• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hypothetical question: If people review bombed MK11 due to the working conditions of the devs, would people be OK with that? Or would be a silly stupid thing to do?

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The reviews themselves remain visible in that section of the Steam listing, so you can still see entries like, for instance, the one from the player with nearly 1,900 hours of playtime who spends multiple paragraphs describing how great the game is before giving it a negative review because, "You sold your honor."

Psyonix just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about PC gaming culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on consoles where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over on PC, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the PC gaming public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Rocket League for either launcher, nor will they purchase any of Psyonix's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Psyonix has alienated an entire market with this move.

Psyonix, publicly apologize and cancel Rocket League for the Epic Games Store or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two words. Competition Law.

Steam is not a monopoly by law, just yet. A monopoly is judged on two factors - a dominant market presence, and using that presence to influence the market through exploitative tactics. Exploitative tactics are also well defined, among them are Exclusive Deals, and Predatory Pricing. And Steam already has the dominant market presence. Thus, the two things Epic Games is doing, Valve can not afford to do for fear of anti-trust lawsuits. If Valve attempts to shift the market conditions in either way, by forcing cheaper prices by default or providing a higher cut to developers by default, or striking exclusive deals and acquiring developers to secure exclusivity from other stores, competition law will see it as an exploitative tactic against their existing competitors, such as GOG.com, who rely on the existing pricepoints and revenue split to remain operational.

Essentially, Steam growing so large is forcing it to play nice with regards to anti-competitive practices, which Valve seems perfectly okay with for now, since it allows them to pour money into improving the featureset and expanding into hardware. There's no telling what will happen if Epic Games rises to be an equal of Steam, because once Valve is free of the binds of competitive law (by no longer being dominant), nothing but the nebulous idea that they have the customers' best interests in mind will be stopping them from doing the same anti-consumer shit that Epic is doing right now.
A monopoly is characterized by the absence of competition. Exclusives would not qualify unless there's something insidious about it, which has to be proven. Because many stores online and in the real world carry exclusive products. Predatory pricing is the illegal act of setting prices low with the intention to eliminate competition. Amazon is an excellent example of using predatory pricing to drive out brick and mortar businesses from an area.

Neither EGS or Steam would be considered monopolies, nor would they be considered to be doing monopolistic behavior.

Last edited:

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Psyonix just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about PC gaming culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on consoles where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over on PC, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the PC gaming public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Rocket League for either launcher, nor will they purchase any of Psyonix's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Psyonix has alienated an entire market with this move.

Psyonix, publicly apologize and cancel Rocket League for the Epic Games Store or you can kiss your business goodbye.
Meh, I always preferred the Navy SEAL pasta.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a pretty nonsensical argument, if it can even be called that. People voicing their displeasure is also "how business works". The fact that this is "how business works" is the reason why review bombs exist in the first place.

Not really. Review bombs happen because some can't keep their emotions at bay and they lash out and do whatever they can for attention. Like I said, there are discussion boards (much like this) that are far more relevant to the discussion. here are a few examples on the review page,

This game is great. This game WAS great, anyway. Maybe it still is? It's moving to Epic, so i'm never playing it again. Fkuc Epic and kfuc the developers of this game.

Honestly such a fun game from what was an independent developer but now I don't recommend you to get it as it is owned by Epic Games and epic is just such a bad money sucking company now (in my opinion).

Great game, ruined by Epic once again

Should we review bomb Ninja Theory and all of their games too or all of Obsidian's games now that Microsoft owns them? It's ridiculous and Rocket League is still on Steam, nothing yet has happened. It's another example of knee-jerk immaturity. Should we review bomb Firewatch now that Steam bought them? It is the exact same thing because right now Rocket League is still for sale on Steam and what are the chances the next game made by Campo Santo will be on GoG, Origin and the Epic Store?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd agree if the majority of protests I see online were actually about their business practices. The most common reasoning I see is that people don't want to use EGS and they only want Steam to exist.
staff says don't come into these threads just to post in bad faith.
somehow, they missed the OP's own posts
c'est la vie but I know who's getting my side-eye from now on

Last edited:

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Not really. Review bombs happen because some can't keep their emotions at bay and they lash out and do whatever they can for attention.

There are a lot of legit review bombs. Battlefront 2 one of them. Skyrim Paid mods, GTA5. Games where pub promised chinese localization, then never delivered (Square-Enix).
Same with Paradox regional pricing, that was then reversed.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not really. Review bombs happen because some can't keep their emotions at bay and they lash out and do whatever they can for attention. Like I said, there are discussion boards (much like this) that are far more relevant to the discussion. here are a few examples on the review page,

This game is great. This game WAS great, anyway. Maybe it still is? It's moving to Epic, so i'm never playing it again. Fkuc Epic and kfuc the developers of this game.

