• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tombstone for Orange should say:

• Windows ME is a good operating system

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • UN Ambassador for PC Gaming

Votes: 34 13.3%
  • Report this Orange man

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Still thinks PC Gaming is dead

Votes: 22 8.6%
  • ༼ つ ▀̿_▀̿ ༽つ (I have no idea if this one is allowed)

Votes: 57 22.3%
  • nice thread btw :)

Votes: 91 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have literally the biggest exclusive in the world and they're free to make plenty more. As a consumer it's not your job to be a cheerleader for anti-consumer platforms.
lol dude, you really ought to rethink who you're insulting cause it really just makes me want to align with you less. I asked you a simple question, cause from my perspective,(i listen to journalists/podcasts alot) it did seem unreasonable and other people have informed me as to what the actual legit criticisms are. All you've done is make me think less of you so congratulations.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone actually "attacking" journalists* is dumb.

On the other hand, I'll gladly call out their stupid arguments, and make fun of them. That gaming is super aggressive and full of right wing dipshits who throw death threats at anything is sad, fucked up reality. Hell, even Reddit of all places needed a day off from the Gaming community.
But equating all criticism of Epic as being toxic is disingenuous to some fairly legitimate complaints people have.

* = I feel we should really retire this moniker, "games writer" seems more fitting and also inclusive to non-commerical stuff like blogs. Most of the interesting writing in games I have seen are from some really niche noncommercial outlets
Man zyki might have been right about us being dupes because this here is exactly my stance.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, this is what I was looking for. Makes alot of sense. Seems they really should've waited until they had more features instead of launching with Fortnite money and a bunch of promises.
My first experience with the store was going through the page with curiosity, reaching the mod tools and finding a game I didnt see in the list.
Try to find the search function to find it, as I though I skipped it. Not finding the search function.
Try to see if there were categories or something like that to narrow the search. Nope the whole store is just one list that redirects you to other games.

Is that what a shop is supposed to be like? Because I havent had such a bad experience in e-shopping for years.

And then in GDC they tell me that the UI of the store was a beta and will be changed. A store that just launched is just telling me they will change everything of it in a year.
And they continue saying it has been planned for years.

Where has all the "planning" gone? Cause it sure as hell wasnt on making a good product.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

On the other hand, I'll gladly call out their stupid arguments, and make fun of them. That gaming is super aggressive and full of right wing dipshits who throw death threats at anything is sad, fucked up reality. Hell, even Reddit of all places needed a day off from the Gaming community.
But equating all criticism of Epic as being toxic is disingenuous to some fairly legitimate complaints people have.

* = I feel we should really retire this moniker, "games writer" seems more fitting and also inclusive to non-commerical stuff like blogs. Most of the interesting writing in games I have seen are from some really niche noncommercial outlets

I'd like to think this forum of all places can disassociate complaints about a group of people equaling criticism of that entire group and people in that association.

We have threads about the meaning of capital G Gamers like every month here.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My first experience with the store was going through the page with curiosity, reaching the mod tools and finding a game I didnt see in the list.
Try to find the search function to find it, as I though I skipped it. Not finding the search function.
Try to see if there were categories or something like that to narrow the search. Nope the whole store is just one list that redirects you to other games.

Is that what a shop is supposed to be like? Because I havent had such a bad experience in e-shopping for years.

And then in GDC they tell me that the UI of the store was a beta and will be changed. A store that just launched is just telling me they will change everything of it in a year.
And they continue saying it has been planned for years.

Where has all the "planning" gone? Cause it sure as hell wasnt on making a good product.
Yeah, I totally see how frustrating an experience that is, and then you compound it with being the only place or service to buy the game, its too much. Seems like they should lay off this strategy until they're actually comparable to Steam, and not seriously lacking. Someone said Origin is better than EGS at this point, that's really unacceptable. Good to know. I've yet to buy anything from EGS so I had no experience with it.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I totally see how frustrating an experience that is, and then you compound it with being the only place or service to buy the game, its too much. Seems like they should lay off this strategy until they're actually comparable to Steam, and not seriously lacking. Someone said Origin is better than EGS at this point, that's really unacceptable. Good to know. I've yet to buy anything from EGS so I had no experience with it.
I mean, I said Origin is better than EGS right now (and even more at launch). Heck most stores are better than EGS right now (even eShop and that is a big piece of shit). uPlay and Origin both have Cloud saves and a better library interface and shopping experience.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
This.

