• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not particularly sympathetic to the "authors don't owe you A THING" argument when these series are often sold explicitly as a series of books that will be finished later - the promise of continuation is implicit and often explicit in these cases. You shouldn't be able to sue them or anything but be pissed off at them? Yeah, that makes sense. You were told "this is a fundamentally incomplete thing, but I will finish it promise. Now please buy it" - but they're not holding up their end of the deal.

Honestly if he would just come out and say that the series is done and it won't be finished. Then the grieving process can begin and people can move on. This weird limbo does no one any favors.
Definitely.

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
The author that has kept me the most occupied and entertained while waiting for more from Rothfuss is Joe Abercrombie. His First Law trilogy is top notch and complete.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Both the last books from A Song of Ice and Fire and The Kingkiller Chronicle both released in 2011.

Anybody want to place bets at which one is going to be released first? Winds of Winter orThe Doors of Stone

Personally, I think both will be released in 2021, but that's because I'm optimistic.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
The author that has kept me the most occupied and entertained while waiting for more from Rothfuss is Joe Abercrombie. His First Law trilogy is top notch and complete.
Yeah the dude is great. It's clear that he plans out his novels and doesn't wing them like Rothfuss and GRRM. Not many wasted pages in his books. Gonna start the second trilogy soonish.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Both the last books from A Song of Ice and Fire and The Kingkiller Chronicle both released in 2011.

Anybody want to place bets at which one is going to be released first? Winds of Winter orThe Doors of Stone

Personally, I think both will be released in 2021, but that's because I'm optimistic.

Well GRRM is actually giving updates

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Slow regard of silent things is some of the best fantasy I've ever read.
Sad to see that he fucked over such a gentle person that is known to be patient and nice.

i wonder if he will react to this.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I purchased the first book recently, haven't started it as been way to busy...so I should just not bother and pick up another series?

getting tired of reading series that are not concluded

I'd definitely read the first book at least. It's great on its own and tbh, I don't really get why people get so worked up over these things.

9 times out of 10 the conclusions are kind of a let down anyway.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Wise Man's Fear was pretty terrible, but I only really tolerated Name of the Wind in the first place.

The overarching plot for the series isn't exactly complicated, so it shouldn't be an issue resolving plot lines. Sounds like this is more of a passion issue.

Yeah I get that.

I can't even get worked up over it as I feel the same as you: this series was only ever tolerable.

I am more upset with whatever is happening with Lynch.

Not because I feel owed, but because he legit had promise, and to see that fall apart is quite sad. But then again, it sounds like he is dealing with more important shit in his life.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'd be interested in seeing a cliffnotes version or outline of the final book just to satisfy my curiosity over how the fuck he'd wrap things up. It felt like there were a bunch of hanging threads that were seemingly unrelated. Hell, do we even know why it's the "Kingkiller Chronicles"? I can't even remember any kings from the book.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This used to annoy me, but fuck it. I loved the books when I was younger but on re-read they're not really that good. Some interesting worldbuilding and prose, but the actual plot is quite poor and Kvothe is such a eye rolling character. From what I recall, he's a bunch of mysterious-but-hot male fantasy tropes rolled up into one. Oh yes of course his eyes change color when he gets emotion, ahh yes he also super attractive and a genius and etc. etc.

The premise of the book makes it seem like it'd do some interesting subversion about that, but without that it's a middling fantasy book and there's much better things to read.

Winds of Winter. The Doors of Stone is never coming out imo.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's been pretty obvious for a while that Pat either didn't enjoy writing or felt no need to focus on it, so I moved on a long time ago.

I do think it sucks what he's put his fans and publisher through.

OP
OP
Cruxist

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What happens when an author abandons a series and starts another?

You get sad and then once every few years Google if anything has changed, knowing in your heart of hearts it hasn't. James Rollins wrote fantasy under the pen name James Clemens and wrote two novels in the Godslayer Chronicles series. Then he blew up as James Rollins and apparently his publisher showed little interest in continuing the series. So it languishes, gone forever.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Why doesn't he just get someone else to finish it. He can at least tell them what he had planned. If what they come up with is shit then bin it.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Name of the Wind and Wise Mans Fear are two of my favorite books but at this point i've written an ending in my head and i'm expecting book three to never come out. I'd love to be wrong and maybe someday i can enjoy the trilogy in full, but i'm not holding my breath.

God bless fantasy authors like Mark Lawrence, Michael J. Sullivan, Brent Weeks, and Sebastien de Castell that can actually finish fantasy series and not take multiple decades to do it.

(also Wise Man's Fear is better than Name of the Wind)

Last edited:

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Sanderson seems like the only new generation fantasy author to finish shit

I don't think that's fair. Rothfuss and Martin are obviously the biggest examples here because their series are some of the most popular but past them, I can't think of another modern fantasy series left in limbo like these 2 are.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I don't think that's fair. Rothfuss and Martin are obviously the biggest examples here because their series are some of the most popular but past them, I can't think of another modern fantasy series left in limbo like these 2 are.

you're right, it's not fair

nk jemsin finished an award-winning trilogy in like 3 years

Oct 28, 2017

Winds of Winter. GRRM seemed to be stuck in a rut for years, but his latest updates have started sounding hopeful again, similar to the time before ADWD was released.

