• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate that the media and Biden aren't shying away from this at all. It's the morally correct thing to take these allegations seriously and gather as much information as possible.

Juna

Nov 26, 2017
Don't read the comments. Neither on the article or on her twitter. It's brigades by a horde of right wingers trying to use it as an attack on me too.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
and it's corroborated that at the least Joe Biden harassed her from friends, family, and neighbors at the time.

This is false. What her friends, family and neighbor can corroborate is that Reade told them about harassment she faced. They do not claim to have witnessed any harassment first hand, so it is incorrect to claim that they corroborate that "Joe Biden harassed her".

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
They covered this story a couple of years ago when it was first brought up. It went away because of the same conclusions that are being arrived at once again. Even folks like Hannity defended Biden before Fox moved on altogether from this story.

And really Reade's own comments hold just as much or more weight than what these staffers are saying:

They're two different stories. One of them is multiple women, including Reade, accusing him of not respecting their personal space, which he addressed last year.

This is far more serious, and I'm not sure what you mean by "they're arriving at the same conclusions", Biden apologised for his actions to the earlier accusers.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
We definitely have more than that here though as has been discussed

The article points out key physical details that could put Reade's credibility into question on various other details

The way he ran his office, the roles he delegated, the description of the incident site.

Lots of things have changed our perspective of this
I certainly agree with that assessment, but I was just speaking in generals.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is precisely why I've always found the slogan/hashtag "Believe Women" to be an issue, as far as advocacy. The real message should be to simply take these allegations seriously - make women feel comfortable coming forward to the authorities AT THE TIME, process things like rape kits promptly instead of having shameful backlogs, investigate the case seriously, and don't fall into reprehensible, victim-blaming frameworks of thinking.

None of that requires you to "believe" or disbelieve ANYTHING. It just requires you to treat rape allegations with the seriousness they deserve.

Instead you've got people like Kirsten Gillibrand looking like gigantic hypocrites in the wake of this Tara Reade story.
This is why I've always thought it would have been better as "Listen to Women." It's similar to "Black Lives Matter." The people who truly know what it stands for understand it translates to "Black Lives ALSO Matter," but bad actors want you to believe it means "Black Lives Matter MORE."
Unfortunately, the right tends to weaponize just about everything.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I've always thought it would have been better as "Listen to Women." It's similar to "Black Lives Matter." The people who truly know what it stands for understand it translates to "Black Lives ALSO Matter," but bad actors want you to believe it means "Black Lives Matter MORE."
Unfortunately, the right tends to weaponize just about everything.

Nothing we can do there

They would have weaponized it anyways even if you changed the wording

Personal recollections from working with Biden's staff

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
And yet at the same time, Biden was far from an expert at maintaining such an image or threads about Biden wouldn't have been peppered with Gifs of him acting overly familiar. In fact, Biden's lack of instincts for physical boundaries was one of the main points people here made in favor of Reade's story being credible.
So, I haven't really talked about this before, but it seems relevant to the discussion here.

Please note that I fully acknowledge that Biden's over-physicality can be very inappropriate, and has certainly made some people feel uncomfortable. Even I have had physical contact with the man that made me uncomfortable. It's not "OK", and his resistance to adjust his behavior on this front for a long time (he seems to be doing at least somewhat better now) is not a a good look.

