• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Next time don't try and tell two movies at the same time. Fells like you're watching the sequel already at times in the movie.
Can't wait for Harry Styles in the MCU, I think he's gonna bring a very different and awesome energy.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Eternals 1 was the worst MCU movie by a country mile. I was kinda hoping they'd just pretend it never happened.

Well the mutants origin and some of the best F4 stories involve the Celestials so they're never just gonna ignore them, and the Eternals are closely associated. They're not always involved in Marvel crossover stuff, but Sersi is an Avenger

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I enjoyed Eternals, had a great diverse and cool cast that worked together well. Wish we could've seen more of them together but I understand what she was going for.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Zhao deserves a second chance. It was flawed but ambitious with some real high points. Besides, I like what they set up with the Celestials and the history of the Eternals then the execution of the Eternal's history with humanity. It's some sprawling cosmic shenanigans.

I want Zhao to bring in more JRPG inspirations. I think we will eventually see the Eternals killing the Celestials or at least Arishem.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Zhao is a great choice for Eternals because she has a great eye for scope. Similar to Dune, you could feel the size and distance between everything.

I hope they come up with a more unique story this time though.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
it's almost my favourite MCU movie. its biggest problem was that the whole deviant plot didn't really go anywhere. hopefully the sequel is more focused

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I want Zhao to bring in more JRPG inspirations. I think we will eventually see the Eternals killing the Celestials or at least Arishem.
Zhao had a good sense of energy to the scenes that I assume comes from her manga/anime inspirations, which made a character like Makkari come across as so cool.

View: https://youtu.be/5WmRyJgmkoo?t=128
She also captured the weight of some big fights pretty well. I think Ikaris comes across pretty well in this regard in his fights, his flight, and even the way he uses his eye beams. The fact that she was able to create a more visceral fight that was an homage to The Revenant is pretty inspired.

View: https://youtu.be/ZeY3z_VRdjE?t=111

I have issues with the script but I'm really glad the movie exists because it feels like it brings something unique to the table.

edit: In fact, watching the forest fight with Ikaris again, it's cool how activating his eye beams basically send a leaves close by floating up like they aren't just lasers where the only place it effects the environment is where it impacts, but it is like they push through the air and blow leaves out of the way. Little details like that along with the sparks and the way it lights up the environment is pretty cool.

Last edited:

bshark

Banned
Jun 25, 2018
This is one of the worst films ever made, let alone for super hero content. What an absolute disaster...

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with the first one was the script. It's like they didn't even try to write characters. All of their dialogue was so completely perfunctory it felt like a first draft. If they get better writers, a sequel could be decent.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
I would love to see this. To be honest, even though I liked the first movie, I thought the sequel hook at the end was instantly much more compelling (and closer to the Kirby comics!) than the premise of the film I had just watched.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
it's almost my favourite MCU movie. its biggest problem was that the whole deviant plot didn't really go anywhere. hopefully the sequel is more focused
I've mentioned this before, but I still feel like the movie would've benefited from doing much of the backstory as a Disney+ series so the actual movie could be more focused. Hopefully the sequel addresses that issue now that a lot of the origin legwork has already been taken care of.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Zhao had a good sense of energy to the scenes that I assume comes from her manga/anime inspirations, which made a character like Makkari come across as so cool.

She also captured the weight of some big fights pretty well. I think Ikaris comes across pretty well in this regard in his fights, his flight, and even the way he uses his eye beams. The fact that she was able to create a more visceral fight that was an homage to The Revenant is pretty inspired.

I have issues with the script but I'm really glad the movie exists because it feels like it brings something unique to the table.

I agree. I thought the fight scenes were all quite cool looking. I don't know why people thought they were bland.

Pyccko

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I rewatched Eternals the other day. I actually really like it. It doesn't follow the boilerplate Marvel formula as closely, which was kind of refreshing. And I thought everyone in the ensemble except maybe Sersi gave very memorable performances, especially Druig and Makkari. I'm totally in for more.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the worst films ever made, let alone for super hero content. What an absolute disaster...

Please watch more movies.

Man I was so upset, I thought it was gonna be a twist where the deviant went full sentience and would work with them or something instead

Feb 21, 2022
Yikes if true. Not looking good for the future of the MCU if this is the type of stuff they're betting their money on going forward.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Eternals cinematography was one of Marvels best. It was a joy to look at. Hope shes paired with better writers in the sequel.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
People shitting on the movie in this thread is so weird. Just...move on?

