• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
eD3RM5FAaTMTbDyWrv6WFd-650-80.jpg

Epic's acquisition of Rocket League studio Psyonix earlier this week resulted in a predictable reaction: A review bombing campaign that hit the game with more than 2,700 negative reviews on Steam since May 1. Yet in spite of that effort, the user review rating, including recent reviews, remains "very positive."
That's because of the system Valve implemented in March that excludes "off-topic review activity" from review score calculations—effectively an anti-review-bomb shield. An asterisk on the Rocket League review chart leads to a message stating that "this time range has been marked as containing an abnormal set of reviews that we believe are largely unrelated to the likelihood that you would enjoy the product."

Source

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
My goodness, people are immature.

Rocket League is a great game and Epic isn't a bad developer.

I can't think of a better developer to continue to keep Rocket League alive besides maybe the Minecraft team.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
its kind of funny that steam introduced review bombing protection just before epic swanned in and kicked off a potential review bombing storm. did them a solid there.

dont know why it's news though - 'people tried to do a thing to gain attention, it didnt work, we're giving them attention regardless' is stupid.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Can we have more honest titles, please? Like "Long time fans of game are upset that it has been bought out by a company that only cares to milk its customers and overwork its employees? "
And yeah, I get it. Reviewbombing is... weird. But it's certainly effective in regards to making people take notice.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Trolling and Misrepresenting Other Users' Arguments
GAMERS (tm)

But seriously. It's laughable how uptight people get over a game being moved to another launcher... on the same damn system. It's still a PC game, so just download the other app for fricks sake. You'd think with how mad people get it was actually an exclusive on another system now like the Mac App Store instead of yellow panic-fueled ranting. There's a bunch of perfectly legitimate reasons to dislike the epic games store (Personally, I'm waiting for achievements and two step before I make an account since I like Steam's way of doing those), but nobody needs to be immature like this in the slightest. Just wait or stick with your OG steam version, god... Part of me kinda wants them to get RDR1/RDR2 as epic exclusives just to have a nuclear meltdown take place from the results of that. Wonder if the people who get this mad ever bought something from Twitch or Windows 10 like I have, as guess what, those games run just as fine in different launchers even if they don't always have the features as PC games are PC games.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the bigger story here is Valve way of dealing with review bombing seems to be working. I'm glad they went about finding a fix rather than getting rid of reviews all together.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Misleading article name, and we already knew the system worked because it already got triggered when we review bombed all the Borderlands games.

They even acknowledge why their own article is clickbait within the article, in which they state that the game isn't getting review bombed due to the purchase, but due to the likelihood that the game will be removed from Steam. Epic has a history of this, and PCGamer's continuing their history of siding with Epic by misleading people into thinking it's 100% confirmed. Of course they're not gonna say it's getting removed from Steam. That's why they've been saying they don't have plans yet rather than straight up saying the game won't be removed.

Edit: And oh boy, thread already has a ton of posts from trolls with, "why do people have a problem with having to boot another launcher?"

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
GAMERS (tm)

But seriously. It's laughable how uptight people get over a game being moved to another launcher... on the same damn system. It's still a PC game, so just download the other app for fricks sake. You'd think with how mad people get it was actually an exclusive on another system now like the Mac App Store instead of yellow panic-fueled ranting. There's a bunch of reasons to dislike the epic games store (Personally, I'm waiting for achievements and two step before I make an account), but nobody needs to be immature like this in the slightest. Just wait or stick with your OG steam version, god...
The last thing PC gaming needs is this decisive loyalty to brands and distributors. It's becoming almost a mini console war of sorts. PC gaming isn't limited to just Steam. Look at what happeend with SteamOS.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
The last thing PC gaming needs is this decisive loyalty to brands and distributors. It's becoming almost a mini console war of sorts. PC gaming isn't limited to just Steam. Look at what happeend with SteamOS.

I mean... You know something's wrong when some game devs are having more luck on a freaking shareware site (Itch io) over Steam since Steam's discoverability is godawful and they don't do a good job at promoting non-popular stuff. It's no wonder why devs are doing deals with EGS or releasing in more than one place. Very depressing that awesome hidden gems on steam like Elena Temple, Venture Kid and Space Mouse will almost certainly be buried forever on PC because of that, with console ports as their only hopes.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Can we have more honest titles, please? Like "Long time fans of game are upset that it has been bought out by a company that only cares to milk its customers and overwork its employees? "
And yeah, I get it. Reviewbombing is... weird. But it's certainly effective in regards to making people take notice.
"and are review bombing the very same game they're a longtime fan of that isn't being taken down or rendered unplayable in any capacity"

Fixed your title fix.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"and are review bombing the very same game they're a longtime fan of that isn't being taken down or rendered unplayable in any capacity"

Fixed your title fix.
Oh, so you have a time machine or access to a version of Tim Sweeney that's not a compulsive liar?

Why in the world would you admit to this?
Is it against the rules?

Did you not read my post?

Clearly there are some people not like you who have seen the positive effects review bombing has had.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Unskew the thread titles!

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Be shitty to your customers cause you are greedy, you get what you deserved. Enjoy your bag of cash.

Nov 8, 2017
Isn't RL staying on Steam?

It was reported as being removed, then it was reported as staying, but the reports of it staying were actually paraphrases of "we have not announced any plans to remove it from steam currently", which is what was actually said.

