• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to watching these. If there are two games that will retroactively be remembered as visionary game design masterpieces from this gen (and impressions were extremely mixed when they first released), it will be Rain World and Pathologic 2.

Also it was terrible that I had to decide between Path 2 and Disco Elysium for best written game of the year. What a year for PC dialogue-heavy RPG/simulation.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly believe Pathologic 2 is one of the most daring and compelling cases for video games using both gameplay mechanics for narrative function and how to use difficulty in a game for narrative purpose, I think the game has one of the best realized creative visions since maybe games like Silent Hill 2 and Shadow of the Colossus, it utilizes artistic direction, atmosphere, gameplay function, and narrative perfectly to convey a very unique experience.
This mirrors my recent thoughts and feelings about Outer Wilds, so I can't say I'm not curious. I always viewed Pathologic as a distant curiosity, but I will have to check this one out. I'll virtually be going in blind since I don't remember anything of what I saw about the first game.

May 17, 2019
This mirrors my recent thoughts and feelings about Outer Wilds, so I can't say I'm not curious. I always viewed Pathologic as a distant curiosity, but I will have to check this one out. I'll virtually be going in blind since I don't remember anything of what I saw about the first game.

I really recommend picking up Patho2 over Patho1. It is basically a remake, but also a refinement.

May 17, 2019
Patho2awards.png

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
For anyone on the fence about this game; when it launches on Xbox on 12/12/19 it'll be available on both Xbox and PC Game Pass.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That's a pretty good Pathologic analysis, appreciate the perspective. Wondering too if there will be a larger revaluation of the game due to current events.
Also it's nice to hear that the Moonlight Syndrome localisation is still in progress.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I've been thinking of trying this game ever since quarantine began. Wondered if I'd just find it too depressing.

Oct 25, 2017
I picked it up during the current PS4 overlooked gems sale. Looking forward(?) to starting it soon. Going to go back and forth between this and We Happy Few to compare and contrast two of the more recent and novel immersive sims.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I bought the first game for nickels this week,curious to try it.
A shame that the ui breaks at 4k but 120fps support is cool.
Hopefully i'll like it enough to jump into pathologic 2 later.

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
The strongest case for this game being art is that I don't understand it at all. I kid, but I did try them and just couldn't wrap my head around it.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I bought the first game for nickels this week,curious to try it.
A shame that the ui breaks at 4k but 120fps support is cool.
Hopefully i'll like it enough to jump into pathologic 2 later.
The first game is also great, and absolutely worth playing, even in the face of the remakequel. It just isn't necessary to play it for those interested in hopping into the second. They both are incredibly interesting, unique games with a lot to say.

Well I'm sold. Just bought it.

Glad to hear!! Let us know how you feel about it.
The strongest case for this game being art is that I don't understand it at all. I kid, but I did try them and just couldn't wrap my head around it.

What did you struggle with? The gameplay loop, the narrative, both? It's an interesting game that reveals a lot about players, and I think it's endlessly interesting in that regard.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
Apparently it released on PS4 last month and is curently diacounted in EU store , 29%. Looking forward to play it

Oct 25, 2017
I've had recent thoughts of this game. I think I dig a lot of how the different survival bars and their increasing difficulty to please as the game progress, prevents you from completing your goals. I am human and I feel very small in this town. On my first play through I made it to day 4, and it was impossible to make progress. Too little food, too little health.

I made the attempt and start again, despite how annoying it was. A bit more experienced and ready for the events of the first few days, This time I made it all the way!!!!! So satisfying.

I love that this game is everything I wanted from a development/sequel of Zelda Majoras Mask, take away the "villains", but keep the moon is about to crash and expand on the main city, somehow make a game from it.

Last edited:

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Just downloaded on PC gamepass. Has anyone got any tips or advice to ease the point of entry? It sounds very interesting but also quite convoluted and difficult. I don't want to bounce off it hard if i can help it.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Just downloaded on PC gamepass. Has anyone got any tips or advice to ease the point of entry? It sounds very interesting but also quite convoluted and difficult. I don't want to bounce off it hard if i can help it.
Just make sure to buy lots of food on the first day! You can store food in the cabinet in Big Vlad's house once you meet him, until you eventually get your hideout.