But, all that said, I think there is some context that those from the outside that see examples of this on video or wherever might not be aware of, and which somewhat explains why most of those who interact with Biden in person don't view these actions as sexual in nature.
  • Biden is old. Very old, and as part of that he has old-fashioned instincts on things like personal space that many people of his generation continue to hold. And not only is he old, Biden was elected to the US Senate before he turned 30. That means, for a very large part of his career, the political term "kissing babies" was not simply an expression. It was actually a pretty core element of American politics, to the point where it was considered an honor by many parents for politicians to physically kiss babies brought to them, and not just babies. This to some extent included children, teenagers, and sometimes even adults. It wasn't "weird" in American politics for this to happen, even if the kids weren't into it. And sometimes this is still asked for today, although on a much, much reduced scale, and even then is rarely granted by most politicians.
  • Secondly, Biden was deeply, deeply affected by the death of his first wife and daughter. I have personally heard him talk a lot about how that experience changed him, and how one of his biggest takeaways was the need to consistently, and often physically, show people that they are appreciated, cared about, and loved. That's one of the core reason he traveled from Delaware to DC almost every day as a Senator, he feels it's important to physically be a presence in the lives of the people he cares about. And so he hugs and sometimes kisses (on the cheek, forehead, or head) both men and women around him as a sign of what is overwhelmingly considered among his staff and acquaintances to be platonic but genuine and deep affection.
  • Lastly, a lot of the people he works with and has met throughout his entire career and to this day give him incredibly positive feedback when he engages with them physically. "Biden hugs" have, in the vast majority of my personal experience and accounts given to me, been considered deeply comforting, and even something to look forward to. They do, very often, make people feel better, make people feel like they have done a good job, are valued, and are cared about. He has received far, far more enthusiastic responses to this practice in his life than negative ones.
Again, I don't meant this to downplay the basic inappropriateness of some of his actions, or minimize the impact he has had on those who have been understandably made uncomfortable or worse by this aspect of his character. I am simply trying to provide better context for how Biden is understood by those around him, and why people from the outside looking in might not be able to understand why their impression of what he does does not often line up with most firsthand accounts.

Last edited:

Dozer

May 30, 2019
Orlando, FL
Well OP probably should have picked those passages out as quotes because the ones they chose are hilariously useless.
This is some weak-ass shit. If you don't want to read the article, fine. Move on from the thread. Don't turn it around on the OP for failing to quote the right part because you are lazy, and still expect to be a full participant in the discussion.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
So, I haven't really talked about this before, but it seems relevant to the discussion here.

Please note that I fully acknowledge that Biden's over-physicality can be very inappropriate, and has certainly made some people feel uncomfortable. Even I have had physical contact with the man that made me uncomfortable. It's not "OK", and his resistance to adjust his behavior on this front for a long time (he seems to be doing at least somewhat better now) is not a a good look.

But, all that said, I think there is some context that those from the outside that see examples of this on video wherever might not be aware of, and which somewhat explains why most of those who interact with Biden in person don't view these actions as sexual in nature.

• Biden is old. And not only is he old, Biden was elected to the US Senate before he turned 30. That means, for a very large part of his career, the political term "kissing babies" was not simply an expression. It was actually a pretty core element of American politics, to the point where it was considered an honor by many parents for politicians to physically kiss babies brought to them, and not just babies. This to some extent included children, teenagers, and sometimes even adults. It wasn't "weird" in American politics for this to happen, even if the kids weren't into it. And sometimes this is still asked for today, although on a much, much less reduced scale, and even then is rarely granted by most politicians.
  • Secondly, Biden was deeply, deeply affected by the death of his first wife. I have have personally heard him talk a lot about how that experience changed him, and how one of his biggest takeaways was the need to consistently, and often physically, show people that they are appreciated, cared about, and loved. That's one of the core reason he traveled from Delaware to DC almost every day as a Senator, he feels it's important to physically be a presence in the lives of the people he cares about. And so he hugs and sometimes kisses (on the cheek, forehead, or head) both men and women around him as a sign of what is overwhelmingly considered among his staff and acquaintances to be platonic but genuine and deep affection.
  • Lastly, a lot of the people he works with and has met throughout his entire career and to this day give him incredibly positive feedback when he engages with them physically. "Biden hugs" have, in the vast majority of my personal experience and accounts given to me, been considered deeply comforting. They do, very often, make people feel better, make people feel like they have done a good job, are valued, and are cared about. He has received far, far more enthusiastic responses to this practice in his life than negative ones.
Again, I don't meant this to downplay the basic inappropriateness of some of his actions, or minimize the impact he has had on those who have been understandably made uncomfortable or worse by this aspect of his character. I am simply trying to provide better context for how Biden is understood by those around him, and why people from the outside looking in might not be able to understand why their impression of what he does does not often line up with most firsthand accounts.

Thank you for posting this, this is some great context that many people are likely not aware of.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

But, all that said, I think there is some context that those from the outside that see examples of this on video wherever might not be aware of, and which somewhat explains why most of those who interact with Biden in person don't view these actions as sexual in nature.

