• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PCEra, have Game Pass affected your purchasing decision?

• Yes, I'm not buying games that are available on Game Pass

Votes: 287 40.4%
  • No, I'm not a fan of renting and will continue buying games

Votes: 148 20.8%
  • A mix of both, I'll rent this and buy that

Votes: 275 38.7%

• Total voters

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
I played Gears 5 on GP because 1) Steam price is extortionate in the UK, 2) playing Gears on a non-Xbox/Microsoft platform feels wrong and 3) I was super broke at the time, but generally I just try games out on Game Pass and buy whatever I like enough on Steam. Did it with Ape Out and The Messenger recently, decided to purchase both after like ten minutes of playtime.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
If I buy a game Day 1, it's usually because I want to support the devs, not necessarily because I want to play it right away.

So I don't see GamePass being a game-changer for me. My preferred store is GOG (for the whole DRM-free ownership aspect), and if a game I like is available as part of a bundle as a Steam code, I'm more likely to check if it's part of GOG's catalogue and wishlist it there than to buy a dirt cheap Steam key.

I can see myself using GamePass to play timed exclusives early (like Phoenix Point or Outer Worlds), or to demo some indie games to decide if I want to buy them elsewhere. But for triple/double A games? I doubt I'll affect my buying patterns much, I'm too entrenched in other ecosystems by now.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
It probably wouldn't make me stop using steam. But ill definitely try more games I normally wouldn't buy, because of it

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Any games that I plan on playing only once or games I'm unsure about I'll probably play through Game Pass, but anything I want to own long term will still be bought on Steam (or PS5). I certainly won't buy any games through Microsoft's store if I don't have to, but I will happily use Game Pass.

It's the Epic Games Store model, but instead of paying off publishers to avoid Steam, they're offering a competitive reason to use their product. It's refreshing, honestly.

So not the EGS model at all then...

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Not me; the idea of renting games doesn't entice me. Also, the fact that games disappear from Game Pass is a deal breaker for me. Not having so much time as when I was a teenager, it means I must handle my playing time carefully.
Pretty much and I've said something similar before. GamePass is incredible value, I can't deny that at all, I'd be crazy to do so, but it's not a product aimed at me. If I were a parent or a kid with looots of time, I'd definitely get it.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Earlier this year, I signed up for three years of Game Pass Ultimate, based almost entirely on Phil Spencer's promise of supporting Win32 games on Windows 10. I regret that decision immensely.

As with basically all of Spencer's previous promises, he didn't follow through. Win32 apps downloaded from the Microsoft Store (including all games) still behave the same as UWP, with locked executables, encrypted data and no real exclusive fullscreen mode.

Meanwhile, the same games available on Steam or the Epic Games Store have no such restrictions, and their files and folders can be accessed without the need to jump through several hoops, if users need to fix/modify them.

Halo:MCC/Reach will be the turning point, for me. If the Steam version turns out to run and perform better (as is expected, honestly), I'll do everything in my power to cancel my GP membership, and just purchase the games that I want directly from other platforms.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Not me; the idea of renting games doesn't entice me. Also, the fact that games disappear from Game Pass is a deal breaker for me. Not having so much time as when I was a teenager, it means I must handle my playing time carefully.

it also means the likelyhood of you ever replaying games is low, so why would you prefer buying instead of "renting"?

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rent day 1, buy on sale later the rest (not necessarily Steam) : Forza Horizon 4 a great example. Finished Outer Worlds on Game Pass and I'll pick up the seasons pass/definitive version on Steam later

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft knows that it would've taken too much money and time probably to fail to put a dent in Steam with a direct competitor. It's just coincidence that Epic is proving that at the moment. The only way to build a Steam competitor is to build something that disrupts Steam's business.

Is EGS actually flopping?

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
It's the Epic Games Store model, but instead of paying off publishers to avoid Steam, they're offering a competitive reason to use their product. It's refreshing, honestly.
Exactly this. And people have zero problem of having to use another launcher despite what "it's just another launcher" crowd believe.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
It seems the PC version of game pass is missing a lot of the console games, so until they're both on par i'm hesitant to dive in.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
So far yes as I didn't buy Recore after playing it.

