• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Ubisoft games are some of the best looking, but most demanding games on the platform and each year they release a game that has some features that will bring today's PC to their knees. I picked up Ass Creed Odyssey and i'm happy to say the game runs at a steady 60 fps just turning the resolution down to 1080p. That's a first for me with any open world Ubi game. Usually it always chugs in the upper 40s for me. :/

What normally do you guys turn down to make Ubi games playable? Resolution down, but all settings up or turn settings down?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Volumetrics almost always cause framerate to chug on the highest settings, and turning it down a notch (or two) will give you most of that performance back while still looking good.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I like to play at 1440p, so I turn settings down so I can stay around 60 FPS. I played Origins on medium to do so. Holding off on Odyssey until I do a new build later this year. After putting 80 hours into Origins I need to wait a bit before jumping back into Assassins Creed.

I did the same Division 2 earlier this year. I think my settings were a mix of medium and high. Could maintain 60 FPS at 1440.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
On my 1070, I play Odyssey at a locked 70 fps at highest settings, except for volumetric clouds @1280x960, and it's gorgeous (on my CRT at least):

iUiF2q.png

iUiPYD.png

icmxec.png

icmyyK.png

Last edited:

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Iirc volumetric clouds was one of the performance killer settings. Id start there then go to shadows. I'll tick off setting quality way way way way before I'll reduce resolution from my native res.

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
I get comfortable with the concept of capping my framerate at 45 and playing with a controller. I did this with Odyssey and it worked well, Origins stuttered a lot for me until I locked it at 30fps. But, I'm cool running the Division 2 at above 60fps on high settings. The only game I gave up on was Watch Dogs 2. No matter what I did that title was a mess of stuttering, it was absolutely unplayable.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I upgraded my CPU and motherboard and RAM. Got a Ryzen 3700x and now AC easily runs at at least 60 fps solid for me. I still have a 60 hz monitor so it is perfect for me. Beyond that I become GPU limited and would start turning down some settings if I wanted even higher framerates than 60 consistently.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I'm currently playing AC Origins with my old Haswell i5. This isn't like The Witcher 3 where you can turn down a couple of settings a notch and still get a steady 60 FPS, that's impossible with this game. Being CPU-bound, below a certain point most of the settings don't make any difference to performance. Shadows have a bit of impact, but anything lower than high performs the same.

The only setting that makes a significant difference is environment details. I use the lowest setting and the change is barely noticeable, but it runs quite a bit better.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Brute force. Although, in hindsight, I wish I'd held on to my 2600K for another CPU generation and upgraded to the 8c/16t 7820X rather than the 6c/12t 6800K (which I had to replace with an 8700K on account of my motherboard dying in late 2018), it was nice playing Watch Dogs 2 at 60fps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm currently playing AC Origins with my old Haswell i5. This isn't like The Witcher 3 where you can turn down a couple of settings a notch and still get a steady 60 FPS, that's impossible with this game. Being CPU-bound, below a certain point most of the settings don't make any difference to performance. Shadows have a bit of impact, but anything lower than high performs the same.

The only setting that makes a significant difference is environment details. I use the lowest setting and the change is barely noticeable, but it runs quite a bit better.
My old 4700k and even 6700k suffered with Ubisoft games with terrible microstuter. The 3900x really is a blessing. So much more consistent performance.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I literally threw out my 4c/8t i7 because of Odyssey. The stutters were to real.

But that's not because of "ubisoft" in general, that's my solution when I start getting disappointed with my performance: I start thinking about an upgrade.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
In my old rig I was only able to play up to AC Revelations. Tried AC3 but it ran at 20 fps at lowest settings.