• Biden is old. And not only is he old, Biden was elected to the US Senate before he turned 30. That means, for a very large part of his career, the political term "kissing babies" was not simply an expression. It was actually a pretty core element of American politics, to the point where it was considered an honor by many parents for politicians to physically kiss babies brought to them, and not just babies. This to some extent included children, teenagers, and sometimes even adults. It wasn't "weird" in American politics for this to happen, even if the kids weren't into it. And sometimes this is still asked for today, although on a much, much less reduced scale, and even then is rarely granted by most politicians.
  • Secondly, Biden was deeply, deeply affected by the death of his first wife. I have have personally heard him talk a lot about how that experience changed him, and how one of his biggest takeaways was the need to consistently, and often physically, show people that they are appreciated, cared about, and loved. That's one of the core reason he traveled from Delaware to DC almost every day as a Senator, he feels it's important to physically be a presence in the lives of the people he cares about. And so he hugs and sometimes kisses (on the cheek, forehead, or head) both men and women around him as a sign of what is overwhelmingly considered among his staff and acquaintances to be platonic but genuine and deep affection.
  • Lastly, a lot of the people he works with and has met throughout his entire career and to this day give him incredibly positive feedback when he engages with them physically. "Biden hugs" have, in the vast majority of my personal experience and accounts given to me, been considered deeply comforting, and even something to look forward to. They do, very often, make people feel better, make people feel like they have done a good job, are valued, and are cared about. He has received far, far more enthusiastic responses to this practice in his life than negative ones.

Its actually incredible we have an actual Biden Staffer on this site to provide more corroboration of his character

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco

Great post. You've put into words thoughts that have crossed my mind as well. I can't even imagine the toll losing both your wife and daughter would have on someone.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Its actually incredible we have an actual Biden Staffer on this site to provide more corroboration of his character

you're saying this in a thread about an article that has 74 staffers providing corroboration of his character

i agree with the early posters who said this isn't really going to change anyones mind on either side, which is pretty much going to be true of everything going forward unless something explosive comes out. but its good that more and more information is being made available so people can make an informed decision

Oct 26, 2017

Also this is some nice context to have, I was unaware he lost his first wife

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is false. What her friends, family and neighbor can corroborate is that Reade told them about harassment she faced. They do not claim to have witnessed any harassment first hand, so it is incorrect to claim that they corroborate that "Joe Biden harassed her".

Yes, they didn't witness the harassment firsthand, Reade told them about it close to the time of the alleged incident. That, plus her mother's phone call to CNN, are definitely corroborating evidence.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
you're saying this in a thread about an article that has 74 staffers providing corroboration of his character

i agree with the early posters who said this isn't really going to change anyones mind on either side, which is pretty much going to be true of everything going forward unless something explosive comes out. but its good that more and more information is being made available so people can make an informed decision

This article and the Vox one swayed me. I've been everywhere from "he probably did it" to "not likely."

Yes, people who have a flag planted aren't going to move them. People who said "let's investigate" in good faith will weigh what they've heard.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which is why all these respected outlets covering this was ASKED for

Like didnt we have threads about people lamenting that none of the media was covering this?

Maybe its because... to do PROPER journalistic works takes a lot of time and effort as was pointed out by some of those outlets already when they published (reminds me of the Vox article)

It's really more that her story has been pretty well vetted and all there is her allegation, which suddenly elevated from harassment to assault, and her brother and some friends confirming that she told them about harassment (and it's murky here too exactly what she told the other witnesses, her brother's story changed too). And those she told it wasn't clear she was specifically talking about Biden, just his office. Outlets did do vetting and came up with they aren't going to run a story based on the above.

All the other vetting is that Biden's chief of staff and all of her colleagues do not have any recollection of this, and that her claims about being asked to serve drinks have been shot down as very unlikely, and now further vetting by pbs we now have that her direct colleague reported her for poor performance and that's why she was let go.

