• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Sounds like Paul Feig is doing his own take on Gothic Horror?
Dark Universe connection is bleh but everything else honestly sounds pretty interesting, he sounds genuinely passionate for old gothic monster horror movies.
Paul Feig: I'm a mega-fan of those old horror movies. I call them more monster movies than horror movies, quite frankly. Horror movies to me now represent slasher and that kind of thing, which I don't enjoy at all. I loved those old movies like "Frankenstein." "Bride of Frankenstein" is probably one of the greatest movies of all-time. I love that movie so much, and there are some things from that movie that I'm using in this new movie "Dark Army."
What I love about monsters is they're outsiders, it's just the most extreme version of outsiders. Frankenstein is one of the most sympathetic characters ever to be put on the screen, even though he does terrible things. He's just looking for acceptance and love.

CS: You mentioned James Whale as inspiration. Does that mean there will be that layer of camp and satire to it?
Feig:
You know, I want that level of humor in there. He took it seriously, but he's still going, "We're gonna have fun with this." There's side characters that are fun.

Source: https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/n...l-feig-talks-universal-monsters-for-dark-army

Edit: So, as people have pointed out to me, this isn't tied into the Dark Universe, thank god. We're just getting some good old James Whale style horror, color me intrigued

Last edited:

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
?????You wot????

I thought Universal pulled the plug?

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Army you say? Still in the Dark Universe?
OrderlySeparateGadwall-size_restricted.gif

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Paul Feig also created Freaks & Geeks, you know. You'd figure that'd be included in the title so it doesn't seem like such a dire idea.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
really burying the lead there.

learning that the dark universe still being a thing is the spookiest thing i've seen all month

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
If I remember and read correctly the Dark Universe is still happening but they're taking a page from the current verison DCU. Make the films stand alone no Avengers style mega film. They're still doing Depp's Invisible Man film too.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they're just going to jump straight into their Avengers team up movie, cause why the fuck not.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So, a bunch of ad-libbed skits, featuring various movie monsters, but no real plot tying it all together?

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
James Whale inspiration is always nice to hear. I got some of that vibe from the lighthouse too

But paul feig on this just inspires no confidence so meh

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guy talks about his huge love of old monster movies but calls the monster by the name Frankenstein... come on Paul.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, what else does Universal have in terms of franchise potential? Fast and Furious is nearing it's end. Jurassic Park/World will likely be taking a hiatus soon. It doesn't surprise me at all that they circled back on the idea.