• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
ah yes, the good ol skill tree.

6368316624122360769234575.png

How many of them is just like+5 strength or something boring?

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that'd be a game-uninstalling moment. I wonder what their reasoning is for not allowing people respec options in at least the standard mode?

There are respec options. Enemies will randomly drop orbs of regret which you can use to recover 1 passive point. Playing through the main story mode, a number of quests will give you respec points as well. Getting enough points to refund your entire passive tree is expensive, but you can easily get a few dozen points to change things around.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Still fucking hate doing the campaign though.

And doing it for multiple characters in season, it's fucking awful.

Oct 27, 2017
I played POE briefly, peaked at the skilltree, and decided it wasn't worth my time to learn it. One the the main reasons I felt overwhelmed and didn't bother playing the game seriously.

butwhy.gif

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
"My solution"? Where exactly did I suggest a solution? The reason is not easy to respec is to artificially extend play time. Which is what it is. But lets not pretend that its to aid experimentation because more fluid respecs would obviously be a bigger boost to experimentation. If I've spent, lets say twenty hours, getting a build that works its clearly going to be easier to experiment if I dont have to waste time levelling a new character or blowing orbs of regret. Even if they did introduce respeccing you'd still likely have to level at least one of each class anyway if you were the kind of player who was into trying lots of builds. Honestly, I'm sure everyone on both sides of the respeccing discussion have had it plenty of times before and arent changing their minds so I'll bow out of it here.

Your solution as in free respec.

I'm glad you see it's a tried argument that neither of either us have influence on. I think it should be easier but basic reasons of balance or experimentation which GGG has debated at their own forums this solution is better than arpgs that you're locked in to all your points for the most part. I don't need to pretend anything it's not my opinion it's an opinion of the developer who has control over the game we are discussing.

I even admitted it's to make you play more as attaining levels isn't easy in poe. That requries time and not dying. Lets put this in perspective the time I could easily have 100 more paragon points in d3 after having 2000 already is easier than the time required for me to take my character from 96-98 in poe.

Last edited:

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
I actually really like the skill tree and customization stuff.
I don't really like the story or leveling, though.
How many of them is just like+5 strength or something boring?
Really, most of them are that or like + 3% something - all of the small nodes.
I don't think the skill tree is that complicated(just get life and one of the attack stats), it's just big.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I tried this, but no respec with how easy you can fuck up a build, yeah no. Too much time lost if you want to experiment things.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
This looks like a fucking galaxy.

Probably GREAT for people who can dig into diversity, but I'm someone who struggles on what direction to go on a Sphere Grid in FFX. :p

It's honestly very similar. Each character starts off at a different point in the tree and very clearly the skills are tailored for builds in those classes, which they can then branch off to other specialties as they get stronger.

It looks intimidating, certainly, but I was able to get through the story content with a very simplistic build in the end, having started and dropped the game in its early phases and then picking it up again after they expanded from 5 to 10 acts. It actually became more fun for me at that point.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Path of Exile is basically Diablo with the passive tree from FFX and the materia system from FF7. It's great.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Eh... Too much complexity for the sake of it isnt a good thing, thats just my opinion anyway.

Especially when its just layers and layers of complexity over a combat and first acts that i find not very exciting.
Telling it like it is. There's some interesting systems design in this game but it's buried beneath some really boring gameplay, IMO.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Normally I'm one for gameplay diversity but I'm not gonna lie, the only way I will ever play this if they implement preset builds that unlock skills automatically ala Diablo 3. Nobody in this day and age has time for a game where misleveling is possible without free respeccing.
There are numerous places to find builds and programs to load them into. It's not a big deal you can have your entire tree pre-planned in minutes before you even make a character.

They won't dumb it down because it's the diversity in builds is a huge reason it's playerbase loves the game. It allows huge diversity in builds instead of having 3-4 cookie cutter builds per class and it's why you'll see a hundred different very viable end-game builds for each class to fit every type of play style. The skill tree isn't intimidating if you spend a few minutes researching it

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I tried this, but no respec with how easy you can fuck up a build, yeah no. Too much time lost if you want to experiment things.

Again tired complaint. The passive tree requires verfication before your points set and become permanent.

The first ten acts are literally the experiment and even early mapping. You want to experiment do so and while points do matter you can easily clear up to act ten with certain staple gear on your character.

Points helps but I've gotten up to kitava with 20-50 undistrubited points and clearing the game on easy leveling gear no tabulas on 2-4 linked gems, I'm not a pro at poe in any sense. Not helpful the first run through you do unless you get mega lucky but it's a loot game and if you don't play it getting around isn't gonna easy.