So yeah it seems like when the vetting doesn't go the way people want (apparently further confirmation of a a sexual assault occuring), folks don't like that.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

• Biden is old. Very old, and as part of that he has old-fashioned instincts on things like personal space that many people of his generation continue to hold. And not only is he old, Biden was elected to the US Senate before he turned 30. That means, for a very large part of his career, the political term "kissing babies" was not simply an expression. It was actually a pretty core element of American politics, to the point where it was considered an honor by many parents for politicians to physically kiss babies brought to them, and not just babies. This to some extent included children, teenagers, and sometimes even adults. It wasn't "weird" in American politics for this to happen, even if the kids weren't into it. And sometimes this is still asked for today, although on a much, much less reduced scale, and even then is rarely granted by most politicians.
  • Secondly, Biden was deeply, deeply affected by the death of his first wife and daughter. I have have personally heard him talk a lot about how that experience changed him, and how one of his biggest takeaways was the need to consistently, and often physically, show people that they are appreciated, cared about, and loved. That's one of the core reason he traveled from Delaware to DC almost every day as a Senator, he feels it's important to physically be a presence in the lives of the people he cares about. And so he hugs and sometimes kisses (on the cheek, forehead, or head) both men and women around him as a sign of what is overwhelmingly considered among his staff and acquaintances to be platonic but genuine and deep affection.

Wow - amazing post.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Yes, they didn't witness the harassment firsthand, Reade told them about it close to the time of the alleged incident. That, plus her mother's phone call to CNN, are definitely corroborating evidence.
Can you send me a link to the corroborating witnesses that were told the same time as it happened? I've seen this posted a lot but the only one I could see (and it's actually really hard to work out from the different news reports) was the anomynous friend one which was the same one that changed their story from saying initially it wasn't sexual in the Vox piece, all the others appear to be later, the earliest of someone who was willing to go on record was the neighbour were they were told in 1996. It is possible I'm wrong in that, like I said there's been so many different articles posted at different times, I'm kinda struggling to keep a timeline

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
There does exist corroboration for the idea she was fired for performance reasons.

That's pretty solid evidence. I'm surprised Tara submitted it herself as it falls directly in line with the PBS reporting which I wouldn't have doubted anyways but still.

Of course this only addresses the small detail of her being fired as opposed to resigning. She said she was fired in retaliation to sexual harrassment correct?

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019

• Biden is old. Very old, and as part of that he has old-fashioned instincts on things like personal space that many people of his generation continue to hold. And not only is he old, Biden was elected to the US Senate before he turned 30. That means, for a very large part of his career, the political term "kissing babies" was not simply an expression. It was actually a pretty core element of American politics, to the point where it was considered an honor by many parents for politicians to physically kiss babies brought to them, and not just babies. This to some extent included children, teenagers, and sometimes even adults. It wasn't "weird" in American politics for this to happen, even if the kids weren't into it. And sometimes this is still asked for today, although on a much, much less reduced scale, and even then is rarely granted by most politicians.
  • Secondly, Biden was deeply, deeply affected by the death of his first wife and daughter. I have have personally heard him talk a lot about how that experience changed him, and how one of his biggest takeaways was the need to consistently, and often physically, show people that they are appreciated, cared about, and loved. That's one of the core reason he traveled from Delaware to DC almost every day as a Senator, he feels it's important to physically be a presence in the lives of the people he cares about. And so he hugs and sometimes kisses (on the cheek, forehead, or head) both men and women around him as a sign of what is overwhelmingly considered among his staff and acquaintances to be platonic but genuine and deep affection.

Thank you for posting this. It reaffirms a lot of opinions I'd formed about Biden over the years from following his career and personal life.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
It was an inaccurate read of the comment though, as his staff made it pretty blatantly clear that Biden's office was widely considered and seen as the safe one for women and women felt safe from harassment there.
"He was always massaging somebody's shoulders. But never anything more than that. There was no vibe about him."

However, staffers agree it was not in Biden's nature to gauge social signals about whether someone wanted to be hugged or touched. Many said they learned that he might do so without warning

It's certainly a "vibe" I'm getting that maybe it was a safe place, in comparison to others. That some people just had to put up with his penchant for being a little too intimate.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty solid evidence. I'm surprised Tara submitted it herself as it falls directly in line with the PBS reporting which I wouldn't have doubted anyways but still.

