• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
I own a gaming PC with an RX 580 that has been serving me quite nicely. However I also find myself with a pre-order of the Series X, and from browsing this forum I noticed that I'm not alone; many Era PC gamers have pre-ordered the PS5, Series X, or both. So I'm curious, what's your rationale?

For me, I'm eventually planning on doing a complete PC rebuild, since my mobo and CPU are so old that I might as well just scrap the whole thing and start over. However my PC runs just fine right now and I don't see the point in rebuilding it anytime soon, especially since I use it for a lot more than just gaming. I view the Series X as a $500 short-term upgrade while I wait for GPU prices to come down. It also allows me to jump into 4K gaming, which I haven't really experienced yet since my PC can't handle it. My current plan is to wait until the inevitable mid-gen refresh in ~4 years to build a new PC that will at that point exceed the PS5 Pro/Xbox Series XX in power.

What about you? Why did you pre-order a console when you already have a capable PC?

Last edited:

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted a convenient game machine in the family room, especially for couch co-op. I already pay for gamepass for my PC, so figured getting an XSX made sense.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
As a game lover, I can't miss out on Sony or Nintendo exclusives. I have enough money to play on all the best platforms #blessed.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Ps5 because I want to play demons souls, god of war, gran turismo, ratchet and horizon. If those are the only things Ill be okay with it

Crotin

May 6, 2018
Exclusives, and I've always appreciated switching up which consoles I play from time to time. It's nice to have a choice to play any game I want on anything possible

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
Demon's Souls and exclusives. If those were confirmed to come to PC even at a later date, I would definitely not buy the console.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I just bought a new aorus gigabyte 17g laptop a couple of weeks ago for all the pc rpgs I've wanted to play, but i'm going to continue playing bfv on the series x and then cyberpunk. I just love new console releases. Oh and I just ordered the elite controller series 2 as well. And the ulimate game pass bundle.

Last edited:

Ilagee

Nov 4, 2017
Playing Game Pass Games on my 4K TV on my couch without having to buy another new GPU this year.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to be able to play whatever I want, whenever I want, wherever I want.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Exclusives.

PS5 will have plenty, and despite what people say, Xbox has theirs as well. You won't be playing Red Dead Redemption or Panzer Dragoon Orta or numerous other BC titles on PC. Plus sometimes I like the simplicity of a console and I just love new hardware period.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
For me, it's a bit different.

1. I Run my own gaming / geek culture outlet and I want to have access to the Xbox Series X and PS5 for covering those games.
2. I love tech, and I enjoy the convenience of having access to the newer consoles.
3. Demon's Souls, yo!

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Have a high end i9 9900k PC with NWME drives, 64GB RAM and an RTX 3080 on the way.

Getting an Xbox Series X since my One X died in the fall and i want a new Xbox to play my entire collection of Xbox games, Game Pass on the big screen and i need a 4K Blu-Ray player.

Will get a PS5 once it has a meaningful collection of titles i actually want to play, would have waited with the Series X as well if my One X was still alive.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Sony exclusives, plus I vastly prefer gaming on my couch on the 70" to sitting at my desk whenever possible.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Convenience. And I like how quiet xbox is. Also I figured I'll get the new consoles anyways, better get them now and sell or trade in my current for a good price while I still can.
Another thing is that I likely have to replace my whole gaming PC(i7-6700k, 32Gb, 980ti) now. So that will cost a lot more than getting PS5 and Xbox.

Oeufcoque

Oct 27, 2017
Demon's Souls doesn't look like that on PC. (And Ragnarok, I don't want to be spoiled on boss fights)

Phawx

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it was foolish of me. I really should have waited until more exclusives landed and I'm sure lots are coming to PC anyhow. I know I'll be kicking myself when themed consoles start coming out

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Well PS5 for first party titles. That was a no brainer. Xbox Series X order was more due to the GamePass value and cross save with PC.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I like to play with new toys for a few hours, then leave them to collect dust while I go back to playing Remnant on PC.

Don't judge me.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Mostly? I work on a computer most of the day....and I like to take a break from my mouse/keyboard. It's nice to sit on the couch and just chill

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard for some to understand but gaming isn't only about specs, you have first party software on consoles

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
I installed in a 3080, fucked around with drivers, bluetooth, controller connections, overclocking, steam big picture, 100x settings for display, hit my frame limit on most games, and generally could not just sit down and play a game that easily.

I have a 4k setup that can connect my 65 Q90R - but man, is PC gaming a chore sometimes.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
This summer I built a new PC with the 3700x, 32gb of ram, and carried over my 1060 6gb. I was planning on upgrading to a 3000 series gpu, but I feel like right now an Xbox Series X is the better deal. Both my monitors are 1080p ,so upgrading those and buying a new GPU would be quite a bit more expensive than just dropping money on the Series X. I also really only play WoW on my PC these days and have started to drift back into the console space the past year or two.

I'm a technology teacher and I'm starting to understand the "I don't want to spend all day on my computer at work only to go home and spend all my time on a computer" mentality.

I do plan on upgrading my current GPU at some point, but the 1060 works fine for WoW right now. 🤷‍♂️

I'll get a PS5 in a few years (I didn't get a PS4 until 2019). I hate the design, so hoping for a slim version or something... different at some point.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Already a good slate of ps5 games lined up. And the ps5 will be good to run more graphically intensive games until pc parts catch up in price. I like my gaming pc but its not very close to that level of performance, atm.

I like to use the pc for media but my so prefers to use the ps4. So it'd be nice to upgrade that to something snappier.

wild_fire

Oct 27, 2017
Exclusives + The spouse likes to play games but doesn't want to deal with the hassle of getting the right settings on the PC. Also they really want to play on the couch and not at the PC desk.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For PS5, the SSD special tech and exclusives. For the XSX, for Game Pass. Both consoles for the media capabilities.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
While I game on PC I'm a console player first and foremost, and quite frankly, I can't play Demon's Souls on PC on November 19th, so it's a no brainer.

plain

Oct 27, 2017
No reason. I bought it to give billion dollar corporations more money.

And Spider-Man.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Got a PS5 for Demon's Souls and the fact that most of my friends sold their pc's. So if I want to play with them still, I kind of have to. The latter is actually the biggest reason, though being able to play Bloodborne last gen was a welcome bonus.

Mr.Vic20

Oct 31, 2017
I can afford access to all games, so I prefer to clear that hurdle day one of each new generation.