• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PC gamers, if Microsoft keeps bringing XB exclusives to PC, how interested are you in the next XB?

• Still interested

Votes: 318 28.1%
  • Less interested

Votes: 812 71.9%

• Total voters

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
xbox-e3-2018-microsoft.jpg

The direction that Microsoft is taking in merging both the Xbox and PC platforms in gaming in several ways like releasing their exclusives on both platforms on the same day

If this trend continues as is, will the PC owners (if planning to buy a console) find it worthwhile to buy the next Xbox even though they know all the exclusive content will be released on PC, as well?

Or will they shift their interest to another competitor?

Do exclusive games play a part in your decision to buy consoles?

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Less interested, but I will see what happens with game pass on PC.

Game pass will be my deciding factor.

My X is pretty much a game pass, BC and pre-Windows Xbox exclusive machine (like Rare Replay).

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
The whole point of Microsoft's shift in strategy is that they don't really care where you play their games, so long as you're signing in to Xbox Live and using their services. New dedicated hardware will exist for people who want it, but MS clearly want more people playing in more different places across the board - be that on PC, or XCloud streaming on mobile, or even other platforms. So I suspect to Microsoft - if their strategy plays out how they envision - it doesn't matter either way.

For me personally, it'll come down to how good the box is outside games. If everything is on PC, I'm less inclined to buy a box, but if the box is a really solid multimedia box then obviously at that point it becomes very tempting to install one in the living room.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Less interested.

I use my Xbox One X currently as a 4k player and the odd game but I'm due an upgrade to my pc so I might just use that in conjunction with PS5 next gen.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't change anything for me. If a game I want to play is available on console, I prefer to play it there. WoW is the only game I play regularly on PC.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I don't care about the physical hardware. The more people get to play more games, the better. The more places I can play the games I want, the better.

The companies that want to have their software locked only to their piece of plastic, won't get my coins.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
No, why would I want additional junk in my house? Not that I was interested in owning an Xbox in the first place.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
The whole point of Microsoft's shift in strategy is that they don't really care where you play their games, so long as you're signing in to Xbox Live and using their services. New dedicated hardware will exist for people who want it, but MS clearly want more people playing in more different places across the board - be that on PC, or XCloud streaming on mobile, or even other platforms. So I suspect to Microsoft - if their strategy plays out how they envision - it doesn't matter either way.

For me personally, it'll come down to how good the box is outside games. If everything is on PC, I'm less inclined to buy a box, but if the box is a really solid multimedia box then obviously at that point it becomes very tempting to install one in the living room.

You just explained Phil's loophole. ;)

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I'm still interested because:

A) Some of my friends have Macs for work and don't own a PC so we still need a place we can game together.

B) Not every console game comes to PC, even if MS exclusives will. (See EA who release FIFA/Madden on PC but not NHL for one example)

C) I end up buying every system anyway.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Less interested, don't see why I should buy xb2 and pay for online when I already have a pc.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

It could decrease your interest in an Xbox. But it could also increase your interest in it, depends on what you want in a console.

- It could decrease your interest in buying an Xbox because you can get Microsoft products on PC, so you don't need another piece of plastic.
- It could increase your interset in buying an Xbox because the games you'll play on PC will have cross progression, cross play and cross buy with your Xbox. So your progression and purchases are more mobile.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
I care about their games. Not their hardware anymore. I have a capable PC so it is there I will play third party games and Xbox games.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Where is the "more interested" -option? As I really prefer buying once and playing anywhere compared to closed platforms (even if that means losing access to few games).

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I'll soon upgrade / change my machine, and yeah, no interest in the XBox if the exclusives end up on PC.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Still interested only from a BC perspective. It's nice for my OG Xbox (granted they keep releasing these) and 360 games.

But for sure, exclusive games will be PC only. It's already at that point for me (Gears 4, SoT, Forza).

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
It could decrease your interest in an Xbox. But it could also increase your interest in it, depends on what you want in a console.

- It could decrease your interest in buying an Xbox because you can get Microsoft products on PC, so you don't need another piece of plastic.
- It could increase your interset in buying an Xbox because the games you'll play on PC will have cross progression, cross play and cross buy with your Xbox. So your progression and purchases are more mobile.
Mobile?

I already have Steam Link and Gamestream. I don't see the need to buy a box just to do that. It also goes without saying that even on PC MS store purchases aren't that attractive in the first place.

Contrite

Dec 12, 2017
As long as they continue to release all the exclusives on PC there's literally a zero percent chance I'll ever even consider getting an Xbox.

Granted, the only XB exclusive I've ever wanted was Tales of Vesperia, so it doesn't really make much of an impact either way. Their purchase of Obsidian could've changed that, though.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Play anywhere is the reason i'll never need an Xbox. My current PC already surpasses the X in hardware so all games look and run better on it which will continue into the next generation of consoles since i plan to upgrade to ensure my PC is better than PS5/Scarlet not to mention having no need to pay for Live is also a huge benefit.

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
I'm more interested as I never see myself having more then a hybrid notebook/compact laptop for surfing and work PC-wise, desktops have become waay too much baggage for me over the years...

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm no PC gamer but if I was and had a rig that could run every game and MS puts out every first party game on pc as well literally there's zero reasons to get an Xbox anymore. In this scenario an Xbox is just the cheap alternative.

