• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tombstone for Orange should say:

• Windows ME is a good operating system

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • UN Ambassador for PC Gaming

Votes: 34 13.3%
  • Report this Orange man

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Still thinks PC Gaming is dead

Votes: 22 8.6%
  • ༼ つ ▀̿_▀̿ ༽つ (I have no idea if this one is allowed)

Votes: 57 22.3%
  • nice thread btw :)

Votes: 91 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Yeah, female lead is where I think a lot of games will fall-down. :/ I'll check the Darksiders games out, though - I think I've got 1 and 2 from a bundle or something. :)

The first one is a bit rough but still enjoyable.

2nd one is a big improvement especially gameplay wise.

Still worth playing though - and is surprisingly cheap.

I have both remaster and OG versions for both games on Steam. Planning to get the third one in the future - dont think my current PC can run it lol....may get it on PS4 first and Steam version later when I upgrade my rig.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.resetera.com/threads/st...reported-game-risk-of-rain-2-2-dmc5-3.109048/

Risk of Rain 2 was the 2nd most reported game on Protondb last month. Behind Sekiro but ahead of DMC5.

Seems Linux people are also really enjoying it.

Grim Dawn has received a boost thanks to the DLC update, which also fixed a long running bug with the Steam version of the game breaking in Proton because of DRM preventing named monsters from spawning.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I mean, realistically, both should happen. Recognising the toxicity of a community is the first step in trying to get rid of that toxicity. At the same time, over-reacting to every bit of criticism and correcting everyone/everything is also bad - it's how you get "Not all men". It's basically walking a fine-line between seeing there's a problem and fixing it, and not being paranoid and having a persecution complex.

Anyways...

PC gaming. Woo! I got a question:

Are there any games like Horizon: Zero Dawn on PC? Specifically, are there any games that are:

Third Person
Open World
RPG-Light (Skill Points, Progression, Weapon Improvement)
Female main character

If not, are there any that are close? Obviously they also have to be good. :) The best I can come up with are The Witcher games, GTA 5 and maybe AssCreed Odyssey?
Well, games where you can create a character like Skyrim, Fallout 3/New Vegas/4, Dragon's Dogma could work as they allow full character customization. Otherwise, Elex, Deus Ex, AC Origins and even the latest Mordor game could work. Kingdoms of Amalur is an older game and it has its issues but its pretty good. Divinity 2 Developer Edition (not the Divinity 2 Original Sin), Dragon's Age Origin or Inquisition also could work.

Far Cry or Watch Dogs games are another somewhat obvious starting points as well. Oh, and best one, Yakuza 0! Open world, RPG Lite, great humor and great gameplay.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Are there any games like Horizon: Zero Dawn on PC? Specifically, are there any games that are:

Third Person
Open World
Female main character

If not, are there any that are close? Obviously they also have to be good. :) The best I can come up with are The Witcher games, GTA 5 and maybe AssCreed Odyssey?
AC Odyssey should be the closest one to Horizon. It's better in certain parts too.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
ok are
ghosts in the hidden forest
supposed to give you 620 exp

that seems like a dumb amount of experience lol

also play dragon's dogma as a cute girl it's the best game ever

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Well, games where you can create a character like Skyrim, Fallout 3/New Vegas/4, Dragon's Dogma could work as they allow full character customization. Otherwise, Elex, Deus Ex, AC Origins and even the latest Mordor game could work. Kingdoms of Amalur is an older game and it has its issues but its pretty good. Divinity 2 Developer Edition (not the Divinity 2 Original Sin), Dragon's Age Origin or Inquisition also could work.

Far Cry or Watch Dogs games are another somewhat obvious starting points as well. Oh, and best one, Yakuza 0! Open world, RPG Lite, great humor and great gameplay.

AC Odyssey should be the closest one to Horizon. It's better in certain parts too.

also play dragon's dogma as a cute girl it's the best game ever

Woot! Cheers for all the suggestions! :D Though now very frustrated that I passed on AC Odyssey when it was on sale recently. :p

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
in dragon's dogma i forgot to submit a piece of evidence at a man's trial and they executed him and then his child turned into a vendor

it's good videogame

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Everytime when I try to install stuff on Steam, everything in my currently installed list redownloads, then it stops the download of the new game about 3GB in and says 'DISK WRITE ERROR.'

Updating my drivers but, has anyone ran into this issue?

Oct 27, 2017
Everytime when I try to install stuff on Steam, everything in my currently installed list redownloads, then it stops the download of the new game about 3GB in and says 'DISK WRITE ERROR.'

Updating my drivers but, has anyone ran into this issue?
Run Steam as administrator.