Rothfuss on the other hand hasn't even mentioned the book in years.
It's weird, because I remember reading his blog around the time when "The Slow Regard of Silent Things" was published and he was writing for Tides of Numenera, and got the vibe that those projects helped him rekindle his love of writing, but that's a long time ago now

D&D and HBO are the ones who gave the series and the genre the massive boost not GRRM. Hollywood isn't adapting more genre works because the ASOIAF novels were good.

That's a meaningless distinction. Sure, the ASOIAF novels didn't influence TV directly that much, but GoT would have never been as successful without GRRM's writing. For a guess at how successful D&D would have been on their own, just look at the reception of S8.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile The Black Song is going to get released tomorrow and I don't give a shit about any other book. Well, maybe Walk in Shadow by Steven Erikson but that one isn't going to get released either.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I watched him play The Witcher 3 to completion on Twitch. He's an interesting guy and was interested in his perspective on the game. However, he banned any talk of the third book. I really soured on the second book and I know a lot of the criticisms are around making Kvothe into a male power fantasy who excels at everything he does, which is frankly boring, but I couldn't get past the fact that a virgin made essentially a Fae goddess lose her mind because he was so good at sex. I remember my first time having sex. I was fucking terrible.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Hell, do we even know why it's the "Kingkiller Chronicles"? I can't even remember any kings from the book.

It's implied in the background that the family of the student he hates, Ambrose, is killing off those in front of them in line of succession.

That's what I gathered at least. I don't know what the fan theory consensus is.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Meanwhile The Black Song is going to get released tomorrow and I don't give a shit about any other book. Well, maybe Walk in Shadow by Steven Erikson but that one isn't going to get released either.
Shit, just remember I never finished the first trilogy. Was Queen of Fire? I recall not enjoying Tower Lord as much as Blood Song, what with the new PoVs I didn't care as much about and all of that.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize it was already time for a new Anthony Ryan book, good stuff!

The "good news" about Walk in Shadow is that he is finally starting it up now that The God Is Not Willing is finished up. But yeah, it's likely a ways off.
Facebook post.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

Sanderson is a freak and I mean that in a good way. Even if I find his dialogue stilted at times, he is probably the most proficient author that I follow. And I don't even read a lot of his YA stuff.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
If you pitch something as x,people buy it because of x and you don't deliver x then yes, you absolutely owe x to people

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Thank goodness I never made it past the first few chapters of Book 1. I can't take another unfinished series.

TWOW will come out. A Dream of Spring is dead.

GRRM has released chapters and provides updates, as vague as they are. I do think TWOW will come out next year. Beyond that, don't hold your breath.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
Shit, just remember I never finished the first trilogy. Was Queen of Fire? I recall not enjoying Tower Lord as much as Blood Song, what with the new PoVs I didn't care as much about and all of that.

Yeah the Blood Song was brilliant in terms of setting up the world and characters but the next two books somehow went fast forward. Queen of Fire was a better book than Tower Lord. But the Raven's Blade duology is where it's at. The main character is Vaelin again and he's up against some unbeatable bastard this time.

Didn't realize it was already time for a new Anthony Ryan book, good stuff!

The "good news" about Walk in Shadow is that he is finally starting it up now that The God Is Not Willing is finished up. But yeah, it's likely a ways off.
Facebook post.

Oh sweet. I didn't know. I thought he would continue writing about Karsa for the foreseeable future.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot I was even waiting for book 3. If it comes it comes. I've already got too much to read as it is.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it comes out he gave a stupid LOTR comparison as to why he won't include most things that should be included

www.tor.com

Patrick Rothfuss Announces The Name of the Wind Tenth Anniversary Edition and Shares Updates on The Kingkiller Chronicle Book 3 - Reactor

Patrick Rothfuss held a Q&A for his fans via Twitch livestream late today, as one of the stretch goals for helping his charity Worldbuilders reach $2 million in donations. During the two-plus-hour chat, he did answer some (non-spoiler) questions about The Doors of Stone, the highly anticipated...

Comment #39 under the article NAILS IT.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

I've really liked the Song of Shattered Sands series too. Having an epic in a vaguely Arabic world and not Europe is pretty great. It would probably have been better as a trilogy but the author has been putting new volumes out yearly and I think there's only a couple more to go.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's disappointing to hear. I've seen Rothfuss at PAX and going to his panels he's an incredibly magnetic speaker and even watching him play D&D is a lot of fun, but having no resolution for this story kind of stings.

Wise Man's Fear felt far more aimless but I still really enjoy the kind of fantasy he tells, it's incredibly distinct from any other fantasy out there.

But damn... the sense of promise that The Name of The Winds had when I first read is head and shoulders above any other first entry in a fantasy series I've tried. The really human way that all the characters act and that things are written, the intrigue of the Chandrian and the great framing that leaves you wondering what crazy moments lie between Kvothe at the University and when he's an innkeeper... ugh that book was wonderful. After Wise Man's Fear, Rothfuss's comments about this trilogy maybe not even being the fully story arc, and the indefinite wait for Book 3, it's just hard to hold onto the excitement I felt coming off that first book.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Joe also writes at a brisk pace, his book series usually take around a year for each volume.
Plus he gives regular no-bullshit updates on his blog.
Joe is by far one of the most stand up authors out there based on my very moderate exposure to most of these big name authors/series. From his reasonable and reliable output, the quality of his work to begin with, his relative views and willingness take criticism and self reflect and change his behavior and writing based on that. Love The First Law series and supplemental works that came after and really enjoyed the first book in his new trilogy and can't wait for book 2.