Honestly such a fun game from what was an independent developer but now I don't recommend you to get it as it is owned by Epic Games and epic is just such a bad money sucking company now (in my opinion).

Should we review bomb Ninja Theory and all of their games too or all of Obsidian's games now that Microsoft owns them? It's ridiculous and Rocket League is still on Steam, nothing yet has happened. It's another example of knee-jerk immaturity. Should we review bomb Firewatch now that Steam bought them? It is the exact same thing because right now Rocket League is still for sale on Steam and what are the chances the next game made by Campo Santo will be on GoG, Origin and the Epic Store?

Yes really. If a company's actions are permissible as long as they are legal, so should be a customer's. Last time I checked, review bombs weren't a criminal offense (even though I know that some people would love nothing more than that). It makes little sense to hold companies and customers to different standards. People love to apply these capitalist and objectivist principles to justify a company's actions but won't extend the same courtesy when private people do it. Why is it okay for a company to act out of self-interest but not for a customer?

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you use the most effective way to protest things people don't like. We currently have pupils protesting against governments for their inactivity regarding actions against climate change in Europe during the time they should be in class. Politicians demand them doing it outside of schooltime and they would take them seriously. Should the pupils comply to a time that is more easily ignored?
holy shit dude go fucking outside breath some fresh air go offline

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
The post is clearly discussing the techniques of protesting themselves and not equating the comparative seriousness of the issues involved. I don't know why people have trouble comprehending this obvious distinction.

I'm assuming that is what you're mocking; your post is very unclear and unhelpful.
You assume correct. I'm already not a fan of review bombing since it comes across as childish at best/borderline harassment at worst, but to compare it with actual protests for climate change *in any way* is so ridiculous that I have to laugh at it.

Hopefully that cleared things up for you.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

Lol, so you should wait until the game is no longer on sale to give it a negative review? What?

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Hypothetical question: If people review bombed MK11 due to the working conditions of the devs, would people be OK with that? Or would be a silly stupid thing to do?

Reviewbombing is not acceptable no matter the circumstance. You can vote with your wallet. You can express your discontent by writing a letter, an email or on social media. I mean there ar other ways.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Reviewbombing is not acceptable no matter the circumstance. You can vote with your wallet. You can express your discontent by writing a letter, an email or on social media. I mean there ar other ways.

Those other ways tend to go ignored. I can't think of a single letter writing campaign that's changed a publisher's mind about something, but feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If you want to raise awareness of the issue, voting with your wallet or an email does nothing for that and social media is not really effective. MK11 dev working issues has been a topic on Twitter yet Netherrealm has to make any kind of action.

We can argue about what makes gamers grind their gears when review bombing and how valid is their protest not the fact consumers can use reviews as a effective tool for protest.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
If they can ignore voting with your wallet I'm sure they could ignore 3k bad reviews that dont even end up counting on steam .

Either way I doubt Epic cares what a small group of people think when the games are still selling well for them .

So why do you care then? If no-one cares anyway, why all the hubbub.

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
Yes, link where they said this.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/1/1...cquisition-rocket-league-fortnite-unreal-deal

"As a result of the deal, Psyonix says it will have access to more resources to support Rocket League's competitive e-sports league and, by late 2019, will bring the game to Epic's PC storefront.
After that, it sounds like Rocket League will no longer be available on Valve's competing Steam store, though buyers of the Steam version can continue to play their existing copy of the game indefinitely and continue to receive support, which Variety is reporting includes downloadable content, patches, and all other future content. "

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Be shitty to your customers cause you are greedy, you get what you deserved. Enjoy your bag of cash.
Agreed.

Also, I'm fucking laughing at anyone that thinks this is pathetic.

Steam only lets paying customers leave reviews for games and software. Therefore, paying customers and people who actually own/play the game can voice whatever displeasure they damn well please.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Since they didn't switch it on for AC Unity, it's not "working". It's just a mechanism that they can turn on when they feel like it.

Unless the system was designed to be completely arbitrary, I suppose.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I'd agree if the majority of protests I see online were actually about their business practices. The most common reasoning I see is that people don't want to use EGS and they only want Steam to exist.

You can't actually be serious? Most posts I see that explain their reasoning mention that they use gog, Bnet, and Origin as well. Not using steam is not the overwhelming reason for negativity. I am so fucking tired of this reductive strawman. So fucking tired.

