• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final Kickstarter Total Prediction

• < $1,900,000

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • $1,900,000 - $1,950,000

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • $1,950,000 - $2,000,000

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • $2,000,000 - $2,050,000

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • $2,050,000 - $2,100,000

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • $2,100,000 - $2,150,000

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • > $2,150,000

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of having both RTwP and TB. Feels like they could end up with 2 half-baked modes instead of focusing on creating a single good game mode.
Other than that, really looking forward to this game. And great to see how well the kickstarter is doing, still increasing quite fast each day.

They say they are using the mod as the source to implement the system.
I'll believe in everyone that says it's an excellent mod in that, the game only needed very minor adjustments to the rules to work as Turn Based Mode. It worked so well that it even allows you to switch on the fly from the existing RTwP to TB.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, which is strange, because it's totally going to get them more backers.
I can understand where they're coming from. With the mod existing it would be easier to prove they can implement the system natively by providing a demo. I think they wanted to prove themselves alongside the announcement instead of just being all talk.

Keep in mind how Kingmaker launched. I'm sure they're still a bit gun shy when it comes to showing off new features.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The question is now how? Steamworks is great but for people who don't use Steam will be interesting to see.

Also still torn between ratfolk and kitsune
I would assume mod support is mostly focused on providing a better system for modders and a native management system in the game menus. The process for people outside of Steam will probably just be the usual "drop files in Mod folder."

Vaporak

Banned
Jan 30, 2018
I just restarted Kingmaker with a new character to try out the turn based mod, and it's fabulous. I like both real time and turn based combat so the mod being able to be toggled on and off at will is an amazing quality of life feature for me. If the one they make for Wrath works the same way I'll be very happy with it.

Raspada

Oct 27, 2017
I am so happy they're including a TB option, especially so since they're basing it off of the really great mod for Kingmaker.

Being able to do RTWP for trash mobs, then switching to TB for difficult encounters was a great implementation of it, and is something I hope future WRPGs with RTWP decide to do.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am so happy they're including a TB option, especially so since they're basing it off of the really great mod for Kingmaker.

Being able to do RTWP for trash mobs, then switching to TB for difficult encounters was a great implementation of it, and is something I hope future WRPGs with RTWP decide to do.
Yep. I know it's considered blasphemy by many to even consider it, but I hope BG3 has a similar option (if not outright turn-based).

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
Man all this Pathfinder news REALLY makes me wonder when were gonna get another update to BG3.

I believe Larian indicated they were going to be doing something BG3-related on February 27th. They had a short trailer that was primarily showing the devs working on stuff and said that "something is brewing" and ended with the 27th date listed.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder what are the chances that we'll still get Swashbucker and the Summoner?

My secret wish is that someone would implement the Dreamscarred psionic rules into the Pathfinder engine, but I don't really see that ever happening.

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
Wrath has now passed Kingmaker in terms of total backers. Should get enough backers for the last social goal before the kickstarter is finished

Oct 28, 2017
Turn based mode sounds great but I wish RPG devs wouldn't be so afraid to reduce trash mobs in their games. Fighting the same 3 spiders in a cave over and over gets old fast.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Owlcats are doing a Valentine's day special dev stream today (in about 4 hours from now):

P.S. Loving the art for the title screen of this stream ^_^

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
The creator of the turn based mod(hsinyuhcan) said
Owlcat contacted me in November 2019 and sent me a present at Christmas, but I promised to keep it in secret until officially announced.

Sounds like Owlcat have been working on TB mode for sometime

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
This kickstarter is having some serious legs. After the first week Kingmaker went down to an average of 10k per day while Wrath is still pulling in an average of 40-50k. At this rate it'll definitely break the 2 million mark.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
SUPER tempted to back this now that Turn-based mode is announced, and that "Thiefling" party member looks awesome haha. But, I'm concerned that I'll back this for a Steam version (GOG or a stand alone client is fine too) but it gets snatched up by EGS just before release.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
SUPER tempted to back this now that Turn-based mode is announced, and that "Thiefling" party member looks awesome haha. But, I'm concerned that I'll back this for a Steam version (GOG or a stand alone client is fine too) but it gets snatched up by EGS just before release.
They've answered several times to the same question in the Kickstarter comments that they won't do it. Of course, some other projects that got snatched up by EGS also previously claimed that they won't do it. Still, in this case I personally believe Owlcats' statements, since they worked very hard on fixing Kingmaker's bugs to recover their customers' goodwill, and I doubt that they'd want to lose it overnight even for Epic's piles of money, especially after Shenmue's and Phoenix Point's disasters.

