• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tombstone for Orange should say:

• Windows ME is a good operating system

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • UN Ambassador for PC Gaming

Votes: 34 13.3%
  • Report this Orange man

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Still thinks PC Gaming is dead

Votes: 22 8.6%
  • ༼ つ ▀̿_▀̿ ༽つ (I have no idea if this one is allowed)

Votes: 57 22.3%
  • nice thread btw :)

Votes: 91 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hopefully getting the last parts of my PC build this week .
I haven't had a Windows machine for a few years, so what is some essential software you can recommend?

So far I've got Rivatuner and CPU-Z, as well as the usual stuff like 7zip, Discord/Teamspeak, Logitech G Hub, VLC, Steam, Battle.net.

Is an antivirus software still recommended? I heard the Windows Defender is pretty good nowadays.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I haven't had a Windows machine for a few years, so what is some essential software you can recommend?

So far I've got Rivatuner and CPU-Z, as well as the usual stuff like 7zip, Discord/Teamspeak, Logitech G Hub, VLC, Steam, Battle.net.

Is an antivirus software still recommended? I heard the Windows Defender is pretty good nowadays.
As long as you aren't downloading shady stuff, you'll be fine with just Windows Defender.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Interesting that this one may only be 6 months. Must have been pretty expensive.

Also, what advantages come with an EGS exclusive? I guess devs / pubs get cash and visibility, but consumers get nothing.

Last edited:

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
giphy.gif

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

I use Malwarebytes free (just weekly scans, don't need realtime protection) as well as using https://www.virustotal.com/en/ and https://virusscan.jotti.org/ for the occasional semi-sketch download.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I was going to say. But I thought the whole point was to help the starving indies?!

But Valve did cross platform play with Portal 2. Did he forgetted?
Valve is also working on a cross platform play similar to Epic (and Microsoft). It is just trying to deflect the excuse, but at least it is better than most other excuses.

Heck, main crossplatform issue is Sony, as even indies can easily make crossplay between all major platforms... if Sony is not an asshole and allows you (which Borderlands is big enough to pass the "beta")

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Valve is also working on a cross platform play similar to Epic (and Microsoft). It is just trying to deflect the excuse, but at least it is better than most other excuses.

Working on doesn't mean available and allowed to use by devs/pubs tho

Right now there are a few options for crossplay

Make your own tools (Rocket League, Wargroove, etc)
Use Epic's (Fortnite, Dauntless)
Wait for Valve's, which IIRC is soon-ish?
Charge everyone double and kick them in the face (the EA way)

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just because Valve is working on something, it doens't mean Sony will work with Valve. Portal 2 is not some Gotcha lol guys. It's a decade old game and it's pretty clear Valve and Sony's relationship has not progressed in the way they probably intended to during that partnership.

Saying "why not just wait for Valve's ill defined and possible stonewalled version" is not an actual rebuttal.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Working on doesn't mean available and allowed to use by devs/pubs tho

Right now there are a few options for crossplay

Make your own tools (Rocket League, Wargroove, etc)
Use Epic's (Fortnite, Dauntless)
Wait for Valve's, which IIRC is soon-ish?
Charge everyone double and kick them in the face (the EA way)
Epic doesnt have it available yet. IT will be Q4

Just because Valve is working on something, it doens't mean Sony will work with Valve. Portal 2 is not some Gotcha lol guys. It's a decade old game and it's pretty clear Valve and Sony's relationship has not progressed in the way they probably intended to during that partnership.
Sony will allow use game by game, as they are doing now. They dont really care about crossplay. Borderlands is big enough to create a shitstorm, similar to RocketLeague or Fortnite.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Epic clearly plan on helping the starving indies by buying everything else, so indies are all people see on the platform where people actually want to buy their games from.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
its avalaible for people that take Epic's big deals, but it looks like the q4 timeline is for everyone else.

