• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Houston
so after starting the new game b/c of the bug. there's a bunch of shit different i didn't get to do b/c of patching didn't retroactively fix things if i already started part of quest. i have more advisers to choose from, i saw the ending of some quest, i'm planning feats ahead of knowing what i'll face, i'm just zooming through stuff without changing the difficulty from DC spikes

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
enraged owlbear treant + split party

There is no eternal enemy in the game. The guide just didn't try at all. You have to finish it with fire damage once it's downed to kill it.

Similar enemies :
Primal shambling mould -> requires negative energy (inflict wound)
Crag Linworm -> requires a cold iron weapon
every treant-like enemies -> requires fire damage

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
There is no eternal enemy in the game. The guide just didn't try at all. You have to finish it with fire damage once it's downed to kill it.

Similar enemies :
Primal shambling mould -> requires negative energy (inflict wound)
Crag Linworm -> requires a cold iron weapon
every treant-like enemies -> requires fire damage
i have multiple fire damage weapons and it did jack shit

i watched a video online and someone downed it (not killed) it with a normal melee hit and it immediately switched to the other party

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
i have multiple fire damage weapons and it did jack shit

i watched a video online and someone downed it (not killed) it with a normal melee hit and it immediately switched to the other party

For that part I killed it with a fire spell and the game continued. It's not because you have a fire weapon that it will hit though. It seems the flatfooted AC isn't coded properly as even downed enemies can be hard to hit lol

My point remains though. Many places the guide says that an enemy is immortal and it isn't true. Sometimes they have insane strategies to stealth and drag an enemy away to open a chest while you simply need the right skill to kill.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i didn't even bother with the one guarding the chest, but the one that keeps me from progressing the Bloom quest was the problem. i don't think i even have proper fire spells on my current party

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
i didn't even bother with the one guarding the chest, but the one that keeps me from progressing the Bloom quest was the problem. i don't think i even have proper fire spells on my current party

Yeah that's an issue with the ruleset not being explained. They explained the troll one in the story and the crag linworm in the loading screen but the rest is up to you (just like the swarm before they've patched it).

The guide not knowing this and being the official one is pretty funny though. They do this again with the Primal Shambling mould which is quite funny.

I'm not restarting at this point even with the all the issues I had. I'm more than 70 hours in and as soon as they patch the Amiri quest glitch and the act VI transition I'm beating it and that will be it.

I even killed the super boss that gives 1000 BP. It's not accessible right now unless you glitch through the badly coded ground with dimension door but the cutscene worked and the fight to so who cares.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
This game really got some weird bugs. Defeated a boss
Armag
, and let him live, after which he leaves. But he keeps reappearing after a short while with 1% HP, charging at me. Then I can beat him again, and once more let him live. Repeat ad infinitum.

Seems like killing him stops the respawn. Not what I wanted to do though :/

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Houston
For that part I killed it with a fire spell and the game continued. It's not because you have a fire weapon that it will hit though. It seems the flatfooted AC isn't coded properly as even downed enemies can be hard to hit lol

My point remains though. Many places the guide says that an enemy is immortal and it isn't true. Sometimes they have insane strategies to stealth and drag an enemy away to open a chest while you simply need the right skill to kill.
so dumb that worked, 1 single fire attack when it was downed triggered the switch. i had fire weapons but they were on the wrong people/in inventory

tho i don't think i'll ever do a playthrough again without buying my own side characters instead of using the default party members outsize of Linz

when finding a item makes me want to have a druid but not really

Last edited:

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
So are you supposed to go for Stag lord or Kobolds first? Im doing the Kobold dungeon atm and it is taking very long time. I still have like 35 days left but yeah..

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
This game really got some weird bugs. Defeated a boss
Armag
, and let him live, after which he leaves. But he keeps reappearing after a short while with 1% HP, charging at me. Then I can beat him again, and once more let him live. Repeat ad infinitum.

Seems like killing him stops the respawn. Not what I wanted to do though :/

Yeah I mentioned this a few pages before. At this point the game starts to get fairly broken.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
New hotfix. It fixes the appearance of your city as it was not supposed to look like a backwater village the whole time. New issues: it might be impossible to leave the town if you had saved inside before the patch andIt might also now be impossible to talk to Hassuf the seller in the square.

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
I had a bug that was preventing me from leaving town after the new patch, but it fixed itself on a save/load.

Oct 27, 2017
London
Decided to jump in now that a bigger update is out. Got some weird bug when I finished the first area where I couldn't see my marker on the travel map. Fixed it by going into rest menu.

Also why is Linzi still writing my journal if she ditched me for that asshole Tartuccio after I upset her with my douchebag ways, lol, is she telepathic or something?