I'll probably still buy The Outer Worlds and Metro Exodus though once they come to Steam

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
If a game shows up on GamePass that I want to own, I play it on GamePass until I see a deep discount on it for Steam or a physical XBox copy. In the case of Shenmue I+II, I'd thought about buying it, waited, saw it show up on GamePass, didn't get around to playing it, then it showed up in the Humble Monthly Bundle.

If it's not a game I'm dying to play at launch for fear of missing out or getting spoiled (something like Death Stranding), it makes so much sense to wait nowadays. Hell, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order was on sale for $36 at Target on Sunday and that game hasn't even come out yet.

Tell me more about this please.
How big a discount is it and is it only applicable if the game is installed or you have launched it once? Or just for everybody on the service?

It's a discount for everyone who is on the service, and the discount varies.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
I have music and TV subscription, but that's because it's something I can consume within two hours (movies) or while commuting (music). I love playing long games, so rental-subscription isn't attractive for me... yet. I do started humble monthly last month to lock in humble choice, but that's because I 'own' the games indefinitely, so there's no pressure to play as many games as quickly as possible to justify my subscription.

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
Is there any way to find out which games are scheduled to get removed from the service, and when?

I'm guessing it's a bit early for that to start happening, but still...

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
For the most part....yeah. If something is on GamePass I am much less likely to purchase on Steam. However....I've gotta get MCC on Steam. The community will probably be more robust and I want to give them my money...again. Reach holds a spot deep in my heart and I wouldn't feel right not paying.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Were any of the game pass announcements today for PC?

They all seemed to be focused on console ones.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
I'm going to jump into the 3 months ultimate thing. GP on PC for me, and Console for my daughter as a test run.
Looking to play Gears 5, OW, Metro Exodus, Shadow of War, Reach, and a few others during this time.

If both me and daughter think it's worth it, then Ill keep Ultimate, otherwise maybe either GP PC or console only.

Games which I would like to own at some point, I'll buy for my collection when really cheap.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Really? The big ones from today were the yakuza games and final fantasy games, both of which I assumed were xbox only for games pass. is that not the case?

it is not

unknown.png

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I'm actually very happy about not owning games I have no intention of replaying. Most recently is Outer Worlds where I got to play at launch for a really low outlay whereas previously I would wait six months or more and pay $20-30 for it. Happy to go former for games I don't care too much about, but for my favorite games(i.e. Yakuza) I don't mind paying to "own" them.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's their "end goal" no, I think Microsoft basically shifted from a "how can we extract as much money from existing customers as possible, while also getting new customers from outside gaming into the fold" to a "lets try to get a huge amount of people who play games into our ecosystem and give them reasons to get comfy and stay" strategy. That's the best way I can put it.

They went from "gaming has peaked, lets bring other markets into the Xbox brand" to "gaming is for everyone, lets try to build the market so even more people game and choose us".

It's kinda wholesome, because it feels like Microsoft believes in video games again. It's the same "feeling" I felt when Sony said they would double down on games at the PS4 reveal event, except it felt particularly amazing at that event because everyone was calling console gaming a sinking ship, Sony were like no, we will help it grow again.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
No hasn't effected mine though I think it and PSNow are good deals and the future.

I'm a "hardcore" gamer (for lack of better words) There are very few games that I want to play that I don't buy near release and move on to the next new release once finished.

I have completed most of the big and critically acclaimed titles once they reach PSNow and Game Pasd

Kalem

May 23, 2019
You can always buy as usual, except with a discount if you decide to buy it from Gamepass

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Poll needs a couple of extra options, like "No, because Gamepass for PC is not available in my country", and "No, because I'm not running Windows 10". And then the "allow multiple answers" checkbox, because I'd pick both of those.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A mix of both. Steam has MS Store beat with controller support, including controllers that have gyro controls.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Game Pass PC and EGS free games have definitely put a slow down on my Steam purchases. I went through my wishlist the other day and deleted a surprising number of games that I got elsewhere.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Gamepass for me is the best thing to happen in this industry for a long time. I hope Microsoft continue to invest in it like they have been.

Happy to never buy a game outright again just like I was happy not to buy dvd boxsets anymore or albums on CD.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
More of a mix.