So not right now, but after it goes live on EGS, more likely than not if you're asking me to read the tea leaves.

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
We're still unsure if RL is gonna be pulled from Steam, but it is a shitty move if they're gonna do it. Regardless if you're with or against this review bombing that is happening (which, as mentioned, Valve's new review system is preventing).

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like that if they're review bombing a great game for being owned by someone

Well, Epic (purposefully) doesn't have any direct avenues for feedback. Review bombing isn't ideal, but people will use whatever means available to them to make their voices heard.

Steam has a working filter for this anyway. The comments of disappointment will remain while keeping the review metric intact.

I'd agree if the majority of protests I see online were actually about their business practices. The most common reasoning I see is that people don't want to use EGS and they only want Steam to exist.

You aren't looking very hard.

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like that if they're review bombing a great game for being owned by someone

The problem was that in the announcement they told all their costumer that the game was going to disappear from steam, you know the same place where they builded their community in the last 3 (Or more?) years. Psyonix and epic backtracked from that hours later because of the reaction and even then it's not clear (For me it is but I want to give them the benefit of doubt)if they'll remove the game from the store starting this fall.

Classy PCGamer with this headline.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me this proves Valve's system is arbitrary. This is a case where review bombing is completely appropiate.

Also shows Valve are too generous when it comes to Epic. If you're going to say that a company who is trying to hurt you business-wise and your customers isn't an on-topic review bomb, what is?

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was reported as being removed, then it was reported as staying, but the reports of it staying were actually paraphrases of "we have not announced any plans to remove it from steam currently", which is what was actually said.

So not right now, but after it goes live on EGS, more likely than not if you're asking me to read the tea leaves.
I assume I'm fine since I already own the game, I doubt they'd go so far as to remove it from everybody's library.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Oh, so you have a time machine or access to a version of Tim Sweeney that's not a compulsive liar?
No, I have access to Psyonix themselves, as on the very first post of the thread detailing Psyonix being acquired.

https://www.rocketleague.com/news/psyonix-is-joining-the-epic-family-/

Editor's Note: We wanted to clarify something for you after today's news: Rocket League is and remains available on Steam. Anyone who owns Rocket League through Steam can still play it and can look forward to continued support. Thanks!

So do you want to point me in the direction of where Tim Sweeney is pointing the gun to their head, or...? Cause clearly they can't be telling the truth!

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It seems Valve has implemented an effective anti review bombing strategy, which is my main takeaway here.

To me this proves Valve's system is arbitrary. This is a case where review bombing is completely appropiate.

Also shows Valve are too generous when it comes to Epic. If you're going to say that a company who is trying to hurt you business-wise and your customers isn't an on-topic review bomb, what is?

Personally it impresses me a lot about Valve that they threat Epic as all other companies involved in Stream.

And I'd disagree that even if review bombing was a legit strategy, review bombing when we don't even know if any changes happens to Rocket League on Stream is extremely premature.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
SHAME on gamers doing this. This is why we will never be taken seriously as a medium. They are DOZENS of ways to voice your discontent, but reviewbombing is a WEAK, CHEAP and STUPID. I have zero respect anybody doing that, you're just a coward ! I've seen some of the new "reviews" on steam, it looks they've been made by a 5 years old... This seems this industry wants to remain an eternal teen.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

I'm glad this opinion is becoming less and less popular the more it happens. This is ridiculous. Review system is arbitrary because people are review bombing due to something that doesn't pertain to the content of the game? What?

This is a ridiculous practice.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SHAME on gamers doing this. This is why we will never be taken seriously as a medium. They are DOZENS of ways to voice your discontent, but reviewbombing is a WEAK, CHEAP and STUPID. I have zero respect anybody doing that, you're just a coward ! I've seen some of the new "reviews" on steam, it looks they've been made by a 5 years old... This seems this industry wants to remain an eternal teen.

There is no direct avenue to give feedback to Epic. Because, you know, they don't have reviews or community forums.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad this opinion is becoming less and less popular the more it happens. This is ridiculous. Review system is arbitrary because people are review bombing due to something that doesn't pertain to the content of the game? What?

This is a ridiculous practice.

I'd argue that having the game and likely future content at some point yanked from Steam is content of the game.

The practice is ridiculous when it's over something like Jax getting rid of slavery, but this is a tool that should be reserved for stuff like that.

I don't really trust Valve to have proper judgement here anymore.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017

lmfao

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
It's cheap and petty, but it is obviously effective. Look at how it makes headlines everywhere. Look at how we have threads on this all the time now. I'm glad people are voicing their opinion.

Edited. No one saw that.

But yea people being people. They are upset. And rightly so imo. Steam is protecting themselves and the cycle will continue.

Last edited:

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
If you're going to say that a company who is trying to hurt you business-wise and your customers isn't an on-topic review bomb, what is?

If Valve was arbitrarily pulling features from games (like this review-bomb shield) because of them working or being involved with competitors, then they'd have crossed into a level of console fanboy horseshit that would make Apple blush.

Good on Valve for having this system in place. Review bombing is dumb nonsense. If anything, the practice just makes me not even bother looking at reviews. No way to tell if a low score is because of actual issues or if "gamers" just got mad at a company for something they didn't like without sifting through the worst written tripe I've ever seen.

Again, props to Valve here.

Status
Not open for further replies.