• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KennyL

Oct 27, 2017
Impossible if you count price. Difficult even if you don't consider price. No matter how much you pay, alot of component connectors feel like janky 2 cents plastic junk. Haven't advance for like 40yrs if ever.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of PC gamers get the idea at one time to go for a mini ATX build, but you lose the advantage of going crazy with overclocks. It's better to make a giant tower & stream it to your living room if space is an issue.
given the kind of hardware that's popular on steam surveys, SFF cases akin to the Series X case would make sense

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I can see the clones coming in now. Even though Xbox technically ripped off PC's form factor...so I guess rejuvenated efficient PC towers I guess.

how did the rip it off when this thread is literally people not being able to find the exact same thing on pc?

i do get it sort of looks like a pc tower though, of course.

OP
OP
j^aws

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Not sure if it's been mentioned but the HG osmi is exactly the same.
Okay wow, this looks like the closest match to the XSX, even down to the top air vents:
KkUkW5V.png

7FrBd9x.png

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The closest thing is still a hadron and that thing is like 10 years old now. It even has a slot load drive spot. I had one. They may have revised and now the slot load is gone, but it had it.

110-MA-1001-K1_XL_4.jpg

OP
OP
j^aws

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
The closest thing is still a hadron and that thing is like 10 years old now. It even has a slot load drive spot. I had one. They may have revised and now the slot load is gone, but it had it.

110-MA-1001-K1_XL_4.jpg
For me, the design aesthetics of the XSX tower is its squarish base and top vents. There are many SFF cases, but they tend to have oblong bases that extend into a tower. Even a cube shape misses the mark for me.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me, the design aesthetics of the XSX tower is its squarish base and top vents. There are many SFF cases, but they tend to have oblong bases that extend into a tower. Even a cube shape misses the mark for me.

there are top vents on the hadron too. You can put a 240 rad in there. It's nice.

OP
OP
j^aws

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK

Checking the video out revealed that the case also has a slot for an optical drive by the top vents, which is rather neat and discreet! But the build cost - north of 1300 USD!
there are top vents on the hadron too. You can put a 240 rad in there. It's nice.
I really like the idea of larger rads, and it does look nice. This Silverstone Lucid LD01 is also tempting me:
ak8dqYr.jpg

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I regret not getting an ITX motherboard.

I went mATX and a mATX case, a low profile heatsink, and a smaller sized graphics card. It ended up still being pretty large, and there's a ton of wasted space inside.
I never overclock so heats never an issue, and I never plan to use 2 graphics cards (or a disc drive or multiple internal HDDs) so I don't need so much space.

Next time I upgrade I'm definitely going to go as small as I can.
I'm curious how long my 1070 and i5 8400 will last me into the next generation. My PCs been great this whole generation. Not caring about 4K has definitely helped and not liking max settings on a lot of games is helpful for framerate too.

Ive probably got 3 more years before I even start thinking about it.

Last edited:

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From 2016.

You're shit out of luck though because it never made it to production. Cryorig tend to make good products but they need to get their shit together.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Okay wow, this looks like the closest match to the XSX, even down to the top air vents:
KkUkW5V.png

7FrBd9x.png
Huh, I was going to post and say that the exact form factor would be difficult, because pc components are all designed to exhaust heat in specific ways. In any small case getting some kind of decent airflow is key and having one top mounted case fan doesn't really seem like it would achieve that. E.g. other small cases have perforated sides to let the graphics card exhaust straight out, rather than up through the case.

Going to check out the video in a bit, I'm really intrigued!

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like quite a few posters are missing the point. There are some amazing, very small, cases, but none are quite the same size and shape with a top vent only.

Lots of lovely cases to browse but they don't really answer the question.

The video build was interesting, I think ddr4 ram was the only big difference to the series X spec?