They're not journalists. And the ones that ostensibly are supposed to be, the ones writing news don't even bother with the most rudimentary of journalistic practices.

The thing that brought it out in stark contrast is how all outlets ended up quoting the valve statement from bleeping computer, despite most outlets covering the story far earlier. Nobody could even be bothered to even get a statement from the entities involved. Everyone put their crappy opinion swirled into their "news" reporting.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
JgX7Jwd.png

It is with sad news that I am officially stepping down from making the monthly PC/Steam thread duties starting today. I've been making these threads since 2012 and after 7+ years it's time to move on. Making these threads while tiresome and requiring a lot of man hours has been fun to do and I am proud of what we have achieved as a community.

There isn't any real good reason why I've decided to stop, maybe it's just I turn 30 this month and I feel like I've done what I can here. I wanted to quit many times before but something always kept me hanging on all these years. So yeah I guess that means no more joke threads. But I'm sure you peeps will live.

My replacement has been chosen as Uzzy , I am sure he can lead on and wish him all the best and to this community we have built over the past decade or so. I've spoken to him and he will be making the May thread and all future threads.

We've come a long way from the days of NeoGif where it took us a year to fill up a thread to having monthly threads, recommendations, monthly challenges, retro monthly and lets not forget our GOTY's which are always a blast. I hope these continue in some manner for the community.

It's been a blast and I'll try and not to be a stranger round these places. Thank you for posting and reading and just being party of this community.

See you around.

MROROANGE

OtRaLc9.png

It was fun MrOrange.
Thanks for keeping this place going over the years. I've also just kind of pottered off for the most part, finding it more convenient to send the odd discord message than be active here. Hope all is going well. Will no doubt catch you around here and there, maybe discord and Steam I'm sure!

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018
It is fun to call games writers out on their strawmen though, and they'll never have a good answer. Thread:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Parsec is dope.

Has made my friend enjoy PC Gaming again since was can play a lot of local coop games now but via the web.

Co-op career mode in FIFA 19 is what we're currently doing, but playing WWE 2k19 and just pissing about is fun too.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like The Division 2 would be more expensive than Borderlands 3. It's Ubisoft after all, the biggest multiplatform publisher on earth.

But not actually exclusive either. Being able to sell the game on Uplay likely made their fee quite a bit lower.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like The Division 2 would be more expensive than Borderlands 3. It's Ubisoft after all, the biggest multiplatform publisher on earth.
Yeah, but they're also not stupid, they know they're not going to get customers from Ubisoft titles. This is about sabotaging steam, not making their store succeed on the basis of Ubisoft titles.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I said Origin is better than EGS right now (and even more at launch). Heck most stores are better than EGS right now (even eShop and that is a big piece of shit). uPlay and Origin both have Cloud saves and a better library interface and shopping experience.
Seems like they want to have their cake and eat it too. If they keep it up they're going to burn out. You're supposed to play feature catch up BEFORE product launch, not after lol. Especially if you're courting exclusives in this manner.

Come on, Imran, you're better than this.
Steam gamers are definitely out here attacking folks though. You can dial it back abit and still get your point across..

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they want to have their cake and eat it too. If they keep it up they're going to burn out. You're supposed to play feature catch up BEFORE product launch, not after lol. Especially if you're courting exclusives in this manner.

PC gamers are definitely out here attacking folks though. You can dial it back abit and still get your point across..

People wouldn't need to dial it back if they didnt had to repeat for the 1000th time basic stuff to "concerned people" that "genuinely asks" about "isn't it just another launcher ?".
And they wouldn't need either if the press didnt take such a biased stance toward that kind of practice. In fact, I remember the press being less lenient when Rise of the Tomb Raider was exclusive and was more willing to press Phil Spencer with questions about that.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
No doubt some people are asshats, but there is a real problem with the press just lumping everyone together regardless of their behavior. There are legitimate reasons for not wanting to support Epic. It would be nice to not be written off as some kind of insane Steam fanboy for simply pointing them out.

