• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PC Gamers: What are your console plans atm?

• Xbox Series X

Votes: 81 10.3%
  • PS5

Votes: 397 50.4%
  • Both!

Votes: 113 14.4%
  • PC only

Votes: 196 24.9%

• Total voters

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Not really interested in either right now. Makes no sense to pick one when we know so little.

Dec 15, 2017
PC only. Most Sony exclusives this gen besides Bloodborne fell into the "nice to have" category. A handful of exclusive action adventure games per generation won't do it for me. Sony needs to have a more compelling ecosystem: Regional pricing - BC with performance resolution/framerate patches for PS3 and PS4 games, an improved VR solution, a better controller and more. TBH I am more eager to buy a decent CPU so I can emulate old games properly as my FX 6300 is not cut for emulation. But in the future CEMU, RPCS3, CITRA, Xenia and Yuzu will only get better. If I can run all those emulators at full speed, I won't even care for next gen games unless somehow the Legacy of Kain games are getting remakes.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing about the XSX since I'll get MS games on PC.

PS5 for Sony exclusives. Spidey 2 and GoW specifically.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I doubt those results big time looking at the poll. There's no reason for any primary PC gamers to have decided on this yet. Those are console players responding.

We will wait and see how it shakes out, then buy the hardware that has the best outlook once there's an actual outlook formed. The first year of new consoles is primarily filled with a bunch of mid gen half ports that exist on older console and newer ones anyway.

I'll decide when they are out a bit and begin to actually form attractive libraries. Ain't nobody in a hurry to catch up on this new gens Ryse: Son of Rome or Knack.

ecnal

Oct 27, 2017
Exclusives mostly.

And there are still genres that I enjoy playing on console/TV 🤷‍♀️

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I have zero need for an Xbox because they don't have any exclusives that interest me and MS has been really good about getting games released both for Xbox and PC. To me if you don't want to put down the money for a good gaming PC, Xbox is a pretty sure bet.

I own a PS4 Pro mainly for its exclusives. I will buy a PS5 too. My first console was a PS3 actually and with each generation they get closer to PC in terms of graphics so waiting for the PC version becomes less necessary.

The biggest thing I want from a next gen console besides better framerates is better controls. I use gyro aim a lot on Steam Controller and I wish it was a standard on consoles as well because it takes out all the jankiness of stick aiming and gives you almost mouse like precision. I'm playing Death Stranding now and anything aiming related is just painful in it but thankfully it doesn't have a ton of combat.

Nov 8, 2017
I don't feel a strong incentive to upgrade but if EB Games is still around in Aus by then, they'll probably have some decent trade-in deals, and with (probably) full back compat on both platforms I don't feel like I'm gaining much by keeping them.

I'm paid up on Gamepass ultimate till 2022 so the Xbox will be for loungeroom gaming for certian titles when I have a choice, and will continue to be my primary media consumption box out there.

PS5 will be a purely exclusives machine, and I will probably not buy it until 6-12 months from launch unless it's a real great trade deal.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a ps4 but have barely used to. Have only turned it on once in the past 2 years, which was for something non gaming related. So, definitely not buying anything at launch. Maybe when I can get one for cheap...

Pelao

Banned
Jan 7, 2020
Chile
PS5, then the hypothetical Switch Pro, and the SeX a couple of years down the line, once it has first party exclusives.

Jan 31, 2019
I have a decent gaming PC (gtx 1070). I have owned every PlayStation and Nintendo console ever made. Right now I have sold my PS4 and have been very content with PC and Switch. I have never owned a Microsoft console and am not planning on changing that BUT..............I would love to buy a series X if it could run windows.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Planning to go PC+Nintendo next gen.
I'll buy PS5/Xbox when It's needed, like when an FG has no crossplay and playerbase on pc is low.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I rarely touch my xix and ps4 pro these days. I told myself that I would just upgrade the pc once they come out. But I tend to sometimes fall for the hype. My ps4 was essentially a destiny and diablo III machine.

I barely played anything on the xbox 1 x.