Got to Oleg's trading post, fought bandits and almost wiped. Harder than Pillars of Eternity for sure. Doesn't help if the item and ability descriptions are so obtuse and inaccessible for anyone who doesn't remember literally everything about DND. You have to decide whether 1d6 or some other value for example is better. Might restart because my party comp is crap. I wanna play as a totalitarian baroness so I think Lawful Evil is better than Lawful Neutral.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Decided to jump in now that a bigger update is out. Got some weird bug when I finished the first area where I couldn't see my marker on the travel map. Fixed it by going into rest menu.

Also why is Linzi still writing my journal if she ditched me for that asshole Tartuccio after I upset her with my douchebag ways, lol, is she telepathic or something?

Got to Oleg's trading post, fought bandits and almost wiped. Harder than Pillars of Eternity for sure. Doesn't help if the item and ability descriptions are so obtuse and inaccessible for anyone who doesn't remember literally everything about DND. You have to decide whether 1d6 or some other value for example is better. Might restart because my party comp is crap. I wanna play as a totalitarian baroness so I think Lawful Evil is better than Lawful Neutral.
I think you will rediscover her after a while.

Also do a quick google search about the spell/weapon dmg numbers and you will get it. Its not hard (besides I think the game gives you weapon damage range.)

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
Might restart because my party comp is crap. I wanna play as a totalitarian baroness so I think Lawful Evil is better than Lawful Neutral.

re: spoiler
you'll be able to get her again relatively quickly, especially if you prioritize tailing Tartuccio.

Unless the part of your party comp you're worried about is your MC, I'd continue on... if you just reached Oleg's and fought the battle you can create new custom characters via one of the NPCs inside the trading post. They're a little expensive (may only be able to afford one right now), but you only really need one or two if you can tolerate using the story companions to fill in gaps for a bit.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i recommend buying comnpanions to replace all npc's you're given except Linz. the price is based off what level you are btw so it goes from 2k to 50k+ later on

Gyoru

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't like how companions are built and want to experience their content, just use the Respec mod to fully respec them from level 1 - you can even change their race. There are a couple other QOL mods on nexusmods like instant travel to the world map and changing the fatigue rate.

Oct 27, 2017
London
re: spoiler
you'll be able to get her again relatively quickly, especially if you prioritize tailing Tartuccio.

Unless the part of your party comp you're worried about is your MC, I'd continue on... if you just reached Oleg's and fought the battle you can create new custom characters via one of the NPCs inside the trading post. They're a little expensive (may only be able to afford one right now), but you only really need one or two if you can tolerate using the story companions to fill in gaps for a bit.

I don't want to be a Paladin who's at worst Lawful Neutral because of the god I chose to follow, I kinda want to play a Lawful Evil character now. Rerolled as dex fighter now.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you don't like how companions are built and want to experience their content, just use the Respec mod to fully respec them from level 1 - you can even change their race. There are a couple other QOL mods on nexusmods like instant travel to the world map and changing the fatigue rate.
Haha, I just didn't use most of the companions, so I could level them like 10 levels when I finally decided to do a quest that needed them.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Update 1.0.10b (18 October 2018)
Hello everyone! Please, be aware that there are plot spoilers in the descriptions below (in the Quest, Areas and Kingdom sections)!

