying social media and platforms that seek to tether developers with users are mutually exclusive. Rather, I am saying they can complement one another. That's not a belief Epic seems to share, which is an understanding I would argue is flawed -- that's my point. Users want to be heard, but they also want a meaningful voice; in other words, the ideal playing field rests somewhere between Steam reviews and the reach of social media that Epic hopes to rely on.

I'm sure there's an element of immaturity to review bombing, but I'd argue it happens because it's the only avenue these players have to express their dissatisfaction in a way that can't be flagrantly ignored. And that represents a problem. Not only with Steam's review system -- it remains to be seen how effective Valve's new policies will be at separating the wheat from the chaff -- but with the idea of public-facing user-to-developer communication in general.

Last edited:

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

I'm talking about their long term strategy, right now they are in spending mode to attract market share and their store's debut is marketing itself. Announcing games at big events is not sustainable because it was tied to EGS's debut marketing.

What about a 2 years later? When all these deals run out and they settle down? Epic said they are not doing marketing or discoverabiltiy like Steam and will leave that to the influencers that devs make deals with.

Currently Epic is paying for that. But they said that will end within a year.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
i just don't get why valve let 'funny' reviews be a thing. it completely undermines the whole review system and encourages spam or troll-y engagement.

if they have so little regard for contents, they should just let it be a thumbs up/down system with comments optional so it'd be easier to see thoughtful reviews (beyond just "most useful"). i imagine the anti-review bomb system would work the same.
The funny button was added after the original model of review because whenever you give the ability to a group of humans to make comments, a bunch of them will be assholes (who will get flagged and removed) or write funny comments (not likely to get flagged as people just find it... funny? and liked them)
The review process was started to get skewed with reviews that contained funny commentary that was not really flaggable (and sometimes contained actual good points) so Valve added the funny answer as a way to unskew those "funny" reviews through the power of public reaction. I assume that funny reviews get lower weight in the visibility of reviews, as most of the recommended ones are "serious".

It was a situation where they needed to redirect some of the activity of the users into more "positive actions" (wrt the review system) without outright banning that kind of commentary.

Last edited:

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
dOgWrUSh.png

Just finished my latest playthrough of Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines. What an all time classic of a game, the atmosphere is second to none.

I fired it up after that replay thread but couldn't really get into it, mostly due to no controller support and I haven't spent the time to set up a config. Shame as it looks like a unique game.

Can anyone recommend a good playthrough to watch instead? Or shall I just go for a no commentary one?

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
You should try Far Cry 5, you'll love it
I have tried and bounced off of every single Far Cry numbered game since 3, the only one I actually played through and enjoyed was Blood Dragon, Something about those games just doesn't click for me, The Metro series is by far one of my favourite series. and Exodus brought it up tons.
I like slow deliberate gameplay.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It is their position, they said as much. It's why they share revenue with influencers and don't have any actual plan to surface games. By their own admission they said they want to be a store where you go to get games you already know about.

Oct 25, 2017
I have tried and bounced off of every single Far Cry numbered game since 3, the only one I actually played through and enjoyed was Blood Dragon, Something about those games just doesn't click for me, The Metro series is by far one of my favourite series. and Exodus brought it up tons.
I like slow deliberate gameplay.

Wait, are we talking about the same Metro Exodus?
The one ditching everything that made Metro incredible and is now just an empty boring open world shooter?

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I think that tweet is indicative of his experience and therefore calls into question Galyonkin's sweeping belief that social media is the be-all end-all of word-of-mouth success. Social media -- streaming, particularly -- has its place in the current Zeitgeist, absolutely. But, evidently, it's a radar that can fail to detect smaller indie titles such as Supraland.
That's fair, however there's a real lack of details in that tweet to really ascertain what's possibly happening to make a fair judgement. Admittedly I never checked the thread so perhaps they've shed more light on it.. but we both know there's a million factors that can come into play which could potentially explain what happened. Some indie games get exposure and sell and catch on like rapidfire, others get the same exposure and don't.

I don't think Sergey's belief in social media marketing translates to 'every game that we pay big influencers to play will sell massively', or did I miss the memo? At the end of the day, the people playing these games have to actually look and believably be interested in what they are playing, and the game has to have the right energy to make things happen. Some games simply don't have that, and it can actually be detrimental to sales. However, I generally agree with the idea that the more eyes on your product, the better.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
I decided my next PC upgrade is going to be a monitor. I want 1440p 144Hz G-Sync/G-Sync compatible. It seems like the best two are the Asus pg279q and Aorus ad27qd. Rtings gives the edge to the Gigabyte monitor. Can anyone share (first-hand?) insights how they fair?

