• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Manmademan

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
How is it that she didn't know when to walk out on stage? The guy was in the middle of introducing her and she just shows up.....

Im guessing there was no run through, and she went on as soon as her name was announced.

Typically as a guest that's the point when you appear onstage. The Esquire article mentions this bit.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I am overcome with Christmas spirit for the first time this year, and it's all thanks to that video Manmademan.

I love Patti Labelle.

And a nod to Sgt. First Class Rick who put some real feeling into that clarinet solo. All the rest of them failed Patti, but he held down his part at least.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I added this to our Christmas season routine. This yeah, we watched this video before we settled down to watch that most classic of Christmas movies, Die Hard

Last edited:

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The sheer honed talent and poise of Patti LaBelle, coupled with an inability to accept any bullshit but in a good-natured way, makes her the true Christmas miracle.

You have to wonder if someone behind the scenes was like, "oh sure, she's super talented and seems to be able to handle anything, but what if we fuck up everything around her. I mean, like, everything. What happens then?" haha.

Oct 26, 2017
How am I seeing this for the first time?

But that's the "1960s Soul" the show must go on mentality that singers from that era had ingrained in their DNA. Soul singers and groups back then often had to play through performances where things were thrown at them or various racist remarks shouted. Modern day performers/singers are just too delicate. Taylor Swift had a panic attack when Kanye West interrupted her, but Patti Laelle would have slapped the shit out of Kanye and then continued on with her speech. You call out the shenanigans and keep the show moving.

And yes Patti's ability to free-style in the moment under all that pressure with everything going wrong was simply amazing. You can tell singing isn't just a job for her, she finds comfort and strength from singing.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
TRAVOLTAdance.gif

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Great video, shes a true professional

One of my more recent holiday punishments for the family is Whizzo's Christmas Circus, done by Rifftrax. Every year, we all suffer

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
LMAO. First time seeing this, it was so good, her performance and professionalism during that disaster was amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It really isn't Christmas before this pops back up in my YouTube recommendations. Christmas may not be as joyful as always for me this year, but at least it is not "where are my background singers" bad

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
This is pure beauty. The best drama C-Span has ever had.

It makes me wish for more Patti & Aretha petty squabbles

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Saving my watch of this for Christmas day this year. I'm laughing just remembering it though.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
Pati LaBelle is amazing! Such an iconic voice.

I always loved Darlene Love's annual performance of "Baby Please Come Home" on the Late Show with David Letterman. Here is her final performance from the show:

Tangeroo

Oct 26, 2017
LOL, there's new footage (with better audio) where you can see the poor cue card lady in the frame:

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
This was awesome lol somehow never seen it

Also, wow pretty much any old thread is a graveyard without relent. Crazy

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
Showmanship and professionalism on a level that I can't even comprehend. Still, you can see how very hard it is to conceal how much she wants to murder someone in that moment.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to mention the Jaime Kennedy thing, but I remembered that was New years

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Every year, I forget about this, and then every year, this thread reminds me. I'm doing my part by sharing it with everyone I've grown closer to this year.