• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
From here.

Pretty damn excited right now. I finally have a machine that can run this game on max settings with great performance. Just ran the game into up until the first little fight at the start and... the game looks so incredible.

I played it before on ps4, got all the way to the mission toward the end where you rally your allies... and I burnt out. The combat was a slog, and the performance on base ps4 a nightmare. The game was so wonderful in almost every other respect that it pulled me through until then but it just became too much.

Now, I get to try again. Performance issues are gone, but perhaps the combat will still be a chore...

So, I'm looking at mods. Particularly combat enhancements/changes, but also anything that makes the game better. And as that is subjective, if you do recommend me something can you sell me on it a little? Tell me why YOU find it essential in context of the vanilla game.

Thanks!

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would personally consider TW3 HD Reworked Project (textures) and FriendlyHUD to both be essential, but they won't do anything about the combat. There are some overhaul mods like Ghost Mode and Enhanced Edition that modify the combat but also make the game significantly more difficult (although you can tweak a lot of parameters yourself), especially the latter mod, so I'm not sure if you'd necessarily be interested.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I forget the name but there's an excellent mod that removes the minimal and adds compass icons to the over world a-la Far Cry style. That's an excellent way to boost immersion and limit the somewhat clunky hud.

EDIT: Good call DaciaJC, it's FriendlyHUD.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Will take a look at these right now. Thank you.

I forget the name but there's an excellent mod that removes the minimal and adds compass icons to the over world a-la Far Cry style. That's an excellent way to boost immersion and limit the somewhat clunky hud.

EDIT: Good call DaciaJC, it's FriendlyHUD.

Nice, thanks a lot!

I would personally consider TW3 HD Reworked Project (textures) and FriendlyHUD to both be essential, but they won't do anything about the combat. There are some overhaul mods like Ghost Mode and Enhanced Edition that modify the combat but also make the game significantly more difficult (although you can tweak a lot of parameters yourself), especially the latter mod, so I'm not sure if you'd necessarily be interested.

Already queued those first two!

As for GM and EE I'm going to play it on the hardest setting so this might be worth looking into, thanks a lot
The skateboarding mod.

Lol... considering....

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Okay this is a super interesting thread for me too astro - thanks for making it. I've tried playing replaying this game about 4-5 times and can't decide between PC or PS4. I played Witcher 1 and 2 on PC and I've played Witcher 3 on Xbox and PS4 so PC makes sense. But I have issues with some of the interface and accessibility options in Witcher 3, I wish the game didn't have so much "forced" downtime at times - but I am someone who likes steamrolling games so maybe that's just me. So I'll be watching this thread closely to see what people recommend.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Swear to god I was thinking of making such a thread a few hours ago cause I'm planning on revisiting the game on PC soon. Thank you for making this haha. And thanks to people who contributed cool mods.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Okay this is a super interesting thread for me too astro - thanks for making it. I've tried playing replaying this game about 4-5 times and can't decide between PC or PS4. I played Witcher 1 and 2 on PC and I've played Witcher 3 on Xbox and PS4 so PC makes sense. But I have issues with some of the interface and accessibility options in Witcher 3, I wish the game didn't have so much "forced" downtime at times - but I am someone who likes steamrolling games so maybe that's just me. So I'll be watching this thread closely to see what people recommend.
Swear to god I was thinking of making such a thread a few hours ago cause I'm planning on revisiting the game on PC soon. Thank you for making this haha. And thanks to people who contributed cool mods.

Ha, you're both welcome!

Going to be quite the journey! :)

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I hated that the loot window would pop up when collecting herbs, so I downloaded AutoLoot Herbs and tweaked it a bit so I'd still have to press a button, and there'd still be a notification, but I wouldn't need to "confirm" the action. Unfortunately, I can't remember what exactly I edited to achieve that.

Edit: I think I just set AL_EnableRadiusLoot in AutoLootUserConfig.ws to false and NotificationShouldDisplay in AutoLootBase.ws to true.

Last edited:

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome thread idea OP! I'm planning on playing through the trilogy soon too, definitely watching this thread!

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Ok... so the screen has quite a lot of stutter when I pan the camera.

Is this a widespread issue that has a known fix? A specific graphics setting (everything is maxed with a few off for taste)?

Going to work through the settings now before I install mods and try to figure out a fix.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's a mod I absolutely love if you want to install it and want to be fully immersed. I can't recall the name but it's so you can get a cloak with hood similar to the 'killing monsters' ad from e3.

It looks super great, you can put the hood on and off, you can take it off fully with a few key presses and it's so fucking cool to have rain and you put it on with the hood on to just walk around like an utter badass.

Besides that, the obvious shit like better textures and models if your computer can handle it.

Also personally I got one of the mods that made it where experience wasn't ever harmed if you are past the recommended level. You won't necessarily be super overpowered just a bit above recommended levels once you have a bunch of quests.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Right, it was FPS limited set to 60 causing the camera pan stutter Switched it to unlimited and it's almost gone.

Knowing it was this that was causing it, are their any settings/tweaks I can use to get rid of it entirely?

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I use just a couple. More Quick Slots and Quick Inventory - this gives you double the number of quick slots for consumables, potions and bombs, so you don't have to constantly enter the inventory to swap them around. I like the quick inventory component too, it's a lot faster to access than the standard one, and you can even apply oils from the quick menu.