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
People wouldn't need to dial it back if they didnt had to repeat for the 1000th time basic stuff to "concerned people" that "genuinely asks" about "isn't it just another launcher ?".
And they wouldn't need either if the press didnt take such a biased stance toward that kind of practice. In fact, I remember the press being less lenient when Rise of the Tomb Raider was exclusive and was more willing to press Phil Spencer with questions about that.
This.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, when the whole stuff about Epic maybe going through Steam local files happened, the gaming media contacted Epic .... but not Valve. It took a website specialized in cybersecurity to contact Valve, which they answered quite fast. Yeah, I know that Valve normally doesnt answer to media questions but... really?

And then they tried to blame it in part on Valve, for not wholly encripting the files, if they really were not for everyone to see, despite there being a normal "de facto" agreement not to touch local files by outsiders in this kind of stuff (because that is more akin to virus!).
As I said, I do not believe Epic is paying the Media, but you can feel that the media is in part biased against Valve (and in part it is Valve fault by not doing as much PR as Epic), even if they themselves not notice (because they have interiorized it).

Oct 25, 2017
At least in Rise of the Tomb Raider's case, you could kinda twist the hardware differences between Xbone, PS4, and PC into a reason for the timed exclusivity.

With EGS, it's running on the exact same hardware, only they're making exclusive to the launcher that has less features and invades its users' privacy.

For these AAA games, there is zero excuse.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm sorry but if you aren't prepared to be asked the same questions you need to set a FAQ and direct people there. Unless of course you prefer having an insular community and calling people disingenuous for no reason. Which last I checked the press doesn't engage in nearly as much as we do.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm sorry but if you aren't prepared to be asked the same questions you need to set a FAQ and direct people there. Unless of course you prefer having an insular community and calling people disingenuous for no reason. Which last I checked the press doesn't engage in nearly as much as we do.
An Epic store FAQ isn't a bad idea, and I would happily support such a thread.

I do hope you realize though, we get a lot of actually disingenuous posters in Epic threads, always posting about how it's just another launcher and it's just steam fanboys moaning. It makes people very defensive, and it's hard to tell an actual legit poster with questions apart from one of these other idiots.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you normally expect people to read more than one page in a forum before entering a discussion. When you repeat the same stuff every 2-3 pages you end up getting exhausted (mainly in other threads, not so much in here).

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

We had threads about that. We had lenghty posts about that. Developers making huge posts about that.

Yet nothing change. Last I checked the biggest French gaming media basically made a video on "We NEED to support Epic Store against Steam". PCGamer wrote a whole article asking their writers "how do you feel about store exclusives" with a lot of "meh who cares ?".

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Their words are what people hear/read. They're press, it's their job to be informed. If they publish misinformation, more people will be misinformed.

That's why folks here are disappointed with a lot of them.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

I do hope you realize though, we get a lot of actually disingenuous posters in Epic threads, always posting about how it's just another launcher and it's just steam fanboys moaning. It makes people very defensive, and it's hard to tell an actual legit poster with questions apart from one of these other idiots.

I made one already:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/no...chers-storefronts-and-monopolies-on-pc.86685/

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to think this forum of all places can disassociate complaints about a group of people equaling criticism of that entire group and people in that association.

We have threads about the meaning of capital G Gamers like every month here.
I'll gladly call myself a fan of what Steam has done to PC Gaming over the years, and keeps doing. (Stream Proton continues to amaze me every day)
So excuse me if I get irked if some calls me indirectly "insane" and lumps me in with deplorable assholes.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017

Spoken like a true gator.
I mean, you're critical of Epic, so that means you support GamerGate, that's the official narrative nowadays.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

Its funny how the people arguing against Epic have to argue in the most perfect way, while epic supporters can just call them SteamBots and Valve Worshipers without any pushback.

Or when games writers who should be doing research on a topic, repeat the same kind of bad faith arguments that you see on reddit and twitter.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I'll gladly call myself a fan of what Steam has done to PC Gaming over the years, and keeps doing. (Stream Proton continues to amaze me every day)
So excuse me if I get irked if some calls me indirectly "insane" and lumps me in with deplorable assholes.

