• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Even tho the loading times are long I think PoE2's ones are way worse

Another hotfix same day!

Hotfix 1.0.6:

---------------------------------

I've just completed Chapter 2, clocking about couple dozen hours, and haven't personally encountered any bugs whasoever so far (apart from some minor UI glitches). So if you don't have too much time to play right now, it's quite likely that most bugs in the later chapters will already be fixed when you reach those chapters. There is just one issue right now: long loading times, which is quite annoying as you encounter a lot of loading screens; they have promised to look into that and to try to fix that in the first major patch (expected around October 22 or a bit later). If you can put up with long loading times, I say plunge into this game right now.

Aaaaaaaand bought. My god I cant wait to make my Eldritch Scion!

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Say if one were at a certain trading outpost and was saddled with a time limit, how long would one need to leave to not fail the game after wandering around doing random stuff.

That first initial time limit is very, very generous. Don't stress out about that one too much.

Excited to patch up and put time into this tonight when I get home. Hopefully fixes my issues...

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Say if one were at a certain trading outpost and was saddled with a time limit, how long would one need to leave to not fail the game after wandering around doing random stuff.
I cleared the whole available area taking my time and still had like a month to spare. Just don't abuse resting too much and you'll be completely fine.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I feel like I'm fundamentally missing some wrt spells and spellbooks. I've just kept Tristian as a straight cleric (I have some of the other companions doing multiclass things, so I figured I'd not get too creative with him), but he can only cast up to level 2 spells from his spellbook? During his level ups it says he gets new spells but I dunno how to access them.

Gestahl

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I feel like I'm fundamentally missing some wrt spells and spellbooks. I've just kept Tristian as a straight cleric (I have some of the other companions doing multiclass things, so I figured I'd not get too creative with him), but he can only cast up to level 2 spells from his spellbook? During his level ups it says he gets new spells but I dunno how to access them.
The spellbook icon in the bottom left is where all spell management occurs. Sorcerers and the like who choose specific spells on level up don't need to worry about that however.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The spellbook icon in the bottom left is where all spell management occurs. Sorcerers and the like who choose specific spells on level up don't need to worry about that however.

Ah okay...I've been mostly using only Linzi (Dragon Disciple/Bard) and Regongar as my spellcasters, and I think they both choose specific spells so I wasn't aware Clerics worked differently.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah okay...I've been mostly using only Linzi (Dragon Disciple/Bard) and Regongar as my spellcasters, and I think they both choose specific spells so I wasn't aware Clerics worked differently.

Bards and Sorcerers get to chose new spells every level up, which they channel using their intrinsic powers. They can cast any spell they know as long as they have a slot at that level.

Clerics know a set amount of spells at every casting level that cannot be changed. Wizards have an extremely large pool of spells that they can copy into their spell book. However, you need to find the scroll for the spell first and then copy it. For both clerics and wizards you have to manage which spells and how many castings of each you want to do each day.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For clerics, remember that you can cast any spell as a "cure" spell of the appropiate level instead , you just have to click the arrow above the spell on your bar. You never actually should slot in your cure spells directly.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
After playing for around 12h and being just around the end of chapter 1, I must say that I'm genuinely impressed with the game.

In all honesty, Obsidian should be eating their collective hats at the moment. It appears that one unknown Russian studio can basically modernize the realtime with pause isometric crpg gameplay better on their first try than Obsidian has to date. Everything from the AI (especially companion AI), the overmap, resting, the inventory, the UI just... works. It's by no means perfect, I've had one crash to desktop and one bugged (minor) quest, the UI could use a few more tweaks (especially on the level up screen), and there's a bunch of minor bugs, but this all feels relatively easily fixed and Owlcat seems to be very quick on the patch front.

Even if it isn't New Vegas level storytelling, it's still quite good with plenty of variety. This is what I expected from Pillars 1, taking an existing world and a (modern) system and making them work rather than building their own versions and still struggling to make it work.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
After playing for around 12h and being just around the end of chapter 1, I must say that I'm genuinely impressed with the game.

In all honesty, Obsidian should be eating their collective hats at the moment. It appears that one unknown Russian studio can basically modernize the realtime with pause isometric crpg gameplay better on their first try than Obsidian has to date. Everything from the AI (especially companion AI), the overmap, resting, the inventory, the UI just... works. It's by no means perfect, I've had one crash to desktop and one bugged (minor) quest, the UI could use a few more tweaks (especially on the level up screen), and there's a bunch of minor bugs, but this all feels relatively easily fixed and Owlcat seems to be very quick on the patch front.