I liked the flick and am glad we get more time with the characters, though I felt it was fairly obvious given the post-credit scene.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
The film looks stunning, the actors are solid, and the action is some of Marvel's best. Getting a tighter script for the sequel and we'll be golden.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Marvel Studios snipers gonna get him.
No seriously, did he not know that this wasn't public info?
Anyways, if actually legit, I'm very glad that Eternals 2 is happening one way or another.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be down with another one, especially with a better script and if Richard Madden is not in it. The man is devoid of any charisma.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Not close to the MCU's greatest, but Eternals wasn't that bad.

I'm down for more Kingo though. Loved how his actor appeared in Obi-Wan as well. Still only in the first two episodes.

Last edited:

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm very harsh on most MCU stuff and while eternals is not good, I do think their was a good movie in there somewhere. Lots of interesting stuff and I liked Madden's character.

It seemed very rushed which is weird cause it's nearly 3 hours.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I'm very harsh on most MCU stuff and while eternals is not good, I do think their was a good movie in there somewhere. Lots of interesting stuff and I liked Madden's character.

It seemed very rushed which is weird cause it's nearly 3 hours.

It feels that way because everything in their past was good enough material for one whole ass movie but instead they just skimmed through hundreds of years which left the characters feeling like they lacked the emotional bond that makes them falling apart compellingly tragic. It was written to be there, we just didn't get to see enough of it.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
There's no way it wasn't happening, tbh, since it wasn't Inhumans bomba and, quite honestly, I think a lot of the hate it gets is overstated (just like Thor: the Dark World!) mostly because it was rather different and did a lot of shit (a loooooot of shit) that it had to go through and setup. There absolutely could have been some fat trimmed but it was a great watch.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I held off on watching Eternals for the longest time because of the flack it got at release. I finally sat down and watched it a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I'll take an Eternals 2.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I disliked the movie a lot but I would rather see her get another crack at it instead of making it into more standard MCU fare

Also I repeat, fuck Kingo

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Maybe they can make a decent movie this time. Especially without making the entire run time being an extremely boring version of getting the band back together. And Especially without Ikaris and Sersi being a fucking black hole of chemistry. And give Kumail something to fucking do instead of shitty finger guns.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe they can make a decent movie this time. Especially without making the entire run time being an extremely boring version of getting the band back together. And Especially without Ikaris and Sersi being a fucking black hole of chemistry. And give Kumail something to fucking do instead of shitty finger guns.

I suspect they'll write in a visit to the World Forge and have every character be rewritten with the memories and personalities from their previous missions. That's one way to make some characterisation adjustments.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Just focus on Makkari, Kingo and Druig. Everyone else can sit this one out as background, they're so wooden from the first movie so it wouldn't be hard.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017

edit: In fact, watching the forest fight with Ikaris again, it's cool how activating his eye beams basically send a leaves close by floating up like they aren't just lasers where the only place it effects the environment is where it impacts, but it is like they push through the air and blow leaves out of the way. Little details like that along with the sparks and the way it lights up the environment is pretty cool.

Haven't watched Eternals, but wow that CG looks terrible. The action looks well choreographed, though.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't watched Eternals, but wow that CG looks terrible. The action looks well choreographed, though.
Some of it looks poor and "unfinished" when isolated like this but saying it all looks terrible is just strange since the detail and care put into some of these scenes are great. It's just more apparent and unfortunate how inconsistent the finished product is.

OP
OP
Antoo

Antoo

May 1, 2019

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I didn't like it when it was released but looking at it now Eternals might be the most important MCU movie for the next few decades. What it sets up is groundbreaking.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Man I was so upset, I thought it was gonna be a twist where the deviant went full sentience and would work with them or something instead
It really feels like it was perfectly set up for a twist like that since they were both used by the Celestials. As soon as Kro gains sentience, he becomes so much more compelling and really makes you question how fucked up are the Eternals for blindly following orders.

It really does feel like the biggest squandered opportunity for me because it's something the audience ruminates on but the Eternals themselves seem to barely even grapple with the idea that the Deviants are living beings, let alone the consequences of what Kro says about the everything. The Deviants were doing what they were made to do just like the Eternals. The Eternals had blood on their hands. Arishem had told them massive lies.

I don't know, maybe it's something that they intentionally left up in the air to explore and deal with in a sequel.