Of course this only addresses the small detail of her being fired as opposed to resigning. She said she was fired in retaliation to sexual harrassment correct?

according to the divorce proceedings, the story to her husband was she resigned with an agreement with the CoS which I think she has also put the narrative that she resigned.

Plover

Oct 27, 2017
That was an excellent read, exactly the kind of thorough journalism I've been hoping for.

As rare as false accusations are, women are people subject to the same flaws or misguidance (or whatever else it is in this case) as anyone else. I say that as a woman myself.

Thank you for sharing this insight. I've long suspected your second point might be the case, which is why it's upsetting to see people jump to conclusions about him being perverted. Unfortunately it does make him an easy target for smears in this age. But I'm really glad he's generally kind behind the scenes.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
"He was always massaging somebody's shoulders. But never anything more than that. There was no vibe about him."

However, staffers agree it was not in Biden's nature to gauge social signals about whether someone wanted to be hugged or touched. Many said they learned that he might do so without warning

It's certainly a "vibe" I'm getting that maybe it was a safe place, in comparison to others. That some people just had to put up with his penchant for being a little too intimate.
I think first and second hand accounts speak more to the situation than your vibes and ambiguous implications. We've got an article right here that gives their opinions clearly. Of course it's possible someone felt that way, perhaps they didn't. Ultimately, we only have their statements to go on though.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
All of this continues to point to there likely being nothing there. I'm really not sure what else the news media can do except keep asking the same thing over and over to Biden himself, who has already denied it. Hopefully more journalistic investigations are ongoing.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I wasnt under the impression the check fraud allegations were unrelated to her firing from Biden's staff

The interviewed her direct supervisor who said it had to do with her handling of letters from correspondents or something?
Right. The only thing looking likely is she was fired for performance reasons. Other types of impropriety may have happened but there's not multiple pieces of evidence offering that narrative.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wasnt under the impression the check fraud allegations were unrelated to her firing from Biden's staff

The interviewed her direct supervisor who said it had to do with her handling of letters from correspondents or something?

Yeah, it's probably a combination of both. Check fraud and working in the Senate as a public servant don't really mix. So a history of poor performance to the point of officially docking her pay, and then check fraud, yeah they aren't going to keep you around.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you send me a link to the corroborating witnesses that were told the same time as it happened? I've seen this posted a lot but the only one I could see (and it's actually really hard to work out from the different news reports) was the anomynous friend one which was the same one that changed their story from saying initially it wasn't sexual in the Vox piece, all the others appear to be later, the earliest of someone who was willing to go on record was the neighbour were they were told in 1996. It is possible I'm wrong in that, like I said there's been so many different articles posted at different times, I'm kinda struggling to keep a timeline

Here:

theintercept.com

New Evidence Supports Credibility of Tara Reade’s Allegation Against Biden

Reade’s mother called into the Larry King Live show in 1993 and discussed her daughter’s time with a “prominent senator.”

www.businessinsider.com

A former neighbor of Joe Biden's accuser Tara Reade has come forward to corroborate her sexual-assault account, saying Reade discussed the allegations in detail in the mid-1990s

Former Biden staffer Tara Reade says the Democratic presidential nominee sexually assaulted her in 1993. Reade's former neighbor tells Insider that Reade confided in her about the allegations at the time.

Something untoward definitely happened in Joe Biden's Senate office to Tara Reade.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Here:

theintercept.com

New Evidence Supports Credibility of Tara Reade’s Allegation Against Biden

Reade’s mother called into the Larry King Live show in 1993 and discussed her daughter’s time with a “prominent senator.”

www.businessinsider.com

A former neighbor of Joe Biden's accuser Tara Reade has come forward to corroborate her sexual-assault account, saying Reade discussed the allegations in detail in the mid-1990s

Former Biden staffer Tara Reade says the Democratic presidential nominee sexually assaulted her in 1993. Reade's former neighbor tells Insider that Reade confided in her about the allegations at the time.

Something untoward definitely happened in Joe Biden's Senate office to Tara Reade.

I would note that the witness did not recall anything until Reade reached out to her. While I agree that isn't dispositive, its not exactly a contemporaneous confirmation.