• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Discussing how low or high, or how much he deserved at any point in his career is not the point of these disclosures.

The point is to help people in similar stages of their career who are from marginalized groups to better negotiate.

As for those making comparisons or trying, salaries vary wildly based on location and tenure comparison doesn't seem productive.
Yeah, OP really botched.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Yeah my mom and sister both live in Vancouver and every time I talk to either of them the conversation always starts with how beautiful it is and how I should move out there and always by the end of the conversation it's how they cant afford to live there and how expensive everything is. That's the trade off unfortunately. You want to live somewhere beautiful like the West Coast, you're paying a premium over living in the midwest or the prairies. It's either you live somewhere where there's always something to do, but you can't afford to go out and do things, or you live somewhere you can afford to go out to shows and events, but there's nothing to actually go out and do. I want to at least at some point in my life experience the former, since I've only ever lived the latter.

Vancouver is basically the San Francisco of Canada. Toronto is New York.

Montreal is... Montreal.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
But how much do teachers make a year? That should be the real outrage TBH
How about the IT guys for school corporations that run everything that allows teachers to do their jobs? They make massively less than the teachers, and embarrassingly less than their job field does outside of education.

Average teacher starting pay in the midwest is $48-60k.
Average school district IT position starting pay in the midwest is $30k

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON

San Francisco CA Home Prices & Home Values | Zillow

San Francisco Home Prices and Home Values

Looks like 50% as much. SF is a weird market, I wouldn't necessarily take that as all costs of living were 50% less in 2010. And you can see from the chart that housing rose 30% over 2011-2014, so that doesn't excuse not giving Patrick any raises either.

The person you made the thread about has posted in your thread to correct, explain, and contradict the concerns of your OP....at this point, you're digging in deeper about someone you don't personally know, in a company you don't personally work for, wherein the person in question has said that your concerns aren't necessary. Kind of absurd, isn't it?

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Digging up someone's personal financials and putting them on parade feels like a gaudy & gross National Enquirer move.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Companies moved in during the first dotcom boom and hung on.
Yeah, but even then, wouldn't it be cheaper to pay people to take trips to SF from a adjecent state?
were not in the 00s, fast internet, instant messaging, video calls are tools that we have now.
for 100k you need to be a CEO or a high level politican in austria (member of parliament get a base salary of 125k€ p.a.) ,
and here where talking about a Games journalist.
How are the baristas, the cleaning personal, the bus drivers paid? That sounds ridiculous, and like a huge bubble that will burst.

Zultima

Mar 4, 2020
Even if that would be considered a low amount of money back then... I'd say it's worth it. Cliche but "it's not all about money". He made enough money to stick it out for years there. And I'm sure many people would gladly just make ends meet for a job like that.

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
Yeah, but even then, wouldn't it be cheaper to pay people to take trips to SF from a adjecent state?
were not in the 00s, fast internet, instant messaging, video calls are tools that we have now.
for 100k you need to be a CEO or a high level politican in austria (member of parliament get a base salary of 125k€ p.a.) ,
How are the baristas, the cleaning personal, the bus drivers paid? That sounds ridiculous, and like a huge bubble that will burst.
You can't compare US and European salaries.
Quick google search : https://www.quora.com/How-come-sala...d-countries-for-an-equivalent-quality-of-life
It's like you need to get so much more in the US because you have to pay a lot by yourself.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Minimum wage in San Francisco is $15.59/hr. On July 1 that goes up to $16.07. That is equivalent to $31,180/yr and $32,140/yr.

If you work in San Francisco, and you're working full time, you're not making less than $30k/yr. Most baristas and other service folks will make more than min wage. City bus drivers start at around $48k/yr and the median salary is around $65-70k/yr, IIRC. A handful make over $250k/yr (via overtime).

If you take out the cost of housing, living in SF can easily be affordable. So basically, anyone who grew up here is going to be OK.

1) If you own a home (or your parents own a home and let you live there) - You won the life lottery in SF.
2) If you have a rent controlled apartment - You won second prize in the life lottery.

Otherwise, it's a matter of bunking up with roomies or living in the exurbs and commuting in on BART.

Oct 27, 2017
I really think it's also an elitist perception thing Among the companies. Like why have your company in philly or idk North Carolina when you can brag that your company is located in the most expensive city in the US etc

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Lol at people saying 100K is "low income" in the Bay Area.
Well, I think there are a couple of misconceptions:
  1. As with NY, making less money generally means that you're living with roommates instead of living alone. This is mostly a lifestyle issue rather than a standard of living issue.
  2. If you're not making a ton of money, it's more likely you're not living within the geographic area that the outrageous cost of living is calculated for. For instance, if you're making $65k you might be living in Oakland or Daly City rather than SF proper.
I mean, look. It's still shitty to be living with roommates and having to make an economic commute to work when you're in your 30's. But that's what comes with the territory when you're living in those cities. People gladly make this trade-off every day of every year.

That said, I'm always surprised that these companies choose to locate themselves in SF/NYC. Especially something niche like video games. You can do this anywhere, especially these days. I always wondered why these companies didn't try to be like Game Informer.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, essentially. I put mine out there, in the twitter thread above, but I've been doing this since... 2010? I'm a Reviews Editor. I make $50k.
Ya this all reminds me of the weirdness I feel when someone says "This is what I made from a 1 million view video"
And my brain explodes. It's like...wtf. Would KILL for that. But orgs are different, things just all over are different. Most importantly many times is those living expenses in some places damn.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Giant Bomb paints itself as "hip"?

giphy.gif

I think it speaks for itself.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
Most creative/media jobs are much lower paying than people think. Everyone wants a "fun" job even though they're a lot of hard work and low pay.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

I miss the early days of GB where they would just make weird things like this.