If you have a powerful gaming PC and are thinking about a console please by all means get a PS4 for the exclusives or a Switch for portability and/or Nintendo exclusives. The reasons to get an Xbox while toting a good gaming PC are practically none.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
Until MS brings their entire library through BC emulation, I'll probably keep going between my X (eventually next-gen console) and PC. I'm also an unfortunate sucker for achievements, so sometimes I'd rather get third party games on my Xbox because of that. If there's mod support though, I'll easily choose PC.

Though I also family share on the Xbox with my brother, so that's another reason why I'd stay.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I play like 80% on PC and the rest split between PS4 and Switch. Don't really use my launch XB1.

I'm getting the Anaconda next gen at launch because my games carry over and a lot of games I prefer playing on controller anyway.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
I would really like them to continue this because I think its the best option for everyone & preservation and they can have the high powered SKU ala XB1X for console people who don't want to build/buy a PC yet still want the higher fidelity stuff. My PC is like 3 years old I think, so at this stage I'm more likely to upgrade parts than buy an Xbox Two but its good options for everyone

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
You just explained Phil's loophole. ;)

I just think the equation has changed for Microsoft - not just Xbox, but the whole company. People often think this is all Phil, but this is driven by Nadella as much as anything else, as the 'services shift' is happening right across the company, from Office to Windows and on and on. It's just Xbox moving to be aligned with everything else that's going on.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
0 interest because it'll still mean using that god awful Windows Store.

So, you mean 100% interest. If you buy an Xbox you don't need to use the Windows store. ;)

I can already do that though.

Yeah, I don't think you are the target demographic for an Xbox in any way. You have a couch setup for your PC. But for people that don't have a couch setup for their PC, an Xbox could be interesting if they like cross progression and cross buy. That's the point I was trying to make.

Theta

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Trinidad and Tobago
We don't even know what kind of exclusives they'll be making next gen. They just doubled their amount of studios. Who knows what they come up with.
As of recent, the majority of their games seem to take a more formulaic approach. If they were to ever to remaster Perfect Dark and Perfect Dark Zero onto the PC platform or make its sequel then I'll be interested.
Also I hope they expand their titles to other platforms besides the Windows store.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Literally 0 interest but you know what, I think MS is fine with that.

Realistically speaking, they're never going to convince members of the PC space to get an Xbox particularly when most people who own a PC + console will go for the ones with more variety which is Nintendo or Sony consoles.

Almost all of Asia is a region where the Xbox will play second fiddle to the Playstation but the PC still a dominant force in that region so if they convince people like me to still get invested into their ecosystem ON PC, then I personally think that's still a huge win for Microsoft.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Very interested. Having 2 xboxs and a neatly PC in my house is amazing for my family. We all share games and can play wherever is convenient.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
As of recent, the majority of their games seem to take a more formulaic approach. If they were to ever to remaster Perfect Dark and Perfect Dark Zero onto the PC platform or make its sequel then I'll be interested.
Also I hope they expand their titles to other platforms besides the Windows store.

There are rumors they are making a new Perfect Dark. And it would come to PC 100%.

And their recent Windows Insider build is testing playing Steam games through the Windows Store. It's an interesting concept.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
More and more I move over to PC, the windows store has never been an issue and I love getting great preformance while also choosing if I have to sacrifice if anything to get that goal.

That being said, I still need something under a 4K tv and an Xbox One X is totally a part of that picture and if things keep going both a PS5 and Xbox Scarlett will be under my tv. for Console exclusive titles, streaming services and playing while laying back in a couch and not hunched over a desk.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No reason to play on a console if I can play on PC, as far as I'm concerned.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
Really depends on whether Xbox or PS has the highest quality 3rd party games. If Xbox games simply run better then I'll also own that system even if I get their exclusives on PC.

snail_maze

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not interested in any console but like this I perhaps buy some of their software. It would need to not be in an UWP format, but as soon as that happens then I am a potential customer. Don't know how much that is something they are intersted in though

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
My potential interest in an Xbox isn't affected by the availability of exclusives. I would seriously consider buying an Xbox if it could run normal Windows games.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A major point of being a PC gamer is to not play games on consoles. I know that sounds a bit silly and blunt, but it's true. PC gaming has its own culture that goes all the way back to home computers. Console gaming culture developed separately for the most part. Microsoft spent a decade trying to bribe and emotionally blackmail PC gamers into playing games on an Xbox. With a gamepad. And it didn't work, for the most part. PC Halo fans didn't follow the series to Xbox. They just stopped playing Halo. PC Gears of War fans just stopped playing Gears of War.

MS are clearly trying to blur some lines with official support for M+KB on Xbox, and 60fps in their first party games, and stuff like that. Also they've clearly got an interest in trying to make game modding more popular on consoles. Their work with Bethesda is a demonstration of this. The mods available for Fallout 4 and Skyrim pale compared to PC, but they're leagues beyond what you can get on Playstation.

But fundamentally, if you're a PC gamer playing your games with a mouse and keyboard, MS are now trying to cater to you through their first part efforts on Windows. They're also seemingly trying to fix the technical disaster that is the Microsoft Store. They're not gonna try and hold your favorite games hostage in the hope you'll buy a console to play them. "Hey you know how you like playing Halo with a mouse and keyboard? How'd you like to play Halo at drastically reduced resolution and framerate with a dual analogue controller!? Sounds exciting, right!?"

I really want MS to port Rare Replay to Windows, BTW.