• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

As predicted, giving people unlimited free copies of a game where cheating was already huge issue just ruins game for everyone.

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
Giving people a game for free is not a bad thing, how it's being spun as such as really weird. If GTA (or any game) gets an influx of new players for any reason, the burden is on the developer to make sure their anti-cheat is up to task.

The game isn't "ruined for everyone" my friends and I enjoyed it thoroughly playing online together.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Thread Derailment
Giving people a game for free is not a bad thing, how it's being spun as such as really weird. If GTA (or any game) gets an influx of new players for any reason, the burden is on the developer to make sure their anti-cheat is up to task.

The game isn't "ruined for everyone" my friends and I enjoyed it thoroughly playing online together.

Yup. If Steam gave this game away, we wouldn't have this weird take. It would be directed to Rockstar and problems with the game.

I don't love EGS but I mean blaming them for making the game worse because of existing problems - come on...

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Yup. If Steam gave this game away, we wouldn't have this weird take. It would be directed to Rockstar and problems with the game.

I don't love EGS but I mean blaming them for making the game worse because of existing problems - come on...

I am blaming Rockstar/Take2, they are ones that decided to give game for free and do nothing to combat cheating. This has nothing to do which store is giving game for free.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019

This is pure bullshit. Every time a multiplayer game goes free to play on Steam, even for just a weekend, people respond in exactly the same way. Just because it wasn't a game that's as big as GTA 5 and you just missed it, that doesn't mean it didn't happen. EGS isn't getting victimized here, and I don't think anyone in this thread is blaming them.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
I am blaming Rockstar/Take2, they are ones that decided to give game for free and do nothing to combat cheating. This has nothing to do which store is giving game for free.

I mean they didn't give a shit about the people that payed 60 dollars, why would they give a shit about the people that paid 0.

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca

what the shit

who angled the story at EGS being the one at fault? the cheating would've popped off regardless of who was giving it away

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Does it affect you if you're in passive mode?

My experience years ago in GTA Online and recently in RDR2 Online is that Rockstar basically has the least effective anti-cheat in the history of modern gaming, and it's honestly amazing that there isn't non-stop coverage of how shitty it is. Passive mode wont stop people from spawning explosions on your body until you die, if nothing else, from falling to death.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I've created a Crew and Discord server for anyone that wants to play GTA Online.

I would like to create a safe space for new and old players of GTA Online as public lobbies can be troublesome due to griefers and hackers, hopefully we'll be able to create a nice environment for everyone to have a positive of the game!

Crew - Mecha Tech

Discord - A New Way to Chat with Friends & Communities

Discord is the easiest way to communicate over voice, video, and text. Chat, hang out, and stay close with your friends and communities.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this giveaway is also the reason I got a security alert on my dormant for months Epic account this morning. People looking for additional accounts to cheat from?

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this giveaway is also the reason I got a security alert on my dormant for months Epic account this morning. People looking for additional accounts to cheat from?

You'd think it would be better just hire some Asian kids to create accounts 24/7 for about cent per account rather than hack some accounts.

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
Yup, modders can completely crash your game at will. There was even a point where they could drain your bank account and send you to bad sport lobbies too. Online has been an absolute shitshow on PC since launch pretty much.

This is what I suspected. I'm glad it was given away for free, my friends and I can have fun in private lobbies.

Jsee80

Nov 18, 2017
Yeah how ever many new epic accounts you wanna make in a week/claim GTAV on. Super dumb.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
The reason cheating is so easy, is because the game using a P2P networking model.

Instead of doing a client-server model, if the server is running on other client machines, it is difficult to enforce authority in the game simulation and validate what other clients are doing as "correct".

Unfortunately rockstar is too poor to actually run game servers.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Not having to spend money on a burner license of a game increases amount of cheaters tremendously???? I'm absolutely shocked