• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Thanks to the release of Path Tracing and Ray Tracing Shaders for use with Reshade. Path Traced Global Illumination is now possible in Cemu Emulator. In this video I am showcasing how well this shader works in games like The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 Zelda BOTW 0:01 Splatoon 6:56 Mario Kart 8 9:32"

cool video, in some areas is really impressive the improvement

Redmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Since cemu will soon support Vulcan, I wonder how tall a task to using the full fledged hardware tracing would be.

The overall Reshade shader that's being used in all these traced videos doesn't do the tech any service.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
I am loving all these games getting some form of path tracing added. It doesn't always look great, but holy cow when it does.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the main thing i get from all these PC Raytracing mods is that devs have gotten really fucking good at faking good lighting. i cannot tell the difference.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Looks great - and the fact that Raytraced GI can be done as a shader effect is pretty mindblowing. How expensive is this kind of implementation vs. the real one found in new Metro game for example?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I must be blind, because try as I might, I'm not seeing much of a difference, or I'm not sure what I should be looking at. Especially in BOTW's case (just because I'm the most familiar with it from playing it and all the technical stuff covered in other threads here), the original lighting implementation is damn good to begin with.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty cool that this stuff can be done in reshade but it really doesn't hold a candle to what can be done in minecraft

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
My second play through of this game will definitely be on PC. Nintendo will never make a remaster with all these improvements, sadly.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
It's most noticeable when there's colored light that doesn't affect objects around it without the shader, otherwise the games are already doing a pretty damn good job!

Magicraft

Dec 1, 2017
Not much of a difference that I can notice but is definitely nice to see. That really shows how good Nintendo artstyle is on their games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I must be blind, because try as I might, I'm not seeing much of a difference, or I'm not sure what I should be looking at. Especially in BOTW's case (just because I'm the most familiar with it from playing it and all the technical stuff covered in other threads here), the original lighting implementation is damn good to begin with.
try 3:50 and 4:35

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
The differences to me are obvious. You have things like those plates and cubes in BOTW that radiate the light. - in the RT shader footage they are actually dynamically lighting the walls in the room. Same with lava, which is dynamically lighting the rocks next to it. Or the reflectance of the green grass onto the cubes in Splatoon. Lots of nice ambient shadows are added too. It's all very cool and adds an extra dimension to visuals.

Last edited:

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not familiar with how Reshade works but if it is a shader as implied by the name, does that mean this is just screen-space? So kind of like fancy SSAO?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
This will be big when they add even more lighting improvements. Think Minecraft.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Some stunning results in there - the CEMU version of this game is going to wind up looking absolutely bonkers in the end. Waiting for someone to start running some of the lower-res textures through ESRGAN.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Looks great - and the fact that Raytraced GI can be done as a shader effect is pretty mindblowing. How expensive is this kind of implementation vs. the real one found in new Metro game for example?
Someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is pathtracing done in screenspace which is definitely much less expensive than full on raytracing which gets information even from things not visible by the camera.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
the main thing i get from all these PC Raytracing mods is that devs have gotten really fucking good at faking good lighting. i cannot tell the difference.
Reshade is faking it's ray tracing too, that's why it doesn't look that amazing, real ray tracing like RTX will be a game changer if it becomes a thing next gen.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I get the impression that much of the inte ded I direct lighting is already there in the game (The glow of the lava, for example, which is an area light in the game) but the RT simply has a more intense effect. And while some scenes show a more accurate effect, others show the typical artifacts of screen space implementations.

Also, I don't think the holograms of the tablet's magic tools are supposed to emit light, though it does look cool.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I'm seeing a lot of videos with Ray Tracing in games and i'm still not convinced by it. I have yet to see anything that excite me about it. Maybe i need to see some games built with Ray tracing in mind.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
nice and subtle. it's crazy what they've accomplished with cemu overall and these botw modders.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017

Nah I can think of like two games that have dynamic ToD and still manage to have accurate lighting in every scenario

Even games with static ToD can be very inconsistent in this regard

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the time in this video all I'm seeing is the game's natural contrast being washed out by a lighting effect that wasn't part of the game's art design, adding extra global illumination to the game's baked-in global illumination. Not a very good demo.

Oct 26, 2017
This feels like the bloom trend all over again. Things are way too overblown and brightly lit for my tastes.
Yeah when it's done via Reshade that's pretty much how I feel.
It's often doubling up lighting that the game is already accounting for, and it's being applied over the top of everything when it should really only be affecting the ambient part of the rendering path.
It's a neat feature to insert natively into a renderer, a lot of the problems could be fixed that way.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
I'm seeing a lot of videos with Ray Tracing in games and i'm still not convinced by it. I have yet to see anything that excite me about it. Maybe i need to see some games built with Ray tracing in mind.
These shader things usually look worse than the actual game

Check out Quake 2 RTX. Its actual raytracing and not just an ugly shader.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
My second play through of this game will definitely be on PC. Nintendo will never make a remaster with all these improvements, sadly.

Why would you say that? Nintendo did extensive work on TP and WW when they were remastered for the Wii U. And if Nintendo did it, they would actually build the game's lighting to take path tracing into account.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
SO far I'm thoroughly disappointed in BOTW. What it is treating as sources of light is so specific it doesn't work. I'm hoping Splatoon looks amazing.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
mostly just looks different, not particularly better. some of the scenes had a subtle difference that look better when i was specifically looking for it. doesn't seem to be big enough of a difference that id notice it casually playing.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know what is best Cemu cpu and gfx card? Should i wait for ryzen 3xxx and rdna cards?

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Especially in The Crew 2, everytime I play that game I wonder why we need ray tracing. That game looks beautiful with it's faked tracing.

The atomic heart or metro exodus demos make it clear why we need proper ray tracing.

Better lighting means parts of the crew 2 especially at night would look even more amazing.

I really like las vegas and harlem at night in the crew.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

I've looked at metro using it and the differences is staggering in areas. Same thing with hdr.. I wonder what peeps are looking for when they say they aren't impressed.