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I think after a number of funny ratings or the ratio to the other ratings a "funny" review shouldn't be counted towards the overall impression.
No thanks.

Back when I still wrote Steam reviews, Valve would occasionally remove 'likes' from reviews that they thought were too funny.
To give an example, here's my review for Test Drive Unlimited 2: https://steamcommunity.com/id/pepsimanvsjoe/recommended/9930/

Check out the huge disparity between 'people who found this helpful' and 'people who found this funny'. It didn't used to be like that.
One day Valve just up and erased 500+ likes from my review. Thus it went from being #1 or #2 on the store page to completely buried. This has happened with a number of other reviews that I've written.

I'm guessing they used an algorithm for it, an algorithm that can't understand reviews can be both informative and entertaining.

EDIT: I didn't know that Test Drive Unlimited 2 was removed from the store. RIP I guess.

Last edited:

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to question this, heavily.

- Someone with millions of subs
- and the video has 250k views
- can't be in English, so must be in the native language of the influencer because the dev correlates those 2 sales with that video.
- but from a country that has such low sales that he can say those 2 sales are from the influencer

Or was it a sponsored video with referral links?
Even if it was sponsored with a referral link, unless it is >20% discount, I would never use a referral link, because I can find it for a lower price or because I don't want to buy it immediately after watching a video

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Big issue with influencers is that most of the big ones would lose more money promoting your game even with a big cut, as the viewers would change to another streamer.
The target is midlevel influencers who have a semiloyal audience and that have a specific niche of genre. The issue then is that those influencers might not really care so much about the cut but rather would prefer new content and are the more likely to naturaly recommend the game regardless of the situation. Case in point: how Paradox uses Influencers to promote their games (and how it is ramping up now 2 weeks before launch) or how Anno is being promoted by Ubisoft.

Most indie games do not have that "semi infinite replayability" that most influencers look for (and that help sell more in twitch, as more story focused games can be "spoiled" through this media).

Correct.
As a developer/Publisher/PR-guy on behalf of the dev/pub you need to:
- know the Influencer
- know the niche of the influencer
- know the audience of the Influencer

Paradox has dozens of Influencers who don't get any money but a subscription to all of their games and DLC. The biggest Influencers are paid initially for sponsored content when a new game releases or a big expansion comes out. But the Audience doesn't care that they get paid for it, because those influencers and their audience are fans of Paradox games.
But it would be another tale if paradox would pay big influencers who has nothing to do with their games, like Shroud or ninja, their audience mostly doesn't care about Paradox games and the influencer himself would lose viewers.

An Influencer with 5.000 viewers who has a history of playing in that Genre/Niche is more valuable than an Influencer with 500.000 viewers.

On another Point: PR Agencies.
Cohh talked about it a month or two ago. He (or someone he know, don't remember) was contacted by a PR agency and they asked that he specifies what kind of Streamer he is, because "variety" is meaningless and they need to know what he plays in terms of Genre, so that they could forward offers to him.
On which he told his viewers, that shouldn't it be the task of the PR firm to find such things out? And Cohh played, X4, a space sim, my time at portia, a harvest moon-esque clone, Kingdom hearts, an RPG, path of exile, an Action RPG, etc. etc. what Genre should he tell them? He IS a variety streamer.

It looks like a bad PR agency, but all-in-all this kind of information is a market-niche. To know which Streamer is best for your client.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
That's fair, however there's a real lack of details in that tweet to really ascertain what's possibly happening to make a fair judgement. Admittedly I never checked the thread so perhaps they've shed more light on it.. but we both know there's a million factors that can come into play which could potentially explain what happened. Some indie games get exposure and sell and catch on like rapidfire, others get the same exposure and don't.

I don't think Sergey's belief in social media marketing translates to 'every game that we pay big influencers to play will sell massively', or did I miss the memo? At the end of the day, the people playing these games have to actually look and believably be interested in what they are playing, and the game has to have the right energy to make things happen. And I generally agree with the idea that the more eyes on your product, the better.

I don't have direct links on hand, but Galyonkin (or Sweeney, and I apologise to Galyonkin if my memory is failing me) extolled the virtues of social media reach in response to people questioning or otherwise criticising the lack of a review or forum system; the implication being that Epic felt that said features would do more harm than good and the social media alternatives were satisfactory. To be fair, however, these were comments made in the very early days of the store, and we've already seen a few renegs since then (e.g. the refund policy), so it's entirely possible there has been some internal rethinking on reviews/forums, especially in light of users relying on Steam Community hubs for help and discussion in cases where the game hopped from Steam to EGS (e.g. Ashen).

