• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 13, 2017
In celebration of International Woman's Day, here's the latest entry in the Rotten Tomatoes series.

There are some interesting factoids about this scene included in the full interview that aren't covered in this video:
  • Patty wanted to give Wonder Woman her own "Superman ripping his shirt to reveal the costume" moment to signify her birth
  • The scene was shot in the dead of winter
  • The title card for Columbia Pictures (with the woman holding a light above her head) inspired the framing and color grading of the scene
  • After the movie was scored and completed, Patty called the studio and producers and pleaded for them to re-score No Man's Land. Rupert Gregson-Williams then wrote an entirely new piece for it, which is what made it into the movie
"For me, what was important was that Diana wants to be a hero from day one, but what it is to be a hero does not become clear to her until No Man's Land. Not until No Man's Land does it become: No, it's messy, the world is crazy, it's confusing, it's conflicted, and doing the right thing is incredibly hard and no one will come with you. And her saying, 'That's what I'm going to do,' and stepping up over the edge is despite the fact that you can't or you shouldn't and no one will support you. That was such a powerful way for her to step into being like Wonder Woman."

This story about the man in the wheelchair brought a tear to my eye. Also ironic timing considering that in another thread, a member was suggesting that because Wonder Woman is "half naked," she is less of a feminist symbol:

"There's this one fan interaction that really sticks out in my mind. I was at a screening at the Directors Guild of America Theater and a man was there in a wheelchair and he was sitting in the front row and wanted to talk to me after the screening. He reached out and he held my hand and he told me that so many times in the hospital he'd had to have help on crutches and he would have no clothing on and he would have to stand up and be helped out of his wheelchair. It took all the bravery that he had in the world, and when he saw Diana step over the edge in No Man's Land in just her Wonder Woman outfit, willing to brave the world, just like that, it was him. It felt like him and it made him cry and he got emotional as he was telling me. The fact that her decision to stand up and move forward, because she's an unlikely hero as a woman and as a vulnerable person, was striking that chord in other people."

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
The scene, as the film, sadly never really worked for me. I think it's Gal Gadot's apathetic, almost bored face throughout. That scene at 1:06 especially just looks incredibly silly to me. Adding to that the way they basically turned the Germans into Nazis to make WW1 as easily understandable good vs evil as WW2 and the whole "Superhero in US-colored costume brings freedom to the world"-thing that I've now seen a little to often always rubbed me the wrong way.

I can appreciate they looked for a scene for International Women's Day especially, but I might have chosen Annihilation's finale instead:

A Sci-Fi movie with five women scientists in the lead, none of which sexualised, going out, trying to save a dude and, maybe, the world. The whole last 15 minutes of that movie are among my favorite sequences in modern movie history and I think the movie never really got the recognition it deserved for its representation of diversity in its main cast.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with SilentRob that Annihilation would've been a far siperior pick to highlight for international woman's day, but unfortunately Annihilation ain't a multi-million dollar movie.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
i have no idea why but it bothered me how she was suddenly wearing her metal shoes when she changed. The other parts i can see her having on under neath.

But my stupid criticism aside it was a good scene one of my fav of the movie

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up, Wonder Woman is on HBO if you'd like to rewatch (at least in the US, don't know how it works abroad with HBO).

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It is such an incredible scene. Everything about it just works. I honestly got teary eyed while watching it at the time.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
It's a cool scene but the slow-mo and runway-style walking is dead cheesy.

I like that they resisted the urge to have Diana say "No MAN can make it through there."

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I'm sorry but this is probably one of the worst scenes they could have chosen. It's absolutely ridiculous and nonsensical compared to how the rest of the film is set up that "bullets can kill an Amazonian" but Diana isn't concerned and just walks through machine gun fire? The score is amazing for the scene and it's beautifully shot but I could never get over how silly it came across.

That Annihilation clip would have been a great choice and shows the culmination of the overarching theme of the film.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I never understood the praise for this scene. It is pretty run of the mill superhero fare.