You can't experiment if you don't have gems and haven't made it to the library to enable quest that lets you do so or you meet lilly roth. Endgame lets you get most of the gems for a low price all in one place. So logically explain to me and the rest of us english speaking users how you can experiment if you have nothing or next to nothing to experiment with? Seems that's more of an issue to your problem than with the fact you could screw up. Your points are huge but I can argue from experience or showing plenty of youtube them points mean crap till later.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
LCGeek doing work for the PoE community in this thread.

I'm laughing at all the people talking about respecing. I always end up respecing a few of my characters each league and its quite easy to do it.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
If you consider the gameplay boring in POE, ya build sucks.

Looking forward to even more bonker builds

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
PoE is not that difficult for a beginner, you can clear the beginning content (like all the acts) with almost any build you throw together, but it will completely fall apart the more you progress into end game.

as you gain more knowledge in the game, you create more builds for yourself, and the better you get, the further you get to progress in end game content in the league etc. of course items (any type, including uniques) play a huge role in making really interesting builds as well.

the whole point of the game is making builds, and seeing how far you can progress. the game is really flexible (more so than any other) allowing you to create your own class and build. if you don't like making builds then it's just not that type of game for you, if you just want to follow a build, it'll be fun for 1 playthrough or so but then what? if you just want to experience the game through all the acts that's perfectly fine but then you can just do whatever you want, you can complete all the acts with any hacked together build.

Last edited:

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
The passive tree looks very intimidating but it isn't complex at all. You can sum it up in three points

1. Take the shortest path to your chosen keystone passive nodes (the biggest ones).
2. Pick up relevant nodes along the way.
2. Don't go glasscannon.

You'll get to end game in any build with those.

People worry about the little nodes (Like STR+10), but they don't really matter in the long run. It's very likely you'll never hit levels that will require you to min max stats for gem requirements, because you'll probably trying a new character/build by then.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Again tired complaint. The passive tree requires verfication before your points set and become permanent.

The first ten acts are literally the experiment and even early mapping. You want to experiment do so and while points do matter you can easily clear up to act ten with certain staple gear on your character.

Points helps but I've gotten up to kitava with 20-50 undistrubited points and clearing the game on easy leveling gear no tabulas on 2-4 linked gems, I'm not a pro at poe in any sense. Not helpful the first run through you do unless you get mega lucky but it's a loot game and if you don't play it getting around isn't gonna easy.

You can't experiment if you don't have gems and haven't made it to the library to enable quest that lets you do so or you meet lilly roth. Endgame lets you get most of the gems for a low price all in one place. So logically explain to me and the rest of us english speaking users how you can experiment if you have nothing or next to nothing to experiment with? Seems that's more of an issue to your problem than with the fact you could screw up. Your points are huge but I can argue from experience or showing plenty of youtube them points mean crap till later.

You are not realistically looking at this at all. A NEW player to PoE is not going to have this mindset in the slightest. They are going to spend all their points when they get them and try to make their character more powerfu as they go along. Some of them will even need to spend points as they go as well because they won't have a very good character because, as he said, it is actually pretty easy to fuck up. Lots of skill gems drop and even more gear, so yes it is entirely possible to experiment with stuff before you complete the story.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
You are not realistically looking at this at all. A NEW player to PoE is not going to have this mindset in the slightest. They are going to spend all their points when they get them and try to make their character more powerfu as they go along. Some of them will even need to spend points as they go as well because they won't have a very good character because, as he said, it is actually pretty easy to fuck up. Lots of skill gems drop and even more gear, so yes it is entirely possible to experiment with stuff before you complete the story.

Most new players quit according to statistics, so I don't need to consider as most wipe out and don't even get to basic labbing.

Also I'm not addressing new players I'm addresing familiar players with bad mindsets.

Never said people couldn't experiment either literally just said you could in the reply you're replying to.. Just sayin if you approach the game and only see points as the way up a lot of builds will make no sense. Some builds are about the loot you literally can't entertain experimenting if you lack gems or gear that means a lot more than passive points. Considering they aren't even mentioning ascendancy points I feel it's pertinent to point out why those feelings or thoughts are perhaps misguided.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
The skill tree is only really easy to mess up if you're poor at forming builds IMO. A huge chunk of the skill tree is stuff that's specific to weapon and damage types. There really isn't any reason why you'd go say a Bow damage wheel when you're a elemental damage based caster. Getting to end game, gear and skill gem selection is more important and it's easier to stuff up on them.