Yes, a lot of people are tired of yet another launcher, but that's not because it's "not steam.". Some people are a annoyed at an extra icon, but that's annoyance. The anger comes at how Epic is doing things as opposed to Origin and Bnet. People didn't like those at first but then Origin did things like letting you play before downloads finished and things, innovating as they went, and quickly catching up to steam in feature parity.

Annoyance comes from another launcher. The anger is directed at Epic themselves.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I mean it's things like this RL, Metro driving them to say this.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Same way you boycott literally anything else. Don't buy another copy of the game. Discourage other people from buying copies of the game.

That'd be like asking how do you boycott Disneyland if you've already been to Disneyland, or how do you boycott Chik-Fil-A if you've already eaten at Chik-Fil-A before.

If you're worried that that won't work because people are still going to buy Rocket League on EGS, guess what? That means all those new purchasers don't agree with your boycott.

My use of the term "vandalizing" does not preclude its function as protest.

Boycotts. Don't. Fucking. Work.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Can we have more honest titles, please? Like "Long time fans of game are upset that it has been bought out by a company that only cares to milk its customers and overwork its employees? "
And yeah, I get it. Reviewbombing is... weird. But it's certainly effective in regards to making people take notice.
Don't come into the thread being sensible pls. Reviewbombing can be stupid like when people review bombed Captain Marvel. But in an industry where consumers feel their voices aren't heard, this is one way that companies can't ignore.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
We have an entire history of successful boycotts to glean from and for contrast you choose two instances where review bombs debatable contributed to the din surrounding quasi successful developer protest? Okay. Real convincing there.

Most of the paradox stuff e.g. came after people already bought games. To have an effect on sales, most people first have to be "strong" enough to really boycott and it would take months/years to even see that effect.
When Skyrim added paid mods, it already sold over 10 million on Steam.

I do not know other boycotts when it comes to games that I would say were "succesful".

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The fact publishers hate review bombing tells me its a good thing.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Most of the paradox stuff e.g. came after people already bought games. To have an effect on sales, most people first have to be "strong" enough to really boycott and it would take months/years to even see that effect.
When Skyrim added paid mods, it already sold over 10 million on Steam.

I do not know other boycotts when it comes to games that I would say were "succesful".
That doesn't mean that the review bombing shares in the credit of developers acquiescing to public demand. There was a ton of other outcry, much more numerous and significantly more legitimate.

The fact publishers hate review bombing tells me its a good thing.
Publishers also hate when nobody buys their games. So should we stop buying all games? And is it good when bigoted misogynists review bomb Mortal Kombat for treating its female characters decently? Think before you speak.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Don't come into the thread being sensible pls. Reviewbombing can be stupid like when people review bombed Captain Marvel. But in an industry where consumers feel their voices aren't heard, this is one way that companies can't ignore.
1000% agree. I think it's a good idea that Steam has implemented something to help stop it for people looking to purchase products, but they haven't completely removed the ability to review bomb and companies are noticing, people are noticing and that's good.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I mean. It's a "fix". It's a fix that any human could have figured out and done too. They're just disabling reviews from this period of time? Sure. Ok. That's predictably effective. I wouldn't overhype the steam review bomb protection until we see less high profile and predictable campaigns thwarted. And then I hope everyone in the industry can work together to implement better standards across platforms.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
holy shit dude go fucking outside breath some fresh air go offline

I did write it during a break on a bench during a nice morning stroll taking in the scene, checking my phone and then seeing this thread. I then went on being almost six hours offline after that. Thank you for being concerned for my health.

You assume correct. I'm already not a fan of review bombing since it comes across as childish at best/borderline harassment at worst, but to compare it with actual protests for climate change *in any way* is so ridiculous that I have to laugh at it.

Hopefully that cleared things up for you.

It didn't clear things up for me and it would've been nice if you directed this post also at me instead of the garbage post you made initially. Especially as a mod.

Should I have compared it to people striking/protesting during worktime for higher wages/better work conditions and people wouldn't have put words in my mouth? Or would people still take the wrong conclusion of my post?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
We have an entire history of successful boycotts to glean from and for contrast you choose two instances where review bombs debatable contributed to the din surrounding quasi successful developer protest? Okay. Real convincing there.

Oh do we? You were just responded to with some examples that are real and are not the only two examples out there, but you dismiss them because...there's only two? Even though that's typically how examples are used? How many are enough for you? What arbitrary number? Meanwhile you just counter my claim with a baseless statement just insisting that there are solid examples of your side? And you act like you have the strong argument here?