That's the thing with this game, it's not actually particularly convoluted: the game expects you to do what anyone would do during a Pandemic. Buy food and stock up on medicine. avoid infected people, try your best to keep clean. The interesting stuff comes in when the game juxtaposes these core principles against quests that make you decide which of these principles are actually necessary or important. The thing that makes this hard to understand is that most of these ideas are completely secondary systems in most games, but Pathologic puts them front and center, which a lot of people struggle to reconfigure their priorities around. Your #1 Goal should be surviving, and once you have that down, then you can begin thinking about the quests. In most games, quests would always take priority, so it's easy to see that most people would find this design difficult.

If you are super scared of the difficulty, play on Cocoon or Larva setting, or, just make your own custom difficulty in the menu. It is actually exceedingly difficult to truly screw yourself out of beating the game, even when you are constantly dying.

Oh, and whatever you do don't take the Fellow Traveller's deal.

I'm replaying the game soon again and am very interested in playing the first game.

Pro Tip: Always walk diagonally in Pathologic 1. The game treats movement speed as individual vectors, so holding two directions makes you walk 1.45x as fast as normal. This is an easy, non-cheat way to gain a leg up.

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Crazy that so many people picked up on the Folding Ideas connection, great minds and all that.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Is it better than pathologic 1? Not that ive played it but i watched hbomberguys what 2 hour long video on it lol

I think he said it was basically a remaster or a new updated versionof the same game?

May 17, 2019
Is it better than pathologic 1? Not that ive played it but i watched hbomberguys what 2 hour long video on it lol

I think he said it was basically a remaster or a new updated versionof the same game?

It is a way better, but also different experience to that first. Imagine it as a director remaking their first film, but now more honed and refined in talent. The plot, mechanics, and characters are broadly the same, but are vastly different when examined

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018

Like he says in the video, Pathologic 2 is what Pathologic 1 wanted to be. It isn't just a retread, and is a sequel... while also being a remake. The second staging of a play. It is significantly better mechanically, and equally as good narratively.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I should start playing this. I have it in my Steam library, but I've been waiting on the correct mindset to play a dark, Eastern European horror game.

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
Pathologic 2 is discounted on PS4 at the moment.
https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP0096-CUSA18446_00-PATHOLOGIC200000

Also very VERY important, if you want to play on a PS4 you MUST have a SSD in your PS4, the normal hard drive will not play the game correctly. I cannot stress this enough.

Really? A quick Google search only shows that an SSD might alleviate some of the texture pop in. Can anyone else chime in on the PS4 version?

Jocund

Mar 9, 2018
Really? A quick Google search only shows that an SSD might alleviate some of the texture pop in. Can anyone else chime in on the PS4 version?
I've had the Playstation version for a couple months. I played a fair amount. The texture pop-in is annoying, but not inexcusable. The loading between zones and menus, however, is more egregious. I have a regular PS4. There are technical issues to overcome but the experience is no less powerful. I adore the game! No one needs an SSD. That is dramatic.

If you're sensitive to less-than-stellar performance, it's an option. Alternatively, play on PC.

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
I've had the Playstation version for a couple months. I played a fair amount. The texture pop-in is annoying, but not inexcusable. The loading between zones and menus, however, is more egregious. I have a regular PS4. There are technical issues to overcome but the experience is no less powerful. I adore the game! No one needs an SSD. That is dramatic.

If you're sensitive to less-than-stellar performance, it's an option. Alternatively, play on PC.
Thanks for the clarification, it seemed like a stretch that I'd need to buy an SSD just to play it. I can't decide whether to get this on PS4 or PC (960M so the performance will be more or less the same).

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I played the game on a PC with a HDD and it was fine; I think most of the issues are due to the game being heavily CPU bound, which obviously the PS4 can't really compete in. That being said, I know plenty of people that have completed the game on PS4 who had a good time, so it's a totally valid option.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice more videos I haven't seen including Griff 's. I do not get tired of watching people talk about this game on YouTube lol which I think is a testament to how much material it gives you to unpack and discuss. I used to have a long-form analysis channel and the only two games in the last few years that really made me want to go back and make another video were this and Disco Elysium.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I haven`t watched the videos yet and I´m not going to until I`ve finished the game. Just wanted to say that Pathologic 2 is in certain aspects the game I´ve been waiting for for years, without knowing I was.

If you`re fed up with or at least tired of "modern", conventional games and a sucker for deep atmosphere and unpredictable, dark storytelling, you should check out this game.