While the passive tree isn't anywhere near difficult as it is intimidating I've always thought that GGG should come up with some starter builds to lower the barrier for entry. Integrate them into the actual game, break up the tree into levels (20/40/60) like a lot of decent guides out there do and balance so that they complete white maps on a budget. Just keep them around and balanced each league.

Though for anyone looking into jumping into PoE, this is a great league to do it. Last league they made some pretty radical end game changes and it needed some ironing out. The league will have them plus more changes, making endgame even better.

Harnzyy

Mar 8, 2018
Yikes, that is terrifying and thats from someone that has put a few 100 hours into PoE. They should speed up the levelling, remove the respec costs etc and encourage people to try out interesting builds.
This is probs one of the worst things I've seen suggested. Except for the leveling speed up.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is probs one of the worst things I've seen suggested. Except for the leveling speed up.
If not remove it, just make is easier. Following some build guide, only to find out GGG nerf one of the weapons/items that made that build viable sucks. Thankfully they reset on big patches but not being able to experiment outside of strick build options is tiring. Hopefully that make the change for PoE2.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Yikes, that is terrifying and thats from someone that has put a few 100 hours into PoE. They should speed up the levelling, remove the respec costs etc and encourage people to try out interesting builds.

I played like 15 hours recently (got to act 5 lvl 45 or something) and those are my exact same feelings.

Leveling feels like it takes ages for a game youre supposed to reset every 3 months (I actually stopped because I was sorta-kinda liking it but not loving it so if im going to jump on the new season I might aswell stop now because replaying these first 4 acts is already filling me with dread, let alone replaying 10 acts) and I HATE that you can only respec point by point and that its a limited resource to even do it.

Also, and not to rag on anyone, but my limited exposure to PoE fans (I mean hardcore fans) is that they are very pushy and very "no no you see its GOOD that it doesnt have those quality of life things modern games have" about it. I guess you could say that about any hardcore fanbase I guess but it just makes me not want to get into it more tbh.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I still dont get how leagues work btw.

Is it like ladder and non-ladder in D2? Like as in you cant bring your old char into a new season? Because that would, once I start up my PoE playthrough (which will be some time before PoE2 comes out), lead to me not even bothering with the league stuff.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Is it like ladder and non-ladder in D2? Like as in you cant bring your old char into a new season? Because that would, once I start up my PoE playthrough (which will be some time before PoE2 comes out), lead to me not even bothering with the league stuff.

That's correct. Leagues generally last about 3 months, have a new league gimmick (in this one - it's the delirium mists & these special jewels that let you create new passive tree branches), and everyone starts off fresh (no using old characters or old gear). After leagues end, all your league characters and items are transferred to standard mode where you can play them for as long as you like.

As someone who has played Path of Exile for a while, it takes me about 20 hours to reach endgame (complete all 10 story acts and level up to say LV70-75) in a brand new SSF (solo-self found so no buying good stuff from other players) league if I'm taking my time (doing the league content, doing all the important sidequests, plotting out my character as I go). People who know how to speedrun it can do it in under 5 hours if they focus on just getting to endgame ASAP. If you're brand new to the game, but a competent Action/RPG player, you should be able to do it in under 30 hours, especially if you're in a trade league where you can "cheat" and trade for good leveling gear. It's certainly doable to do this once every 3 months, but if you just want to play one character for a long time, you can just stick to standard mode.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played this game when it first released and I quit after an hour. Looking to get back into it. How complex is it for new players?

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
This game needs an adventure mode. I hated having to play that beginning section over and over and over

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017

Correct, you cannot bring old chars into a new ladder season. The whole point of ladders are economy wipes because within 1-2 months even casual players can be doing any endgame stuff and almost items become worthless unless you find a godly rare, you 6-link something or you find certain meta uniques. Also the ladders sort of work as a beta test for content, if it ends up being good it gets added to the "core" game and "standard" chars can use it.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017

If you think we got nothing to experiment on the first run and not enough gems to do so, we played a vastly different game, so I won't argue with you lol. I'll just favor games with a smoother approach.

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
I just follow the builds on PoE builds. I am a necromancer and the game is a breeze. I barely push any buttons.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I played this game when it first released and I quit after an hour. Looking to get back into it. How complex is it for new players?
If you follow build guides, not that complex. If you jump in and expect the game to help you along, forget it. It has a crazy amount of content now but it's layers upon layers of stuff that can easily get overwhelming.

