• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I'm expecting MS's endgame will be a fully subscription based service, at least for their own 1st party games, with no options to buy games individually. Basically become what Office 365 is right now.

Why would they do that? It's just throwing away money. I see no business sense behind that.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
As always these articles ignore the massive differences between these services, Gamepass helps lock consumers into Microsoft's systems, if you do alot of gaming on xbox due to GP, you're likely to do many of your other gaming purchases there granting access to the 30% revenue stream, Netflix and Moviepass have nothing comparable since they are not a storefront for other content.

Not to mention gaming offers many additional revenue streams on these games via DLC and Microtransactions...sure they are all subscription services, but the business model is entirely different.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Maybe just enjoy it? Play your cheap games. Even if what it is today vanished into thin air tomorrow I still enjoyed it up until then. Can't imagine spending one iota of energy worrying about how a multi trillion dollar corporation is going to pay for this.

And gosh do the Netflix comparisons get tiresome. They still sell millions of games on their platform, including tons of their own games (especially when you factor in Steam).

Is there actual data on how many GP/GPU subs are paying full price for their subs, and didn't do one of those silly like £1 per year or whatever offers they had in like 2018/2019, or hell even the £1 upgrade from yearly XBLG deals?

Like the moment I have to actually start paying full price for Game Pass Ultimate, I'm ditching the service.

Of course not. But knowing people and how lazy and/or indifferent they tend to be, I'd say the overwhelming majority just input their credit card and forget about it like every other subscription they have. The average person isn't going to farm MS rewards points or buy 3 years of gold up front with the intention of converting it. If most people did do that, such loopholes would already be closed. But when only a fraction of your most "hardcore" users take advantage, they basically become the "game pass shill" meme and influence the overall opinion of the service.

hard-drive.net

Game Pass Subscriber Trying His Absolute Best Not to Sound Like Microsoft Shill

BLOOMSBURG, Pa. — Satisfied Game Pass subscriber Sergio DePalma is reportedly struggling not to sound like a total shill while discussing Microsoft’s service with friends.…

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Not entirely true, kinda sorta. There have been a handful of games that were exclusive to the Xbox app on PC for a time, like Tetris Effect Connected, The Touryst, and at least one other I don't recall off the top of my head. They were on other platforms, but on PC you could only get them on that app. And while they are available for purchase on there, nobody should ever buy games on the Xbox app on PC, unless they hate themselves and actively want to deal with the platforms issues.

You could buy them. They weren't exclusive to a subscription. Nothing is, there's no 'kinda sorta not true' about it.

If your problem is that you don't like the Xbox store full stop then that's a wider issue and not related to Xbox potentially raising the price of Game Pass.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
As long as Sony remains competitive and a danger to Xbox then they will pump money into gamepass as it is arguably the main thing that is pulling buyers away from Sony and towards MS. As soon as Sony starts competing with gamepass (if they ever do) then MS will have to pump money into the service to stop Sony gaining a foothold. I'm other words, there is not much incentive for MS to change things.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
It will rise eventually just like everything really. Except Arizona Iced Tea lol.

MS are still very much on growth mode for Gamepass though. Once they get a large enough player base, they will rise the price. By then though you're looking at even more games being available with the promise of even larger ones being available day 1. Call of Duty for instance. I think they're banking on subscribers thinking they were going to get CoD anyway and stay subbed even at 20 a month.

Madrugador

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It's obvious they will increase the price eventually but I don't think we are even close.

They literally decreased the price in my country just a few months ago.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
In terms of content it's literally going to get way, way better before it possibly starts to decline. We're still waiting for the vast bulk of MS' absurdly gigantic first party slate to release, and all of it is going to be on Game Pass day one. They've barely even started yet.

In terms of price, of course it'll rise, but only when they know they can get away with it because the content is compelling enough, so in a sense the value remains the same.

Personally, I live in the now, not the future. So I'm really not too worried where GP will be in 5 years.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I mean, sure. Everything raises in price. Bread isn't as good of a deal anymore. But it also about to get much better - we're still in the build up. Game Pass will be a full swing over the next 5-10 years.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
The key similarity between Netflix and Gamepass is the price of third-party content.

As more streaming video services got in the game, they bid up the price of third-party streaming video content, which meant that Netflix was no longer able to provide such a wide catalog at such a low price.

Once there are competitors to Gamepass, the price of licensing third-party games will go up, and Gamepass will either have to raise prices or provide a narrower catalog.

This is different than the argument that MS is losing money on Gamepass right now - it isn't. But its very success means competitors are going to get into the field and costs of business are going up.

