• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
The movie will just get delayed. Putting it on streaming is stupid for all companies involved

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Crazy that this movie was originally scheduled for a December 2019 release. WB delayed it to June 2020 so more people could see it and it instead placed them in the center of this pandemic mess.

The problem at this point is that basically every movie seems to be getting delayed to the same time frame (April/May). So you've got Bond, Fast 9, Black Widow, Godzilla, Quiet Place II, probably WW84, etc. Assuming those release dates actually stick, these movies are going to cannibalize each other and underperform.
Quiet Place needs to go digital. I forgot it existed.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the "I'm not going back to a theater for YEARS" replies. Why not just...go when you have a vaccine?

A vaccine is a really long way off and they kinda have to give it to everyone. Who knows how long that'll take? Unless you're a high priority case, as in particularly old or vulnerable, chances are you'll have to wait months after the vaccine becomes available before you can even get on the waiting list for it.

It's not that outlandish to believe that a lot of people will still be waiting for their vaccine shot in 2022 so, in that sense, cinemas returning to some semblance of normality is indeed years away.

Heck, I don't personally see myself going back to the cinema until October next year when Dune comes out and I'd be very surprised if the new James Bond movie doesn't get delayed again once they realise folks are no more willing to go to the cinema next April than they are this November.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
There is obviously still the belief that your movie going to streaming 'devalues' it a tad whether people will admit that or not.

I can still see 'mid tier' movies getting pushed to streaming next year. The backlog is huge now. And not every movie is going to get a release slot at a theater. That's if any are actually open.

It's sad but the days of packed cinemas looks to be over. I simply would not feel comfortable in a half empty cinema, imagine one packed to capacity.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
I guess they don't want any money until 2025 when the last handful of remaining movie theaters open back up to almost full capacity then.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure how they plan to have a cinema audience mostly composed of Western Australia.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the "I'm not going back to a theater for YEARS" replies. Why not just...go when you have a vaccine?

You speak like the vaccine will work straight away and that people will also take it straight away.

Sensibly it will be years before cinema can realistically offer the experience it used to. Safely with big crowds.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

Years might be extreme, but Im not likely to bother until I've been vaccinated and its been a while. 2022 might legit be the earliest I bother going back to a cinema, and I expect things to be very different then. Im betting a lot of people feel this way, and these studios cant do anything to change it. So they can keep playing tough but it won't matter.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Vinyl is like 5% of musics revenue lmao
e7c45222b1ea92b84d98a120545772ca.gif

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Vinyl has had a nice resurgence, but it is nothing compared to the collapse of the CD.
I mean it's an asinine example anyway, CDs are not comparable to movie theaters in terms of either how the content is consumed by the audience or how they generate revenue for their creators. If Mulan had been a big hit on Disney Plus, Marvel would be releasing Black Widow on digital in a month rather than delaying it another six.

It's not as if studios haven't been shifting their mid-budget films to streaming all year, it's just the blockbusters that aren't viable for that route.

A vaccine is a really long way off and they kinda have to give it to everyone. Who knows how long that'll take? Unless you're a high priority case, as in particularly old or vulnerable, chances are you'll have to wait months after the vaccine becomes available before you can even get on the waiting list for it.

It's not that outlandish to believe that a lot of people will still be waiting for their vaccine shot in 2022 so, in that sense, cinemas returning to some semblance of normality is indeed years away.
Sure, it's not like I believe is getting vaccinated within the next 6 months. I just don't see why anyone's personal timeline relies on the majority/entirety of the population getting vaccinated? I'll feel comfortable going into public spaces again when I'm vaccinated, if/when most other people get vaccinated does not really impact that.

You speak like the vaccine will work straight away and that people will also take it straight away.
You're right, I do expect a vaccine to work.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
You're right, I do expect a vaccine to work.

you are for a rude awakening, sorry. It will be at least mid 2021 to the vaccine reaches a sizeable part of the population (but not all) plus a month for you to develop antibodies from the shot.