If that fails, defrag your disk drive. If that fails I think it is ded

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Risk of Rain 2 after you loop back to the first area is goddamn insanity
My video card cries out
My framerate dies out
My brain breaks out

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Neither Witness nor Kairo . I wish I had more to go on. Thanks for trying to help me out.
Not it either, but does help my friend out to add games like this to her list, so thank you.
There's Obduction.

Figuring out a language isn't a core mechanic, but figuring out an Alien numerical system is central to a handful of puzzles.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I mean, realistically, both should happen. Recognising the toxicity of a community is the first step in trying to get rid of that toxicity. At the same time, over-reacting to every bit of criticism and correcting everyone/everything is also bad - it's how you get "Not all men". It's basically walking a fine-line between seeing there's a problem and fixing it, and not being paranoid and having a persecution complex.

Anyways...

Third Person
Open World
Female main character

The obvious one is the new Tomb Raider trilogy. I'm pretty sure those are open world.

Bayonetta fits all the boxes, except open world.
-same with Remember me- a really cool action/adventure, actually, but almost entirely linear.

Saints Row games let you play as female.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
The obvious one is the new Tomb Raider trilogy. I'm pretty sure those are open world.

Bayonetta fits all the boxes, except open world.
-same with Remember me- a really cool action/adventure, actually, but almost entirely linear.

Saints Row games let you play as female.

Ehhh, we're playing the first of the new Tomb Raider trilogy now, and it's very linear. I think I read the 2nd and 3rd ones were less linear, though? I bought the 2nd one ages ago, but not got the third yet. And i totally forgot about Remember Me - I really have to give that a go. Saints Row games aren't my kind of humour, so meh. But cheers. :D

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
What little i played of horizon zero dawn came off as uninspired and dull. A shame really as Aloy is a neat protagonist.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
What little i played of horizon zero dawn came off as uninspired and dull. A shame really as Aloy is a neat protagonist.
Yup, I dropped it after 12 hours. I stopped enjoying myself after 6 but I thought the game would become better but nope.

I started the Leon campaign in RE2 after beating Claire A and for some fucking reason this one is scarier than the first time I cleared it.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tomb Raider games are not open world in that sense. They have linear sections and other hub sections.

AC Odyssey is pretty much it. Also Kassandra is the best thing Ubi has done yet.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
i-amp-039-m-a-gamer_o_1895985.jpg

giphy.gif

FunnyJay

Oct 27, 2017
When you are paranoid enough of gaming outlets that you end up questioning whether PC Gamer mentioning in passing the small possibility of the upcoming announcement of Index being an April Fools prank is some kind of forced negative note against Steam that all articles need to have, starting a short pile up on them, like just happened towards the end of the last March thread, then maaaaaybe it'd be good for you to take pause for a sec and seriously consider the merits of why you might be seen by others as rabid fans akin to GGers.

Yeah, that was me. Thanks for comparing my post to GG.
/s

Seriously though, a lot of PC video gaming outlets have (in my opinion) handled the EGS stories quite poorly, brushing aside any "regular" concerns and lumping them together with the crazy people screaming about conspiracies.
This, (again in my opinion) makes it hard for any serious discussion (and/or criticism) to be had (EDIT: on those websites/articles).

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Amplitude Studios last year: We're going to make a Horatio visual novel! What japes!
Amplitude Studios this year:

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
I remember watching the noclip doc on half life and listening to Randy's story about CS: Condition Zero. He's probably on better terms now but maybe never forgot. They edit out the part on how he feels today about it.

Thanks for sharing that video. I did not know the story behind them.

Can u explain to me how Epic Store was supposed to come into the industry and take market share away from Steam?

Build a time machine and launch their store 10 years ago. Steam is too big now.

- Building exclusivity from their own games. Using their money by continuing to fund projects like UT, Paragon, etc instead of removing options from people by buying third party exclusivity. Even their whole console exclusive purchasing thing is fine by me, because that gives options to people instead of removing it. Paying to localize the huge amount of Asia-exclusive PC games I would also be happy with.
- Building features people actually want to use. I've labelled a few in the past, like inbuilt sandboxing, advanced library filtering (which Steam is now getting in a few months, but was unknown at the time the Epic store started).

Fortnite is exclusive to the EGS, and this has not drawn Steam customers towards the EGS. Paragon won't as well, even if TIm throws money at it.

Buying console exclusives and localizing Asian PC games could make sense.

As for features, you said that itch has sandboxing, and this does not draw customers.

Similarly, Steam has been really successful for years without any decent library filtering, so it does not make sense for EGS to have these, especially with only a few games on their store.

You're supposed to play feature catch up BEFORE product launch, not after lol. Especially if you're courting exclusives in this manner.

