• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tombstone for Orange should say:

• Windows ME is a good operating system

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • UN Ambassador for PC Gaming

Votes: 34 13.3%
  • Report this Orange man

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Still thinks PC Gaming is dead

Votes: 22 8.6%
  • ༼ つ ▀̿_▀̿ ༽つ (I have no idea if this one is allowed)

Votes: 57 22.3%
  • nice thread btw :)

Votes: 91 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
They'd cry whilst doing it

12925655.jpg

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
any good keyboard recommendations guys?

Mechanical? Price range?

I have a Ducky One 2 and I would really recommend it if you're able to get one (alternate.be is a very good store if you're in Europe), it's cheaper and better built than every other more known brand I've tried before (Razer and Corsair mainly).

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Are all those publishers going exclusive on Epic going to sell their games in one year from the Epic release date for full price?
Because considering many of those games are on console, after 1 year the console verrsion prices will be 1/3 of the original one, maybe some of those games will have a GOTY released too, so they pretend Steam users to re-purchase their games again for the original price?

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
MK11 better not be Epic exclusive. I preordered that on GMG...

I feel like Katana Zero is the most Epic Store-ish game that hasn't been snapped up and it's 2 weeks 2 days off...

That would basically be Epic going 'Hey Bronson, we know you want this game the most' and buying it up

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
any good keyboard recommendations guys?

I have a Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo and really like it.

Best option is however either getting one, trying it and then returning it if it is not to your liking. Or try some in a store. Keyboards and mice are too subjective to give a general recommendations.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Disco Elysium being an exclusive would be disastrous that game needs every sale it can get.

Getting money from Epic for the now is all well and good but if no one buys your game good luck getting funding for another game.

While I'm not a fan of panic-preorders (see Metro: Exodus, etc.) I would def. nab Disco if it showed up on Steam's storefront for a limited time.

That damn game has been my #1 most anticipated release for like 2 years in a row, lol.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
real talk: Humble would be much better if they announced/released games weekly instead of a 1 day lump that you most likely just chuck it all in the backlog and forget about. At least weekly you could go "oh this looks neat, lets try this" and maybe possibly play it before the next thing came out. Also its just common sense to spread it out because a few new things every week is more exciting than 1 new thing once a month.

what I'm saying is that it should be more like gamepass (actually it was also the early Minit unlock that made me feel this way, as I actually ended up playing it). Of course this is all a moot point because sooner or later it will all be EGS keys and we wont care lol.

Deleted member 10852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mechanical? Price range?

I have a Ducky One 2 and I would really recommend it if you're able to get one (alternate.be is a very good store if you're in Europe), it's cheaper and better built than every other more known brand I've tried before (Razer and Corsair mainly).

Im open for everything, i know little to none about good keyboards

I have a Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo and really like it.

Best option is however either getting one, trying it and then returning it if it is not to your liking. Or try some in a store. Keyboards and mice are too subjective to give a general recommendations.

Yes, will try but i want recommendations first soo i can check it

Fanta

May 27, 2018
I wonder when we'll next see In The Valley of God's, I feel it would be a good VR game from what's been shown so far.

Nov 3, 2017
Im open for everything, i know little to none about good keyboards

Bear in mind some of the things you will be asked.
What layout do you want? Awesome ISO or stupid ANSI?
Do you want full size or a TKL jobbie without a number pad?
If you want a mechanical keyboard then do you want clacky Blue Cherry switches, tactile Cherry Brown switches or slippy-smooth Red Cherry switches or hybrids or standard dome jobbies?
Do you need NKRO so you can press tons of keys at once and have them all register or will standard 6-KRO do ya?

Yeah, there's a lot of questions if you can stomach them :)

Also try asking here: ResetEra Mechanical Keyboards OT
We're not that scary, honest.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ISO is life.

(Unless you go down the split multi-layer ortho rabbit hole. Full respect.)

But yeah, first question I would ask is do you want clicky switches (blue), linear (red), or tactile but non-clicky (brown). IMO blues are most satisfying to type on, but the least appropriate for games.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
That is hardly an argument. It is like we are back in the 90s when people would use this argument to advocate closed-source softwares.

If you need to keep your system secret to avoid any exploit, then:
  • there is suspicion, because nobody knows what you are doing,
  • you openly admit that your system is fragile, and that you do not trust it,
  • there will be exploits, it will just be slightly harder to find them,
  • you admit that you do not have time to fix the exploits,
  • you cannot benefit from others to improve your system of rules.

For starters, there's no point equating a system used for determining user-tailored visibility of products in a retail store to productivity tools or operative systems, as they're pieces of software driven by completely different needs and goals.