Makes perfect sense for Dauntless since crossplatform everything was their end-goal anyways tbh, now they just accelerated the timeline

I dunno why 2K didn't have something in play for Borderlands 3 if that's what the deal is but who knows, I'm old and I got bombarded with information today

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/epic-2019-cross-platform-online-services-roadmap

I mean, sure. It will then be a beta version. We could say similar stuff from Steam Servers too.

If you say that shit about Steam Servers I will run you over with a zamboni

They would not have announced Dauntless if they didn't have it

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
About 6 months, it is weird if that is really their exclusivity period... but it would also make sense for a AAA game:
-Someone who waited 6 months would wait 1 year without issue, as FOMO probably drops after 1-2 months (Christmas basicaly)
-For a AAA game, 1 year is way too much and hype could be dead (or pretty low levels), so 6 months is more likely.

In the end EGS gains what they wanted: fucking with STeam with a popular game and getting more people into the ecosystem (whether temporarily or not they really do not seem to care), without too much of an expense compared to a full year.

Nov 1, 2017
I remember watching the noclip doc on half life and listening to Randy's story about CS: Condition Zero. He's probably on better terms now but maybe never forgot. They edit out the part on how he feels today about it.

Toast

Oct 28, 2017

OBS Studio if you want to record/stream games

Cheat Engine if you like RPG, but want to speed them up.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

I love games journalism.

As I said: Can't bite the hand that feeds you. And this is why I cant take the press seriously. They spend more time rehashing press releases from publisher than anything else for the most part. Hence why I refuse to call most of them "journalists".

I also love the "calm the fuck down" stance from people who refuse to take stances against anti-consumer practices done by publishers.
Although despite my disagreement with him, I still hold Imran to high regards considering his stance with THQ N.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As always, attacking people is not cool.

I'm disappointed in Imran too, especially since he joins the lot that thinks it's "Steam fans", and not PC gamers who have no problems with other stores... just not Epic. But no need to be a prick.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Can u explain to me how Epic Store was supposed to come into the industry and take market share away from Steam?
What has brough Epic that is good for me as a customer?
In the words of their CEO, they have only brought me "free games" (which are just momentarily and most services already do to entice new users) and the warm feeling of paying devs more.

On the other hand they have given me a subpar launcher experience (which took 3 months on putting a search function and probably will clock 5 months to launch a Cloud save function), has actively removed games from the competition just to spite it, and has been clear on a messaging that they dont really care about me as a customer but only about developers.

If they had launched in a better state, had a clear goal (cheaper games in EGS because there is a lower cut for devs!), and been more pro-consumer it would be a different situation. Yet here we are, with media glossing over any of the more problematic parts of the shop.

Edit: seriously, I have been saying this since launch. I did not expect EGS to be better than Steam at launch, BUT I SURE EXPECTED IT TO BE BETTER THAN ORIGIN DID AT LAUNCH IN 2013.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can u explain to me how Epic Store was supposed to come into the industry and take market share away from Steam?
- Building exclusivity from their own games. Using their money by continuing to fund projects like UT, Paragon, etc instead of removing options from people by buying third party exclusivity. Even their whole console exclusive purchasing thing is fine by me, because that gives options to people instead of removing it. Paying to localize the huge amount of Asia-exclusive PC games I would also be happy with.
- Building features people actually want to use. I've labelled a few in the past, like inbuilt sandboxing, advanced library filtering (which Steam is now getting in a few months, but was unknown at the time the Epic store started).

If you want people to support you, you give them options. You don't remove options and force them to join you. That benefits nobody.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
As always, attacking people is not cool.

I'm disappointed in Imran too, especially since he joins the lot that thinks it's "Steam fans", and not PC gamers who have no problems with other stores... just not Epic. But no need to be a prick.

