• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

stepee

Jan 29, 2018
I'll be getting my new pc which has 3200mhz ram finished up tomorrow. Did not know this. PHEW.

OP
OP
neon/drifter

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
XMP profiles always crash on me.
I did some reading on this before enabling XMP and found that most common reason for crashes with XMP are when you may have RAM that is faster than what the motherboard or CPU can support. Does that sound like it might be the issue?

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I had no idea either. D'oh!

Back in my day you just stuck the RAM in and that was that! *shakes fist at clouds*

For my MSI motherboard there are 2 A-XMP profiles. Did Profile 1 and now in CPU-z my DDR4-3600 shows as 1800 MHz. It does say that it is in Dual Channel mode, so not sure if there's still more I can do or what.

1800 x 2. Dual channel ram shows as half in cpu z

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The kind of person who doesn't know to turn on XMP in their BIOS is also probably the same person who wouldnt notice a difference in performance regardless... honestly even people who know wouldnt notice a difference outside of benchmarks
Pretty much this.

Ok, I looked into it and discovered that this whole XMP thing began with the entry of DDR3 RAM around 2007-2009.

So basically if you, (like me and some others in here) started building PCs or modifying them earlier than those years, you're probably used to the default of RAM being an easy pop in, pop out kind of thing. So I guess it's a common mistake for people that have been building for quite awhile too!

No. There's always been some tweaks that have been needed to be done to get everything perfect(timings, multipliers, other annoying things over the years) I've been building PC's since the mid 90's. You might be forgetting it but hasn't always been just a simple pop in. It's got way better since then for sure but there's always something.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
You are right, it's something I didn't realize either and I'm pretty comfortable building PCs and have been doing it for years. But I check performance stats so it stood up to me right away and then I did some research. Regardless...I didn't notice any performance issues. people blow the importance of RAM and CPUs out of proportion, these days most games are GPU limited. Other tasks besides gaming, that's different, that's where you might need the extra speed, memory and notice differences.

wild_one

Oct 27, 2017
I've been working and building PCs since at least 1997, and I knew about all that stuff regarding XMP, dual channel, interleaving, SCSI, IDE... So many things that I picked up, and I haven't built a new PC in something like 5 years.

OP
OP
neon/drifter

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
I've been working and building PCs since at least 1997, and I knew about all that stuff regarding XMP, dual channel, interleaving, SCSI, IDE... So many things that I picked up, and I haven't built a new PC in something like 5 years.
*slow clap*

How do you think your post comes across? Just read it. What did it contribute to the conversation? It only served to add another post to the pile of others here that were only written to make me feel like i'm dumb or something. It's shit like this that makes me not want to post things in general. I'm glad my post has helped a good amount of people, but I'm getting annoyed with posts like this.

Darkkahn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gosh dangit. I've been running my 2400MHz rams at 2133 for so many years now.
What else is there? Overclocking my mouse and keyboard!?

DasFool

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck, I've built this PC back in 2017 and have been unknowingly utilizing the stock speed of 2133 MHz in my RAM since forever. Restarted, went into BIOS, turned on XMP, and lo and behold the RAM is at 3000 MHz now! Thanks, OP, for spreading awareness of this!

Just a question, though. Does this affect the lifespan or durability of the RAM in any way? If it becomes more susceptible to damage, I'd rather keep it at stock speed.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Holy fuck, I've built this PC back in 2017 and have been unknowingly utilizing the stock speed of 2133 MHz in my RAM since forever. Restarted, went into BIOS, turned on XMP, and lo and behold the RAM is at 3000 MHz now! Thanks, OP, for spreading awareness of this!

Just a question, though. Does this affect the lifespan or durability of the RAM in any way? If it becomes more susceptible to damage, I'd rather keep it at stock speed.

Not an issue at all.

OP
OP
neon/drifter

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018

Nope it's fine. Your ram is now running as intended.

This makes me so happy! Happy to help!

Apr 11, 2018
Australia
I did that already and had to stop because artifacting would happen from time to time. Any idea how to troubleshoot that? I liked how smooth it was. I want to know if it's my monitor or driver or whatever?