Even if it isn't New Vegas level storytelling, it's still quite good with plenty of variety. This is what I expected from Pillars 1, taking an existing world and a (modern) system and making them work rather than building their own versions and still struggling to make it work.

This. Not only is their first game more polished (although it still has problems) than PoE and PoE 2 was at launch, but they managed to put in more content and better quality content than Obsidian's been able to do. Them being based in Russia probably helps because salary should be a lot less but I'd still say the way they managed to pull off Pathfinder has retroactively soured my opinion of Obsidians PoE projects. Pathfinder is everything PoE should've been, and it's the closest we've ever gotten to a Baldur's gate game since BG2. It's my GotY so far, this game is so good once you get used to it's mechanics.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This. Not only is their first game more polished (although it still has problems) than PoE and PoE 2 was at launch, but they managed to put in more content and better quality content than Obsidian's been able to do. Them being based in Russia probably helps because salary should be a lot less but I'd still say the way they managed to pull off Pathfinder has retroactively soured my opinion of Obsidians PoE projects. Pathfinder is everything PoE should've been, and it's the closest we've ever gotten to a Baldur's gate game since BG2. It's my GotY so far, this game is so good once you get used to it's mechanics.
Agreed, I'll never understand why Obsidian went with their own (half-assed) system. I'm sure Paizo would me more than happy to have anyone with a pulse use the Pathfinder system. And thinking back to PoE2 I dread the godawful companion AI programming thing that just did not work. Here the AI pretty much just does what I expect them to do and it's easy and intuitive to change on the fly, just boggles the mind.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Seriously loving this game. If they can just get a handle on the bugs it could easily be one of the best RTwP CRPGS out there.

It's especilaly shitty that their most recent game breaking bug has hit over the weekend when the developers are off. Just want to play Pathfinder all day but with that stat bug it feels not worth it.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The main thing that this game blows out of the water over Obsidians recent efforts is the Companions and their quests. Compare this game's companions to Deadfires new ones...

Only Valerie is a little bit silly.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The main thing that this game blows out of the water over Obsidians recent efforts is the Companions and their quests. Compare this game's companions to Deadfires new ones...

Only Valerie is a little bit silly.

Agreed. The companions and especially their quest lines in POE2 were quite frankly pathetic ... And the excuse that the ones in POE1 were too expensive to produce with how barebones they were was also embarassing.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I like most of the Deadfire cast more than Kingmaker. (I also like deadfire's combat more than kingmaker but that's because limited spells irk the hell out of me). The main story is more consistent in Kingmaker though (that said timed missions pisses me off enough that deadfire wins out on that too).

Also I had not too many bugs in deadfire compared to kingmaker. (That said I didn't play the first one til a year before the second came out).

That said I agree the quests themselves are pretty bad in deadfire. I was okay with Aloth's tho.

Gestahl

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
^The family feud quest in Neketaka completely broke for me and prevented me from doing the negotiation and I last played it a couple months ago. The poor fps performance in general made me shelve it until the dlc finishes.

I lost any faith in caring about the companions when my pc had the option of either doing nothing or pawing dust and grime off Xoti's stupid hick face. She's like something out of a Twilight book. Not like the others are much better though, like Maia sending out "WANT TO FUCK???" feelers after being in the party for half an hour or Serafen and Tekehu's general creepiness (though Tekehu almost becomes an actual character when it comes to anything involving the Huana)

Agreed, I'll never understand why Obsidian went with their own (half-assed) system. I'm sure Paizo would me more than happy to have anyone with a pulse use the Pathfinder system. And thinking back to PoE2 I dread the godawful companion AI programming thing that just did not work. Here the AI pretty much just does what I expect them to do and it's easy and intuitive to change on the fly, just boggles the mind.

There's something coldly dry and mechanical about how both PoEs handle just about all their systems, combat and otherwise. Like in BG2 you can summon an assload of spiders, slap down some webbing, and then turn half your party into spiders, and that's a viable way to handle like a third or half of the early game encounters and it's fun and something you might reasonably come up with on your own or hear about on the grapevine. But in PoE beyond obvious gimmick shit like making a custom party of chanters/druids everything's pretty flavorless, most of the spells do marginally different damage/debuffs, each character is limited to doing the 2-3 things you spec them for. Endgame of PoE 1 felt like I had set up a train set and was watching the motions, very few fights ever played out in a different or interesting way.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
^The family feud quest in Neketaka completely broke for me and prevented me from doing the negotiation and I last played it a couple months ago. The poor fps performance in general made me shelve it until the dlc finishes.