It's also funny and weird that customer protest is being met with such a terrible reaction from people that aren't even supposed to be involved there. Why do the press cares if people says they wont buy a game ? I definitely feels like the gaming press because of the nature of their work, have ties with the gaming industry/publishers, which is normal in a way, since you communicate with people, learn their names, befriend and such. But I believe sometimes it can cloud their judgement a tiny bit here.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
- Building exclusivity from their own games. Using their money by continuing to fund projects like UT, Paragon, etc instead of removing options from people by buying third party exclusivity. Even their whole console exclusive purchasing thing is fine by me, because that gives options to people instead of removing it.
- Building features people actually want to use. I've labelled a few in the past, like inbuilt sandboxxing, advanced library filtering (which Steam is now getting in a few months, but was unknown at the time the Epic store started).
Funnily enough, their whole "console exclusive purchasing" is BS and they are not responsible for QD games coming to PC (and probably similar with Journey, as flower also came to Steam).

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funnily enough, their whole "console exclusive purchasing" is BS and they are not responsible for QD games coming to PC (and probably similar with Journey, as flower also came to Steam).
In that case, I'll take that one back. I thought they helped pay to break the exclusivity agreement with Sony.

My point still half stands though, in the sense that if they were to fund PC games like that instead of what they are actually doing, I would support them

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Better prices, better features, better preorder bonuses, better services, yada yada yada
So, be better than the market leader that has 15years of experience, with no exclusives and a smaller revenue split? I'm really lost at how they'd be able to do those things in their first year.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
So, be better than the market leader that has 15years of experience, with no exclusives and a smaller revenue split? I'm really lost at how they'd be able to do those things in their first year.
Well, maybe they could have invested the millions from the Ubisoft deal into some engineers and launched the Store in the state it will be next year. You know, an "acceptable" state. They are in this for the long run, right?

sanhora

Oct 25, 2017
They have literally the biggest exclusive in the world and they're free to make plenty more. As a consumer it's not your job to be a cheerleader for anti-consumer platforms.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What has brough Epic that is good for me as a customer?
In the words of their CEO, they have only brought me "free games" (which are just momentarily and most services already do to entice new users) and the warm feeling of paying devs more.

On the other hand they have given me a subpar launcher experience (which took 3 months on putting a search function and probably will clock 5 months to launch a Cloud save function), has actively removed games from the competition just to spite it, and has been clear on a messaging that they dont really care about me as a customer but only about developers.

If they had launched in a better state, had a clear goal (cheaper games in EGS because there is a lower cut for devs!), and been more pro-consumer it would be a different situation. Yet here we are, with media glossing over any of the more problematic parts of the shop.

Edit: seriously, I have been saying this since launch. I did not expect EGS to be better than Steam at launch, BUT I SURE EXPECTED IT TO BE BETTER THAN ORIGIN DID AT LAUNCH IN 2013.
- Building exclusivity from their own games. Using their money by continuing to fund projects like UT, Paragon, etc instead of removing options from people by buying third party exclusivity. Even their whole console exclusive purchasing thing is fine by me, because that gives options to people instead of removing it. Paying to localize the huge amount of Asia-exclusive PC games I would also be happy with.
- Building features people actually want to use. I've labelled a few in the past, like inbuilt sandboxing, advanced library filtering (which Steam is now getting in a few months, but was unknown at the time the Epic store started).

If you want people to support you, you give them options. You don't remove options and force them to join you. That benefits nobody.
Ok, this is what I was looking for. Makes alot of sense. Seems they really should've waited until they had more features instead of launching with Fortnite money and a bunch of promises.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone actually "attacking" journalists* is dumb.

On the other hand, I'll gladly call out their stupid arguments, and make fun of them. That gaming is super aggressive and full of right wing dipshits who throw death threats at anything is sad, fucked up reality. Hell, even Reddit of all places needed a day off from the Gaming community.
But equating all criticism of Epic as being toxic is disingenuous to some fairly legitimate complaints people have.

* = I feel we should really retire this moniker, "games writer" seems more fitting and also inclusive to non-commerical stuff like blogs. Most of the interesting writing in games I have seen are from some really niche noncommercial outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.