• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

As VR hardware sales approach $2.1 billion, we can put to rest any notion of VR being a fad.

It seems the convenience, capabilities, and price ($399) of the Quest are a winning combination for would-be VR adopters to make the leap. To wit, Nielsen's SuperData Research says VR hardware revenue is on pace to hit $2.1 billion by the end of the year, up 31 percent from $1.6 billion in 2018, thanks in large part to the Quest.

Clumping all three categories together, the 'XR' market as a whole is on track to hit $8.5 billion in 2020, SuperData Research says. That perhaps suggests that no single variant will outright win the market. More importantly, however, it means developers should have incentive to continue building more VR, AR, and MR experiences, which could have a snowball effect on hardware adoption.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I hope it keeps increasing so the companies have a reason to keep improving the tech. I've had a blast with my CV1 Rift, but I'd love to upgrade and get rid of the sensors and wires at some point and start getting more AAA experiences to play.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
giphy.gif

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I own a Vive already, but the portability, price point, and features of the Quest make it very appealing.

About to try out OrbusVR in a few. I doubt it'll quite get what I want out of a VR MMORPG, but we'll see...

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Hope Half Life Alyx hits it out the park, really looking forward to it and will further expand VR. Wonder if Valve will do a portable?

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I own a Vive already, but the portability, price point, and features of the Quest make it very appealing.

About to try out OrbusVR in a few. I doubt it'll quite get what I want out of a VR MMORPG, but we'll see...

One thing I haven't seen mentioned often is that VivePort Infinity now also works on the Oculus Quest. VivePort Infinity is the "GamePass" of the VR world, it's HTC's subscription game service. It used to only work with the Vive and Vive Focus, but with in the last month, it's come to all VR headsets. You can subscribe to VivePort Infinity and play all the games on the VivePort store.

Unfortunately, it's not nearly the library that Steam or the Rift Store is, though.

Has some real bangers like To The Top, though.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the quest is making huge inroads for VR right now. Valve has to see this and they really should make their own sub 500 portable device.

Quest isn't quite there for me yet but I'll probably hop on a Quest Version 2 model that I'm guessing will have a host of improvements from screen to refresh rate to comfort.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hope Half Life Alyx hits it out the park, really looking forward to it and will further expand VR. Wonder if Valve will do a portable?

My expectations are super high for Half-Life: Alyx. Like I am hoping that it feels like a fully realized Half-Life experience (without major limitations) with the level of physics and NPC interactions as seen in Boneworks. I'm probably going to be disappointed though lol. I just want the ability to push a Combine soldier down a flight of stairs or trip someone, etc. Dumb stuff like that which will allow for so many fun opportunities.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I haven't seen mentioned often is that VivePort Infinity now also works on the Oculus Quest. VivePort Infinity is the "GamePass" of the VR world, it's HTC's subscription game service. It used to only work with the Vive and Vive Focus, but with in the last month, it's come to all VR headsets. You can subscribe to VivePort Infinity and play all the games on the VivePort store.

Unfortunately, it's not nearly the library that Steam or the Rift Store is, though.

I actually got like two months free when I got my Vive. It was pretty cool, but I had to let it lapse as I can't dedicate much time to games at school. :(

Fruit Ninja VR was so much fun tho.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My expectations are super high for Half-Life: Alyx. Like I am hoping that it feels like a fully realized Half-Life experience (without major limitations) with the level of physics and NPC interactions as seen in Boneworks. I'm probably going to be disappointed though lol. I just want the ability to push a Combine soldier down a flight of stairs or trip someone, etc. Dumb stuff like that which will allow for so many fun opportunities.

They already said Half Life Alyx would be about the length of Half Life 2. Not the shorter episodes, the full HL2. Roughly 12-15 hours.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Thank you so much for posting this, I've already found like 4 games I was gonna purchase on here so it would be much cheaper for me to subscribe and check them out!

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Fads" are known for being wildly and intensely popular amongst a broad spectrum of people. They are trends that penetrate and permeate a culture.