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to decide between playing Dragons Dogma or playing The Surge + DLC. After getting all achievements in sekiro I've been crippled by indecision :( any suggestions either way?

If it matters re: dragons dogma, I have DMCV but bounced off it because I'm not crazy about the combat system. I know itsuno directed both, but it doesn't seem like they're similar at all combat wise - am I mistaken?
Dragon's Dogma easily. It is quite unique and has great combat but totally different from Sekiro or Souls games, it can be slightly more casual but can also get intense when it wants to. Sadly you need to get late game to experience the combat to its fullest or get to the DLC island. Tons of childish giggling just from the dumb ways the combat can surprise you do something you totally were not expecting. Carrying enemies and throwing them off high cliffs never gets not funny.

Just don't stick around the main game too long though, it wears out its welcome quite fast.

I hear that the Surge is great but it is a Souls clone in the end, the combat was only ok from the demo I played.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Update from Supraland dev

Now as far as i know Valve expanded their dev store page to show traffic from and outside of the Steam so this should mean that people are finding about game by searching store.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I think you are underselling Steam's review system.

It's actually the best user system of anything that I'm aware of. (Of course, that still doesn't mean it's perfect, but if we are looking at the entire range from "worthless" to "perfect" I'd say it sits much closer to the latter than the former)

I think Chet said it best (to massively paraphrase because Twitter is playing up for me): people default to Steam's review system when they're angry because it's the strongest way to make their voice heard in a manner that can't easily be ignored. While it can be argued that the system can be weaponised represents a flaw, it is, as he also said (again, paraphrasing), indicative of a bigger question: do we want to remove reviews or learn from its faults and improve communication?

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I think that tweet is indicative of his experience and therefore calls into question Galyonkin's sweeping belief that social media is the be-all end-all of word-of-mouth success. I mean, there is no denying that Twitter, Reddit, their ilk, and especially streaming services have their place in the current Zeitgeist. But, evidently, it's a net that can fail to catch smaller indie titles such as Supraland.

I am not saying social media and platforms that seek to tether developers with users are mutually exclusive. Rather, I am saying they can complement one another. That's not a belief Epic seems to share, which is an understanding I would argue is flawed -- that's my point. Users want to be heard, but they also want a meaningful voice; in other words, the ideal playing field rests somewhere between Steam reviews and the reach of social media that Epic hopes to rely on.

We have here 1 dev who says Influencers are doing nothing with questionable scientific reasoning.
it is the devil's proof, you can't prove a negative. there could be hundreds of reasons why the video didn't add sales to the game.

You know what can be proven? the hundreds of examples where an Influencer DID have a significant impact on sales.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Now as far as i know Valve expanded their dev store page to show traffic from and outside of the Steam so this should mean that people are finding about game by searching store.

The First Tree devs and a few others have said something similar: Steam is remarkably good at getting people to see your game.

Marketing is important though, as marketing designed to feed people to your Steam page drives up wishlists, which is how you please the algorithm gods.

There was a great slide at GDC this year, where the dev for The First Tree showed a pie chart of views. This is a dude that marketed his game on Reddit for 2 years, got on the front page multiple times, had a successful trailer on YouTube, etc.

Organic Steam traffic still generated more views.

Last edited:

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

If he says, "screw marketing" did he sponsor the japanese video? If yes, did he use an influencer who has a history of games like Supraland? or did he market the game at an audience that had mostly watched Fortnite?

Or is it a case of self-fulfilling prophecy and he isn't using marketing because he doesn't believe in it and uses his game without marketing as the point to prove it?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
We have here 1 dev who says Influencers are doing nothing with questionable scientific reasoning.
it is the devil's proof, you can't prove a negative. there could be hundreds of reasons why the video didn't add sales to the game.

You know what can be proven? the hundreds of examples where an Influencer DID have a significant impact on sales.

I feel like you're butting against my head for no reason. The second sentence of my post acknowledges that influencers can have a part to play in the success of a game; the third sentence floats the idea that there's more to word-of-mouth than influencers; and the entire second paragraph argues that user reviews and such versus social media needn't be a zero-sum game. In short, we're not in disagreement.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have direct links on hand, but Galyonkin (or Sweeney, and I apologise to Galyonkin if my memory is failing me) extolled the virtues of social media reach in response to people questioning or otherwise criticising the lack of a review or forum system; the implication being that Epic felt that said features would do more harm than good and the social media alternatives were satisfactory. To be fair, however, these were comments made in the very early days of the store, and we've already seen a few renegs since then (e.g. the refund policy), so it's entirely possible there has been some internal rethinking on reviews/forums, especially in light of users relying on Steam Community hubs for help and discussion in cases where the game hopped from Steam to EGS (e.g. Ashen).
It was Galyonkin, he pointed to reddit, twitter, video platforms as the natural place to have those conversations. He called traditional forums outdated pointing to its structure of "last post wins" as a detriment to conversation (as opposed to easily manipulated systems like reddit upvotes or social algorithms amirite).

