• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PC gamers, if Microsoft keeps bringing XB exclusives to PC, how interested are you in the next XB?

• Still interested

Votes: 318 28.1%
  • Less interested

Votes: 812 71.9%

• Total voters

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Why isn't there an option for those who were never interested in the Xbox in the first place? I mean xbox exclusives coming to PC is good, but apart from the forza horizon series, I don't find the others very interesting
Because, like, that's not what the discussion is about? Same reason we aren't talking about whether we like giraffes. (I do, if you are interested.)

Again, I'll represent for everyone who just wants the simplicity and relative cheapness of a console.

1. I never have to mess with settings and drivers and operating minimums and screwing with draw distance to get a frame rate or whatever. I want to get back into WoW after a few years and check out the last two expansions. The thought of getting all the settings configured, and the damn add-ons in place and working, and setting up all the macros...nah. Easier to just buy RE2 or KHIII and press "Install".

2. And every few years I buy a new console without worrying about whether or not I should/need to upgrade to new components, like the never-ending list of graphics cards. Graphics cards putting out the equivalent of an X's 4k output are expensive relative to the cost of a console. Especially at the start of a gen - -it is obviously cheaper and easier in 2019 to match what the launch Xbox or PS4 was in 2013.

3. For the same reason people stay with Steam and don't want to go to Epic and Windows and Origin and all the other stores, it's just easier and more enjoyable to me to have all my purchases and all my titles sitting there in one place, interacting with each other.

4. And while I know I could hook my PC up through my living room if I wanted to (seriously how many people ACTUALLY do this?) I want to play in my comfy chair on the big nice TV and not hunched over a keyboard like I am eight hours a day at work.

So yah. I don't know what the console will be, but I'll buy it at launch. There are definitely downsides (cost of software, Gold subs, etc.) but to me, the above are the key.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
For those who don't like UWP, I'd recommend listening to Jez Corden (Windows Central) who talked about the changes they're gonna make on a podcast last night ( hint : it's to do with Win32):

Very interesting. I really hope Jez is right. If MS would use win32 for their games AND stop encrypting game files, I would have no further issues using their store. Their ridiculous pricing is already (kind of) resolved with game pass.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
Right now if you own a PS4, Switch and decent PC you can play everything. There's really no gaps in that lineup. Why would you ever by an Xbox One?

Next gen if they do the same thing, of course I want a PS5 because of all the first party games and de facto Eastern exclusives but if my PC can handle it, I'll just save the money and pass on XboxTwo.

I've always thought this is a weird strategy. If they just care about their services, cool, but ditch the dedicated platform and focus on those services, release your games on PS4 and Switch too.

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Still interested in their next console, primarily because of their backwards compatibility efforts. At this point all I desire is a few key titles hitting the service - such as the Ninja Garden sequels and Asura's Wrath - and the option to force higher resolution on a system level.

As far as their PC storefront goes, though, I just want a decent standalone client to use. Nothing that comes pre-installed with Windows, just something like Steam and Origin that download and is only there for the games.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Where's the option for More interested?

I will always have a console and having one that allows me to have the same library on many devices is a plus to me, not a detriment.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Microsoft can put as many games as it likes on PC, and I'll still continue to have more interest in playing on Xbox until Microsoft makes an Xbox-style UI for Windows that completely eliminates the need for keyboard and mouse. Plus, I prefer the simplicity that comes with not having to deal with graphics settings so much on Xbox, not to mention more streamlined support for HDR.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
Its amazing how much negativity there is around MS bringing their exclusives to the PC. You would think people will be happy that there are no console exclusives but obviously there is that plastic loyalty that blinds people. Now if MS actually fixes the Windows store I would gladly play the games on my gaming PC.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Long term significantly less interested.
Short term (can't justify the spending yet and wanted to save up for a PC) I'd more interested, but I have pretty much zero interest in their current line up, so it's pretty much a non factor at the moment.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Microsoft can put as many games as it likes on PC, and I'll still continue to have more interest in playing on Xbox until Microsoft makes an Xbox-style UI for Windows that completely eliminates the need for keyboard and mouse. Plus, I prefer the simplicity that comes with not having to deal with graphics settings so much on Xbox, not to mention more streamlined support for HDR.

What kind of games do you currently play on PC that you can't play on console? You are one of the first pc gamers I hear saying they want to eliminate the need for keyboard and mouse.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Little interest in Xbox (outside of BC), but I'm sure Microsoft is okay with that. I may not be spending the hundreds of dollars I was on 360, but at least they're getting a little money now. Because if their games weren't on PC, I simply wouldn't be playing them.

They most likely will via XCloud.

Not sure if you're serious, but there's no way in hell Sony is going to allow XCloud on Playstation.

