• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. Really loved it from start to finish. Not a single thing to dislike.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Watched the first 2 episodes with my friend last night. Thoughts:

-It's not funny enough to be a comedy but I couldnt take it seriously enough to see it as a drama

-It's really just multiplicity and the first 2 episodes dont take it anywhere more interesting than that though I will give it credit that (episode 4 synopsis)
it looks like the wife finds out by episode 4, so at least they knew better than to go down the "dont let the wife find out her husband's clone is fucking her" route

-The first episode is just about the lengths that men will go to in order to avoid going to therapy and that's pretty annoying

-The "improved" version of himself is just a superficially more "sensitive type" guy which makes it difficult to interpret the show as having any meaningful commentary on the issues it's tackling

Was not impressed at all.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I actually really loved how they subverted plot lines dozens of other shows have done when dealing with the clone concept.

Examples throughout the series:
- Revealing the clone situation to the wife by episode 3. Then when it seemed like they were going to veer into calling the OG Miles some dumb twin name like "Kyles", Miles basically owned up to it and said his name was Miles. So while the rest of the company thought they were twins, his wife really knew. We didn't have to deal with tricking Kate the whole season thank God.
- There was going to be a start to some self improvement montage with encouraging music with OG Miles where things start looking up for him after he finds out his fertility test was normal, and he's getting out the running shoes but then they completely cut that short when the Golden Pencil people call about the new Miles's campaign and he goes back to his petty schlubby self.
- In the second to last episode it looks like new Miles is going to pretend to be OG Miles for the last episode but they abandon that plotline entirely because it's something we've seen a thousand times everywhere else.

Oct 2, 2018
I actually really loved how they subverted plot lines dozens of other shows have done when dealing with the clone concept.

Examples throughout the series:
- Revealing the clone situation to the wife by episode 3. Then when it seemed like they were going to veer into calling the OG Miles some dumb twin name like "Kyles", Miles basically owned up to it and said his name was Miles. So while the rest of the company thought they were twins, his wife really knew. We didn't have to deal with tricking Kate the whole season thank God.
- There was going to be a start to some self improvement montage with encouraging music with OG Miles where things start looking up for him after he finds out his fertility test was normal, and he's getting out the running shoes but then they completely cut that short when the Golden Pencil people call about the new Miles's campaign and he goes back to his petty schlubby self.
- In the second to last episode it looks like new Miles is going to pretend to be OG Miles for the last episode but they abandon that plotline entirely because it's something we've seen a thousand times everywhere else.

i loved

the front logo opener font changing and getting more warped as the show progressed

it's so well put together. Probably one of my favourite Netflix shows

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
I just fell in love with Aisling Bea...my God that woman has so much charm. Holy shit.

Overall nice parts, don't know what to make of it in the end though. Reminded me of Maniac (Stone/Hill) from the tone.

Don't know why the
FDA
scene was necessary.

Last edited:

Stewarto

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it, every episode was great and loved where it went.

Helped tremendously by Paul Rudd's charm.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
3 episodes in and I adore this. Not because of the premise as it's been done or even so much for the plot as some feels a bit forced, but because Paul Rudd is executing with astounding force. Dude feels so sincere.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just fell in love with Aisling Bea...my God that woman has so much charm. Holy shit.

Overall nice parts, don't know what to make of it in the end though. Reminded me of Maniac (Stone/Hill) from the tone.

Don't know why the
FDA
scene was necessary.

I loved them. The fact that they were so incompetent was hilarious to me.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Watched 2 episodes last night and really enjoying it.

I understand TASTES and all, but Netflix is just far and away the best streaming service and it's not even close IMO. Seems there is always a new show like this coming around every month or so.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Stopped about halfway through the show rather than binging the whole thing. So far I feel like it's a cool idea, but it occupies a weird middle ground where it's not quite funny enough to be a comedy and not quite serious enough to be a drama. Not sure if it's planning to pick a side or not before the end.

Paul Rudd and Aisling Bea are both great, so the show is worth watching, but it's definitely suffering from a bit of an identity crisis. Intentional, maybe?

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Up to episode 7. Will watch the last one today. Didn't have much expectations but really liked it. It is Sixth Day when the movie ends. But what really sets the series is the way the story is told from multiple perspectives (he, his clone, his wife), when a later episode tells the same story with a different perspective giving more depth to it.

Rudd performance really sets two different characters (the clone is pretty much basic Rudd, but original Miles is really distinctive, up to body posture and language).

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Watched the first 4 episodes, I really like it. Forced myself to stop so I have something to watch tomorrow.
I really like the tone, I like the mix of funny and drama, though that seems to be a problem for some. I love shows like that. Just like Six Feet Under where the funny bits work really great with the drama.

Last edited:

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The little clip on Netflix makes it out to be a funny comedy. Starting watching the first few episodes and it is weird, dark, quirky and disturbing. Love it.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the first episode and was kinda meh on it. The concept is interesting though so maybe I'll try one more.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
I have to watch this ASAP. Rudd to me is a pure comfort zone watch, which is a good thing in my book. You kinda know what you will get, you won't be surprised but you still enjoy it enough to make it worthwhile.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I liked it but I wish the tone wasn't so sitcom-y - this could've been God-tier if it had a darker tone on par with an HBO prestige drama, or even started off broad and cute and got progressively more fucked up as it went along.

The dramatic parts did work well though, Paul Rudd nailed it. Did eyeroll at the ending though. I think short episodes was a smart call here, I would've found it a lot less charming if it was much longer.

Also didn't care for the constant back-and-forth with the timeline. Felt like an attempt to make it seem more complex but just came off as padding to me.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it but I wish the tone wasn't so sitcom-y - this could've been God-tier if it had a darker tone on par with an HBO prestige drama, or even started off broad and cute and got progressively more fucked up as it went along.

The dramatic parts did work well though, Paul Rudd nailed it. Did eyeroll at the ending though. I think short episodes was a smart call here, I would've found it a lot less charming if it was much longer.

Also didn't care for the constant back-and-forth with the timeline. Felt like an attempt to make it seem more complex but just came off as padding to me.

I think the different perspectives episodes added more depth to the story, aside from the one from the last episode which was totally unnecessary. And the ending was too comical for the tone of the other episodes, even if the twist was expected. I agree with you that the show was a little bit too comedy for its own good.

Last edited:

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Watched this this past weekend. Loved it. Has a very enternal sunshine vibe with the outlandish premise, how it was carried out, and the drama and romance.