What are your examples of it working? Can you give as many as you demand from the opposing side?

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great to see that the system seems to be working. Review Bombing is childish. Hopefully the dopes who participate don't find a way around the new shield.

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
Yes really. If a company's actions are permissible as long as they are legal, so should be a customer's. Last time I checked, review bombs weren't a criminal offense (even though I know that some people would love nothing more than that). It makes little sense to hold companies and customers to different standards. People love to apply these capitalist and objectivist principles to justify a company's actions but won't extend the same courtesy when private people do it. Why is it okay for a company to act out of self-interest but not for a customer?
Agreed.

On a semi related note, it's weird to me how some people on this forum can be so left wing on social issues but be so defensive of corporations. The way some people will defend companies, even if it's at the expense of consumer's rights, kinda reminds me of the whole "corporations are people" spiel in a way. And then there's the people that keeps repeating Sweeney's trickle down rhetorics...

It just... Weird. I think some people are far too emotionally involved with companies that don't really give a fuck about them.
I already addressed this in a message to you earlier in this thread:

Yeah, dozens of ways of protesting that the devs/publishers can completely ignore. The only reason people use review bombing is because it's the only form of negative feedback they care about because it's directly visible on the store page, thus possibly affecting their bottom line.

If you think they care that people on ERA are mad about this decision, you're deluding yourself.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

Has it crossed your mind that (in Steam's case) most of the people who reviewbomb a game are the fans of that game? That they don't want to boycott the game/dev/publisher because they like their output or past service?

The people who reviewbombed Paradox, were their most loyal fans and Paradox saw the error of their way. What would a Boycott have achieved? Especially in an Industry as random as the Gaming Industry. <1% of people who reviewbomb a game have more cloud as 10% of people who boycott a purchase. Because you can't really point at a game and say "so and so many users didn't buy the game. The higher ups would first point at wrong launch window, bad marketing, the weather, changing Audience, too low metacritic score and a million other excuses before they even think about users boycotting them.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
If they can ignore voting with your wallet I'm sure they could ignore 3k bad reviews that dont even end up counting on steam .

Either way I doubt Epic cares what a small group of people think when the games are still selling well for them .

It's not that they will simply ignore voting with your wallet. They won't actually get the message with that.

Only message voting with your wallet can give the publisher is "People are less interested in your videogame than you'd have expected", while in review bombing there's a specific message written on a specific time.

They're clearly not equivalent.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Oh do we? You were just responded to with some examples that are real and are not the only two examples out there, but you dismiss them because...there's only two? Even though that's typically how examples are used? How many are enough for you? What arbitrary number? Meanwhile you just counter my claim with a baseless statement just insisting that there are solid examples of your side? And you act like you have the strong argument here?

What are your examples of it working? Can you give as many as you demand from the opposing side?
I wasn't responded to with real examples of successful review bombing. I was responded to with successful examples of public outcry. If anything, those two examples make my case stronger. You can't blame the success of public outcry on the worst actors involved. That's not how it works.

I don't have to provide examples of successful boycotts because all you have to do is google "successful boycotts" to see literally hundreds of examples.
https://www.careeraddict.com/top-10-famous-boycotts
https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/ethicalcampaigns/boycotts/history-successful-boycotts
http://www.onlinebusinessdegree.org/2012/08/26/6-business-boycotts-that-actually-worked/
https://psmag.com/economics/how-to-use-boycotts-for-social-good

or just Wikipedia if you want a high level list of major boycotts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_boycotts

Has it crossed your mind that (in Steam's case) most of the people who reviewbomb a game are the fans of that game? That they don't want to boycott the game/dev/publisher because they like their output or past service?

The people who reviewbombed Paradox, were their most loyal fans and Paradox saw the error of their way. What would a Boycott have achieved? Especially in an Industry as random as the Gaming Industry. <1% of people who reviewbomb a game have more cloud as 10% of people who boycott a purchase. Because you can't really point at a game and say "so and so many users didn't buy the game. The higher ups would first point at wrong launch window, bad marketing, the weather, changing Audience, too low metacritic score and a million other excuses before they even think about users boycotting them.
I have considered that, yes. Never have I said that boycotts are the most effective form of public protest. The only reason I'm even being pigeonholed for that is because I compared the (successful) Riot employee walkout to a boycott of sorts. And even then I readily accept the differences. I'm all for various forms of public protest and outcry, and by no means do I limit that to boycotts. The only thing I'm taking issue with here is review bombing.

Status
Not open for further replies.