• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Get this shit all the time as a professional photographer. Sickening.

Other photographers who do work for free/dirt cheap aren't helping though. They are just as guilty.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
I've been doing just about everything myself on my youtube channel for about 7 years now, though at 75k subs I wouldn't exactly call it "successful"

hell, I paid for the fonts I use, and you know most people are just stealing those

PAY PEOPLE FOR WORK

(insert joke about how youtube isn't a "real job" here)

Iron Mike

Sep 28, 2019
I'm not doubting that there are real examples of people being offered to work for exposure, but it really does seem like such an easy way to get your name out there as an artist by creating something like this and having it go viral.

Oct 25, 2017
There's a generalization of this which people still adhere to which is putting your content out for free and then begging people to pay for it. Patreon, humble bundle etc. This is devaluing the work of whole industries and is why people think it's fine pay little to nothing for labour (if X can make it free why can't you?). Have some self-respect and ask people to pay money.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah its a thing, particularly for people starting out. Luckily Ive never really had to deal with this shit.

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
I post my art on Instagram and I actually got this in my dms this past year

NBjIGRT.png

And that's not even the only one.

I've had dozens of people reach out to me for design work that instantly dip out and don't respond as soon as I tell them my prices :|

Iron Mike

Sep 28, 2019
I think game makers should do the same. Just kidding. No pay, no work. Exposure is worthless.

What I meant was creating fictitious screenshots of these kind of ridiculous offers. If I was an unscrupulous enterprising artist, I'd notice that so many of these kind of screenshots go viral on Reddit and create my own.

1. Set up two email addresses
2. Use one to make a comically derisory offer to the other one and screenshot it
3. Post it on /r/choosybeggars
4. It goes viral, you're on the main page of Reddit and your work gets exposure

I'm not saying there aren't genuine offers like this that deserve to be ridiculed, or saying that this one is fake, but I imagine people have already clocked onto and are exploiting the above method for the huge exposure it brings.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Art is being so devalued it's ridiculous . Streaming, Gamepass etc people pay next to nothing and expect this stuff to be made for free or dirt cheap.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Wild ride...you assume that the person is saying they'll pay $50 and even that is appalling...but...no...

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I get a lot of offers like these for photography which I usually don't even respond to. But when I do...I ofter my exposure package.

In exchange for exposure, you will get either an on location or studio shoot for up to 0 hours, with 0 makeup artist and 0 clothing changes. You will get an email with 0 photos in order to choose up to 0 photos for retouch and delivery in high-res.

They usually get the message when you answer like that.

Oct 25, 2017
What I meant was creating fictitious screenshots of these kind of ridiculous offers. If I was an unscrupulous enterprising artist, I'd notice that so many of these kind of screenshots go viral on Reddit and create my own.

2. Use one to make a comically derisory offer to the other one and screenshot it

I'm not saying there aren't genuine offers like this that deserve to be ridiculed, or saying that this one is fake, but I imagine people have already clocked onto and are exploiting the above method for the huge exposure it brings.

Offers like this happen in the real world all the damn time

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017

no shade, but i don't think this particular artist is trying to gain massive mainstream appeal for his work by pretending to have run across an asshole on the internet...

Oct 25, 2017
My buddy works on photography. He's worked for numerous paying clients, but for whatever reason some cosplay model contacted him and was like, "Hey I'm going to be in your area and I'd love to work with you. If you're interested I can send you my rates!"

My guy was baffled. Who contacts a person and tells them how much they'll charge to allow them to do work??

They were already selling photos to fans...but also expected to also get the photographer to pay them for doing work for them.

That kinda sounds like a different thing? Like she's offering herself for modeling services while in the city if the photographer had any need for one. Seems likes some missed wires. Probably just trying to maximize her earnings on a work trip while already doing the cosplay thing.

Oct 25, 2017
I speak for just about everyone in every tertiary industry where these people think they run your lively hood:

Fuck "influencers." You're an influencer? You pay double.

This photographer on reddit explained his "anti influencers booking https://reddit.com/r/photography/comments/eggym9/_/fc6u95q/?context=1

Basically he charges them normal rate but if the influencer actually brings in business for the photographer they'll pay them back X percent

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire

Cheers that was great :D

Not quite the same as the thread premise but this one cracked me up back in the day.

26757959_2048405988773340_5245939859312338530_o.jpg

Bloke said no obviously.

Dear Social Influencer (I know your name but apparently it's not important to use names),

Thank you for your email looking for free accommodation in return for exposure. It takes a lot of balls to send an email like that, if not much self-respect and dignity.

If I let you stay here in return for a feature in a video, who is going to pay the staff who look after you? Who is going to pay the housekeepers who clean your room?

The waiters who serve you breakfast? The receptionist who checks you in? Who is going to pay for the light and heat you use during your stay?

He asked: "Maybe I should tell my staff they will be featured in your video in lieu of receiving payment for work carried out while you're in residence?"

To which she lost her shit and posted a cry video, slamming the restaurant and the owner and attempted to set the 'blogger community' on him leaving negative reviews and whiney Twitter posts

His response.

I'd just like to say a huge thanks to all the bloggers for their hard work over the past two days.

The publicity you've given us is absolutely priceless. But don't worry bloggers, your work won't going unnoticed. It will be featured in my book 'How To Get Worldwide Publicity Without Spending A Cent'.

I'm even thinking of dedicating a full chapter to you guys, including screenshots of some of your most entertaining public tweets, Facebook posts and negative reviews. It will be some chapter!

Keep the hateful comments and reviews coming and, you never know, it could be you who is featured in the book.

Thank you bloggers, I really appreciate this.

"PS. You're still barred."

Article with some of her supporter's tweets.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
That kinda sounds like a different thing? Like she's offering herself for modeling services while in the city if the photographer had any need for one. Seems likes some missed wires. Probably just trying to maximize her earnings on a work trip while already doing the cosplay thing.

If you're looking for a photographer, you advertise that in public. You don't message a person who didn't even say they were looking for models.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Here's one I got (read from bottom up lol):
ELtgXnTXUAAUcbf.jpg:large

They then blocked me bc.. lol???

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this before this is so dumb it has to be satire of idiots trying to get people to work for exposure right? ...right? Cause goddamn pay me $50 is another level.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oh, boy.

As someone who has done freelance design & storyboards across a multitude of different clients, I had my fair share of "I'll pay you for exposure!" creeps that think I can live off of nothing.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Cheers that was great :D

Not quite the same as the thread premise but this one cracked me up back in the day.

26757959_2048405988773340_5245939859312338530_o.jpg

Bloke said no obviously.

To which she lost her shit and posted a cry video, slamming the restaurant and the owner and attempted to set the 'blogger community' on him leaving negative reviews and whiney Twitter posts

His response.

Article with some of her supporter's tweets.

This is stellar

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Why does it have to be about money man? Don't you remember when people used to do things for people just to make them happy?
EJGCix-VAAEbS_L.png

Wooboy this in particular really ticks me off, randos who are constantly trying to fish for "free requests." It's always the same bullshit too; offer a shallow compliment to the artist followed by pitching an idea you'd just love to see them draw, and then getting pissy whenever the artist refers them to their comission policy.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I believe it's super prominant in food service/fast food
I would have quit my old restaurant job day 1 if they expected me to pay for their ugly ass uniforms.

No soliciting, k thanks

There's no way in hell they actually found a photographer meeting those requirements

Last edited:

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
The only exposure that should be involved is exposing the fucks who try to do this shit.