• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tombstone for Orange should say:

• Windows ME is a good operating system

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • UN Ambassador for PC Gaming

Votes: 34 13.3%
  • Report this Orange man

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Still thinks PC Gaming is dead

Votes: 22 8.6%
  • ༼ つ ▀̿_▀̿ ༽つ (I have no idea if this one is allowed)

Votes: 57 22.3%
  • nice thread btw :)

Votes: 91 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Official Staff Communication
For the record the admin who posted the MW2 image had been preparing a lengthy reply and intended a serious discussion about the nature of consumerism. The mod team, completely separately, made a call to lock the thread as it had been deteriorating for a while.

This should've been nothing but because of unfortunate timing it gave the appearance of cause and effect, and due to the lock the serious discussion that was intended never materialized.

We recognize the faux pas and so have allowed some room for complaint here. A couple posters who have a history of jumping at opportunities for drama have been actioned. For the rest of us, let's move on.

Look, i don't wanna start any drama here, but i honestly gotta say these bans are a joke, especially their length.
Those were some really benign comments and i'm fairly certain they would have never been banned even half an hour for those if would've been towards any non-staff member.

I don't wanna start an argument or wanna hear a reply, i just wanna bring in my 2 cents and say the staff should reconsider those.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I hear it's 48% now. I'm not claiming that the following will happen, but 48% is enough to, in case something doesn't go the way they want, basically threaten to buy the remaining 3% and get full majority ownership. And I expect Tim Sweeney is fully aware of that.

USGamer's piece about xenophobia being the one reason for anyone raising concerns about who owns half of Epic is extremely problematic, though. I expect any future debate around the issue to be shot down with "stop being racist". Thanks, USGamer, you make journalism proud.

Yeah it sure would be weird if someone kept saying really weird shit about Epic and Tencent RE: the Chinese government huh

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
Pour one out for Lashley and Echo, who probably wont be back for a long time lol.

The whole bar!
LeanAnguishedBobwhite.gif

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I hear it's 48% now. I'm not claiming that the following will happen, but 48% is enough to, in case something doesn't go the way they want, basically threaten to buy the remaining 3% and get full majority ownership. And I expect Tim Sweeney is fully aware of that.

USGamer's piece about xenophobia being the one reason for anyone raising concerns about who owns half of Epic is extremely problematic, though. I expect any future debate around the issue to be shot down with "stop being racist". Thanks, USGamer, you make journalism proud.

They can't buy those 3% because as far as i know Tim holds 51%.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
For the record the admin who posted the MW2 image had been preparing a lengthy reply and intended a serious discussion about the nature of consumerism. The mod team, completely separately, made a call to lock the thread as it had been deteriorating for a while.
V0l2ZSW.gif

I always begin my lengthy and serious replies with shitty memes as well. Great mind think alike, I guess.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

If true it depends on who owns the remaining 52%. If it's Tim Sweeny I doubt he could be forced to sell more shares.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It didn't do this though. You don't get to whine about shutting down discussion when you're putting forward a bad foot yourself. Saying a reason some people are shitting their pants is because of Yellow Scare stuff does not equal saying everyone is.

Last edited:

PARANOiA

Oct 25, 2017
What other places are the to go to discuss PC gaming that have strong and clever communities? Reddit is too toxic for me, Metacouncil is tumbleweeds, RPS and Eurogamer feel like they ate dropping the ball on customers right now.. even on era this thread feels like the only sane place. It's all a bit disappointing.

Might be worth sinking into my backlog and waiting for all this to blow over.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if you are going to write up a long serious post, don't open it with a shitty meme. That's never going to go well.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
20 hours in DS II, still not feeling it at all. I guess I'll have to slog through it in order to finally start DS III.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
DS2 is a bit of a slog, especially with all the DLC.

Dark Souls 3 is fantastic. Especially with all the DLC.

Oct 25, 2017
DS II is the only Souls game I have finished more than once but I like them all.
I don't adore them like a lot of people do but they are fun games.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

This should've been nothing but because of unfortunate timing it gave the appearance of cause and effect, and due to the lock the serious discussion that was intended never materialized.

We recognize the faux pas and so have allowed some room for complaint here. A couple posters who have a history of jumping at opportunities for drama have been actioned. For the rest of us, let's move on.

As a member of this community I would like to ask that the moderators and administrators consider the circumstances that have caused some members to be on edge. Ever since this whole situation with Epic began I feel like we are constantly under fire. Every Epic thread, especially at first before the moderation team (to its full credit) began taking action to stop trolls from constantly spouting the same 'just asking questions' crap, was unbelievably stressful for a lot of us. I am quite certain that it is no picnic for you either, but it's not the same. It's really fucking hard to try to remain calm and collected when what feels like three quarters of the forum's membership that doesn't care at all about the issue decides to enter these threads, drop a piece of uninformed garbage and let us and you sort out the mess. It might be tough for you but it's even tougher for us because we have the sword of Damocles hanging over our heads if we break down from all the nonsense and lose our temper.