Last edited:

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
They've answered several times to the same question in the Kickstarter comments that they won't do it. Of course, some other projects that got snatched up by EGS also previously claimed that they won't do it. Still, in this case I personally believe Owlcats' statements, since they worked very hard on fixing Kingmaker's bugs to recover their customers' goodwill, and I doubt that they'd want to lose it overnight even for Epic's piles of money, especially after Shenmue's and Phoenix Point's disasters.

Hmmm I might bite then. What happened with Phoenix Point?

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Have they said if Deep Silver is publishing again? Because we definitely have seen publishers ink deals without the developers being on board with it. I still don't think it'll happen but unless they're self-publishing it may not be their call ultimately.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Owlcat would accept a deal from Epic, but I also have no doubt Epic will approach them with a deal.

Epic sees Kickstarter as nothing more than an indie game popularity contest that helps them decide what games to snatch up. Heaven forbid they use that money on risky indie games.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
A new update, about the new Witch class:

www.kickstarter.com

Update 16: Hocus Pocus! · Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

You enter a house. It’s old and scary, and the floor creaks loudly with every step. There is no one inside, except for several large spiders lurking in the cobwebbed corners. At first, everything seems pretty normal, but then you take a closer look… The shelves are filled with bottles, flasks...

New spells look really cool:
ada365e92c7bdbfc92f6dbbc3a674839_original.gif

Last edited:

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's nice that they're ready to reveal the archetypes for the new classes as well. The Witch is a really fun class, but some of the most fun abilities would be pretty limited in a CRPG.

Actually, a really useful stretch goal would be full crafting mechanics, considering how many different weapons and items there are (and how bad the vendors have been so far) a full Temple of Elemental Evil style crafting system would be way more awesome than mounted combat or a an extra class.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
It's nice that they're ready to reveal the archetypes for the new classes as well. The Witch is a really fun class, but some of the most fun abilities would be pretty limited in a CRPG.

I wonder how are they going to implement hagbound's capstone ability (complete irreversible transformation into a full-fledged hag at level 20). This seems close to how they do mythic paths, and at first glance seems not to be compatible with them.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder how are they going to implement hagbound's capstone ability (complete irreversible transformation into a full-fledged hag at level 20). This seems close to how they do mythic paths, and at first glance seems not to be compatible with them.
Hmm, yeah, good point. I imagine they'd just make it more mechanical and give you a bunch of bonuses and maybe change your character model.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
I'd love if one of the further stretch goals is "More portraits & enhanced visual character customization".

Ideally, it would be great if they could promise doing at least one portrait for each race/gender/class combination. This seems to be a frankly insane number (11×2×23=506 portraits!), but it's okay if not all of them are completely different, (say an aasimar portrait for a given class/gender combination is just the human one but with halo and shiny eyes). So I think that something like a $100k stretch goal could realistically pay for that (?). Note that portrait packs were among the most popular mods for Kingmaker, so the demand is clearly there. And I think that it's a good stretch goal as it can be outsourced, thus avoiding the overstraining of the core team.

It would also be great if they could find some ways to tweak, say, hair or eye color of the portraits in game. I think that it could realistically be possible with some tricks.

And of course more choices for the 3d models would be welcome as well.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd love if one of the further stretch goals is "More portraits & enhanced visual character customization".

Ideally, it would be great if they could promise doing at least one portrait for each race/gender/class combination. This seems to be a frankly insane number (11×2×23=506 portraits!), but it's okay if not all of them are completely different, (say an aasimar portrait for a given class/gender combination is just the human one but with halo and shiny eyes). So I think that something like a $100k stretch goal could realistically pay for that (?). Note that portrait packs were among the most popular mods for Kingmaker, so the demand is clearly there. And I think that it's a good stretch goal as it can be outsourced, thus avoiding the overstraining of the core team.

It would also be great if they could find some ways to tweak, say, hair or eye color of the portraits in game. I think that it could realistically be possible with some tricks.

And of course more choices for the 3d models would be welcome as well.
You do know that there are portrait packs with 2000+ portraits in them available right now, right? That's multiple ones for each race/gender/class/archetype.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
6 archetypes per class? They really need to to default to the "normie mode" with suggestions and the advanced stuff hidden.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Interesting that they say that some of the archetypes will be custom created by them. That wasn't the case with Kingmaker was it?

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Interesting that they say that some of the archetypes will be custom created by them. That wasn't the case with Kingmaker was it?
There may be one or two exceptions, but the vast majority are from Paizo, yes. There are also like 20+ archetypes per class as Pathfinder 1e is pretty much done. A lot of them just add flavor rather than fundimantally change any mechanics (eg aquatic-themed witch, urban ranger, etc.).