VR was never a fad because it was never popular. It is a steadily growing niche. I am surprised that the 31% YoY growth is due to the Quest rather than continued PSVR sale prices.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually got like two months free when I got my Vive. It was pretty cool, but I had to let it lapse as I can't dedicate much time to games at school. :(

Fruit Ninja VR was so much fun tho.

Ya, just noting that it actually works with all the headsets now, not just the Vive. When it first launched, it was exclusively for the Vive. It's actually a pretty good deal these days, lets you try out lots of smaller indie VR titles. Really good for playing around in between the big, tent pole VR releases.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ya, just noting that it actually works with all the headsets now, not just the Vive. When it first launched, it was exclusively for the Vive. It's actually a pretty good deal these days, lets you try out lots of smaller indie VR titles. Really good for playing around in between the big, tent pole VR releases.

I already see a game I want to try in Creed, so it might be time to resubscribe once Christmas break gets here. One good benefit of sharing libraries with your boyfriend is that we can try out each other's VR games.

A VR owner AND an Elly avatar, I like you already. :)

Ahahaha. Thank you >___<;;

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
I love the heck out of my Index. I know it's not the most financially affordable kit for everyone, but if you have the means, save up that $1000! It's well worth the money

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Very happy to hear this! I picked up the 5 game PSVR bundle last month for $200 and I'm loving it so far. It's amazing with Astro Bot and RE7

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I already see a game I want to try in Creed, so it might be time to resubscribe once Christmas break gets here. One good benefit of sharing libraries with your boyfriend is that we can try out each other's VR games.

That's another thing to mention -- Steam Family Sharing works with VR titles. A bunch of my friends and my dad all have VR headsets, all together I know 5 different people with PC VR Headsets around me that I consider very close. We all link our accounts so we share VR titles. I by far have the most, but surprisingly they have a lot of VR titles that I do not. Lets us easily check out the new VR releases.

If someone only picks up the big tentpole VR titles, they miss out on a lot of what makes VR currently great. The indie market, as it has been since the beginning, is where the freshest VR stuff is. It's the testing grounds that the tent pole releases crib from. Lots, and lots of indie VR titles released every day.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really trying to get in to an argument on whether or not it it's a fad, but not really? Kinect was selling like hot cakes at a point...

You can look on year on year sales of kinect and it's not true:

xbox-kinect-ww-shipments.png

2983141_13819640983077_rId6.png

Every single year Kinect was out, it sold less than the preceding year. Virtual Reality has been doing the exact opposite. VR sales increase every single year.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fsolrogers%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F06%2FScreen-Shot-2019-06-20-at-14.26.45.jpg

5 years into VR sales, the current sales trend is the absolute strongest it's ever been. Contrast to Kinect (and this forum's other favorite comparison, 3DTV) and 5 years into their technologies, sales had essentially halted.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone PLEASE say VR is a fad, compare it to kinect and motion controls (even though kinect started this machine vision boom and motion controls have moved to VR). Its not the Resetera I know and love without it

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Really excited for the future of VR. Hopefully I can order an Index kit in a month or so, my original Vive really needs a replacement soon.

Deleted member 227

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can look on year on year sales of kinect and it's not true:

xbox-kinect-ww-shipments.png

2983141_13819640983077_rId6.png

Every single year Kinect was out, it sold less than the preceding year. Virtual Reality has been doing the exact opposite. VR sales increase every single year.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fsolrogers%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F06%2FScreen-Shot-2019-06-20-at-14.26.45.jpg

5 years into VR sales, the current sales trend is the absolute strongest it's ever been. Contrast to Kinect (and this forum's other favorite comparison, 3DTV) and 5 years into their technologies, sales had essentially halted.
Oh wow, I only remember it getting a Guinness World Record for being the fastest selling device ever and it's LTD sales before discontinuation, so thanks. I'm still kinda reserved on revenue translating in to market adopting tbh, but I guess we'll see what happens after HL drops since that's meant to be the actual game changer.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, I only remember it getting a Guinness World Record for being the fastest selling device ever, thanks. I'm still kinda reserved on revenue translating in to market adopting tbh, but I guess we'll see what happens after HL drops since that's meant to be the actual game changer.