I did have performance issues (but for the that's part and parcel of an obsidian game.) But not enough that I couldn't finish. I'm replaying it right now and it's its sooooooo much better. So many useful tweaks that I can't wait to see what happens after the last dlc comes out. Granted my machine is decent enough to force through most of the poor performance (which really was restricted to Nektaka and only in certain weathers for me). But yeah shelving until the later dlcs is a good idea in general lately.

Pathfinder hopefully will undergo as much as a transformation as deadfire did. It's so much better than on release that it makes me hopeful for Pathfinder.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I lost any faith in caring about the companions when my pc had the option of either doing nothing or pawing dust and grime off Xoti's stupid hick face. She's like something out of a Twilight book. Not like the others are much better though, like Maia sending out "WANT TO FUCK???" feelers after being in the party for half an hour or Serafen and Tekehu's general creepiness (though Tekehu almost becomes an actual character when it comes to anything involving the Huana)

It's the same in this game too. The green half orc asks to fuck you and one of the choice is to tell him he'll get it so hard he won't be able to sit for a week. Same stuff which is why I fail to see why people think the characters are so amazing. The dumb dwarf cleric is basically like Durance from POE. The undead elf is hilarious too.

I think I'm almost done with the game now (I'm in the last territory). Outside of the bugs and the awful beginning that made it impossible to play it's pretty fine. I really think the game has pacing problems though Everything being on timed counters make it so that sometimes it's like 200+ days before something happens. Make it fairly boring.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
So I didn't run into the issue where Amiri disappears in the last stretch of the game after the Barbarian events, but now i can't interact with her, and even if she's in the party, I can't enter the Six Bears camp to finish her questline.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pillars 2 had issues with how fast you earned rep with factions and characters, but I have no idea how anyone could think this game's characters blow them out of the water. Especially as time goes on and you don't have half the character interactions you get early on because your party variety is too wide for the devs to have written anything. They feel barely present after act 1.

The one standout character wise in this game is that they actually do feel like some of them are evil or really good and could care less about you if you're not in line with them. Most modern RPGs sort of force the PC down a mostly good path and have parties that all feel like they are on that good line and so every one fits in every party, even if they are kinda a twat like Durance. So I appreciate that effort, at least.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There's something coldly dry and mechanical about how both PoEs handle just about all their systems, combat and otherwise. Like in BG2 you can summon an assload of spiders, slap down some webbing, and then turn half your party into spiders, and that's a viable way to handle like a third or half of the early game encounters and it's fun and something you might reasonably come up with on your own or hear about on the grapevine. But in PoE beyond obvious gimmick shit like making a custom party of chanters/druids everything's pretty flavorless, most of the spells do marginally different damage/debuffs, each character is limited to doing the 2-3 things you spec them for. Endgame of PoE 1 felt like I had set up a train set and was watching the motions, very few fights ever played out in a different or interesting way.
Obsidian wasted a ton of resources designing and playtesting a rules system when they could have been trying to make the actual gameplay work. For Pathfinder Paizo and the thousands of players using the system did the legwork for free.

It does kind of feel like no one else bothered to try the RTwP after Obsidian.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
I certainly like PoEs combat more than Pathfinder so far (although Pathfinder is improving, and I still got a lot left). Just feels like PoEs combat mechanics makes for a better video game, even if Pathfinder might have the better, more fully developed, system behind it. Problematic tuning in Pathfinder might be a reason though.
As I saw someone describe it, Pathfinder lacks a DM who can step in whenever the system mechanics gets stupid.

As for characters, I think both PoE and Kingmaker are weak in that department. In terms of the world and story, PoE on the other hand seems far ahead of Kingmaker - but I'm only like halfway I think, so things can change.

I did have performance issues (but for the that's part and parcel of an obsidian game.) But not enough that I couldn't finish. I'm replaying it right now and it's its sooooooo much better. So many useful tweaks that I can't wait to see what happens after the last dlc comes out. Granted my machine is decent enough to force through most of the poor performance (which really was restricted to Nektaka and only in certain weathers for me). But yeah shelving until the later dlcs is a good idea in general lately.

Pathfinder hopefully will undergo as much as a transformation as deadfire did. It's so much better than on release that it makes me hopeful for Pathfinder.

Makes me happy to hear that. PoE2 was really rough at release, so I decided to save a second playthrogh for when all the DLC was out.
And yeah, if Pathfinder keeps of the frenetic patching they have had so far, the future is looking good for it too.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I certainly like PoEs combat more than Pathfinder so far (although Pathfinder is improving, and I still got a lot left). Just feels like PoEs combat mechanics makes for a better video game, even if Pathfinder might have the better, more fully developed, system behind it. Problematic tuning in Pathfinder might be a reason though.
As I saw someone describe it, Pathfinder lacks a DM who can step in whenever the system mechanics gets stupid.
To each their own, I guess. I found PoE's rules system uninspired and bland, it felt like most abilities had similar effects or just weren't worth using. When you land that ray of enfeeblement or finger of death in Pathfinder, it makes a difference.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Yea, a lot of my stats are messed up. I'm just playing through it for now though since I already have broken questlines and a dead character thanks to a bug lol.