Played Outerworlds on GamePass and really glad about that because it didn't live up to my expectations and saved me some money...to purchase MCC today on Steam. Judging by its status at the top of Steam's best selling list it seems like a lot of PC players were waiting for MCC as judged by its top 2 spot on the User Wishlist.

store.steampowered.com

Steam Search

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Gamepass for me is the best thing to happen in this industry for a long time. I hope Microsoft continue to invest in it like they have been.

Happy to never buy a game outright again just like I was happy not to buy dvd boxsets anymore or albums on CD.

Good point. I dont think I've ever seen anyone on a tv show or music thread advocating against Netflix or Spotify because they prefer to buy things heh.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I've said it before, but I'm avoiding Game Pass because I don't want Microsoft to start dictating what I'm playing.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
This is absolutely the goal. Microsoft would love everyone to be paying them a monthly amount regardless of platform. Their hardware is just part of a much broader picture.

I assume the plan is pretty much to just continue trying to make this thing incredibly attractive to all gamers - it ends up being a win for all.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i need to pay for something to commit to it. game pass like free games just makes me not care as much about the games as those ive actually paid for.

This crops up every now and again, and I find it ludicrous.

Just send me $50 any time you play a game if you really want to feel like you're invested...

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Good point. I dont think I've ever seen anyone on a tv show or music thread advocating against Netflix or Spotify because they prefer to buy things heh.
Forgive me I actually don't know if this is sarcastic or not! Spent too long on the internet I guess.

As a former compulsive dvd and cd collector I sure as hell don't miss it! Embraced all digital as soon as I could. Hate the clutter of stuff gathering dust.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I feel like a lot of PC Gamers are sleeping on Origins Access Basic, especially if saving money is a goal.

ÂŁ20/year. That's it. Currently around 250 games and they add more every month. Big EA releases arrive on the service around 6 months after they launch, but for those you can't wait for you get discount on buying them for being a member. It's such good value for money it even outshines Game Pass (which is still awesome, I'm not denying that!)

Nov 2, 2017
As much as I love GP (I'm subbed until 2021 Nov.) if I want to play a game at launch, I will buy that game at launch. I consider Game Pass as free XGS exclusive + surprise games machine. I can't plan my gaming life around the possibility of a game I want to play dropping on Game Pass after its launch.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
This crops up every now and again, and I find it ludicrous.

Just send me $50 any time you play a game if you really want to feel like you're invested...
whats so ridiculous about tryin to have areason to stick with something when there's tons of games out their vying for my attention? when you have the entire catalog avaible to you your more likely to jump around more often and not commit to anything. i actually want to finish games, not taste test.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's amazing value but I generally prefer to just buy my games and always have access to them. I also like the Steam ecosystem a lot so I usually stick to that.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
Game Pass& EA Premier has stopped me be buying mid tier and indie games in order to get some sort of value to the service apart from the few day one exclusives, unless they are truly spectacular, It won't stop be buying stuff like Cyberpunk or Vampire: Bloodlines on release.

I share my accounts with my Nephew as I don't feel as bad paying for subscription, also I very rarely replay games so ownership isn't a big deal these days.

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
i need to pay for something to commit to it. game pass like free games just makes me not care as much about the games as those ive actually paid for.

That sound stupid but it's how I feel as well.
It's like when I was pirating games for the PSP back in the day. Even if some of those were great games I rarely finished them.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
A mix of both. Steam has MS Store beat with controller support, including controllers that have gyro controls.
You can actually add Game Pass (UWP) games to Steam and still enjoy the Steam API controller support.

More of a mix.

Played Outerworlds on GamePass and really glad about that because it didn't live up to my expectations and saved me some money...to purchase MCC today on Steam. Judging by its status at the top of Steam's best selling list it seems like a lot of PC players were waiting for MCC as judged by its top 2 spot on the User Wishlist.

store.steampowered.com

Steam Search

Yeah, if The Outer Worlds weren't in Game Pass and available on Steam since day 1, I would've bought it and get disappointed. I'm really struggling to finish the game and I was so hyped for it pre-release. The glowing reviews didn't help either, lots of cons not mentioned at all.