With my new PC - I am able to run it at 60 fps at max settings - not sure about the rest.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
The dual layered DRM for some recent Ubi games really seems to be rough with performance. Luckily I've brute forced the ever living poop out of it by now, so it's extremely smooth. I just feel like a less performance-eating DRM solution would be greatly appreciated by their PC supporters.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
The broader question here seems to be what we consider playable: your "chugs in the upper 40s" is how I played Assassin's Creed: Origins and it was not unplayable. I could have dropped the quality down a bit but I wasn't going to reach a locked 60fps whatever the settings I chose (short of significantly reducing the resolution) so I decided to leave the better quality settings on. So my answer, I guess, is that I make do.

I don't play Ubisoft's games often but this topic applies to many other games. No Man's Sky has its performance issues and I've learnt to make do with what I can get with that game.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
The dual layered DRM for some recent Ubi games really seems to be rough with performance. Luckily I've brute forced the ever living poop out of it by now, so it's extremely smooth. I just feel like a less performance-eating DRM solution would be greatly appreciated by their PC supporters.

AC Origins has a cracked version that got denuvo stripped out of it. There's a pretty good benchmark on the crackwatch subreddit about it (not gonna link it for obvious reasons - the title is " non misleading benchmark of Denuvo in AC Origins" - aside from load times being reduced, the performance difference is basically close to impossible to measure.

AC Origins and Odyssey's problem isn't the DRM... they're just not particularly well optimized to run above 30 fps.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
You need a good CPU to play UBI games much more than a GPU.

On a 1080ti on ultra and a i7 8800k i run Odyssey between 50 and 80 fps at 1440p. So no problems running it at all.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
I just don't buy them anymore (because they ran like shit on my pc, starting with AC: Origins)

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I through hardware at it.
It's usually worth it, since I enjoy their games a lot (Wildlands, Division 1 & 2 especially).

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Playing both Anno 1800 and Division 2 on medium setting @1440 on my 980TI worked for me. Division 2 still doesn't run all that great but it's playable. Medium @1440 looks better than high @1080p, too. At least on my screen.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
We do what we do with every PC game. Shadows down to medium, expensive effects off, resolution scaling at <100% if it's available. You also don't really need as much anti-aliasing as you think, just enough to remove most of the "shimmer" created by jagged edges. Likewise, anisotropic filtering usually doesn't need to be more than 2x/4x in a lot of cases. When the action heats up, you don't notice any of the fancy stuff. Performance is way more important.

Forcing a 21:9 aspect ratio on a 16:9 display (by creating a custom resolution) works wonders for some games as well. It's roughly 25% fewer pixels to render and you can often see more from side to side. Assassin's Creed games from Unity onwards look and run amazing in 3840x1620.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
Removing the layers upon layers of DRM would be the biggest performance boost.

Jun 2, 2019
Shadow quality and volumetrics, mostly. However with a Ryzen 1600 and rtx 2060 I still have no need to fiddle with the settings too much.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I just aim to play at 1440/60 with their games. Upgrade my system accordingly if it cannot make that.
However, I wait for sales and by then there are patches that improve the optimization of the game by then.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Call me crazy, but I usually find the Assassin's creed games to look ugly when people post screenshots, yet they seem so demanding on the CPU.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Check if DF has one of those performance videos on it, turn LOD distance down a few notches, medium-high shadows, dial down contact shadows, make sure I don't have the insane AO setting on, volumetric stuff medium or low, and use the more modest AA setting. I'm on a super old PC though. I tend to think they run pretty decently all things considered. The one big bummer is that I think both Origins and Odyssey had useless benchmarks where time of day would vary from run to run or something. Also Denuvo.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I played Odyssey at (actual) 4K and Ultra/high just fine, the catch was settling for 30FPS which I'm fine with in single-player games. Had overhead for ReShade too.

I play R6 Siege at 1800p and 60FPS, Ultra w/ 4K textures.

Of course it requires a beefy PC though. I have 8700k, 1080ti, and 32GB of 3600mhz DDR4 lol.

Ubisoft ports really don't bother me, I think they're great and love how they push tech. Hopefully by the time the next AssCreed is out, Nvidia drops the 3080ti. :)