Like others said, Annihilation is a much better representation of the capability of women. It isn't in your face about it and that's to it's quality.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's not satire and my honest opinion. As a symbol for woman empowerment and bravery it's great but as an actual movie scene, it didn't work for me.
If the scene doesn't work for you, it doesnt work for you. I just don't really get the reasoning you gave. Like that's the whole point of being a hero, knowingly risking your safety to save others. She went in deflecting bullets with just her shield, gauntlets and leg guards despite the danger because there were people who needed help. Then the others are inspired by her actions, decided to help distract the gunfire to help her get through.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
Is this a thread full of men/mostly men debating about what's better representation for women? lol

good scene, imo

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most memorable scenes in movie history?..

Well I disagree I'll leave it at that. It was decent enough and works symbolically for international women's day.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Love that scene. I didn't take anything away from it other than how awesome of a spectacle it was on screen.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That seems impossible. Dude even says "no MAN can cross it."

I never saw the scene title close to the scene so I forgot the dialog before the next time I saw the chapter wording. And in the UK high school history goes super deep on WW1 so the phrase is almost rote in my head - but also I have at least one catastrophic obvious simple comprehension fail per year. You'd think that the Lord of the Rings witch king scene might have prodded the connection for me - but here we are.

The best part of the scene for me is the metacommentary on WW1 itself - the sheer stupidity of both the why and the how.

It was a terrible needless conflagration of minor disputes but the actual warcraft was incredibly stupid and wasteful.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The movie, as a whole, didn't land for me, but No Man's Land through to the village scene was just magical. The perfect superhero scene - cheesy and overwrought but completely earnest. All about doing the right thing, because you're the person who can, while everyone else is sure it'll fail.

It's not the greatest movie scene, but it's definitely one of the top ten superhero scenes, period. I think I'd put it right next to Spider-Man 2's train scene as far as nailing the spirit of the genre.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
If the scene doesn't work for you, it doesnt work for you. I just don't really get the reasoning you gave. Like that's the whole point of being a hero, knowingly risking your safety to save others. She went in deflecting bullets with just her shield, gauntlets and leg guards despite the danger because there were people who needed help. Then the others are inspired by her actions, decided to help distract the gunfire to help her get through.
Thematically, it works and serves as a strong symbol but from a logic standpoint, it makes little sense to me.
  • Previously in the film, it is shown that Amazonian's are able to be mortally wounded by gun-fire. It shows she is willing to step out into the battlefield and risk her life which takes bravery. Ok, cool that's great and heroic.
  • However, the scene breaks down to me because of how she casually strolls on the battlefield in slow motion, effortlessly knocking down bullets with machine gun fire coming her way and only hitting her shield when her bare legs were exposed. Again, this isn't exclusive to Wonder Woman and is cliched and in every action movie (which I also find cheesy) but to me, it came across as silly and took away what was otherwise a significant part of the film.
I'm only explaining why I don't like it to show you i'm not trolling but i'm also not going to criticize anyone who likes the scene because some people aren't bothered by those same things.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Wonder Woman got better for movie on rewatch. Diana's naïveté about the world and her desire to help those in need really moved me. One of the best portrayals of heroism in all these comic book movies. And the relationship between her and Steve Trevor is a cut above most of these comic relationships. Gal and Pine are movie stars.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
I thought the village scene was much better.

The no man's land scene was goofy and ridiculous in my opinion.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
This scene gave me goose bumps in the theater, and I actually got teary. I'm a woman and it was so fucking amazing to see a female super hero (and I grew up watching the WW TV show as a kid) get that bad-ass super hero moment and it was powerful as fuck for me. I love these movies and have seen all of them, DC and Marvel, and this moment hit me like a brick. It made the movie for me and made Wonder Woman a super hero.

Yes, Annihilation is a great movie, there are lots of great movies, but No Man's Land was a movie moment that I will remember and appreciate.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Crazy how this scene almost didn't make the cut.

Best part of the movie by far.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
No Man's Land is my single favorite scene in any superhero movie. It moved something in me I can't explain. I had some issues with the final act of the movie, but on the whole I feel there is something very special about WW.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I'm sorry but this is probably one of the worst scenes they could have chosen. It's absolutely ridiculous and nonsensical compared to how the rest of the film is set up that "bullets can kill an Amazonian" but Diana isn't concerned and just walks through machine gun fire? The score is amazing for the scene and it's beautifully shot but I could never get over how silly it came across.