I fully expect the COVID vaccine to be around 70-80% effective like almost all vaccines are. It doesn't matter to me this effectiveness for the flu, but covid is a deadly disease. Are you taking the 30% of chance of getting it to be on one of the most likely environment to get it (theaters)? I will not. Not until at least 2022 when heard immunity is achieved with the vaccine even if it is not 100% effective.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Kinda get where they are coming from. Theaters will open again once a vaccine is developed and the majority of the population takes it. When will that be? No damn clue haha.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
you are for a rude awakening, sorry. It will be at least mid 2021 to the vaccine reaches a sizeable part of the population (but not all) plus a month for you to develop antibodies from the shot.

I fully expect the COVID vaccine to be around 70-80% effective like almost all vaccines are. It doesn't matter to me this effectiveness for the flu, but covid is a deadly disease. Are you taking the 30% of chance of getting it to be on one of the most likely environment to get it (theaters)? I will not. Not until at least 2022 when heard immunity is achieved with the vaccine even if it is not 100% effective.
Well I guess we'll see the breakdown in effectiveness once one is actually announced. If a vaccine is less effective than I'm anticipating, suffice to say I'll have other concerns to think about than the earliest I can see Wonder Woman in theaters lol

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Well I guess we'll see the breakdown in effectiveness once one is actually announced. If a vaccine is less effective than I'm anticipating, suffice to say I'll have other concerns to think about than the earliest I can see Wonder Woman in theaters lol

exacty. The majority of people will have other concerns. The die hard theater fan may be back, but families won't. I will take a very wait and see approach even if the effectiveness of the vaccine is announced to be good (keep in mind that our current best vaccine has around 95%, and it is not a rushed one).

that will not be enough for the movie industry. They can simple wait 2 years for revenue, they need to explore options.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They are nothing alike lol. Also physical media for music, specifically vinyl, has made a huge resurgence the last several years!
Same here. Just some bizarre takes in here.

It reminds me of when people thought Nolan was trying to kill people.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Do people but realize the first wave of COVID has pretty much never ended? The president acting like a dick head and JUST now getting should tell people something but I guess not.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Tenet has only made $41.5 million in the US. It still hasn't made back its production budget let alone any marketing costs.

Globally it´s already at 300 million in. US has the worst Covid situation, theaters are normally open in many other countries and it´s safe to go. Though even then they aren´t exactly selling seats out either, in Finland they sell 33% capacity of a single showing and even those don´t sell out.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Look, i appreciate the theater experience and what's it done for bored friends looking for something to do and for first dates who just want to break the ice, but like many things, it's time to put it out to pasture and adjust budgets and business models in a way that's not dependent on the box office.

You had a good run i Snakesalute.gif you movie theaters, but its time to go away.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is exactly zero chance of the COVID situation improving by December 25th. Either delay again or put it on HBO Max.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
How does she know what's not being discussed? The discussions might not involve her, WB has no obligation to include her.

It would be spectacularly bad form to not include your prominent returning director in those discussions, and in fact her inclusion in such discussions is almost certainly part of her contract.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It also has no competition for a loooong time. Plus they can rerelease it when theaters get back to somewhat normal. I don't think Tenet releasing when it did was a bad idea, it at least have the movie theaters that are open something to show.

It'll be on streaming in December. Tenet failed.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
This, honestly.

HBO Max + Theatrical release for December. That way they are still "supporting theater business" and actually making money :v
Doubt it. Theaters won't agree with that.
And streaming would lead to shockingly high levels of piracy.
From a business point of view, the sensible thing is to wait.
They aren't losing money for not releasing the movie sooner and there's no way streaming would do anywhere near enough to cover the costs.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
This movie will likely not perform super well because of that, and then some cigar-chomping misogynistic POS at Warner can once again sneer and say,
"See, these women-led superhero movies just don't do crap"

Like they did with Catwoman and countless other women-led superhero movies, regardless of their quality or circumstances.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
Of course they are, they just not involving her since she's no longer needed on this.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Well I saw the thread saying regal is closing so HOW???

Denying the obvious and delaying the inevitable all while AT&T lays them off. Capitalism, Ho!

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Correct. Direct to streaming is not even being discussed. We are still 100% behind the theatrical experience for #WW84 and supporting our beloved theater business.

Oof, I thuoght they"d be smarter than this. She didn't have to go that hard in the quote either. No bueno.