FirstBlood

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Comparing a platform-owned subscription service to Moviepass is a pretty dumb comparison and shows a misunderstanding of what a strange, broken thing Moviepass was.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
The key similarity between Netflix and Gamepass is the price of third-party content.

As more streaming video services got in the game, they bid up the price of third-party streaming video content, which meant that Netflix was no longer able to provide such a wide catalog at such a low price.

Once there are competitors to Gamepass, the price of licensing third-party games will go up, and Gamepass will either have to raise prices or provide a narrower catalog.

This is different than the argument that MS is losing money on Gamepass right now - it isn't. But its very success means competitors are going to get into the field and costs of business are going up.
This is exactly why Microsoft has expanded its first party so greatly, Microsoft won't be as reliant on third party content as Netflix was.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
And moviepass too. Moviepass problem was a lack of money backing it.
Yup. I always wonder if people who compare these services 1:1 also question why there's not a a Netflix / Moviepass console, controller, full price titles, downloadable content, online services, etc.

Like Gamepass could simply not exist and Xbox would still be around. Take away movie & tv streaming and Netflix has nothing.

I mean why aren't we comparing Gamepass to Taco Bell's taco subscription if we're just comparing subscriptions arbitrarily?

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
At the moment I'm locked in for three years at about £3 a month. The price would need to go up massively before it's not fucking great value tbh.

Also comparing GP to Moviepass is nonsense when only one of those has one of the richest companies on the planet backing it. Even if GP wasn't profitable I'm sure Microsoft would continue to fund it until it was.

Khalid

Oct 25, 2017
Moviepass example is so bad... Microsoft are the one that are controlling the platform/service. Moviepass was trying to get in between the theaters/customer, no way that was going to work, the more people were using their service the less money they were making.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Aren't they working on a family plan? Seems to be the opposite of what the article suggests.

Oct 27, 2017
For sure but who knows when. They know what they're doing with the XBL gold upgrade too. Get ppl invested like Netflix did in 2010s so they never unsubscribe.

My guess is mid to late 2020s they raise prices and cut down on some features/bonuses. I know Microsoft doesn't need it to make a profit now but no company makes a product without a roadmap to major profits, even if that roadmap is 5-10 years

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
This seems like a real nothing of a feature article...
A whole lot of "here's what Gamepass is doing now" and then hypothesizing negative outcomes

Is it going to get a price raise? yeah, obviously, but this is just weird negative conjecture and apples to oranges comparisons for.... some reason?

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I mean, yeah! they will obviously raise prices in the future and just like other subscription services, if the value for how much ever you pay is value enough for you, then you'll keep subscribing and if not then you quit.

The Netflix comparison is not entirely accurate because Netflix doesn't allow you to purchase individual content off of their platform and the MoviePass comparison doesn't make much sense either considering MoviePass had no control over Theatre chains in order to stay sustainable or relevant long term.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Its a great service and a ridiculous deal if you play a ton of games, but I really don't have the time personally. On the months ive been subscribed I pretty much just play the MS exclusives and am done with anything I'm interested in within a few weeks and just unsubscribe. Feels like I'm stealing tbh, kind of insane I get to play all their games for $1. The amount of quality content they'd need to keep me subscribed year-round seems impossible. If they increase price to $20 or whatever they're going to need a new high profile game every month, and idk how realistic that is with game development costs & dev time required.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, of course the price is going to increase over time. Similar to Netflix. I think they have quite a bit of wiggle room upwards though before people start to question the value.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
You could buy them. They weren't exclusive to a subscription. Nothing is, there's no 'kinda sorta not true' about it.

If your problem is that you don't like the Xbox store full stop then that's a wider issue and not related to Xbox potentially raising the price of Game Pass.
I'd say these things are related, should they raise the price on a service that I'd argue is already not worth the money for the amount of technical headaches its given me, and still gives me today. PC Gamepass is tied to the Xbox app and the Windows Store, any issues they have are issues that Gamepass inextricably has, and unlike on console the version of any given game on Gamepass is fundamentally worse than the version that you would ideally want to buy, on Steam, GoG, or any other platform. All this works against PC Gamepass and makes the amount of retention the service would have should a price bump happen be much lower.

...I say all this as I realize they actually bumped up how many points you need to get PC Gamepass through their rewards program. Fuck.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Was MoviePass run by a platform holder with decades of business relationships? Was it run by a big studio producing its own films? No and no, unlike Game Pass.

MoviePass and Game Pass are/were on two totally different trajectories.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Why would they do that? It's just throwing away money. I see no business sense behind that.
I can see why they would want everyone in their subscription but they are far more open about meeting their customers where they are. That's kind of how MS operates right now. I see no reason to expect them make everything exclusive to Gamepass when they been moving to put their biggest titles on Steam. That makes no sense.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Value is dependent on the consumer. I pay full price for PC Game Pass, which comes out to $120 a year. So for the price of two $60 games per year I get access to hundreds of games, many I'd never play if they weren't on game pass.