Reviews are on the docket, but I don't think they will change their opt-in stance which will obviously mean developers will only turn them on when they are certain there will be no surprises, ie. their patching period is over or public opinion is overwhelmingly positive in other channels, making them completely useless for anything other than self-fellating.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And is it, well, safe?
I was using them for a couple years without issue. Problems are:
  • Certain stores don't accept them, like Humble Bundle
  • They don't allow anonymous payments anymore*
  • A small added fee per each credit purchase like someone mentioned above*
Basically no real reason to choose paysafe over regular credit cards anymore.

* Not sure if those are unique to certain countries or the entire EU region.

Xclash

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, are we talking about the same Metro Exodus?
The one ditching everything that made Metro incredible and is now just an empty boring open world shooter?

Not the original person you quoted but I just finished Metro Exodus and it took me two months to beat. Best parts of the game to me were the bunker and the final mission. All of the open world areas were a hard miss as it wasn't enjoyable to get around. I'm legitimately baffled by most of the positive reviews on Steam.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The Last Tree devs and a few others have said something similar: Steam is remarkably good at getting people to see your game.

Marketing is important though, as marketing designed to feed people to your Steam page drives up wishlists, which is how you please the algorithm gods.

There was a great slide at GDC this year, where the dev for The Last Tree showed a pie chart of views. This is a dude that marketed his game on Reddit for 2 years, got on the front page multiple times, had a successful trailer on YouTube, etc.

Organic Steam traffic still generated more views.
https://www.pentadact.com/2019-04-10-steam-quirks-for-developers/

Great post by the developer of Gunpoint about how to please the Algorithm gods. I think it was posted before, but it is worth another repost.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Wanting to contribute to the community? Why not write up a preview for a May release? Or suggest a challenge or a retro game for people to check out? Don't need to write lots! If there's something you think we should keep an eye on next month, send it to me!

MWXs6zu.png

Total War: Three Kingdoms - Uzzy
Life is Strange 2: Episode 3 - Uzzy
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Steel Division 2
A Plague Tale: Innocence
Pathologic 2
Rage 2
Observation
Team Sonic Racing - I think Tizoc said they'd write something for this?
Warhammer: Chaosbane
Conan: Unconquered

CbGM7j3.png

NOTHING YET

sagZQvD.png

NOTHING YET

Feel free to contact me here, on Discord or on Steam to claim any of em.
Yup, I'll get it sent to you by month's end :)

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
It was Galyonkin, he pointed to reddit, twitter, video platforms as the natural place to have those conversations. He called traditional forums outdated pointing to its structure of "last post wins" as a detriment to conversation (as opposed to easily manipulated systems like reddit upvotes or social algorithms amirite).

Reviews are on the docket, but I don't think they will change their opt-in stance which will obviously mean developers will only turn them on when they are certain there will be no surprises, ie. their patching period is over or public opinion is overwhelmingly positive in other channels, making them completely useless.

Yes I remember that, forums are bad because of the 'last post wins'

Ignoring how Reddit and twitter have problematic popularity and 'first post controls the thread' effects.

And even the most vocal epic defender admits that optional reviews means no reviews outside of good reviews present already.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
If I see a video or stream of a game that convinces me to buy it, I go to Steam, search for it, and purchase it (or add it to my wishlist for later). Wouldn't that be counted as in-site traffic in Steam analytics?

I know for a fact that "influencers" drive purchases because of how many good games I've bought after they were recommended by cool online people with taste (who to a person would hate being called "influencers," which is an awful word). Of course there are plenty of streamers and video creators who don't drive sales. Some audiences simply aren't interested in the sort of small games that depend on word-of-mouth, they just want to watch whatever the streamer makes.

Oct 27, 2017
I was using them for a couple years without issue. Problems are:
  • Certain stores don't accept them, like Humble Bundle
  • They don't allow anonymous payments anymore*
  • A small added fee per each credit purchase like someone mentioned above*
Basically no real reason to choose paysafe over regular credit cards anymore.

* Not sure if those are unique to certain countries or the entire EU region.
Ah I see. I guess I'll steer clear then. Thanks!

Star Wars thingy just started, why not drop the trailer and be done with it lol

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

well that disproves that idiot in the Supraland thread saying the game success had nothing to do with Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.