• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
BSoD posted screenshots of splatoon in the discord and it looks real fuckin good

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
1. This is not "full" Ray Tracing like you see with RTX games. This is a hack working with limited available data. But still awesome. Especially in certain games.

2. People saying they aren't impressed by it this far? Wut. It's the single most transformative effect we have seen in decades.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
It looks pretty damn different in many places so I'm not understanding a lot of these comments not able to tell much difference.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The atomic heart or metro exodus demos make it clear why we need proper ray tracing.

Better lighting means parts of the crew 2 especially at night would look even more amazing.

I really like las vegas and harlem at night in the crew.
It will be awesome in a few generations when the ray tracing hit isn't so big, but for now they just seem like more of touring/sight seeing graphics effect, like the old Skyrim DOF screen shot ENB settings. Big hit on performance, not that suitable for gameplay, but amazing for screen shots. Until then, faking it looks gorgeous, and plays very well.

Oct 27, 2017
Let's see if you can notice the difference this way

rtxoff1abkh1.png

rtxon1y8kzd.png

rtxoff2dnjeq.png

rtxon21xk8m.png

rtxoff3d7jsc.png

rtxon36ikmp.png

rtxoff4itke8.png

rtxon4yzjr3.png

fersnake

Nov 17, 2017
Guatemala
everytime i see thing like this and just get angry becase Nintendo is never gonna do this if they keep delivering a weak hardware every gen.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most impressive. Some situations are not ideal though, especially with the overblown bloom.

People saying they aren't impressed by it this far? Wut. It's the single most transformative effect we have seen in decades.
Remember the "720p is all we need anyway?" from last gen? Or how "4K is an overkill and we don't need it"?

It's all about "I can't have it so it's meh and irrelevant for me." But as soon as they get their hands on it, they'll shout it from the roof on how great it is.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Like a lot of these mods, some parts look really good and others make the contrast and saturation look disgusting and ruin the intended look.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA

It's worth noting that SonicEther's Minecraft Shaders do have access to far more data than ReShade does.

Minecraft Pathtracing Shaders for example can reflect objects not visible in screenspace and can use PBR data (if available as part of the resource pack) to handle reflectivity, neither are things that ReShade could replicate to the same fidelty as a postprocessing injection (I think).

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Looks like shit in Mario Kart but nice enough in BotW although I gotta say Nintendo did a pretty good job faking their lighting.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is more of a huge massive leap to ambient occlusion right? Its cool that the light looks like is bouncing correctly but im more impressed by the depth that the AO brings to those BOTW shots.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the main thing i get from all these PC Raytracing mods is that devs have gotten really fucking good at faking good lighting. i cannot tell the difference.
It's also important to realize that materials matter quite a bit too. These are being applies to games with materials/maps/tesselation not intended to work alongside it. But I do agree.

Nov 14, 2017
It's also important to realize that materials matter quite a bit too. These are being applies to games with materials/maps/tesselation not intended to work alongside it. But I do agree.
More than that, the shader is only guessing at material properties by looking at the final scene, so even if used in a game with PBR materials it wouldn't be directly using the information from those materials.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The laval shot and Zora's domain in BotW are great, as well as the entirety of the Mario kart bit, although I feel like the colors in the Splatoon level actually pop a bit more with it off which I like the look of a bit more.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This seems to be missing a lot of stuff that the other modes out there have, there's no self casting shadows or anything, the global illumination seems to be very very toned down, you barely see any light cast when things are very close, things like the moon alin Mario kart isn't casting anything, etc.

I mean it's a dope start but it feels very rudimentary.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not familiar with how Reshade works but if it is a shader as implied by the name, does that mean this is just screen-space? So kind of like fancy SSAO?

Yeah, just screen space. Considering Cemu's graphic pack functionality can freely adjust the aspect ratio in a bunch of games like BOTW without any kind of occlusion culling or other issues, it'd be interesting if someone could trick the game into rendering more of the world and doing fancy techniques with all that extra info.

From the author's Patreon
I want to clarify a few questions from the community regarding the technical side of my shader:​
What I'm doing is ray tracing in screen space, tracing rays against the depth buffer (a data buffer that contains the information how far an object is away, as opposed to the color buffer which tells you what color the object has and what you usually see in any game). When compared to DXR, it has several limitations: anything behind another object does not contribute, anything outside the screen does not contribute, backfaces do not contribute. The benefits of this shader is that it can run on every game and GPU and it's a step up from regular SSAO. I hope this serves as a sneak peek at what DXR ray tracing can do and why everyone in vfx can't wait to get real ray tracing for their games.​

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
The lightly lit areas with the Path Tracing enabled are extremely washed out and light in appearance, which is probably a limitation of the shader not being able to properly interact with each game's actual lighting. Makes everything look really weird and disjointed. When its the path tracing alone it looks fine, but added on top of the existing lighting it looks very out of place. If there was a better way to make it interact with existing lighting, this thing might actually be a net improvement in my opinion.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Honestly more than anything this goes to show what an incredible job Nintendo did replicating dynamic lighting effects in their recent HD games.

Oct 31, 2017
Some stunning results in there - the CEMU version of this game is going to wind up looking absolutely bonkers in the end. Waiting for someone to start running some of the lower-res textures through ESRGAN.
I don't have a card that can do pathtracing but man...just playing my favorite game of all time in 4k/60fps and being able to edit all of the color palettes and stuff is like playing a new title. Having beaten the game so many times I made other adjustments like no weapon durability, unlimited arrows, unlimited stamina and it just feels like a crazy fun, almost arcade action romp. No weapon durability? I'm shield surfing all over the place now. I still think the original design choices in BotW were best, but playing BotW "Remix" is so gratifying.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, I don't like Reshade's post processing implementation of "global illumination". To me the inaccuracies and rendering quirks are often evident, light not actually behaving realistically like true ray traced global illumination, and the shader breaking engine tailored depth of field effects as you can see the ambiant occlusion gradient push through unaffected. It's the same problem some engines have when forcing ambient occlusions via Nvidia cards, where the SSAO/HBAO doesn't know when to cull itself and instead renders in full complexity on surfaces through smoke, depth of field, and other effects that are supposed to reduce clarity.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I don't have a card that can do pathtracing but man...just playing my favorite game of all time in 4k/60fps and being able to edit all of the color palettes and stuff is like playing a new title. Having beaten the game so many times I made other adjustments like no weapon durability, unlimited arrows, unlimited stamina and it just feels like a crazy fun, almost arcade action romp. No weapon durability? I'm shield surfing all over the place now. I still think the original design choices in BotW were best, but playing BotW "Remix" is so gratifying.

That honestly sounds like a frickin' blast, I need to get a decent PC sometime and play around with a few emulators.