We are a core PC community with a customer-oriented focus on a console-focused forum full of platform warriors and industry people who are all indifferent at best and openly hostile at worst to the things we strongly believe in. If you value the diversity and different perspective that we can offer, you need to take steps to protect us. Until recently your moderation policies were not balanced and PC threads were basically open hunting season for anyone that wanted to troll without consequences. And please reconsider the length of those bans. Given the circumstances, the punishment does not fit the crime.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Ok so I just tried BFV on my new RTX card after playing it on X1X.
The good = it looks fantastic & runs great
The bad = I have to use a gamepad on pc

This is not ideal lol.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Oh

It appears this leak is fake. Yesterday, the same 4chan user claimedthat Super Mario Odyssey would be coming on the PC and that it would be exclusive to the Epic Games Store. Nintendo has not released any of its first-party games on the PC so this "leak" does not make any sense at all. Not only that, but the Super Mario Odyssey story reads exactly like the Red Dead Redemption 2 story so it's safe to assume that they are both fake. So yeah, while it makes sense – from a business perspective – to release RDR2 exclusively on the PC, you should not expect the game to be announced for the PC on April 22nd!
SM:Odyssey EGS exclusive confirmed!

oipic

Oct 25, 2017
Metacouncil is tumbleweeds

While I don't necessarily agree with that (I'm more of the thinking that it's a matter of quality over quantity at MetaCouncil - the signal to noise ratio is far better than here), Era is still the place to be if it's quantity that you seek... just need to be very selective and discerning as to what you bother reading (and more so, replying to). The tone and accepted 'standard' in regard to PC gaming was set long ago here, and allowed to fester...so aside from this thread, perhaps, it's a cesspit of PC ignorance and misinformation.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Thank goodness, that Dark Souls 2 is the best one thread the other day had 3/4ths of the replies acting like it was shovelware.

And lol what a load of wank at the incredible response that was sure to follow that image.

Last edited:

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I was so close to killing
the Guardian Ape. I just needed 2 more hits but I timed a parry poorly and he slashed me.
Time to try again for what seems to be the millionth time.
XqGsYwk.gif

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
Damn, I was so close to killing
the Guardian Ape. I just needed 2 more hits but I timed a parry poorly and he slashed me.
Time to try again for what seems to be the millionth time.
XqGsYwk.gif
I took forever to beat that one too. For me, the key was figuring out how to reliably avoid the grab attacks. I don't know why I had so much trouble with it.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

Look...I'm just going to say this as an objective viewer. You all yourself realise how the timing could have led people to think of that cause and effect and acknowledge it was a faux pas from the staff. So it should come as no surprise that people would jump to a conclusion. But that is not even remotely worthy of a ban, let alone the absurd length, when the staff themselves recognise the faux pas and the cause and effect from it.

Additionally, if the admin wanted to have that serious discussion then perhaps they should've have included that in their very post rather than just post a response with a meme and expect to add a serious response later. One cannot expect to start a serious conversation and not actually have that serious information in their opening post. A forum is a very fluid place with fast moving discussions, especially something that's as hot as that particular topic. It should come as no surprise that without the inclusion of that serious response the post would be taken at a face value....multiple times before the admin even has had a chance to make that serious comment. It's because no one other than the person preparing that response is aware of the followup, so naturally others would judge the already posted and available rely on the basis of what it contains i.e. the meme.

And I don't mean to offend anyone but that in itself is an example of jumping to conclusion and under any other circumstances that post without that aforementioned serious response would be considered to be drive by posting, but since you have the context....you realise it's not even if it appeared so initially. What I'm saying is that the context matters as well as the circumstances. If they don't then why do we even try to be a liberal forum?

Last edited:

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Metacouncil is tumbleweeds.

At least we won't have some random incursion from rabid Nintendo fans looking to pick a fight then vanished almost immediately. :-P

But seriously, MC might move slowly, but you can hardly find a more welcoming PC community elsewhere apart from this very thread. Don't mistake it for an echo chamber either, because we can still have different opinions without any corporate bootlicking involved. You can make a console-related thread or discussing emulation without it devolving into piracy discussion. You can hardly do the same thing in this forum.

Obviously we can discuss anime too but don't quote me on that.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
As a member of this community I would like to ask that the moderators and administrators consider the circumstances that have caused some members to be on edge. Ever since this whole situation with Epic began I feel like we are constantly under fire. Every Epic thread, especially at first before the moderation team (to its full credit) began taking action to stop trolls from constantly spouting the same 'just asking questions' crap, was unbelievably stressful for a lot of us. I am quite certain that it is no picnic for you either, but it's not the same. It's really fucking hard to try to remain calm and collected when what feels like three quarters of the forum's membership that doesn't care at all about the issue decides to enter these threads, drop a piece of uninformed garbage and let us and you sort out the mess. It might be tough for you but it's even tougher for us because we have the sword of Damocles hanging over our heads if we break down from all the nonsense and lose our temper.

We are a core PC community with a customer-oriented focus on a console-focused forum full of platform warriors and industry people who are all indifferent at best and openly hostile at worst to the things we strongly believe in. If you value the diversity and different perspective that we can offer, you need to take steps to protect us. Until recently your moderation policies were not balanced and PC threads were basically open hunting season for anyone that wanted to troll without consequences. And please reconsider the length of those bans. Given the circumstances, the punishment does not fit the crime.

These are my thoughts as well. I'd like to thank the mods for their excellent work in the EGS related topics. And I also want to ask to reconsider the length of these bans.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
I honestly still wouldn't be surprised by a RDR2 deal. It's a similar situation to Ubi, where they've already been trying to move to their own launcher. It gives them a pile of cash and cover for doing something they clearly already want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.