If one of them has a game that I really want to play, but can't get on pc, I guess I will grab it.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who just spent close to $4k on a new build...I still want both new consoles. Sometimes, I like to pop in a game and just play..no fiddling with settings or what can I turn up or down to hit a magical frame rate etc. My OCD kicks into high gear with PC game because I am constantly using monitoring tools to see where my frame rate is...do I go to 1440p to hit 120fps or do I leave it at 4k native and hit 60fps etc. For me it is a constant use of tools and being in the settings menus tinkering. On consoles, you load the game, change the gamma or adjust the HDR settings..if the dev is good they give you options to turn off Motion Blur or CA etc. and that is it..you play.

I know this is something about (me) with the tinkering, but I know a lot of PC gamers that are the same. You invest a lot of money into a rig and you then spend a lot of time investing in maximizing whatever game you have to make it run at the highest possible settings at the highest possible frame rate. On console a lot of that stuff is not even an option and so you don't think about it. It is like loading in God of War and just being able to play. But some console games, like those for the PRO/Xbox One X you do have framerate vs. resolution options and I at times get hung up on what I prefer...but since it is one option I don't take a shit ton of time deciding...versus PC where there is not only the options menu, then you discover .ini settings you can tweak....the tweaking never ends at times. lol

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting both for the convenience, better HDR support, and because I like new consoles.

It will be interesting to see how my 2700x and 1080ti stack up against next gen systems.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
PlayStation is currently my platform of choice due to PSVR, remote play, and PSNow. A fully backwards compatible PS5 would cement this for me.

to be fair I play a lot of JRPGs, like 70% of my gaming so having fully access to tons of JRPGs all the way back to PS1and being to play them anywhere on my phone is my ultimate pipe dream. The next pipe dream would be the ability or option for wireless PSVR2 enhancements. Especially to older titles I download on PSNow.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
With the money I spent on PC games during Christmas sale I could buy an xbox, ps5 and switch combined. PC only

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
So, like many others here, I really want the Xbox Series X, but mainly for reviewing it and games for my site. If I didn't need it for that, I'd pass on it as my PC is more than capable. The PS5, on the other hand, will have exclusives I can't get on my PC.

But at the end of the year, I'll have em both.

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 for Sony exclusives, PC for everything else. Probably whatever Nintendo's cooking up, too. Microsoft exclusives haven't really been my thing since the 360, but with PC Game Pass and their whole "play our games wherever, we don't care" strategy, I can give them a spin anyhow.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Games. The same answer every time. I choose the game first then I decide on the platform, makes no sense to do otherwise. Sometimes I buy on the PS if my friends play there.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Interested in the PS5 only because of the new tech.

Xbox I would only buy if the price to performance ratio is good. Otherwise if I can just build a new PC that's better and not that more expensive, I will do that since Xbox games will come to PC anyway.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
As someone who just spent close to $4k on a new build...I still want both new consoles. Sometimes, I like to pop in a game and just play..no fiddling with settings or what can I turn up or down to hit a magical frame rate etc. My OCD kicks into high gear with PC game because I am constantly using monitoring tools to see where my frame rate is...do I go to 1440p to hit 120fps or do I leave it at 4k native and hit 60fps etc. For me it is a constant use of tools and being in the settings menus tinkering. On consoles, you load the game, change the gamma or adjust the HDR settings..if the dev is good they give you options to turn off Motion Blur or CA etc. and that is it..you play.

I know this is something about (me) with the tinkering, but I know a lot of PC gamers that are the same. You invest a lot of money into a rig and you then spend a lot of time investing in maximizing whatever game you have to make it run at the highest possible settings at the highest possible frame rate. On console a lot of that stuff is not even an option and so you don't think about it. It is like loading in God of War and just being able to play. But some console games, like those for the PRO/Xbox One X you do have framerate vs. resolution options and I at times get hung up on what I prefer...but since it is one option I don't take a shit ton of time deciding...versus PC where there is not only the options menu, then you discover .ini settings you can tweak....the tweaking never ends at times. lol
This is me and also another reason I want to move from PC. I wasted so much time tinkering with Gears of War 5 instead of playing it. I love PC for the freedom of choice, but I often find myself paralyzed by all the options.