And good luck playing any games through streaming with the garbage-ass wifi chip the Switch has. Though apparently RE7 works well enough, so who knows.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
I don't personally understand why anybody that prefers to play games on PC would buy an Xbox given this fact. What even is the point (assuming you're a PC gamer, not talking about people that prefer consoles.) The only reasonable explanation is that's where their friends play, I can't really think of any other reason.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Every time they mentioned "Also coming to PC" at E3, I just think to myself "one less reason to own an Xbox..."

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After the end of Xbox 360 period, there was never a reason to get Xbox anymore.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I don't personally understand why anybody that prefers to play games on PC would buy an Xbox given this fact. What even is the point (assuming you're a PC gamer, not talking about people that prefer consoles.) The only reasonable explanation is that's where their friends play, I can't really think of any other reason.

Crossbuy and crossprogression.

After the Xbox 360 period, there was never a reason to get Xbox anymore.

What has changed in your opinion?

Oct 25, 2017
PC will always be my preferred platform, and as long as there aren't any egregious performance issues with the PC version, I don't really see a compelling reason to own an Xbox. The fact that I can cross play games like Gears4 with friends on xbox, join parties, etc. all without having to pay for a gold sub makes owning the console even more redundant.

I bought a One X about a year ago and can count how many times I've booted the thing on one hand. I've had my fair share of issues with UWP games, but luckily most of the titles I've been interested also came out on Steam at the same time or shortly after.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I'm weird. I have a large PC but occasionally still see games as console games and then wanna game them on there so I'll get all the boxes regardless. Just maybe not at launch.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Crossplay makes me interested in coming out of my PC gaming retirement. I won't stop being a console gamer first. If anything, makes me double down on the ecosystem seeing how flexible it could be in the future.

For me it's not about cost. It's convenience. If my games move back and forth between platforms and I'm able to interact with my friends, don't mind investing in PC gaming. Waiting for portable PC options that make sense. Less about power and more about being able to play Age of Empires and other strategy games on the go.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
What kind of games do you currently play on PC that you can't play on console? You are one of the first pc gamers I hear saying they want to eliminate the need for keyboard and mouse.
I'm referring to the need for a keyboard and mouse for navigating my games library (Steam BPM is too unstable for my liking.), bypassing launchers, etc. Also, there are a lot of games that don't hide the mouse pointer when you're using a controller, and some even reset the mouse pointer position to the center on menus. It's really irritating.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm referring to the need for a keyboard and mouse for navigating my games library (Steam BPM is too unstable for my liking.), bypassing launchers, etc. Also, there are a lot of games that don't hide the mouse pointer when you're using a controller, and some even reset the mouse pointer position to the center on menus. It's really irritating.

Ah, makes sense. I currently do not have any interest in console gaming, but I could myself going that route in the future.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I have an upper mid range gaming PC and a One X and plan to upgrade to a beastly PC soon, and I might still consider purchasing the next Xbox for BC, features, ease of use, but most notably, the really cool synergy that comes with having both, a synergy I fully expect will become more and more fleshed out under Microsoft's new Xbox strategy, increasing the value of owning both.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I've already had no interest in the Xbox One since they started their policy of bringing all their games to Windows as well.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll continue to get open world games on console, it's just more comfortable to explore with a controller on the big screen.
PC for games that play better there, Rainbow Six Siege, Hitman, Battlefield, ...etc.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
What interest could I possibly have in hardware that will play the same games at significantly worse performance than what I'll be able to do on my pc? Spend more money on hardware just to purposely gimp my experience? Oh and pay to play online? Why? Play anywhere basically cemented the fact that as long as it's around, I'll never have to purchase any future Xbox hardware for MS exclusives.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
What interest could I possibly have in hardware that will play the same games at significantly worse performance than what I'll be able to do on my pc? Spend more money on hardware just to purposely gimp my experience? Oh and pay to play online? Why? Play anywhere basically cemented the fact that as long as it's around, I'll never have to purchase any future Xbox hardware for MS exclusives.

Because some PC gamers don't have a Steam Link or have their PC hooked up to their TV. So cross buy and cross progression could be a nice incentive.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Less interested. It means saving money on buying the hardware, and I could just use my PC instead (which I'd already be using).

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Only way I would consider playing Microsoft games on PC is if they drop the UWP format. I can live with the terrible Windows Store, but not with UWP.
I'm not meaning to single you out, but many people have expressed this opinion.

UWP is a great step forward that Windows needed.
…but it's not great for PC gamers because it's incompatible with many of the tools we are used to, and limits what can be done with modifications.
And by modifications, I don't mean developer-sanctioned mod support like we have with Steam Workshop and similar, but actually dropping DLLs into the game directory or modifying game files themselves.