Discussing the actual effects of transparency, it should be emphasized that for transparency to have a positive impact you need to make sure users - in this case developers - are able to properly interpret and evaluate the data they're being provided, otherwise it will do more harm than good.

We've already seen a severe misunderstanding of several systems that are part of Steam's ecosystem. Regional pricing for example is completely transparent, with developers having full control over the system while Valve provides documentation and suggests pricing based on their data. Yet you still had articles like this with several developers (minus one who actually understood its importance) equating regional pricing to "forced discounts", dismissing research that showcases the significance of regional pricing and its positive effects in terms of sales and user acquisition.

Going a bit further, let's look at this article based on research conducted on student grading algorithms, which is a relatively comparable situation to the one we're discussing. It's worth a read and I'll quote a few paragraphs that should summarize the potential issues surrounding transparency in algorithms:

Nass's students claimed that those in one section of his technology interface course received higher grades on the final exam than counterparts in another. Unfortunately, they were right: two different teaching assistants had graded the two different sections' exams, and one had been more lenient than the other. Students with similar answers had ended up with different grades.

Nass, a computer scientist, recognized the unfairness and created a technical fix: a simple statistical model to adjust scores, where students got a certain percentage boost on their final mark when graded by a TA known to give grades that percentage lower than average. In the spirit of openness, Nass sent out emails to the class with a full explanation of his algorithm. Further complaints poured in, some even angrier than before. Where had he gone wrong?

The students had also been asked what grade they thought they would get, and it turned out that levels of trust in those students whose actual grades hit or exceeded that estimate were unaffected by transparency. But people whose expectations were violated – students who received lower scores than they expected – trusted the algorithm more when they got more of an explanation of how it worked. This was interesting for two reasons: it confirmed a human tendency to apply greater scrutiny to information when expectations are violated. And it showed that the distrust that might accompany negative or disappointing results can be alleviated if people believe that the underlying process is fair.

But how do we reconcile this finding with Nass's experience? Kizilcec had in fact tested three levels of transparency: low and medium but also high, where the students got not only a paragraph explaining the grading process but also their raw peer-graded scores and how these were each precisely adjusted by the algorithm to get to a final grade. And this is where the results got more interesting. In the experiment, while medium transparency increased trust significantly, high transparency eroded it completely, to the point where trust levels were either equal to or lower than among students experiencing low transparency.

Another problem with technical transparency is that it makes algorithms vulnerable to gaming. If an instructor releases the complete source code for an algorithm grading student essays, it becomes easy for students to exploit loopholes in the code: maybe, for example, the algorithm seeks evidence that the students have done research by looking for phrases such as "according to published research." A student might then deliberately use this language at the start of every paragraph in her essay.

But the biggest problem is that modern AI is making source code – transparent or not – less relevant compared with other factors in algorithmic functioning. Specifically, machine learning algorithms – and deep learning algorithms in particular – are usually built on just a few hundred lines of code. The algorithms logic is mostly learned from training data and is rarely reflected in its source code. Which is to say, some of today's best-performing algorithms are often the most opaque. High transparency might involve getting our heads around reams and reams of data – and then still only being able to guess at what lessons the algorithm has learned from it.

The main thing to take away from this is that Valve should focus on improving indie developers' trust on Steam. It's not about making their systems fully transparent, but rather making sure the rationale guiding their decisions is properly communicated and understood. Valve already provides a lot of tools, useful data and in-depth documentation, as well as doing regular updates about its improvements to the store, but these won't do any good if developers aren't taking advantage of them or don't trust the decisions Valve are making.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Talking of keyboards. My office colemak board now uses black, blank keycaps. Nobody else will ever be able to use my office machine ever again :D.

(unless they plug in their own board, or I switch it, of course).

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
The ANSI vs ISO debate depends a lot on where you're located. I'm in Italy and the market for QWERTY ISO keyboard here is extremely limited to a few models from very well known brands when it comes to mechanical keyboards.

If you're in a different market with more choices, you should go with the layout you're used to.

I switched to ANSI after 20 years using only ISO keyboards and got accustomed pretty quickly.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Disco Elysium and Mortal Kombat 11 both are getting Simplified Chinese localisations, which means I'm super skeptical about the "MK11 EGS exclusive" rumour from earlier.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
MK11 better not be Epic exclusive. I preordered that on GMG...

I feel like Katana Zero is the most Epic Store-ish game that hasn't been snapped up and it's 2 weeks 2 days off...

Epic doing the good work here, giving all PC Gamers further reasons to not preorder games. Well done Mr. Sweeney.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Nov 3, 2017
The ANSI vs ISO debate depends a lot on where you're located. I'm in Italy and the market for QWERTY ISO keyboard here is extremely limited to a few models from very well known brands when it comes to mechanical keyboards.