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020

There's a program called Path of Building that lets you plan out your build in advance. Look for nodes that enhance the skills you use the most and aim for those. A lot of this comes down to what your favorite skill is. Then pick nodes that help with that skill, then pick complementary skills also enhanced by those nodes. That seems to be the best starting point from what I can see.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I love more customization, love POE's tree. I still remember when I first saw it, I was in a bit of shock. Almost 8 years ago, time flies. I remember playing it right before Diablo 3 launched. New computer just to be ready for a Blizzard game for the first time. I heard so much good stuff about Blizzard, and look at me now. Playing POE still, and I'm not even interested in Diablo 4 at all.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
If you think we got nothing to experiment on the first run and not enough gems to do so, we played a vastly different game, so I won't argue with you lol. I'll just favor games with a smoother approach.

I'm saying you have to earn it as in play to get to that point. Some people won't even play to earn gems or gear to experiment on.

Some are arguing because they don't have passives that can't deeper when that's really not the case. Builds are easily loot centric as they can be having passive nodes or ascendancy.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
If you're brand new to the game, but a competent Action/RPG player, you should be able to do it in under 30 hours, especially if you're in a trade league where you can "cheat" and trade for good leveling gear.

This is one of the worst takes i've heard on playing PoE. The single best thing PoE has over other ARPG's is the currency system.

People can play SSF if they want, but i'm getting real sick of people crying about it being cheating when over 90% of the playerbase does not play SSF.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This is one of the worst takes i've heard on playing PoE. The single best thing PoE has over other ARPG's is the currency system.

People can play SSF if they want, but i'm getting real sick of people crying about it being cheating when over 90% of the playerbase does not play SSF.

That's why I put "cheat" in parenthesis - you're clearly not cheating because the default mode allows you to trade with other players. However, you're also clearly breaking the normal power curves when you can give another player a few chaos orbs (a relatively common form of currency) in an exchange for a unique that normally only drops from an endgame boss.

I strongly recommend people try SSF since without it, it just feels like you're farming currency to buy your upgrades. In SSF, drops actually matter and you learn to take advantage of crafting. And it's drastically easier to do SSF these days than it was years ago.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I put "cheat" in parenthesis - you're clearly not cheating because the default mode allows you to trade with other players. However, you're also clearly breaking the normal power curves when you can give another player a few chaos orbs (a relatively common form of currency) in an exchange for a unique that normally only drops from an endgame boss.

I strongly recommend people try SSF since without it, it just feels like you're farming currency to buy your upgrades. In SSF, drops actually matter and you learn to take advantage of crafting. And it's drastically easier to do SSF these days than it was years ago.

I still feel your first paragraph here is misleading. Of the overall amount of unique items in the game, only a select few drop from bosses. Any of the very powerful ones that would trivialize the leveling curve will cost multiple Exalted Orbs. Leveling uniques will do little for a new player going through the Acts for the first time. This is my personal experience though where my friends fed me with good gear my first couple leagues, and I still struggled to understand most of what was going on. 1k hours later I have a completely different experience with PoE.

The other part is learning how to trade properly, which is another crazy learning curve as well....

I probably over-reacted with your "cheating" comment in the original post and for that I apologize. There is a toxic part of the this community that claims if you play trade league, or use any of the meta skills you are basically a worthless pleb who should get good.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Anything that is a green, blue or red "+"
a vast majority of them
I actually really like the skill tree and customization stuff.
I don't really like the story or leveling, though.

Really, most of them are that or like + 3% something - all of the small nodes.
I don't think the skill tree is that complicated(just get life and one of the attack stats), it's just big.

That's a lot less interesting. I guess the picture is flashy.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I like this game but i am getting lost a little after reaching the endgame. Would be cool to have respec item not be so rare.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's correct. Leagues generally last about 3 months, have a new league gimmick (in this one - it's the delirium mists & these special jewels that let you create new passive tree branches), and everyone starts off fresh (no using old characters or old gear). After leagues end, all your league characters and items are transferred to standard mode where you can play them for as long as you like.

As someone who has played Path of Exile for a while, it takes me about 20 hours to reach endgame (complete all 10 story acts and level up to say LV70-75) in a brand new SSF (solo-self found so no buying good stuff from other players) league if I'm taking my time (doing the league content, doing all the important sidequests, plotting out my character as I go). People who know how to speedrun it can do it in under 5 hours if they focus on just getting to endgame ASAP. If you're brand new to the game, but a competent Action/RPG player, you should be able to do it in under 30 hours, especially if you're in a trade league where you can "cheat" and trade for good leveling gear. It's certainly doable to do this once every 3 months, but if you just want to play one character for a long time, you can just stick to standard mode.
Not surprised that someone who plays ssf considers trading "cheating".

