• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Source
"The original end of the first movie was also smaller but the studio made me change it at the last minute," Jenkins told IGN. "And so, that's always been a little bit of a bummer that that's the one thing people talk about because I agreed and I told the studio we didn't have time to do it, but it was what it was. I ended up loving it, but it was not the original end of the movie."

She added: "This time around, you know what I loved about it? I love that it has both at the end. We had visual effects, a big battle, which I just dug into and had such a blast executing, which I felt so satisfied with. But ultimately the end of the movie is much more pared down. That was really, really fun. No spoilers, there's all kinds of stuff going on, but it was really fun to shape it differently."

Immediately suspected this was the case the first time I watched the movie.
Now that she's more known, she'll at least have more say in how 1984 turns out.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The whole end of Wonder Woman felt like an entirely different (and worse) movie. It felt like the end was written and directed by Zach Snyder.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
wow this makes alot of sense, the ending of the first was one of the worst parts of the film and the focus of the majority of my critiques

Oct 27, 2017
I assume the original ending was when she defeats the German guy and...nothing changes, implying that you can't just stop evil by defeating a single Big Bad. But then the Bigger Bad shows up and she defeats him and WWI ends. It was such a dumb ending to an otherwise enjoyable movie.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I assume the original ending was when she defeats the German guy and...nothing changes, implying that you can't just stop evil by defeating a single Big Bad. But then the Bigger Bad shows up and she defeats him and WWI ends. It was such a dumb ending to an otherwise enjoyable movie.

Yeah the Nigel Thornberry-inside-CGI armour felt so goofy (in a bad way) and tacked on.

Sober

Oct 25, 2017
First film had that "have my cake and eat it too" moment that kind of robbed any subtlety out of the script. Glad they recognized that it was a dumb move and due to execs.

Oct 31, 2017
I believe it. The 3rd Act felt rushed and completely different than the rest of the movie. That's what brought the movie down a couple of notches in my opinion.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, having Ares show up as the "Bigger Bad" definitely sucked in that regard.

Didn't the execs also want to cut the No Man's Land scene? That scene is so incredible, what a shame that would've been.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I hated it. It completely ruins the message that humans can do evil without any god forcing them to.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Hey if there's one thing Warner Bros. knows it's how to make a perfect DC movie. Who is she to question them?

/s

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hardly remember the ending, and honestly, it's suspect as fuck how it highlights Steve over Diana.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This has always been pretty obvious considering the majority of the film is fairly restrained and then the final action sequence looks like Synder forcibly hijacked the director's chair for the week.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Ares fight stunk. Movie deserved something better for an ending.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that CGI fight was terrible. Hopefully they let her do her thing with WW84

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty obvious. The movie had generally a different tone than most super hero flicks which is why I kind of liked it compared to most super hero flicks. But yeah that stupid fight at the end of it was dumb and dropped the movie down a notch.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be curious to know exactly what the changes were. Ares himself was fine as a villain right up until the fight started, but maybe the original ending was more subtle and less "giant superhero battle".

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I had assumed that Ares was always intended to show up, but there was no big fight. Ares explains that he wasn't really responsible for the World War, and Diana has to reconcile with that.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame, because I think if not for that twist it could have been one of the best in the genre - I really don't have any qualms with the rest of the movie. I'm curious what the original idea was.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
I loved the idea I thought the movie was working towards, which was that it wasn't gods making us do evil--it was just us. And that we have to stand up to that evil ourselves if anything is to change. So I can see where they came in and added the mustache god fight. I didn't hate it, but I thought it definitely undercut the thematic message.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
WW is not a good movie, and it's not just because of the ending. The last hour is a mess, and there are tons of other problems beyond that.

However, while she does start by saying the studio meddled with the ending, in the full context of the clip she also talks about how she ended up "loving" the change. So it seems like she ended up agreeing with it and thought it was better than what they originally had?

So cool clickbait, I guess?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Now hold on a bit there Patty, the few people that have been able to see WW84 have been saying it's ending isn't all that hot either.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the idea I thought the movie was working towards, which was that it wasn't gods making us do evil--it was just us. And that we have to stand up to that evil ourselves if anything is to change. So I can see where they came in and added the mustache god fight. I didn't hate it, but I thought it definitely undercut the thematic message.

That was exactly the conflict and why it felt dumb. The movie tried to have it both ways. That evil is not some external source but an internal source. Which is much better than having some big evil bad who is responsible for everything. But instead they thought since it was a super hero movie they still ultimately needed some big final boss battle.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I actually loved the idea that Diana was so sure humanity could never be so cruel unless Ares was making them that way, only to be proven she was wrong. Given that Batman vs Superman implied she had turned her back on humanity for a bloody long time, it was the perfect explanation why - I mean, what's the point in trying to save humanity when it is its own worst enemy? Diana needed to learn that there was good in this world worth fighting for, which I assume was meant to be part of her larger journey.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
The entire fight was silly looking, especially the emotional drama in the midst of it lol. PJ tried to have both and it took away from each by being slabbed together

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
They really tried to have their cake and eat it too by having Ares say nah that humans were actually evil Diana but Ares still was the one who manipulating behind the scenes to kept the war going or something
Way to muddle your point

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds about right, didnt they also want to axe no man's land? The less they meddle the better.