• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
I have the ROG PG27U that has a native resolution of 3840x2160 with a 2080ti.

Playing games in this resolution is obviously demanding and I'm not getting the frames I'd like when I do so - especially in games like CoD Warzone, etc.

So, I'd like to lower my resolution, but when lowering it to something like 1920x1080, things are often blurry and not as clear/crisp as the native resolution.

How do I find an optimal resolution, or, is it an OK compromise to have games run in a different resolution than desktop (will I see a noticable improvement in frames when doing so)? Add to the complexity that I often like to alt-tab and browse on my other monitor, so keeping both resolutions the same is close to ideal.

Any thoughts/instructions on how best to proceed?

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
playing out of the native res will always look somewhat blurry on a fixed-pixel display.

I would suggest turning down graphics settings or playing windowed rather than sacrificing resolution if you care about the blurriness.

If you are already alt-tabbing a lot just play windowed, honestly.

Oct 28, 2017
Play windowed mode? Should help with tabbing out, clarity of image (wont be stretched to fit the monitor), and more.

RGB

Nov 13, 2017
Running at native res but using the game's resolution scale is a great option if it's available. You get native res UI elements and you can experiment with what percentage scale gives you the performance you want.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
1. Play windowed.
or
2. Play at EXACTLY 1920x1080 and enable integer scaling in the Nvidia control panel. 1080p multiplies perfectly into 2160p. It won't look as detailed as native but it won't be as messy or soft looking as other non-native resolutions like 1440p.
or
3. If a game supports it, lower the in-game resolution scaling option while leaving your output at 2160p. At least that way you retain a native res UI.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
So when you use a smaller resolution than what your display natively has, normally there's an upscaling that's really bad, that's why it's blurry.
Look up integer scaling. Because 1080p is half in horizontal and vertical, you can just use 4 pixels as one, and while you don't get the benefit of 4k, it shouldn't be blurry.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Maybe try a resolution that keeps the same pixel density but letterboxes? Basically, run a 21:9 aspect ratio with 1:1 scaling.

OP
OP
tripleg

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
If you are already alt-tabbing a lot just play windowed, honestly.

I assume games that are demanding would rather want to be played in Fullscreen/dedicated in terms of maximizing FPS.

Given the monitor + 2080ti I think it's quite silly that one has to play a game like Warzone in low settiings to hit ~120hz, but maybe that's where we are with that particular game.

OP
OP
tripleg

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
So when you use a smaller resolution than what your display natively has, normally there's an upscaling that's really bad, that's why it's blurry.
Look up integer scaling. Because 1080p is half in horizontal and vertical, you can just use 4 pixels as one, and while you don't get the benefit of 4k, it shouldn't be blurry.

Looking up integer scaling now - any particular resource / thing I should hit?

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I assume games that are demanding would rather want to be played in Fullscreen/dedicated in terms of maximizing FPS.

Given the monitor + 2080ti I think it's quite silly that one has to play a game like Warzone in low settiings to hit ~120hz, but maybe that's where we are with that particular game.
It doesn't make a big enough difference to matter, especially if you are already having issues hitting framerates in exclusive. Decreasing the resolution will make up more performance gains than you would lose playing windowed.