No Witcher Sense Zoom FX plus toggle and range - there's already an option that turns off some of the effects, but this goes even further by removing everything else as well as the forced zoom, plus it increases the range. You spend so much time using Witcher senses this makes it considerably less annoying to use.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be watching this thread as I'm in the exact same boat OP, except for the fact that I've already beaten and adored the game. Recently got a 144 hz g sync monitor and upgraded to an i7 9700k and RTX 2080, and I wanna see how much more I enjoy the game now, particularly as the load times shouldn't be a problem anymore as I've replaced all mechanical platters with solid state storage now. I've already downloaded the HD project, thinking about the friendly HUD next, and yeah, some gameplay tweaks would be welcome.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That skateboarding is clearly what has been missing from my previous play through. I'll take skating and Witcher 3 Gwent, cut the rest lol.

Skate from card game to vendor to card game while enjoying the scenery.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
There's one which lets you fast travel without going to a sign post. I liked it much better on my second play through.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Friendly Hud is number 1
I have no HUD all the time and then markers appear when I go into Witcher sense and also removed the blur from Witcher sense and zoom.
The combat stuff fades in when engaged in combat.
It's so good.

Lots of other cool mods but that's the most important.

cluto

Oct 25, 2017
Super Turbo Lighting Mod

HG8dOUo.jpg

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say, both the auto herb picker and Witcher Mode edit make the game so much better to play. WM especially, without the zoom in and haze it's peaceful but slightly eerie... it has actual atmosphere.

Are you playing the GOG version? If so, disable ingame overlay. It's been known to cause this stuttering issue.
Thanks, did that a while ago and it helped!

It loks kind of nice, but I don't like how it looks in my game, it makes night look far too bright (and it's already too light in this game).

UNBM3eX.jpg

I think I prefer the default lighting (on the left).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any recommended mod that re-scales swords and armor loot and/or makes them upgradable so that they are actually suitable alternatives to Witcher gear?

I just finished B&W after 175 hours and that was probably my biggest issue with the game

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
The only mod I'm using is the Super Turbo Lighting Mod.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/657

To me it looks just right, how the game should look, because when I first loaded up the game, I wasn't sure if the mod was active, until I disabled it. Vanilla looks too saturated colour wise.

I think they're trying to replicate the look of the game when it was first shown ( then got heavily downgraded)

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The only mod I'm using is the Super Turbo Lighting Mod.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/657

To me it looks just right, how the game should look, because when I first loaded up the game, I wasn't sure if the mod was active, until I disabled it. Vanilla looks too saturated colour wise.

I think they're trying to replicate the look of the game when it was first shown ( then got heavily downgraded)

It's just too bright, nighttime looks like actual daylight with this mod.

I understand what it's trying to do and it does look amazing at times, I just don't think it works overall.

Honestly, a "real nighttime" mod would be my top pick...~

EDIT: oh my! - https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/994/

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I went to check mods for this same question that my friend asked me. The 16th mod of all time popular mod was Yennefer BIG BREAST AND ASS and I lost my shit. I should have expected it but I still laughed like crazy.

This thread reminded me of it and am losing it once again.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I went to check mods for this same question that my friend asked me. The 16th mod of all time popular mod was Yennefer BIG BREAST AND ASS and I lost my shit. I should have expected it but I still laughed like crazy.

This thread reminded me of it and am losing it once again.

You can make people naked so if you've never seen naked people before it's a very good way to experience that.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
What does that have to do with getting nekkid?

I mean, I'll check it out, but still...
Nothing, I just wanted to actually contribute to your thread instead of laughing at people making nude mods and typing breast instead of breasts in all caps rofl. Have a great new year friendo!

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Long shot kind of post, but I wonder if you can help.

Trying to get Real Time Gamepad to work with Friendly hud, but there are two sets of files I can't merge.

I've found this post: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?showtopic=6161968/#entry55301763

I can follow it to a point. When each failure to merge happens it opens a window where you can work out the conflict, and I can follow the example on the post to a point...

It has three windows: A, B, C. The poster explains to turn off all the top row "blue" buttons, select C, then press the down arrow. They describe a set of upwards blue arrows with a red arrow, I see this appear after that last step...

But when they list "Red>B>Red>B>Red>C>(Repeat Red>C till end)>save>close." I have no idea how to follow...

In the thread linked above, is there a specific part I should concentrate on that solves this? Is there anything you (or anyone else reading) can offer to guide me a little here?

I'd love to get these two mods working at the very least!

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
First thing I got was the unlimited/high inventory limit you won't ever reach and then I got stuff so weapons and armor don't degrade.

I already played vanilla having to manage both of those, wasn't about to do it again.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Bought it for ps4 and didn't enjoy it. Loved it on PC thanks to the following mods:

gore and dismemberment mod
No weight limit
No fall damage
lore friendly eyes
no weapon and armor degradation
fast travel from everywhere
health regeneration outside of combat on high difficulty

And a ton of .ini changes for shadow distance etc. See the nvidia guide, it's great.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really recommend Ghost Mode. Made by a dev and it really makes the game more fun to replay. There's a lot more focus on doing witcher stuff, rather than just speccing everything on light attacks or one magic tree. There's armor penetration values now, so heavy attacks hit through armor more, while light attacks do barely anything towards a buffed up armored human soldier, so utilizing both is far more important. Attacks are also tied to stamina, but nothing extreme. This can all be altered ofc and disabled if you just want the behind the curtain rebalancing and stuff.

I really don't recommend Enhanced Edition however, it tries to make the combat "dark souls" and fails spectacularly.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Man after seeing that Ronin Geralt statue and concept art, I really want a Samurai armor pack.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, the tricky script merge.

I'd ask the W3Redux author for help since he still actively posts. If you still have trouble with it, I'm sure one of us could give you the merged file.

Oh, do you happen to have a merged file of your mods? I'd gladly take that as I want to use most of them.

I'll look into contacting them, thanks for the heads up!