• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Khanimus

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Keep the dream alive, Patty
giphy.gif

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I can't wait to see if they throw any twists about him from the comics at the viewer. So many to choose from with all the retcons.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the sake of the folks who aren't familiar with the labyrinthine clusterfuck that is superhero comic book continuities... (And no, I'm not a huge expert either, but I know the general gist of things in this case, I think.)

Basically, Max Lord is a guy with mind control powers. He was a hero at one point, but basically, the main storyline that caused him to become associated with Diana was Infinite Crisis - he plotted to wipe out all superhumans, and when Ted Kord (the second Blue Beetle, best known for being best buds with Booster Gold and basically the pair were 'those two guys' of the DC universe) found out and refused to join him, Lord brutally murdered him (yeah, poor Ted got done dirty). Wonder Woman later was forced to kill him in order to stop him from mind-controlling Superman. While this briefly caused a rift between her and both Superman and Batman, they do reconcile and the latter two recognize that she had no other choice in the matter (Lord himself, under the influence of the lasso of truth, told her the only way to stop his mind control was to kill him, and she didn't have the luxury of time).

Now, that shouldn't be that big of a deal, Diana is a warrior and not an uber-pacifist like Clark and Bruce, but it was still seen as a huge deal at the time, as, well, a major hero typically associated with the "heroes should not kill" trope deliberately killing a villain was still a big deal. And unfortunately, in some ways, big stuff like that in comics has a habit of leading to "inspiring" lesser writers - later writers, for a time, ended up missing the point of why she had to snap Lord's neck and ramped up her willingness to kill her enemies significantly for no particular reason.

But yeah, Max Lord is most certainly going to be the main villain for this movie, there's no other reason why you'd put him in a Wonder Woman film.

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Hm, one of those vilans that i just kind stand for the wrong reasons, he is just insufferable and not entertaining.

Still, hopefully the movie will do something interesting with him. I just hope they won't pull an infinite crisis and depict WW as a moron who don't even try to explain herself for why she killed him.

Also, wasn't cheetah supposed to be in this movie? A bit worried they are just gonna have her as a starter villan with this announcement.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Isnt that what everyone thought from the start but then something/someone came out and said it wasnt him

This movies so old I cant remember anymore.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
For the sake of the folks who aren't familiar with the labyrinthine clusterfuck that is superhero comic book continuities... (And no, I'm not a huge expert either, but I know the general gist of things in this case, I think.)

Basically, Max Lord is a guy with mind control powers. He was a hero at one point, but basically, the main storyline that caused him to become associated with Diana was Infinite Crisis - he plotted to wipe out all superhumans, and when Ted Kord (the second Blue Beetle, best known for being best buds with Booster Gold and basically the pair were 'those two guys' of the DC universe) found out and refused to join him, Lord brutally murdered him (yeah, poor Ted got done dirty). Wonder Woman later was forced to kill him in order to stop him from mind-controlling Superman. While this briefly caused a rift between her and both Superman and Batman, they do reconcile and the latter two recognize that she had no other choice in the matter (Lord himself, under the influence of the lasso of truth, told her the only way to stop his mind control was to kill him, and she didn't have the luxury of time).

Now, that shouldn't be that big of a deal, Diana is a warrior and not an uber-pacifist like Clark and Bruce, but it was still seen as a huge deal at the time, as, well, a major hero typically associated with the "heroes should not kill" trope deliberately killing a villain was still a big deal. And unfortunately, in some ways, big stuff like that in comics has a habit of leading to "inspiring" lesser writers - later writers, for a time, ended up missing the point of why she had to snap Lord's neck and ramped up her willingness to kill her enemies significantly for no particular reason.

But yeah, Max Lord is most certainly going to be the main villain for this movie, there's no other reason why you'd put him in a Wonder Woman film.
His traditional powers are a long way from what he is rumoured to have in WW84.

Harmonius

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not buying he's Maxwell Lord until I watch the film and see it officially confirmed.

Considering that his rumoured powers don't line up, the probability that Hades is involved in the film(See Steve being alive), and that Hades is by extension the Greek god of wealth I can see it being another "hiding in plain sight" scenario as Hades hides as a billionaire.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not buying he's Maxwell Lord until I watch the film and see it officially confirmed.

Considering that his rumoured powers don't line up, the probability that Hades is involved in the film(See Steve being alive), and that Hades is by extension the Greek god of wealth I can see it being another "hiding in plain sight" scenario as Hades hides as a billionaire.

I really don't think they can pull that same twist two movies in a row.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His traditional powers are a long way from what he is rumoured to have in WW84.
That's honestly not surprising. Mind control as a superpower is an inherently tricky (and potentially problematic) power to work with, and people likely still remember David Tennant's memorable performance as Kilgrave in Jessica Jones. I imagine WB would rather not want to look like they're ripping off Marvel in this case.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Wait, is it confirmed that Steve is alive and it's not just some sort of flashbacks? Are they making him the Phantom Stranger or something?

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
That's honestly not surprising. Mind control as a superpower is an inherently tricky (and potentially problematic) power to work with, and people likely still remember David Tennant's memorable performance as Kilgrave in Jessica Jones. I imagine WB would rather not want to look like they're ripping off Marvel in this case.
Yes that's not what I mean. Don't want to go into possible spoiler territory but his rumoured powers are far more extensive and arcane. And a bit daft actually.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Max Lord has no powers initially, he was just a scummy businessman who ran Justice League International back in the BWAHAHA days.

here's hoping L-Ron shows up lol

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if WW84 pays homage to the now classic Man of Steel / Rotten Tomatoes scene...

Anyway, WW84 should be fun :D (Only I wish Steve Trevor wasn't on this)

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
God, it kinda sucks they're doing Max Lord in 1984, because him being in the present would be fucking great. But the DCEU is all mixed up so whatever I guess.