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018

That thing is gonna run way hotter and louder than an Xbox, also why using an Nvidia card when they will use AMD, we can try to replicate the Xbox with PC components but it's not that easy since they are gonna use custom hardware based on Laptops parts rather than desktop

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That thing is gonna run way hotter and louder than an Xbox, also why using an Nvidia card when they will use AMD, we can try to replicate the Xbox with PC components but it's not that easy since they are gonna use custom hardware based on Laptops parts rather than desktop
Because there aren't any amd cards with raytracing

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
Why do people care how hot things run? As long as it doesn't hit the Tjunction max or Tcase max I cant see why I should care whether it is operating at 20degrees or 90degrees. The same heat will be coming out of the computer/console regardless.

Oct 25, 2017
LZ7: mini gpu, smaller cpu cooler

LZ7 XTD: full sized gpu, bigger cpu cooler

Pricey and kind of brand new, not a whole lot of these out there. High end CPU aircooling options seem like a non starter. If all you want is a Series X style form factor and RTX ?070/?080 Ti tier graphics capability, these will do.

Why do people care how hot things run? As long as it doesn't hit the Tjunction max or Tcase max I cant see why I should care whether it is operating at 20degrees or 90degrees. The same heat will be coming out of the computer/console regardless.
Ryzen 3000 boost clocks are very temperature sensitive, in the same way modern gpus are. The hotter your components run, the more cooling they need, and the louder your fans are. Depending on your cpu, you've got to play a difficult game with cooling.

For example, for a hypothetical build I'm thinking about making one day:
The Ncase M1 V6 can't fit a NH-U12a or D15 variant. The biggest it fits is a NH-C14s, which gets eh marks from Noctua for 3900x/3950x boost clock cooling, most likely on a test bench with the stock fans. However, the case supports two fans mounted on the side, and the V6 psu mounting changes allow for the full stock 140mm fan to fit in the low profile config without user fixes. That's 3 fans, now add 2 more for the gpu (or remove the bottom portion of the case entirely, new to the V6) and the exhaust in the back. That's a lot more airflow than the typical ITX case. Add to that, the v6 also supports weird boards like the mini DTX Crosshair VIII Impact, AND the stock NH-C14s at the same time. The PSU can be flipped flat for more top and bottom fan access, this is a pic from a v5 before the fix.

A Positive/negative pressure airflow study in an Ncase M1 v5. Shit's complicated, depending on what you want to do.

Last edited:

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
It's not a vertical case like the Series X, but have a look at the Dan A4. I think it's actually slightly smaller then the Series X but still supports a full size GPU, and has a very nice minimalist design:

a4sfx_3.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I have the Dan A4 v2 and it's probably my favorite case of all time. A pleasure to work in, extremely nice looking and fits my 9900K/32GB/2080 build perfectly!

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I have the Dan A4 v2 and it's probably my favorite case of all time. A pleasure to work in, extremely nice looking and fits my 9900K/32GB/2080 build perfectly!

The the closest in size yet, still marginally larger though and no room for a disc drive. It's gonna be really interesting to see how they have crammed it all into the X and kept it "silent"

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The the closest in size yet, still marginally larger though and no room for a disc drive. It's gonna be really interesting to see how they have crammed it all into the X and kept it "silent"

Who wants an internal disc drive on a PC these days anyway. Even massive cases like the InWin 909 don't bother with a slot for one anymore.

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
Ryzen 3000 boost clocks are very temperature sensitive, in the same way modern gpus are. The hotter your components run, the more cooling they need, and the louder your fans are. Depending on your cpu, you've got to play a difficult game with cooling.

The only benchmarks I can find https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3492-ryzen-cpu-thermals-matter-coolers-and-cases show a 6.4% drop in performance in Ryzen 3000 (-80degrees vs 84 degrees) and a 4% drop for (55 vs 84 degrees). Whilst that's more than I expected (due to Intel not using the same behaviour) I'd rather have a quieter machine that ran hotter, especially if I am probably already compromising performance by using a smaller case.

OP
OP
j^aws

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
If I didn't want ITX, then what is a good mATX case for watercooling? By choosing a larger case, I would consider SLI/ Crossfire with dual waterblocks. I can't seem to find dual water-cooled GPUs in mATX cases. This Thermaltake Level 20VT looks interesting: