• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
You need three towns to upgrade capital to a city, and the same rules for upgrading a village to town apply. So you need 6 regions to make a second town, then 9 regions to make a third.
Hmm wait, so I need to upgrade the base villages to towns first? How do I do that?

I thought I only need 3 villages. Apparently they're not towns, but just villages?

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
So I already have control over 3 towns/villages. How do I upgrade my kingdom now?

Once you have 3 villages, an advisor will come along to start a 7 day project to turn you capital into a town. Once you have 6 in total you turn another village into a town, you get to choose which one. I assume once you have 9 areas in total a 3rd can be turned into a town and then your first town into a capital.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
The game didn't explain how to build cities well at all I feel. I'm going into the dwarven ruins and I just now realized "enter" on far away cities you'd built meant going into the placement ui.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
I like how the main town changes based off your alignment. The discussions you get as evil are XD

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Once you have 3 villages, an advisor will come along to start a 7 day project to turn you capital into a town. Once you have 6 in total you turn another village into a town, you get to choose which one. I assume once you have 9 areas in total a 3rd can be turned into a town and then your first town into a capital.
Okay, cool. Everything is clear now.

So after all this time, I'm just a mere baron of a bunch of filthy villages, damn.

The game didn't explain how to build cities well at all I feel. I'm going into the dwarven ruins and I just now realized "enter" on far away cities you'd built meant going into the placement ui.
Yeah, there's basically no tutorial at all in kingdom management. For one of the main features the devs were touting, they're not doing a good job explaining it. I don't think there's even a video explaining the feature, they keep focusing on story and characters.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
Ok this part made me laugh out loud (Nok-Nok companion mission spoilers):

Being nice has it's consequences, somehow I unleashed a group of drunken Goblins on my capital and this was Harrim's response:

C6B63965E846CDD2A8ED423A29EB6331506A1B9D

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking they possibly might be different formats or something, but as I said, no clue.
Does anyone know? Start on PC, transfer to PC? Possible?
I don't know if you got an answer to this, but I know that Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, and Planes of Numenera all have platform specific save games. I know this because I also wanted to alternate between my Macbook and my desktop computer.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
So far a fun game but it seems to have some pretty solid bugs, missing text, and etc around. Guess I'll wait for a few patches.

Also apparently the lack of quality control on this title extends to running this on my Macbook Pro since the bonus items won't even show up in Steam's DLC list under MacOS lol. At least it runs decently I suppose.

Last edited:
OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm so proud of Pathfinder right now, reaching Pillars 2 peak is no small feat.

V1Zpvhg.png

Anyway, I've just found out about this re-spec tool. I'll just leave it here so I can remember it when I get back home later.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/0/3393916911747887110/

[Tool] Save-Editing Respec

Hey guys! I too am among the people that have cried for the lack of a respec option, and have been looking for a way around this for the last day or so. I've arrived at something that might be usable, and might help you respec without having to mess around with the JSON save files.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if you got an answer to this, but I know that Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, and Planes of Numenera all have platform specific save games. I know this because I also wanted to alternate between my Macbook and my desktop computer.
Thank you, I didn't find an answer yet, so that helps. Thanks!

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
Well, I think it's time to wait for a patch. Looks like the Nok-Nok encounter broke my game completely and I now have a drunken giant marauding though my Barony destroying everything and none of my advisors can do anything about it, they constantly fail the check over and over.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Been playing this game near nightly for a while and man, it's really dense, I feel like there's so much to do. It's also incredibly uneven but the highs are high. I just beat Chapter 2. I finished quests in the Swamp Witch's hut area and the spooky tower and both were really rewarding. Having to gear and prep differently for the wisps in the tower forces me to think a bit differently and watching the preparation pay off when I wasn't immediately murdered by their opening lightning strike felt nice.

Then there's also quests where some guy wants you to find three volumes of a book, and he sells one of them, lol.

Some of the fight difficulty seems uneven too. I was making progress through the Troll's Lair and it seemed like a fair challenge. I wasn't steamrolling anything, but was making steady progress with good battles, only to get to the king and get absolutely curb stomped. I returned 2 levels later and managed fine, but it seemed like he hit really hard and incredibly fast and didn't match the challenge that led up to him. Luckily you can change the difficulty toggles at any time seemingly without penalty.

I'm also not sure I like how seemingly many of the kingdom aspects really just boil down to dice rolls despite taking 40-60 days? Been trying to avoid the temptation to just save scum for the best result on all of them.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Well, I think it's time to wait for a patch. Looks like the Nok-Nok encounter broke my game completely and I now have a drunken giant marauding though my Barony destroying everything and none of my advisors can do anything about it, they constantly fail the check over and over.
Wow, that sounds bad. Thanks for the heads up, I guess I could do that too. Good timing that AC Odyssey is just around the corner.

Been playing this game near nightly for a while and man, it's really dense, I feel like there's so much to do. It's also incredibly uneven but the highs are high. I just beat Chapter 2. I finished quests in the Swamp Witch's hut area and the spooky tower and both were really rewarding. Having to gear and prep differently for the wisps in the tower forces me to think a bit differently and watching the preparation pay off when I wasn't immediately murdered by their opening lightning strike felt nice.

Then there's also quests where some guy wants you to find three volumes of a book, and he sells one of them, lol.

Some of the fight difficulty seems uneven too. I was making progress through the Troll's Lair and it seemed like a fair challenge. I wasn't steamrolling anything, but was making steady progress with good battles, only to get to the king and get absolutely curb stomped. I returned 2 levels later and managed fine, but it seemed like he hit really hard and incredibly fast and didn't match the challenge that led up to him. Luckily you can change the difficulty toggles at any time seemingly without penalty.

I'm also not sure I like how seemingly many of the kingdom aspects really just boil down to dice rolls despite taking 40-60 days? Been trying to avoid the temptation to just save scum for the best result on all of them.
Yeah, some encounters aren't well-explained, including that troll king. We're supposed to stop him from buffing himself with haste, and the fight will be much more manageable. There's also a cheesing tactic apparently. Regarding kingdom management, yeah I'm not sure the determiner of a successful event/project. But from my experience so far, there's nothing to lose when you fail an event/project. There are always be more of them coming up later.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
New day, new patch!

Major Issues
  • No pre-order/Kickstarter rewards for the saves started before Hotfix 1.0.2. Resolution: rewards are available in the chest at Throne Room or Oleg's Trading Post.
  • Metamagic Rods are properly highlighted when activated and deactivated immediately on click (instead of waiting until the end of the round).

Quests
  • Jubilost's companion quest does not work correctly (character is teleported to the tavern at the wrong time). Resolution: fixed.
  • The dialogue could be broken at Inconsequent Debates area under certain conditions. Resolution: fixed.
  • Quest unit is absent at the location during the second Harrim companion quest. Resolution: fixed.
  • Poachers didn't start the conversation at the Poachers' Hideout. Resolution: fixed.

Areas
  • Jaethal`s death at the later chapters may cause the game over. Resolution: fixed.
  • Amiri doesn't appear at the end of Flintlock Grassland. Resolution: fixed.
  • Amiri doesn't return after Flintlock Grassland. Resolution: fixed.
  • Captured companion may stay prone visually after the combat starts at Technic League Encampment. Resolution: fixed.
  • Companion captured at Technic League Encampment may be invisible for several seconds after areas loading. Resolution: fixed.
  • Unable to talk to guard captain Hyland (Runaway Throne quest). Resolution: fixed
  • Some lootable corpses may look unnatural. Resolution: fixed.
  • Lighting setup issues at Sepulcher of Forgotten Heroes. Resolution: fixed.
  • Some players were able to acquire unlimited amount of gold in the Storyteller's dialogue. Resolution: fixed.

Items
  • Necklace of Double Crosses doesn't add damage bonus to melee attacks. Resolution: fixed.

User Interfaces
  • Camera movement keys remapping doesn't works. Resolution: fixed (the rare bug when the camera starts moving on its own should be fixed too).
  • No way to check the animal companions stats. Resolution: animal companions sheet is now available by selecting the creature an pressing "C" (default binding).
  • An item may be incorrectly added to the sell list while clicking on mass-trading options at Vendor UI. Resolution: fixed.
  • Mass-trading options doesn't work correctly at Vendor UI - only visible items are added to sell list. Resolution: fixed.
  • The weight value may appear incorrect in sell list at Vendor UI. Resolution: fixed.
  • Hit points on the party portraits may not be updated under certain conditions. Resolution: fixed.
  • The issue with adjusting the party formation direction while moving the mouse with right button pressed. Resolution: fixed.

Kingdom
  • Several kingdom events in Troll Trouble and Season of Bloom chapters deal damage to kingdom stats less often.
  • Region claiming visualization is adjusted.

Classes
  • Scaled Fists receives their Draconic Fury ability at 4th level despite the description stating that they should have received it at 3rd. Resolution: Scaled Fist now receives Draconic Fury at 3rd level. Any Scaled Fist of already 3rd level will receive the Draconic Fury ability immediately upon loading the game.
  • Dueling Mastery requires Dodge instead of Weapon Finesse and did not give proper Shield Bonus to AC and initiative bonus. Resolution: fixed.
  • Back to Back feat does not work. Resolution: fixed.
  • Sword Saint Magus bonus to AC from Canny Defense does not recalculate when Intelligence were changing (recalculates only on level ups). Resolution: fixed.
  • Clerics used to have two copies of Raise Dead on 5th level of their spells, one of those copies without a name. Resolution: unnamed copy of Raise Dead was removed from clerics spell list.
  • Armored Swiftness applies extra +5 speed on each reload. Resolution: fixed.
  • Guidance works more than once for skillchecks. Resolution: fixed.

Misc
  • Aasimars don't get Celestial Resistance bonus. Resolution: fixed.
  • Disintegrated units are invisible after a resurrection. Resolution: fixed.
  • Use Magic Device DC for scrolls is 20 plus scroll's caster level. We considered it too high, especially since some scrolls like Remove Blindness have higher caster levels intentionally. Resolution: DC is changed to 20 plus scroll's spell level.
  • Jaethal's camping ability 'Undead Guardians' produces more than two skeletons. Resolution: fixed.
  • New pack of localization fixes for FR, DE, ZH.

System
  • There is an issue with changing Language and Graphic settings on some systems. Resolution: fixed.
  • Character doll appearance and some other visual elements spontaneously reset to default state. Resolution: fixed.
  • The graphic options resets to defaults every time the game starts. Resolution: fixed.

We are following closely all the discussions considering game difficulty and some other system mechanics. We will keep informing you about our ideas behind the game structure (a couple of updates are about to be posted in the nearest days). And for sure we will keep watching the specific cases that could be breaking game experience and will closely examine them.

Rose Red

Oct 26, 2017
I'm loving this game so much but currently having two issues:

- How can I get more than 5 kingdom advisor slots? Quest is telling me to do that next but no idea how.

- In the hunting ground quest I can find the Wyvern (killed by the travellers) and the Owlbear (killed by me) but not the third dire beast even if I scour the whole map. any idea what to do there?

Rose Red

Oct 26, 2017
I would definitely wait a few patches, yeah. But this game is insanely good past the bugginess. Even in this state it's beating stuff like Tyranny and Pillars for me and feels on par with classics.

Mind you, it's not for everyone. Some of the time limits are harsh and I've had some insanely unfair-feeling fights. But still, amazing game.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes

- How can I get more than 5 kingdom advisor slots? Quest is telling me to do that next but no idea how.

- In the hunting ground quest I can find the Wyvern (killed by the travellers) and the Owlbear (killed by me) but not the third dire beast even if I scour the whole map. any idea what to do there?

- An advisor will tell you they need help at some point and ask you to appoint someone. General will want a Warden etc... Just need to wait, raising the stat to above 20 or 30 probably helps. I have 8 atm.

- Should be right at the top maybe 1/4 of the way from the left edge. Those bards are fighting it and it kills them.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Reading a lot of comments about how the game completely falls apart in acts 4 and 5 (to the point of being unplayable), so yea definitely wait for some patches.

The foundation is incredibly solid though, if they get this puppy polished up, it's going to be a helluva game.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Reading a lot of comments about how the game completely falls apart in acts 4 and 5 (to the point of being unplayable), so yea definitely wait for some patches.

The foundation is incredibly solid though, if they get this puppy polished up, it's going to be a helluva game.
Hmm, how so, it is because the difficulty/padded stats shenanigans or just bugs?

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
So after giving this game about 30ish hours, I'm definitely split on the difficulty. On one hand, the inner purist in me really dislikes how they've inflated some monster stats. I've DMed a Kingmaker game up to about the midway point of the campaign (the players were level 10 exactly) and I honestly would like a completely faithful interpretation of those rules, even if it is on the easy side.

On the other hand, every fight that I've had in this game that has been truly difficult has all been optional. The main quest fights have all been very doable and enemies have only seemed to have mild inflation of stats. The truly egregious fights with nutty souped up owlbears with the stats of Ancient Red Dragons have been tucked off to the side and aren't the objective of any quests in a way that makes me kind of understand them as bonus hard mode boss fights or things you are supposed to come back to later. I even have been able to beat most of these at lower level by spamming CC. This isn't a pen and paper game so these kind of random 'fuck you' enemies are less unfair when the punishment is just a reload that, if you're like me and quick save constantly, isn't that far back. It's something of a crpg tradition in some sense even. Who doesn't remember walking into the Ankhegs north of the Friendly Arm Inn and getting your party TPKed at level 1?

I guess I mostly just wish that these fights were telegraphed better. If there was a knowledge check you could do at range to try and determine an enemy's level relative to your party, I think this complaint would pretty much disappear immediately for me.

Last edited:

Rose Red

Oct 26, 2017
Rose Red misread your post. The third is a venomous hydra, should be around the bottom of the swampy centre section. It does move around.

Oh no. I killed the poison hydra but it didn't drop a body part. Guess I'll really just shelve this for a while and play AC when it comes out instead and wait for patches. I don't want to ruin this campaign since I really like my character too.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Today's hotfix broke the game in new and exciting ways.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/announcements/detail/2940179248248985616

Dear Pathfinders,
Unfortunately, there is a problem with the Windows version of the hotfix we've just uploaded. While the Mac and Linux versions function properly, the Windows build doesn't have 80% of the fixes we've implemented since Monday. For those who want to know the details, the main issue is that at character generation and level-up UI, the list of spells have become invisible. The list is still there, you can still use them and click on them, but you cannot really see them except for the tooltips.
This happened due to a bug in our infrastructure, and, while we've already tracked it down and dealt with it, it will take several hours until the issue is completely resolved. As we speak, the servers at our studio are compiling the correct version of the hotfix for Windows. Once again, this issue should not concern our Mac and Linux users – as far as we know, all is fine in their versions of the hotfix. We are very sorry for the inconvenience, and we're doing our best to get it right this time.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Minor spoilers that should avoid the issue with the Giant.

You can kill the goblins and giant (evil) and not let Nok-Nok resolve the situation (good) and that should stop the buggy event from happening.
Cool, I'll keep it in mind.

Yeah, this is what I always feared. The first 3 acts have been playable since the beta, so lots of bugs would have been reported already. But the later acts are absolutely new, and the only ones who can test them are the devs themselves, and there's not enough time to test leading up to release.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
How much time do you get before trolls destroy your kingdom? I read someone say they destroyed him and he had no indication it was going to happen.

've gotten 2 events about trolls, the first which I successfully responded to and the second which I am currently responding to. I've done the troll quest all the way to the point where I am confronting the troll king, and he's too tough for me at level 7. Im nervous about going out to do other things if delaying killing him will be a game over. It's also weird that there is no timer on the quest to kill him when not doing so somehow results in a game over?

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017

You unlock advisors by getting your starting stats, save for economy, to 60 each. At that point your current advisor will come in saying they are swamped and need you to appoint a sub-advisor for the stat.

As for the hunting ground quest, it is currently bugged. General theory is that if you encounter the Wyvern then it destroys the quest, making it seem like you already completed it, even though you did not. You can still progress in the game if so.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
How much time do you get before trolls destroy your kingdom? I read someone say they destroyed him and he had no indication it was going to happen.

've gotten 2 events about trolls, the first which I successfully responded to and the second which I am currently responding to. I've done the troll quest all the way to the point where I am confronting the troll king, and he's too tough for me at level 7. Im nervous about going out to do other things if delaying killing him will be a game over. It's also weird that there is no timer on the quest to kill him when not doing so somehow results in a game over?
Yeah, I don't think there's a timer for that quest. I've also heard of that situation so I kinda rushed for it due to that.

I beat him with a level 8 party, but I had to turned the difficulty all the way down. I'm not risking my kingdom for delaying the quest.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Are these troll events supposed to stop after you kill the troll king?

They're a bit overtuned, considering how they're pretty damaging to your stability, take nearly a month to resolve, and you can only have one military advisor deal with them at a time in the beginning.

How the hell do you regain stability?

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
They must be working round the clock to get these patches out one after the other. Should have delayed the release for a bit.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Last edited:

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I was prepared for the Fangberry quest, I still had trouble with the swarms. Most AOE options will hit your party members too, and the str/dex damage is pretty killer.

I tried camping just outside the cave and... that was a bad idea. Got attacked by more spiders.

At least my aasimar can lesser restoration 1/day, so that cuts down on some of the str damage.

My MC, a wizard, still isn't all that useful at Lv2 (except on skill checks), but I think that's supposed to happen. He has 5 spells a day, so once he's cast enlarge person and mage armor that's almost half his "usefulness" gone (at least the mage armor lasts a long time). Burning hands is powerful, but hard to avoid hitting your friends with. Looking forward to later spells that will make him more useful.

I've seen people recommend dual-classing with some levels of Rogue to get sneak attack dice on touch attack spells. I might do that in place of Lv4. It does seem that unlike other classes, there isn't a huge benefit to pushing wizard all the way to 20.

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
How do sneak attacks work?
I think the idea behind the rogue/wizard sneak attack bonus is:

-Rogues get sneak attack whenever the target would lose their Dex AC bonus (sometimes this is called "flat footed"
-Many wizard spells are touch attack spells, which ignore Dex AC bonus, so this counts

Normally, Rogues sneak attack by flanking an opponent (with another character, e.g. a fighter also adjacent to the target) or by catching that opponent off guard. I think Rogues can also sneak attack at range through some feats, but I'm not sure how/whether that works in this game.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I think the idea behind the rogue/wizard sneak attack bonus is:

-Rogues get sneak attack whenever the target would lose their Dex AC bonus (sometimes this is called "flat footed"
-Many wizard spells are touch attack spells, which ignore Dex AC bonus, so this counts

Normally, Rogues sneak attack by flanking an opponent (with another character, e.g. a fighter also adjacent to the target) or by catching that opponent off guard. I think Rogues can also sneak attack at range through some feats, but I'm not sure how/whether that works in this game.

Yeah I'm definitely seeing my rogue wizard getting sneak attacks on her cantrip ranged spells.

So most likely she will get them if she attacks with a cantrip on an enemy that is already engaged?

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm definitely seeing my rogue wizard getting sneak attacks on her cantrip ranged spells.

So most likely she will get them if she attacks with a cantrip on an enemy that is already engaged?
She should get them all of the time with most cantrips and some higher level spells as long as they say "touch attack" in the description. They shouldn't need to be engaged in combat (so she would probably be pretty effective at taking down enemy wizards at range).

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
I see even in this hotfix you can't see which spells your character can choose when leveling up. So many bugs.