Don't know if you got the answer to this already but most likely artifacting at 144hz is because of the cable you're using. Is it Display Port or HDMI? If it's HDMI then I would give it an almost 90% chance of being the cause.

If you're going to find a HDMI cable do some research about what's available and what will work for what you need because not all cables that are supposed to achieve a certain spec are created equal.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
By any chance you watched the Verge's how to build a pc video? Informative stuff.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Don't know if you got the answer to this already but most likely artifacting at 144hz is because of the cable you're using. Is it Display Port or HDMI? If it's HDMI then I would give it an almost 90% chance of being the cause.

If you're going to find a HDMI cable do some research about what's available and what will work for what you need because not all cables that are supposed to achieve a certain spec are created equal.

Any clue what I should be looking for with regard to HDMI cables?

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
I'm building a PC soon and I thank you OP for creating this thread. I think I have read about this before, but it didn't stuck on me.

OP
OP
neon/drifter

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018

It's an HDMI cable. I don't know what type but I know what I'll do next time it happens. I'll hook it up to a different monitor with the same cable and if the issue follows, I'll blame the cable. Thank you!

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually surprised by how much of a difference RAM made for me. I upgraded from a single 16 GB stick of 2133 RAM to two 8 GB sticks at 3200 and my performance in some games, like Cyberpunk, increased significantly. This doesn't matter as much, but I also got a decent boost in my 3DMark scores.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
This is in like every build guide on YouTube and your mobo manual. If anyone is at fault is you.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
weird...i think xmp is off but my ram is set to the correct speed (DDR4-2666 @ 1333), prebuilt pc so idk

Rayder

Jun 15, 2018
Cleveland, Ohio
Yeah, and the "manual" you might get with a motherboard will say stuff like, "This setting turns on or off this setting." Super helpful there Mr. Manual. Thanks a bunch.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
For my MSI motherboard there are 2 A-XMP profiles. Did Profile 1 and now in CPU-z my DDR4-3600 shows as 1800 MHz. It does say that it is in Dual Channel mode, so not sure if there's still more I can do or what.
DDR memory is double data rate.
So a clockspeed of 1800 MHz is capable of 3600 megatransfers a second.
The confusion arises from people calling things like 3600 MT/s RAM "3600 MHz".

1800 x 2. Dual channel ram shows as half in cpu z
Dual channel is not the same thing as double data rate.
It means that two RAM channels (connections to the CPU) are in use.
Think of it as a two-lane highway vs a single lane.

If your RAM is not installed in the correct slots, it may still be operating in single-channel mode even though two sticks are installed (only using one of the lanes).
Consumer CPUs have two channels, but higher-end CPUs may have a lot more.

I did that already and had to stop because artifacting would happen from time to time. Any idea how to troubleshoot that? I liked how smooth it was. I want to know if it's my monitor or driver or whatever?
That's most likely to be a bad video cable.

Gosh dangit. I've been running my 2400MHz rams at 2133 for so many years now.
What else is there? Overclocking my mouse and keyboard!?
If you have a gaming mouse, make sure the polling rate is set to 1000Hz rather than 125Hz.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I didn't know about this beforehand either but it become pretty obvious when I loaded up my bios and saw the memory was clocked at 2133mhz. I wondered whether I got ripped off for a second but then I asked the interwebs for help.

Not sure about Intel but for anyone with a Ryzen, make sure your RAM is properly overclocked to its rated speed. I forgot to do it after updating my bios once and it was pretty noticeable in games. Playing Sekiro in 4K I was getting significant framerate drops below 60, when I overclocked to 3600mhz, the game now stays at a rock solid 60 fps. If it can impact a game like Sekiro, I can only imagine it's even more of an issue in more demanding games.

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I didn't know this either when I bought my 3200mhz ram. Thankfully for some reason the first thing I did was open CPU-Z and check the frequency had gone up, just so I could get that "feeling of upgrade" and then found out it hadn't, which prompted me to do the required research.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
At least OP missed the whole controversy where system builders like NZXT were claiming that enabling XMP voided your warranty because it's overclocking.

There was enough blowback from that complete nonsense that they eventually relented.