I am using UWP apps on my system whenever they are available.
They install in seconds and update automatically from a central, trusted source, without requiring any user interaction.
They are completely self-contained and are guaranteed to uninstall cleanly. Any files they install or registry modifications they make are completely virtualized.

Even modern drivers are built to support this now. My Realtek audio, Intel networking hardware, and NVIDIA video drivers are all using modern DCH drivers now, and their control panels are lightweight UWP apps instead of installing crap all over the system.

Seems like they are considering that atm and even collaborating with steam:

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/wind...nload-brings-gaming-improvements/#more-122624
Are you sure that's not just Centennial apps?

I haven't been able to get the latest insider build to run inside a VM (tells me there's an update ready, but never attempts to install it) so I haven't been able to test it, but I suspect that it's going to be some form of Centennial app where everything is still containerized, but still able to be modified like a standard Win32 app - which would probably be the best of both worlds for PC gamers.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Even this gen I have no idea why I bought a X1X and with rewards I have sixty quid sat in Microsoft wallet but nothing to spend it on.
My next games are Div2 and Anthem but both are pre ordered on pc, so for me X1X2 needs to have a reason to be valid.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm not meaning to single you out, but many people have expressed this opinion.

UWP is a great step forward that Windows needed.
…but it's not great for PC gamers because it's incompatible with many of the tools we are used to, and limits what can be done with modifications.
And by modifications, I don't mean developer-sanctioned mod support like we have with Steam Workshop and similar, but actually dropping DLLs into the game directory or modifying game files themselves.

I am using UWP apps on my system whenever they are available.
They install in seconds and update automatically from a central, trusted source, without requiring any user interaction.
They are completely self-contained and are guaranteed to uninstall cleanly. Any files they install or registry modifications they make are completely virtualized.

Even modern drivers are built to support this now. My Realtek audio, Intel networking hardware, and NVIDIA video drivers are all using modern DCH drivers now, and their control panels are lightweight UWP apps instead of installing crap all over the system.

Are you sure that's not just Centennial apps?

I haven't been able to get the latest insider build to run inside a VM (tells me there's an update ready, but never attempts to install it) so I haven't been able to test it, but I suspect that it's going to be some form of Centennial app where everything is still containerized, but still able to be modified like a standard Win32 app - which would probably be the best of both worlds for PC gamers.

What they are currently doing (I hope) is using the Centennial bridge, as seen in the video, to wrap Steamworks games in the Microsoft Store. But this leaves many questions, will the games that use the Steam Workshop be dependent on Steam? Will the updating go through the Microsoft Store? Will they be able to monetize the games themselves via Gamepass, Play Anywhere, etc?

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get how this would increase the interest of a PC gamer to buy an Xbox

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll buy an Xbox regardless. I prefer the console experience over the PC experience. I stream some games to my TV if the PC version is so much better than the console version, but beyond that I prefer just getting home, sitting on the couch and being immersed in the console ecosystem.

Its amazing how much negativity there is around MS bringing their exclusives to the PC. You would think people will be happy that there are no console exclusives but obviously there is that plastic loyalty that blinds people. Now if MS actually fixes the Windows store I would gladly play the games on my gaming PC.

Yeah it has always been odd to me as well. People act like it's a positive that they have to buy a Playstation to play Sony's exclusives. It's amusing how relevant Phil Spencer's joke about people acting like they found a loophole by buying PC games still is. Microsoft wants people in the Xbox ecosystem, whether you get there by buying their console or through a Windows PC they don't really care.

I don't get how this would increase the interest of a PC gamer to buy an Xbox

Most Microsoft games are Play Anywhere, so if they release a game on PC it would mean that whenever you use an Xbox all your progress and etc. would be there seamlessly. I could be that being a selling point for someone who is going to be switching between a PC and a console.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not interested in an Xbox at all. The same is true of the Windows Store.

There are far too many fantastic games released every year to concern myself with a few on platforms I want nothing to do with.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of anything that would make me make the switch, as I enjoy the PC as my gaming platform of choice. So my interest in switching would stay right around where it is npw, hovering just above '0'. Adding more games gives me less incentive to change that. And with emulation picking up for the OGX and the X360, I can just buy the games and play them on PC anyway.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
My answer would be "slightly less interested": Not because of perceived diminished value of the console, but because I actively dislike the windows store, and any big release that ends up there further hurts my perception of the microsoft brand.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Zero interest before and zero interest now in getting an Xbox console specifically. That has more to do with having PCs where I prefer to play on a bunch of services, the windows store ecosystem / UWP still being shit compared to others, and the Xbox exclusive games not holding as much interest to me so far.

Going forward though, streaming solutions could certainly be interesting, particularly as my time for gaming becomes more sparse. If there are enough throw away "one and done" multiplatform / xbox titles to justify a sub cost for streaming, i'd certainly give that some thought assuming the solution is justifiable