Quests
  • "Assemble a Militia in Varnhold" could be started before the player was able to enter Varnhold. Resolution: fixed.
  • Not all the guards were triggered into aggressive state while completing "Intervene in Varnhold" objective, making the quest impossible to complete. Resolution: fixed. For players, who already encountered this issue, Tirval has a new dialog to complete the objective.
  • Amiri's sword repair didn't count in the companion's quest ("Reforged Blade"). Resolution: fixed. Affected saves files have also been corrected.
  • Valerie's first companion quest was easy to miss - its starting event was active for 10 days only. Resolution: the active period of the starting event was extended.
  • "Search for poachers somewhere in the Narlmarches" objective could not be completed due to the chance that the related special encounter didn't happen. Resolution: fixed.
  • The dialogue with Eimar could be interrupted ("The River's Justice" quest), making the quest impossible to complete. Resolution: fixed.
  • Romance with Tristian didn't continue in some cases after events at the "Abandoned keep" area during the "Betrayer's flight" quest. Resolution: fixed. Unfortunately, the affected saves couldn't be fixed. Those players who want to continue romance with Tristian have to use saves before "Betrayer's flight" quest completion.
  • Players could use the rule posts after the debates ("Inconsequent Debates" quest), which led to Jubilost becoming a frog permanently. Resolution: fixed.
  • Dialogue with Alondi ("A Bard's Calling" quest) was interrupted after the first phrase, making the quest impossible to complete. Resolution: fixed.
  • "Impatient Pirates" quest didn't finish in some cases. Resolution: fixed.
Areas
  • Pitax Wardens had their Combat Expertise bonuses multiplied every time players saved the game. Resolution: fixed.
  • Dialogue with Nyrissa could not be finished in some cases at "Abandoned Keep" area. Resolution: fixed.
  • It was possible to do the "Shrewish Gulch" book event more than once. Resolution: fixed.
  • Party could be teleported to a random area after the Book Event at "Castle of Knives" area. Resolution: fixed.
  • There was a chance to get the second copy of Briar at Pitax King Palace. Resolution: fixed.
  • There was incorrect entrance into "Empty Skull Rock" area. This area couldn't be found by perception check on the Global Map. Resolution: both issues are fixed.
  • There was incorrect entrance into "Middle of Nowhere" area. Resolution: fixed.
  • Dialogue with Salim Ghadafar was triggered every time after loading at "Castle of Knives" area. Resolution: fixed.
  • There were several issues with navigation at "Castle of Knives" area (some loot chests were unreachable; no collisions for some models). Resolution: fixed.
  • Players couldn't loot dead Darwen at "Brineheart". Resolution: fixed.
  • There were two areas for Amiri's companion quest with the same names ("Six Bears Camp") which confused players. Resolution: fixed. The outdated area changed its name now.
  • Under certain conditions, quest NPCs could not appear at "Flintlock Grasslands" area infused by the First World (the last chapter). Resolution: fixed.
  • Bartholomew could be missing at "Wizard's Laboratory" area when players tried to return his whip. Resolution: fixed.
  • Amiri could keep immortal state after completing events at "Flintlock Grasslands" area. Resolution: fixed.
  • "Shallow Gulch" area doesn't require perception check on the Global Map anymore.
  • One of the areas had incorrect type and visualization on the Global Map. Resolution: fixed.
  • The dialogue (Merchant in Distress) didn't work correctly if players resolved the event with fey-pranker peacefully. Resolution: a new dialogue option has been added.
  • Dialogue with goblins located behind the Lamashtu statue was not available. Resolution: fixed.
User Interfaces
  • Characters in Inventory could become black-and-white in some cases. Resolution: fixed.
  • HP-bar is improved to indicate correctly Hit Points left.
  • Interaction and exit area markers got stuck in the game frame sometimes. Resolution: fixed.
Kingdom
  • Pitax final kingdom event didn't start. Resolution: fixed.
  • Brevoy councilor didn't appear at "Throne Room" area and Kingdom development couldn't progress. Resolution: fixed.
  • The project to get rid of Lander Lebeda's spies was not available. Resolution: fixed.
  • Kingdom could be destroyed without triggering the gameover dialogue in some rare cases. Resolution: fixed.
  • The kingdom event "A Mysterious Letter has Arrived at the Castle" (the letter from Linxia; "Deal With the Devil" quest) didn't finish correctly. Resolution: fixed.
  • Building tooltips have numbers of the kingdom stats which are upgraded by the specific building now.
Classes & Mechanics
  • Players who strayed from their prescripted alignment as divine classes and lost their spells asked us to provide them with a way to atone for their transgressions. Resolution: Jhod Kavken and Arsinoe sell Scrolls of Atonement now. Using that scroll returns you to the alignment you selected during character creation at the start of the game which in turn should help characters if they lost their spells.
  • There was empty description for the buff that caused 50% chance of a spell failure due to the First World influence in some areas. Resolution: fixed.
  • Warpainted Skull of Duthica disappeared after use and did not summon two barbarian spirits. Resolution: Warpainted skull can be properly used once per day and summons two barbarian spirits.
  • There could be two copies of Grimoire in Blakemoor's inventory. Resolution: fixed.
  • Companions who died from the Disintegrate spell disappeared from the party. Resolution: fixed.
  • Jaethal and Linzi became invisible if they died from the Disintegrate spell. Resolution: fixed.
  • Vital Strike inflicted extremely low damage. Resolution: fixed.
  • Bokken's masterpiece didn't work. Resolution: fixed.
  • Lawful Neutral Inquisitors and Clerics of Torag could not cast spells. Resolution: fixed.
  • Enchanted shields no longer give double bonus when equipped (some extraneous enchantments may still remain in older saves).
  • Animal Companions that Druids got from Animal Domain did not scale properly off druid level (while the animal companions that Inquisitors and Clerics got from the same domain were doing just fine). Resolution: fixed.
  • Hospitalers and Empyreal Sorcerers could not select Selective Channel and Extra Channel. Resolution: fixed.
  • The Energy Source ring did not give additional Channel Energy charges to Hospitalers and Empyreal Sorcerers. Resolution: fixed.
Miscellaneous
  • There was an issue with one of Nyrissa's animations. Resolution: fixed.
System
  • Zip library is upgraded to fix some rare save corruption issues. Unfortunately, affected saves files can not be corrected.