Kinect exploded out of the gate, then slowly faded away. So even when it was fading, it was still selling well, just not picking up steam.

This is a known trend in technology:

bbd1.jpg

It's known as Big Bang Market Adoption, it's the idea that the higher initial sales are, the faster they drop. The above is contrasting it to what is known as the Technological Adoption Curve, which is a bell curve. Technologies that follow the Big Bang Market Adoption model don't last. Those that follow the Technological Adoption Curve, tend to be transformative technologies that last much longer. VR has been following the latter, Kinect followed the former.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am not saying stuff out now ISN'T good many titles have been but its doing better than I thought with what we have. With a couple more blockbusters its going to be crazy.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Impressive number regardless and proves a lot of what I've been saying about VR wrong, but I can't help but be curious what that translates to in units. Even when you're in the billions though, you have to be in or around million(s) territory for units.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Impressive number regardless and proves a lot of what I've been saying about VR wrong, but I can't help but be curious what that translates to in units. Even when you're in the billions though, you have to be in or around million(s) territory for units.

Well, if we take the Oculus Quest in isolation for example, 2.1 billion divided by 399 is.....5.2 million units.

Of course certain headsets are worth more than others and can throw the math off, but I think it's fair to say VR headsets in general have easily cleared 1 million units.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It depends on where you want to draw the line about what is or isn't VR. Google Cardboard continues to endure, even since google just recently make the entire project open source and released of license. Cardboard downloads top 20 million. All those cheap, generic "phone" vr headsets fall under the "cardboard" umbrella, even on iOS.

If cardboard doesn't count, the estimate is about 5-8 million for the rift + PSVR + vive + windows VR.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, if we take the Oculus Quest in isolation for example, 2.1 billion divided by 399 is.....5.2 million units.

Of course certain headsets are worth more than others and can throw the math off, but I think it's fair to say VR headsets in general have easily cleared 1 million units.

Sony said PSVR has sold about 4.5 million earlier this year. monthly active Steam VR users passed 1 million earlier this year, too, although that's a voluntary survey so the numbers are lower than the number of actually used headsets. Oculus Quest has sold roughly half a million units in 6 months.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone PLEASE say VR is a fad, compare it to kinect and motion controls (even though kinect started this machine vision boom and motion controls have moved to VR). Its not the Resetera I know and love without it
Someone literally did this yesterday and called VR a gimmick similar to Kinect.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

I've been a VR owner for 11 days...

I started saving for a VR headset way back in 1993, the Sega VR. When that got canceled, I bought an Atari Jaguar in anticipation of the Jaguar VR. There was a mall on the other side of Houston, honestly an 1+ drive, that I'd make my dad take me to over and over again because they had a Virtuality Pod.

Been big on VR since the early 90's.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I never understood why some people call VR a fad. It's pretty niche and has been slowly growing each year. Fads typically explode onto the market and drop off. Opposite here. Not to mention VR has been around for a long time.

Glad to hear its growing. Means more quality software in the future.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I've had the PSVR since it launched and love it. After being out of stock everywhere for weeks now, the Quest went back in stock around 1:30am on Friday at Best Buy and I snagged it, and it even arrived 4 days early (today).

It is a fantastic piece of hardware, especially with the experimental finger tracking being so accurate.

Biggest disappointment: The PSVR is still the most comfortable VR headset on the market. The halo/ring headband should be adopted by everyone, and I can't believe the Quest is still using old-Oculus style velcro straps. It seems the Rift S at least has the right idea.

It's to the point where I'm looking at the Rift S replacement parts which includes a $60 replacement halo headband, and wondering if I can 3D print some kind of adapter.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just installed Half-Life 1 on my Quest for shits and wound up spending way more time in there than I expected. And that's in a weirdly-scaled and not-made-for-VR game! I just keep getting caught off guard with how much time I want to spend in VR, it rules.