If you're someone new to the game, or even just on your first character in a new league, you're not gonna have the currency to "cheat", and you're not even gonna know what items to buy if you had the currency to buy them.

I like this game but i am getting lost a little after reaching the endgame. Would be cool to have respec item not be so rare.
That's why people suggest following builds at least until you get your bearings, that way you don't end up getting near the endgame and realizing you'd need the equivalent of 1 ex worth of orbs of regret to start from scratch.

Follow a solid build, farm the endgame for currency, then you can experiment all you want.

Or just play standard where everything's cheap.

Last edited:

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
There are quests that give respec points, you can go back and do them. by the time you hit end game you can get enough respec points and orbs of regret to redo 1/3-1/2 of your tree I think.

Oct 26, 2017
Not surprised that someone who plays ssf considers trading "cheating".

If you're someone new to the game, or even just on your first character in a new league, you're not gonna have the currency to "cheat", and you're not even gonna know what items to buy if you had the currency to buy them.

That's why people suggest following builds at least until you get your bearings, that way you don't end up getting near the endgame and realizing you'd need the equivalent of 1 ex worth of orbs of regret to start from scratch.

Follow a solid build, farm the endgame for currency, then you can experiment all you want.

Or just play standard where everything's cheap.
I actually find the best time to trade for stuff for "standard builds?"

play the new league acquire some ok currency, when league is ending trade for the stuff you want. for many sellers its a fire sale because lots of people dont play standard. as soon as it hits standard, price gets jacked up

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Or you could just quit the game and wait a year till they overhaul the skill tree and give everyone free full respec.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I still feel your first paragraph here is misleading. Of the overall amount of unique items in the game, only a select few drop from bosses. Any of the very powerful ones that would trivialize the leveling curve will cost multiple Exalted Orbs. Leveling uniques will do little for a new player going through the Acts for the first time. This is my personal experience though where my friends fed me with good gear my first couple leagues, and I still struggled to understand most of what was going on. 1k hours later I have a completely different experience with PoE.

The other part is learning how to trade properly, which is another crazy learning curve as well....

I probably over-reacted with your "cheating" comment in the original post and for that I apologize. There is a toxic part of the this community that claims if you play trade league, or use any of the meta skills you are basically a worthless pleb who should get good.

Nah, you can trivialize Act 1-10 just using 1-4c uniques. Like Goldrim is a really good unique helmet for leveling since it gives you a lot of resists and it sells for 1c later in the league and a few chaos early league. Most of the low level unique weapons can do content around their required level really well and most of those can be picked up for next to nothing.

Anyway, sorry if my comments sounded harsh than I intended them. After playing PoE for a while, I felt like trading leagues just weren't very fun since you know that unless you get insanely lucky, you're never going to get a drop that's better than something you could just go and buy for a cheap price in trade. Not only that, but the game has this great crafting system that you don't really get to experience if you're just saving all your valuable currency to purchase items from other players. In trade league, it just turns into one big treadmill where you try to farm chaos & exalt orbs to buy the equipment you need to do harder content. The items that drop are worthless unless they're valuable enough to sell. But in SSF, you have to make or find all of your upgrades so you have to really be strategic about it. It also forces you to consider synergies that you wouldn't consider in a trading league where you can just grab the same best-in-slot uniques that everybody else running your kind of build is using.

IIR (Increase Item Rarity) & IIQ (Increased Item Quantity) tells a similar story. In trading leagues, IIR is considered practically worthless & IIQ is considered valuable because card drops are only affected by IIQ and some of the div cards are worth a ton of currency, but the vast majority of rares & uniques are considered worthless. But in SSF, IIR is fantastic because you can get a ton of uniques & rares if you have good IIR and a unique that might be considered worthless in a trading league could be best-in-slot for your particular SSF build.

I think the best thing someone starting Path of Exile could do is read a few builds and then make your own build using the principles you learned from looking at successful builds. You should plan to restart several times, especially when you're learning the game, because that's the kind of game this is - even if you make a successful build, there's no guarantee you'll actually like playing it. The game's more like a roguelike where failure is expected than a MMORPG where you play the same character for years. Plus making your own build is half the game.

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Also use something like the path of building app so you can search for nodes and different things to help you plan out builds. It's awesome, also it is useful as you're playing and want to compare the increases of gear or such.