Gestahl

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I've hit the point where sorcerers should be able to swap out a spell every two levels and not being able to chuck my garbage summons into the trash and get something actually useful is making me feel trepidation towards reaching level 6. I suppose the respec mod can always be a last resort, but for being so faithful to the PnP this is one bizarre omission

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Been eyeing this game, mainly because of Avellone's involvement but I just love cRPG's in general. What's the concensus around the game? Worth a buy? I don't really care for the Steam reviews since cRPG's in general on Steam always attract the whiniest nerds ever.

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Completely missed it, looks quite interesting, but I can wait a bit for bugs to be fixed. I guess what can be fixed will be fixed by Christmas, so thats will be time for me to buy.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
haven't made it past the prologue yet just keep making different characters.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The game's massive with good writing, interesting characters that play a role in the story, lots of quests, meaty dungeons with varying types of puzzles. There's a shitton of potential. And the kingdom-oriented mechanics can lead to some unusual and unique twists on the gameplay. Some of the kingdom mechanics need to be tweaked/rebalanced/bug-stomped though. Some of the projects feel worthless for insane time investment and a lot of the others are just protracted D20 rolls to make an arbitrary number go up -- "yay roll a dice and wait 20 days to see if Economy goes from 33 to 37!". Could use some fine-tuning.

The biggest drawback right now are the sheer number of bugs and broken questlines. I lot of the issues are being addressed and quickly, but I would still give it a bit because they had/have a hell of a lot to fix.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Been eyeing this game, mainly because of Avellone's involvement but I just love cRPG's in general. What's the concensus around the game? Worth a buy? I don't really care for the Steam reviews since cRPG's in general on Steam always attract the whiniest nerds ever.

It's definitely an awesome game with a lot of quality content. It's just a bit too buggy at the moment. I'd recommend to wait at least a month (the devs are patching the issues quite rapidly) and then give it a try for sure.

From the start it feels like yet another boilerplate RPG, but starting from Chapter 2 the game really opens up. Companions are well-written and participate in conversations with NPCs, and have some nice twists to them which get revealed only later on. Art style is quite nice (I love the UI art style especially). Mechanically it's a pretty faithful adaptation of Pathfinder ruleset, so prepare to fell overwhelmed if you're not intimately familiar with Pathfinder or at least D&D3.5 (admittedly at the moment the game does a subpar job of explaining stuff, but you can read up on the not-so-well-explained parts in the pathfinder reference docs, available online). Exploration feels great, and I like the kingdom mechanics (though this part definitely needs some polishing).

All in all, don't miss this game, it's awesome. Just wait a bit.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines

It's going to be one of the best crpg's ever made and will be a classic in a few years.

BUT

It has a lot of bugs that can break the game and there are some issues that needs to be addressed.
Probably will take by the end of the year to fix this

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
after every major non fight thing i pass i have the urge to look up what loot i could get if i just killed the thing.

if you monk i suggest Lawful Evil...for no reason

Last edited:

DeepChord

Jan 21, 2018
Are you fuckin with me game...I get destroyed by the call of abbadon because I wasted time not progressing the main story but instead searching the whole map for the fuckin source building up magic energy...they clearly need to give a hint that what you have to do is progress in the main story. I had more than enough time but wasted it on side-content because I thought that's how to solve the issue. hours of gameplay lost. fuck that.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. There should really be an option to show fail-timers on all relevant quests, and timers for when next main quest is appearing. Sure, that is not realism, but spending hours doing X, only to see a quest fail, that has no mentioning of a time limit whatsoever, is really annoying.

DeepChord

Jan 21, 2018
Yeah. There should really be an option to show fail-timers on all relevant quests, and timers for when next main quest is appearing. Sure, that is not realism, but spending hours doing X, only to see a quest fail, that has no mentioning of a time limit whatsoever, is really annoying.

I mean, I saw the timer and knew there was something coming. I just didn't look in the right direction.

Just gonna edit my savegame and hope it doesn't screw anything up further down the line.

Gestahl

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Turning Jaethal into a cleric, giving her that negative channeling circlet and selective channeling, and setting her loose into a pack of mites/kobolds/wolves/bandits makes for some fun times