It is better to release early, prioritize and iterate. You get feedback from customers.

Last edited:

yaffi

Oct 28, 2017

Anyways...

Third Person
Open World
Female main character

Venetica, maybe? But it's kinda old and classic eurotrash, and I can't remember how open world it is.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
My vague memory of of a screenshot remembers just a monolith with words on it, and us talking about it in a previous thread (might have been on the other site) about how it would be a good idea to write down notes to try and figure it out.

FEZ?

Hyper Light Drifter?

No Man's Sky? (unlikely)

Space Engineers?

FRACT OSC?

Last edited:

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I'm about 4 pages late but god I hate when they start by saying "I, as a customer" to try and prove how impartial they are when even a kid would understand that their position is not an impartial one since they're pretty much saying "I, as a customer (which I'm not) would buy my game on X store (which I won't since I'm not a customer but I would, I promise) so BUY MY GAME ON THIS STORE".

Remember me is so bad though.

No. It's so good that I called my cat Nilin.

(It's OK)

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Did they actually confirm that Control and Outer Wilds are going to be exclusive for a full year or we just took it for granted since all previous exclusivity deals were 12 months long? What if they're 6 months exclusives like Borderlands?

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I need to get back to Dragon's Dogma. I was thinking of going back to it after finishing Dark Souls 3 but as soon as I did that Sekiro was released lol. I've also been replaying Resonance of Fate (had already played it on PS3) and I'm really enjoying revisiting that game. If it weren't for family sharing I'd give my backlog way more attention since I can't afford to buy new games, what a stupid feature :P

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
bcd1suO.png

gosh this game is beautiful (even on my terrible computer!)

i may have played like 6 hours straight tonight?

pretty sure i'm getting close to the end, and this is probably gonna be my favorite since dark souls. i just love everything about it, the story is really mysterious and sad and i really like all these characters and this world is just kind of mesmerizing. once the combat clicks it can be a bit of an easier experience than dark souls but i don't see how that's a bad thing and i've really enjoyed all (most) of these boss fights

and i love monkeys

this game rocks

Man, I need to get back to Dragon's Dogma. I was thinking of going back to it after finishing Dark Souls 3 but as soon as I did that Sekiro was released lol. I've also been replaying Resonance of Fate (had already played it on PS3) and I'm really enjoying revisiting that game. If it weren't for family sharing I'd give my backlog way more attention since I can't afford to buy new games, what a stupid feature :P
yeah dragon's dogma is a gem, don't sleep on it

dark souls 3 can wait in the trash bin

He sounds terrified

He got his money and now he has to break it to everyone, but he's not ready for the backlash.
lol considering randy pretty much shrugged off his assistant running off with a million or two, he's probably got this under control

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
bcd1suO.png

gosh this game is beautiful (even on my terrible computer!)

i may have played like 6 hours straight tonight?

pretty sure i'm getting close to the end, and this is probably gonna be my favorite since dark souls. i just love everything about it, the story is really mysterious and sad and i really like all these characters and this world is just kind of mesmerizing. once the combat clicks it can be a bit of an easier experience than dark souls but i don't see how that's a bad thing and i've really enjoyed all (most) of these boss fights

and i love monkeys

this game rocks

yeah dragon's dogma is a gem, don't sleep on it

dark souls 3 can wait in the trash bin

Well, like I said I'm done with DS3 (game is great, the hell you talking about?) but like you I'm playing Sekiro and as someone who plays on average 30-45 minutes per day, fitting a massive game like DD into my schedule is tough.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
People wouldn't need to dial it back if they didnt had to repeat for the 1000th time basic stuff to "concerned people" that "genuinely asks" about "isn't it just another launcher ?".
And they wouldn't need either if the press didnt take such a biased stance toward that kind of practice. In fact, I remember the press being less lenient when Rise of the Tomb Raider was exclusive and was more willing to press Phil Spencer with questions about that.

I am preparing a new thread about the Epic Games Store controversy that will function as a beginner's guide and FAQ. The idea is to answer is many of these questions as possible in order to just link to that thread whenever someone asks these questions in another thread. Hopefully it will help in keeping the other threads cleaner.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I am preparing a new thread about the Epic Games Store controversy that will function as a beginner's guide and FAQ. The idea is to answer is many of these questions as possible in order to just link to that thread whenever someone asks these questions in another thread. Hopefully it will help in keeping the other threads cleaner.

Spoiler alert: It wont happen. A lot of people are just arguing in bad faith.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

You're better off writing a guest article somewhere and linking to that. Thread will probably shit itself faster than you can hit that post button.

Status
Not open for further replies.