If you're in a different market with more choices, you should go with the layout you're used to.

I switched to ANSI after 20 years using only ISO keyboards and got accustomed pretty quickly.

I've used ANSI keyboards on Unix machines and SGI Workstations and i've never been able to deal with the tiny enter key. I can use them but i just don't like it.
Also i'm really sensitive to the layout and size of the shift-alt-ctrl cluster so i usually have to email the supplier to double check it's ISO layout and the type of ctrl-alt-shift keys.

Also due to RSI issues i've moved to TKL keyboards and never looked back.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
I could see Epic getting Biomutant...
That's why I put a red ?! there :D
Afterparty I had zero goddamn chance on I'll go wherever they go

Lol at the other ones though, that's like half your damn list
Epic knows I have the best taste in games
You're forgetting Shenmue 3, which is both published by Deep Silver and it uses UE.
Plus since it's a Kickstarter project probably DeepSilver will fuck it up.
... I backed Shenmue 3

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've used ANSI keyboards on Unix machines and SGI Workstations and i've never been able to deal with the tiny enter key. I can use them but i just don't like it.
Also i'm really sensitive to the layout and size of the shift-alt-ctrl cluster so i usually have to email the supplier to double check it's ISO layout and the type of ctrl-alt-shift keys.

Also due to RSI issues i've moved to TKL keyboards and never looked back.
If RSI is an issue, maybe you should try out a split ortho design like the ergodox. After you have the layout down, you can try moving to an optimised key layout like Colemak, Workman, etc. They reduce hand movement quite a lot compared to qwerty.

On a budget, there is always SmartYao

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
To make it clear, when I mentioned earlier another supposed EGS exclusive was dropping today I wasn't talking about Mortal Kombat 11. No idea where that rumor comes from, just making sure it's not because of that post that people are discussing it.

I was talking about this:

It's the game formerly known as Project Wight that was being shown at GDC. No details on platforms (beyond the standard PC, XB1, PS4) have been revealed yet though. It's not locked for a 2019 release, so they might be waiting before revealing anything else.

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Be more surprised if Biomutant isnt EGS exclusive than I'd be if it was

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
http://blog.bioware.com/2019/04/02/anthem-game-development/

Fast response

We'd like to take a moment to address an article published this morning about BioWare, and Anthem's development. First and foremost, we wholeheartedly stand behind every current and former member of our team that worked on the game, including leadership. It takes a massive amount of effort, energy and dedication to make any game, and making Anthem would not have been possible without every single one of their efforts. We chose not to comment or participate in this story because we felt there was an unfair focus on specific team members and leaders, who did their absolute best to bring this totally new idea to fans. We didn't want to be part of something that was attempting to bring them down as individuals. We respect them all, and we built this game as a team.

We put a great emphasis on our workplace culture in our studios. The health and well-being of our team members is something we take very seriously. We have built a new leadership team over the last couple of years, starting with Casey Hudson as our GM in 2017, which has helped us make big steps to improve studio culture and our creative focus. We hear the criticisms that were raised by the people in the piece today, and we're looking at that alongside feedback that we receive in our internal team surveys. We put a lot of focus on better planning to avoid "crunch time," and it was not a major topic of feedback in our internal postmortems. Making games, especially new IP, will always be one of the hardest entertainment challenges. We do everything we can to try and make it healthy and stress-free, but we also know there is always room to improve.

As a studio and a team, we accept all criticisms that will come our way for the games we make, especially from our players. The creative process is often difficult. The struggles and challenges of making video games are very real. But the reward of putting something we created into the hands of our players is amazing. People in this industry put so much passion and energy into making something fun. We don't see the value in tearing down one another, or one another's work. We don't believe articles that do that are making our industry and craft better.

Our full focus is on our players and continuing to make Anthem everything it can be for our community. Thank you to our fans for your support – we do what we do for you.

JarrodL

Oct 27, 2017
So everything people speculated that happened with Anthem development, actually happened

https://kotaku.com/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong-1833731964
Wow.
Perhaps most alarming, it's a story about a studio in crisis. Dozens of developers, many of them decade-long veterans, have left BioWare over the past two years. Some who have worked at BioWare's longest-running office in Edmonton talk about depression and anxiety. Many say they or their co-workers had to take "stress leave"—a doctor-mandated period of weeks or even months worth of vacation for their mental health. One former BioWare developer told me they would frequently find a private room in the office, shut the door, and just cry. "People were so angry and sad all the time," they said. Said another: "Depression and anxiety are an epidemic within Bioware."

Status
Not open for further replies.