It's hard to understand why people care about something if you dont use said thing.

sanhora

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory Language; Using a Dehumanizing Meme
PC gamers are definitely out here attacking folks though. You can dial it back abit and still get your point across..
tweet dumb shit -> multiple people tell you why you're wrong -> "i'm being harrassed, why are fans x/y/z so toxic"

Day in, day out you see these writers (who should be experts in their own field) acting like NPCs, repeating the exact same bullet points that might as well be straight from Epic's press releases about competition being good. It's getting very tiresome. Doesn't feel like the coverage is very balanced at all.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG

Yep. Do it. It would be very helpful, even if just for making it easier for quoting things over and over again.

Edit:

Oh, I had forgotten about that.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So, when someone says say, soccer team x fans are assholes, do you think literally everyone that likes that team takes offense to it or that person means literally everyone? Or is it clearly talking about the hooligans that headbutt people?

It's hard to understand why people care about something if you dont use said thing.

If this is directed at me? Are we doing this thing again where the only way to think you guys might be acting ridiculous is if they don't have their PC gamer cred card?

Last edited:

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I know you all have dealt with alot since being around in 2012. And i know we aren't getting paid to have an opinion like the press. But I don't know I feel like we have a responsibility to not call people cheerleaders for asking questions. I've never posted in here and certainly haven't been following since 2012. I get being defensive. But I'd honestly rather be put on ignore than get insulted for asking a question I had no idea was a sensitive subject.

Just finished reading, this was great! If this was in the OP I would've been set.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know you all have dealt with alot since being around in 2012. And i know we aren't getting paid to have an opinion like the press. But I don't know I feel like we have a responsibility to not call people cheerleaders for asking questions. I've never posted in here and certainly haven't been following since 2012. I get being defensive. But I'd honestly rather be put on ignore than get insulted for asking a question I had no idea was a sensitive subject.

I haven't attacked or insulted you!

You are all up to speed now, so hopefully that's the end of this.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
When basically all of the media takes amount to that "Epic is good for the industry, consumers just don't realize it" article it's also kinda easy to feel lumped into the "insane" Steam fan group just by being opposed to these blatantly anti-consumer practices, and I get why that makes people act out more than they might otherwise. Obviously no one needs to go around actually being shitty to devs/press and those that do should be shouted down. I also think it'd be a much smaller group of people doing that if there were half that number of articles pointing out the myriad reasons this is objectively bad for consumers.

Oct 25, 2017
hWpufIb.png

Doesn't even know what an official reseller is lmao. Fucking hilarious.
Holy shit at a Senior Editor of a dedicated PC gaming site not knowing about isthereanydeal and approved keysellers. No wonder they have all these hot takes, they know jackshit about consumers' experience.

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, when someone says say, soccer team x fans are assholes, do you think literally everyone that likes that team takes offense to it or that person means literally everyone? Or is it clearly talking about the hooligans that headbutt people?
As a football fan myself I can say with certain degree of experience that when people say something like: Chelsea fans are racists or Liverpool fans are cunts they in fact make such a statement with the purpose of labeling everyone else by association. In those instances "X fans are this or that" is usually a statement based on tribalism.

People who headbutt other people and get in fights are assholes, but assholes aren't exclusive to a team or even a sport, so there is a meaning behind the association with a certain club in this case, where the implication is that relationship or even the institution itself is at least partially the cause or is encouraging/promoting these individuals' actions. It's a classic statement meant to take certain teams or clubs down a peg beyond decrying a particular event or a particular group of people.

There can be of course particular reasons why a football club attracts certain kinds of people more than other, from stadium location, to transfer policy, politics of the owner, etc. But whether you mean ALL of X or SOME of X I would argue those statements generally have a purpose to hurt everyone by association. If you are so intent on making a point and have a clear reason why you think this group acts this way beyond their particular predilection for a sporting club, then you would probably do better refraining from painting with such a wide brush and outlining where you think this attitude is coming from, or provide some nuance to why you think that is. In the case of football clubs there are probably a myriad of social reasons behind certain fans acting a certain way beyond what shirt color they prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.