That Annihilation clip would have been a great choice and shows the culmination of the overarching theme of the film.

oh no a superhero is acting heroic and doing larger than life things such a travesty

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

She's not an Amazonian she's a God. Or at the very least Demigod.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Thematically, it works and serves as a strong symbol but from a logic standpoint, it makes little sense to me.
  • Previously in the film, it is shown that Amazonian's are able to be mortally wounded by gun-fire. It shows she is willing to step out into the battlefield and risk her life which takes bravery. Ok, cool that's great and heroic.
  • However, the scene breaks down to me because of how she casually strolls on the battlefield in slow motion, effortlessly knocking down bullets with machine gun fire coming her way and only hitting her shield when her bare legs were exposed. Again, this isn't exclusive to Wonder Woman and is cliched and in every action movie (which I also find cheesy) but to me, it came across as silly and took away what was otherwise a significant part of the film.
I'm only explaining why I don't like it to show you i'm not trolling but i'm also not going to criticize anyone who likes the scene because some people aren't bothered by those same things.
Bullets do start hitting her legs thought. Then she hunkers down.
pczroy7dmdddaocopzvc.gif

source.gif

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
oh no a superhero is acting heroic and doing larger than life things such a travesty
oh no such a low effort post that you didnt even bother to scroll down and read my follow up reply such a travesty.
She's not an Amazonian she's a God. Or at the very least Demigod.
Does this make her bulletproof? At the end of the film, we find out that she is a Demigod which if she is in fact bulletproof make the scene even more cheesy to me.
Bullets do start hitting her legs thought. Then she hunkers down.
pczroy7dmdddaocopzvc.gif

source.gif
The bullets don't appear to actually hit her exposed skin but conveniently just below on her leg bracers. If anything the top gif makes the scene look even worse to me. I've watched too many war movies and seen too many soldiers being shot in the most unexpected way to believe that she would not have been shot by those bullets. If you want to establish she's bulletproof then sure but without that, it suspends my belief and kills the scene for me.

The follow-up scene with them in the village worked much better for me and did a better job at conveying her heroic qualities.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
oh no such a low effort post that you didnt even bother to scroll down and read my follow up reply such a travesty.

Does this make her bulletproof? At the end of the film, we find out that she is a Demigod which if she is in fact bulletproof make the scene even more cheesy to me.

The bullets don't appear to actually hit her exposed skin but conveniently just below on her leg bracers. If anything the top gif makes the scene look even worse to me. I've watched too many war movies and seen too many soldiers being shot in the most unexpected way to believe that she would not have been shot by those bullets. If you want to establish she's bulletproof then sure but without that, it suspends my belief and kills the scene for me.

The follow-up scene with them in the village worked much better for me and did a better job at conveying her heroic qualities.

I did read it, doesn't change the fact that they're both absolutely ridiculous, hell, asinine observations. You are moaning that a superhero acted like a superhero.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York

Your logic does skip the part of the movie where she discovers that she can deflect bullets with her bracelet.

So not like she is going out there with the knowledge Amazon's can dig via bullets without also knowing she has some protection.

And most of the early ones she blocks are single shot sniper rounds. When they start doing faster clips she pulls out the shield.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Your logic does skip the part of the movie where she discovers that she can deflect bullets with her bracelet.

So not like she is going out there with the knowledge Amazon's can dig via bullets without also knowing she has some protection.

And most of the early ones she blocks are single shot sniper rounds. When they start doing faster clips she pulls out the shield.
Again, I have no problem with the beginning of the scene and her blocking the single shots with the bracers since it makes sense that she can do that based on early parts of the movie. The scene breaks down to me when the machine gun starts firing and the 30 seconds proceeding it. I get the meaning of the scene and understand what the director was trying to convey but it simply didn't work for me. I'm always the type of person who watches Batman and thinks why the henchman don't shot him in the mouth when they are point blank instead of in the skull.

Im not trying to derail this thread to be my personal opinion on the scene so ill give up since i've said my piece.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with SilentRob that Annihilation would've been a far siperior pick to highlight for international woman's day, but unfortunately Annihilation ain't a multi-million dollar movie.

Annihilation's ending was -- I thought -- going to be the enigma and imagery of reaching the lighthouse - and I would have been OK with that - but the subsequent imagery, plot and character progression - without dumbing it down - was incredible. One of my most pleasant movie surprises ever and visually stunning.