If it goes to $20 a month, now that's the equivalent of 4 $60 games per year and it's still an insane deal. Sure a lot of people will drop the service if it increases that much, but I don't have as much time for gaming these days so just paying $20 a month to get access to a shitload of games is absolutely worth it. I'll also buy a few games not on Game Pass on deep discount and now you have a massive library of games for very little money.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
the moviepass comparison is hilarious. microsoft has been hemorrhaging money on xbox before, during, and after moviepass's entire existence.

the price will probably increase, like every other service. users will then reassess the value it provides.

also isn't pcgamer blatantly pro-egs, and puts out similar dumb articles about steam being doomed?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I feel like Ultimate is already at the upper limit of what I'm happy to pay, so when the price goes up I will likely cancel and just subscribe for 3 months a year instead of paying for it all year round

That is if it goes up too much, a few quid I will probably stomach

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Aren't they working on a family plan? Seems to be the opposite of what the article suggests.
I think the family plan will be a small price increase but but in the end it will make harder for people to cancel the subscription.

To give an example of what I mean. Let's say that they can a GPU family for $25 a month that allows for 5 amily members. You get 3 people on the plan that were previously paying $15 a month. Combined price drop of $20 a month. Now three people are tied to one subscription, the likelihood of one person leaving is much higher than all three. Now for the subscription to lapse it affects more people so it's less likely to lapse.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
The new PS+ is offering a similar value for money I think. I mean I do think Gamepass is better but PS++ much lower annual price without day one games vs Gamepass price with day one games….it's not like there's a gigantic gulf between them.

So if both Sony and MS have decided they think the model is profitable then I feel like that trumps PC Gamer.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They are still very much in the growth stage and wary of competition, it will go up in price but I'm not sure how soon or by how much because they want to stay ahead of others and outgrow everyone. It's not really what companies do.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
The writer completely undercuts the comparison to Netflix in the second to last paragraph:

The analyst who recently spoke about Game Pass at the Game Developers Conference predicted that subscription services will only account for 8.4% of the total games market by 2027. Right now, they're about 4%. So it's not like gaming's near future is going to mirror TV or music streaming or share identical pitfalls—I'm certainly not worried about Game Pass eradicating game ownership.

Netflix had *unprecedented* growth in their service and became one of the dominant forces in the way people watch tv and movies. In 2014, referenced in the article because a regular sub was only $8.99, Netflix had 54 million subs. By 2017 they were up to 117 million subs. Game Pass, while still growing, has definitely slowed down in that growth rate. Precisely because they're such a small portion of the entire gaming industry. People simply have far too many other ways that they play games.

Will we see price increases? Of course. Microsoft is in the business of making money. But thinking there's direct comparisons to the Netflix model requires you to ignore the huge differences in the way Microsoft has to build their subscriber base and respond to competition.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Meh, even if it goes to 20 per month, there is more than enough value for that in there. I already pay 15 per month just for WoW, having access to a few hundred games for such a stupidly low price (a burger + a beer in Sweden) is a no brainer deal.

Please no. $20 is a lot of money for us who are not living in US or EU.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
If the price gets to a point where it just makes more sense to buy games out right, then I'll be buying games outright. Until then, I will continue to enjoy the value.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I find it odd that there seems to be a constant push to convince people that none of this will last and prices will go up eventually, like we're in some bizarro world where prices don't change for anything (despite game prices, and everything else clearly increasing). I'm signed up for the next 3 years while it's still cheap enough to justify it, if the price hits a point where I no longer think it's worth it I'll just stop subscribing.

moeman

Oct 25, 2017
As always these articles ignore the massive differences between these services, Gamepass helps lock consumers into Microsoft's systems, if you do alot of gaming on xbox due to GP, you're likely to do many of your other gaming purchases there granting access to the 30% revenue stream, Netflix and Moviepass have nothing comparable since they are not a storefront for other content.

Not to mention gaming offers many additional revenue streams on these games via DLC and Microtransactions...sure they are all subscription services, but the business model is entirely different.

Your last paragraph is exactly why I don't see gamepass changing significantly for some time. The service is a Trojan bourse to get people into the MS ecosystem. As long as they grow gamepass, they will get a 30% cut of all MTX purchased on Xboxes and windows store from those same people. That to them would be worth far more than forcing an extra $10/ month and lose subscribers.

In the future that's a fine line they'll have to walk, but I don't see them rocking the boat for the foreseeable future.