The site kinda feels like a shadow of what made me originally love it now. The BLLSL, the Endurance Runs, everyone in the same room for the podcast, the Nintendownload Xpress, etc. The creative effort they'd put into their GOTY videos. Even just random segments featuring the people from Comic Vine and Tested, and the tech guys like Dave and Sean.

Decline kinda felt like it started with Ryan Davis passed, and accelerated when they split into GB and GB East.

Finally let my Premium sub lapse this year, after having been a member since the first day the site launched, and a premium sub since whenever they first offered that.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I miss the early days of GB where they would just make weird things like this.

The site kinda feels like a shadow of what made me originally love it now. The BLLSL, the Endurance Runs, everyone in the same room for the podcast, the Nintendownload Xpress, etc. The creative effort they'd put into their GOTY videos. Even just random segments featuring the people from Comic Vine and Tested, and the tech guys like Dave and Sean.

Decline kinda felt like it started with Ryan Davis passed, and accelerated when they split into GB and GB East.

Finally let my Premium sub lapse this year, after having been a member since the first day the site launched, and a premium sub since whenever they first offered that.

... lmao that gif was from the intro for a series they started in late 2018. What are you even on about?

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff Gerstmann should be dragged out on the street and have his Sega Saturn collection destroyed before his eyes.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah my mom and sister both live in Vancouver and every time I talk to either of them the conversation always starts with how beautiful it is and how I should move out there and always by the end of the conversation it's how they cant afford to live there and how expensive everything is. That's the trade off unfortunately. You want to live somewhere beautiful like the West Coast, you're paying a premium over living in the midwest or the prairies. It's either you live somewhere where there's always something to do, but you can't afford to go out and do things, or you live somewhere you can afford to go out to shows and events, but there's nothing to actually go out and do. I want to at least at some point in my life experience the former, since I've only ever lived the latter.

I like living close enough to visit for the weekend then get the hell out before I go broke lol.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
What prompted him to share his pay like that, anyways?
www.resetera.com

Due to the Bon Appetit pay disparity fallout, media people are publicly sharing their salaries on Twitter

What a crazy time for "The Man". Who would have that that COVID-19 would have such second-order effects? Patrick Klepek seems to have started this after the BA stuff, where a well loved staffer wasn't getting paid for video appearances and only made 60k per year. Wage transparency is one of...

a lot of people from various industries have been posting their incomes over the years on twitter

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
www.resetera.com

Due to the Bon Appetit pay disparity fallout, media people are publicly sharing their salaries on Twitter

What a crazy time for "The Man". Who would have that that COVID-19 would have such second-order effects? Patrick Klepek seems to have started this after the BA stuff, where a well loved staffer wasn't getting paid for video appearances and only made 60k per year. Wage transparency is one of...

a lot of people from various industries have been posting their incomes over the years on twitter
Things must be different in the gaming media. The number one rule of any job I've had is don't discuss salaries with your peers. Since I've been friends with several of them on social media over the years, sharing that kind of info would have gotten me in trouble. It's probably to avoid people asking why someone makes more than they do, but it is what it is. I keep my lips sealed and keep my job.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I keep my lips sealed and keep my job.
that's part of the reason people are speaking out, it's a pretty bullshit thing for employers to dangle punishment over the heads of their employees, all to prevent people seeing pay inequality at a company (or in an industry)

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Things must be different in the gaming media. The number one rule of any job I've had is don't discuss salaries with your peers. Since I've been friends with several of them on social media over the years, sharing that kind of info would have gotten me in trouble. It's probably to avoid people asking why someone makes more than they do, but it is what it is. I keep my lips sealed and keep my job.

it's illegal to forbid disclosing your own salary, at least in the states, and part of what's happening in those tweets is people trying to subvert a counterproductive stigma that serves only to perpetuate various inequalities

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

Employers do it entirely so they retain leverage.

It's also illegal to stop you, so you don't need to play their game.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
it's illegal to forbid disclosing your own salary, at least in the states, and part of what's happening in those tweets is people trying to subvert a counterproductive stigma that serves only to perpetuate various inequalities
New Hampshire (where I live) is an "at will" employment state so you can be fired for any reason. My wife got fired from her job for the excuse of "job performance" years ago, but it was because there was a clique and she didn't fit in with them. She wasn't the only one it's happened to at that place.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't share my salary either judging by some of the reactions which seem jealous, petty, or implying that Patrick doesn't deserve what he's making just because it's games journalism. But also hiding salary information is just a way for executive to keep it lower for everyone on purpose.

Good on Patrick for making what he's making and for putting this information out there.

randomlee26

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a deputy editor for a fairly large publication (not gaming related) and can say it's FUCKING HARD to get a good salary.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
It's important for folks who make the higher end of salaries to disclose them because it helps dispel the notion there isn't money available to others. If the individuals making less are the only ones disclosing their salaries it only reinforces the power of employers.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Digging up someone's personal financials and putting them on parade feels like a gaudy & gross National Enquirer move.

I don't know if this is supposed to be a joke or not, but this was information freely offered. A lot of games journalists are doing it on Twitter now.

EDIT: And yeah, see above from the person who this very thread is about lol