• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you wait to see what RDNA2 shapes up to be?

• Yes

Votes: 145 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 212 59.4%

• Total voters

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
nVidia literally had no botting protection up on their site for the Founders Edition, Microcenters got literally a handful of cards, and Newegg didn't manage much better.

I was already considering giving AMD the time to show what they've got with Big Navi™, but now it feels like I kinda want to just on principle since this launch has been a complete clusterfuck, even worse than what's been going on with the PS5. Anyone else feel the same?

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Is anyone expecting different for AMD? I'm expecting them to sell out just as fast.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately I have a GSYNC Monitor so I have to go NVIDIA, otherwise I would consider AMD. But Doesn't seem like I'll be able to get either card until Spring 2021 so not sure how much it matters.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm waiting either way, don't need it until maybe December. I'm not sure big Navi is gonna be all that, though. I've been burned by AMD hype too many times

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I'll need something that's an absolute 1440p monster comparable to the 3080 to consider team red.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm not expecting AMD to have an answer for the 3090, but i will still give them a watch. Maybe they will learn from this and have stock ready to go for their launch.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I was already waiting for team red to show their cards before getting a new GPU. I can afford to wait, especially with the PS5 in the pipeline.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They really fucked up the launch but it's still worth waiting for DLSS and other stuff.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
If anything, I feel like this experience may have put me off a graphics card upgrade altogether this round. I don't see AMD being any different, and as long as e-commerce continues to not give a shit about bots, it's going to continue to be a miserable experience (I think people have been seeing this sort of stuff with the Switch too).

I have no idea what my next steps will be, but this experience has left a very sour taste.

Dec 15, 2017
Just wait until NVIDIA cards are in stock again. AMD may be able to put up a fight at least up to the 3070. But it doesn't matter how powerful their cards are if their software is utter crap. Half of the avaliable options on the control panel don't work. Want to add AA to a game? Maybe force AF? or set up a 1620p resolution? 2:35:1 aspect ratio in your 16:9 display for a more cinematic experience? Tough shit.
I've learned the lesson with my RX 580. The card itself its great for the price. But NVIDIA control panel and Inspector 4 life. Maybe I can sell my GTX 760 and RX 580 and buy a 3050ti down the line.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Ill be forced to wait because 3080s won't be in stock for a while. I am genuinely curious about AM's offerings, though. But DLSS and ray tracing are so hot right now.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they don't have a good ray tracing solution + DLSS alternative, AMD's showing doesn't matter.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
I'm waiting for the RTX 3060 cards which may be released in October/November, so I might as well see what AMD offers.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to wait for 2021. The only game in 2020 I care about is Cyberpunk and I don't really have much FOMO for that one. I played Witcher 3 a year after it shipped.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would not expect anything different. Scalper bots will be out in full force. And according to rumors AMD was still finalizing cards as of a few weeks ago so their supply will not be any better in all likelihood

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
For me to really consider AMD they need a legitimate answer to DLSS. It's one of the main reasons I want to upgrade from pascal. Idk if they will have that but I'm still curious to see what they do.
I won't wait though if I can get a 3080 before then. Unless they showed an impressive DLSS equivalent preview before I can get a 3080 of course.

Chapo

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nope.

AMD can release their GPUs with mass availability to the point where anyone can buy 5 and I'd still wait for Nvidia availability lol

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm just going to wait for 2021. The only game in 2020 I care about is Cyberpunk and I don't really have much FOMO for that one. I played Witcher 3 a year after it shipped.
Cyberpunk will be in its worst possible state day 1. Waiting ensures that you get a better experience, especially given how ambitious (and thus potentially buggy) it seems the game is.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm already waiting, then I will decide when the generation of AMD and Nvidia cards after the ones revealed this year are out. It's even better that both consoles are prolonging current gen making the need to upgrade PC hardware less important.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I probably won't do a new build until after AMD unveils their new cards. If they offer something more compelling, I'll go with AMD. But since I've got a Shield TV it would need to be significantly better.

Oct 25, 2017
Even if I miss getting a 3080 this quarter, I'm going NVIDIA no matter what. I have no confidence in AMD delivering, and NVIDIA's gpus have more features that I've used in the past, and that I want to use in the future.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Let's be real many of us won't have one of these by the end of October anyway. It's practically waiting by default. If AMD can't quite match the absolute performance, it would at least be interesting if they could dominate in performance per watt.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Unless AMD has somehow implemented DLSS, the same level of ray tracing, and competent drivers for their cards, nah.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
I think partners and retailers are going to risk doing the same to AMD cards. In addition, seeing where AMD usually does best in this market (not the 3080's segment, to be honest), it also depends on the RTX 3070's reviews and availability. If Nvidia turns out more of those to avoid a paper launch, then it's a potential wash for AMD.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
No. I'm waiting on the 3090 and don't anticipate AMD being competitive in pure performance either way.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Sometimes AMD will make their step down card easy to softmod and you basically get a tier better for free. If they couple that with a good bundle and good 4k performance I'd consider AMD for my secondary rig. And that's partly out of nostalgia because they haven't really been stepping it up with their GPUs lately.

I could actually see AMD dominating the notebook space if they can get good mid range performance on an APU.

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
i have a gsync monitor so even if amd offers 10-15% better perf id still pick nvidia, and i dont see amd outperforming 3080 in a significant manner so.... no, if i can get a 3080 before, i wont wait.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
No way in hell im getting one and with the markup in AUD im waiting to see what they have.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
nVidia literally had no botting protection up on their site for the Founders Edition, Microcenters got literally a handful of cards, and Newegg didn't manage much better.

I was already considering giving AMD the time to show what they've got with Big Navi™, but now it feels like I kinda want to just on principle since this launch has been a complete clusterfuck, even worse than what's been going on with the PS5. Anyone else feel the same?

yeahI had zero interest in big navi until today. Now I'm 50/50.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd already planned to wait to see what AMD had to offer. The 3080 is fantastic performance-wise but I had a good overall experience with my Radeon VII until the Adrenaline drivers at the beginning of 2020. It seems that they've fixed the issues because my son got my VII and he's had zero crashes, been perfectly stable for the last 6 months.

Oct 29, 2017
It's on them to impress me but nvidia drivers and features are too hard to ignore. Plus, I have a gsync monitor, so yeah...

Nov 1, 2017
I don't trust AMD when it comes to their GPUs as I've heard nothing but bad things regarding their drivers. DLSS is also the future of gaming - along with RTX. So even if they have decent raytracing in these new cards I'd still feel like I was missing out with no DLSS equivalent.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
No

I invested on ultrawide with Gsync recently.
AMD drivers..
They have no tensor cores or something of the sort. It will run directML the same way a 5700XT would. No dedicated RT... Can't imagine they have a DLSS solution with low latency on hardware that don't have a tensor core equivalent?

Far as I understand the RDNA 2 from consoles, rasterization, ML, RT all compete against each other's.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
No. I am invested into Nvidia's ecosystem. It's shitty what they did today, but it is what it is. I've never bought an AMD card, but I'm always down for more competition.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I probably won't get an AMD card, but I'm also not crazy about getting a 3070 day 1 either.

I'll see what both companies are offering but I will likely get the 3070.