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
Gotta catch `em all - I have scenarios where each device fits in (and new toys are new toys...), so I'm all in again this gen as before.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Spider-Man is coming to PS5, they have me by my arachnids. Backwards compatibility with other gens would be icing on the cake. Not gonna abandon PC gaming though lol.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a beefy gaming rig but generally don't like sitting at a desk set up. I do enough of that all day. I like the couch life

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Since Gamepass is on PC, it's hard to drop 600-700 big ones on the SX (or however it's priced in my country) but if i was getting a Console, i would understand why some people would get the SX over PS5, even with PS5's exclusives, gamepass is too good.
But ill stick to PC until PS5 or SX is cheaper with more exclusives, since my PC is already high end there isn't a need to rush out to buy a Console, but people with something like a 1060 in their PC could probably look into it until Nvidia/AMD drop prices.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
If I ever get a 4K TV, then PS5 sounds like an interesting investment instead of a PS4 Pro to replace my base PS4, especially if Sony releases update patches for Uncharted and maybe Colossus so I can play them in actual 4K. Otherwise... a 4K Blu-Ray player I guess?

Xbox? If I had a ton of money I'd think about it for some 4K 360 and OG Xbox games I'm interested in like Ninja Gaiden. Adding something like NiER 1 and enhancing Metal Gear would strengthen the case.

But that would all be after building a new rig.

Cheaptrick

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 6, 2020
I'm a console gamer actually thinking of going back into PC gaming after a long hiatus.

the reasons are, Steam refund if you don't like the game for any reason. That's just an incredible almost game changing advantage to me. Get almost every indie game. And ability to choose performance over resolution.

Will probably get one of the new consoles as well though.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Going to go from PC to XSX. I've really loved PC gaming the last four years, but everything on my PC will need upgrading, I'm moving to a new city, and want to go back to a minimalist setup. I love Game Pass and I love the studios XGS has acquired over the last two years. The diversity of titles will be great. I'm not interested in the Sony or Nintendo exclusives.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Right now the only thing that interests me is a Killer Instinct sequel for Series X that hasn't been announced yet and may not ever exist...so yeah I'm in full wait and see mode. Actually GT7 if it returns to form also falls in this category for PS5.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 because I have a ton of games on it (like close to 400 or something) that will be BC and more importantly, the exclusives!

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 1070 loaded PC, but I will be switching to a next gen console at some point

I feel that the price I'd pay to upgrade my PC to something that can handle next gen games well would be around the same price as a Series X and PS5

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
With GamePass on PC and Microsoft bringing all their exclusives to GamePass (and PC) there isn't much incentive to get an Xbox anymore.

Will buy a PS5 though.

LtOrange

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego
I'm leaning towards going for both and dropping PC gaming. I spend so much time sitting at a desk at work that I don't find myself getting on my PC at home. I could try to do a comfy couch setup with a PC, but it seems like more of a hassle and just as expensive.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting both. PS5 for exclusives and Xbox for Game Pass. Console Game Pass will have titles not on the PC version of GP and even if they're there, the Xbox App on PC can be a hassle, so there's enough incentive for me to get the Xbox, even if their games are on PC.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
When games I care about start not running decently on my current PC I'll take a look at whether a console is a decent option instead of upgrading.

Generally I prefer PC, but most PC stuff I care about doesn't need the highest specifications, so getting a console and not upgrading might make sense. I don't have any big preference for which one, price would probably be the biggest question, exclusives second.

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
If I were to get one then it would be the one that has the best backwards compatibility. Gamepass is also a big plus too since it works for PC too.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
Maybe PS5 but that won't be until maybe 3-4 years after it's out. I mainly plan to buy it to play the first party stuff. I already have the first party games for PS4 but I just have not gotten around to playing many of them. Once I get around to playing them that may help me decide if I want a PS5, since it's pretty much going to be more of the same and not something radically different.