Edit: Lmao

kGTQgLE.jpg

Last edited:

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I just got to the trading post and Jesus Christ the shared party weight is borked if t's going to swap you to 1 single party member for a hot second. I'm playing on challenging and I had ro turn the setting off for it. I mean I get the jist if you have a party but for hub areas it makes no sense.

Also had to buy +10 alchemist fires just to kill 3 swarms. I'm estimating anywhere between 90-95% miss rate even when I allocated the throw function to the character with the best to hit stats and placed them right next to the swarm. Apparently it's accurate to pen and paper but why make you fight 3 of them at a time then?

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
The stat duplication thing is an issue for all players I assume?
I played a lot yesterday, and has not been affected yet. No idea what causes it. I'm using some of the items that should be giving problems.

Plenty of other bugs though.
Ekun wont spawn in my game - yet I got his quest. Cant return whip to some mage, even though he actually spawned - and a recent hotfix specifically mentions fixing this... Just now I finished Candlemere, but the quest giver is stuck somewhere and wont let me turn it in. Feels like its getting more and more bugged the further you go - which I guess isn't too surprising.
This game might be even more bugged than Divinity Original Sin 2 was at release.

Sarek

Oct 27, 2017
This game should be getting way more recognition. I'm still quite early in the game, but so far P:K for me is the closest thing to the BG games I've seen during this CRPG renaissance. Hadn't even realized how much I missed the D&D style ruleset. At least it seems to be doing quite well on Steam.

Also having to hotfix your game on almost daily basis isn't ideal obviously. The fact they are doing so though and communicating with the players really shows how passionate Owlcat are about this game, and it is always a pleasure to support a studio like that.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
They hotfixed the stacking bug today, I think. (And more? The patch is 3.5GB.)

The new hotfix breaks all sound and music in the game until you manually move some subdirectories around.

Why aren't they using a beta branch for this stuff?

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
They hotfixed the stacking bug today, I think. (And more? The patch is 3.5GB.)

The new hotfix breaks all sound and music in the game until you manually move some subdirectories around.

Why aren't they using a beta branch for this stuff?
Holy shit this is beyond meme now, they need to rever back to hotfix 1.03 and take their time patching this crap.

Wotkar

Oct 27, 2017
this is microsoft levels of quality assurance now. honestly I am quite impressed

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Like... steam has beta branch functionality, why not release the hotfixes as a beta first before nuking everyone's games?

This shit is pathetic.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh yeah, I was wondering what happened to the sound.

Regarding the kingdom stuff, without spoiling too much, can anyone tell me if there is a practical output for the kindom stats? Like will I get more money if I focus on the economy stat etc.?

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this one patch today fix the kingdom management. I had the issue where Unrest keep increasing no matter what I did. Every time a dice roll failed Unrest would increase and when I would get Triumph or Success it wouldn't decrease. I was not alone to have this issue as in the last hotfix they added an option for your kingdom to be invincible because it's obviously broken. If Unrest reach 7 level it's game over otherwise and the only way to 100% lower it so far is to have the even that cost 1000BP. Good luck getting that much in an instant. This is amateur hour.

EDIT: I really disagree with the BG comparison. BG had a fleshed out main story while you visited the locales from the Sword Coast. This is basically a bunch of events you would get in the Pathfinder campaign book and I'm 50 hours in the game. It's loosely tied together so the endgame doesn't feel as random and out of the blue as the original campaign it's based on.

I'm having fun but this game clearly wasn't ready. It needed much more time in the oven. A good manual would have been useful or at least good tutorials. Balancing the early game is the minimum thing you can do and asking people to mess with difficulty sliders to do the job is poor form. Constantly breaking something when patching the game is also fairly embarrassing. The game also has huge loading time which make managing the kingdom and going out of your town a pain in the ass.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
So I have a question. For those that are near the end of the game, after the Vordecai event.

Can you save both Tristian and Amiri or it's an either/or scenario. I have both quests and they both appear to be timed

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else getting oddly low FPS in this game? I'm getting 65-75 FPS (1440p) with a 2700x/1080 TI/16 gigs of ram. It's pretty weird and I'm not sure how common that is.