• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck you GGG! I'm not spending 500 bucks on your game again!!! I'm not!

What's the release date for 4.0???

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Damn this is an embarrassment of riches. Comparatively.. no sympathy for Bliz, they had 7 years and reveal D3.

Holy shit there is so much content that I missed the mobile game announcement LOL

"We didn't just farm it out to a 3rd party"

God. Damn.
Am I crazy or is the camera closer to D2 now?
Noticed this as well. Looks good to me

Last edited:

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Heh, Blizzard isn't a Diablo only dev. GGG have 145+ people working on one genre. One franchise. Of course, they will have more content. PoE 2 looks good!

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck you GGG! I'm not spending 500 bucks on your game again!!! I'm not!

I don't even use the mtx-es but I just buy a supporter pack for every league I play just as a thank you for all the joy I've gotten out of the game. Not sure how much I've spent after all this time (played since 2013, although I skip a lot of leagues).

OP
OP
Strakt

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Feels good...

Two awesome arpgs to look forward to (4.0 and Diablo 4) and Lost ark (Which is a hybrid).

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Heh, Blizzard isn't a Diablo only dev. GGG have 145+ people working on one genre. One franchise. Of course, they will have more content. PoE 2 looks good!
But pretty much everything Blizzard makes goes through development hell. They have a massive graveyard, released D3 in the terrible state it was originally in, and basically stopped supporting it entirely for what seems like a product that if not for the massive controversy surrounding them, they wouldn't have even announced this year.

Also, Blizzard has like 4,700 employees.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
can you tell me more about this filter add on to help out a noob

Item filters will make it so you only see drops that are worthwhile, generally they're customizable so you can choose how strict you want the filter to be as well. It helps you from having to wade through dozens and dozens of items every time you clear an area and ensures you'll always know what's worth keeping or at least worth checking out.

I think (?) the game has one by default that you can turn on, but I've always used NeverSink's.

big bas

The Fallen
Jan 2, 2018
Item filters will make it so you only see drops that are worthwhile, generally they're customizable so you can choose how strict you want the filter to be as well. It helps you from having to wade through dozens and dozens of items every time you clear an area and ensures you'll always know what's worth keeping or at least worth checking out.

I think (?) the game has one by default that you can turn on, but I've always used NeverSink's.

thank you very much!!

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I know I'm opening a can of worms and might be slightly derailing a bit, but I think it's incredible the stark differences between GGG's philosophies and blizzards regarding builds. On one hand, you basically have the open source version of an arpg where any build you want could be viable, on the other you have a streamline tunnel vision path to min/max and play the game the way the devs intended. GGG chooses to open builds up even MORE with PoE2 which is just fucking crazy to me. They are acknowledging and celebrating build diversity. Aaaaand we got Kim for diablo 4 telling us that legendaries WILL define your end game. I'm just so damn glad for Chris Wilson. We really don't deserve him.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I know I'm opening a can of worms and might be slightly derailing a bit, but I think it's incredible the stark differences between GGG's philosophies and blizzards regarding builds. On one hand, you basically have the open source version of an arpg where any build you want could be viable, on the other you have a streamline tunnel vision path to min/max and play the game the way the devs intended. GGG chooses to open builds up even MORE with PoE2 which is just fucking crazy to me. They are acknowledging and celebrating build diversity. Aaaaand we got Kim for diablo 4 telling us that legendaries WILL define your end game. I'm just so damn glad for Chris Wilson. We really don't deserve him.

Not all games need to be like that. I've always loved the idea of set classes and roles ever since I opened up my first D&D book. Let them be different and awesome at what they do. There is room for both kinds of ARPG's.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
I really enjoy watching Chris talking about this game, the passion is awesome.

Having had the opportunity to spend some time with him, his genuine love for the genre, their game, and their fans is beyond pretty much beyond any other game executive I've ever met in my 20+ years in the business. The other GGG co-founders are the same.

May 24, 2019
I was just walking past the Aotea Center and saw signage out front for Exilecon. I'd vaguely heard about the game but had no idea it was New Zealand made.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Not all games need to be like that. I've always loved the idea of set classes and roles ever since I opened up my first D&D book. Let them be different and awesome at what they do. There is room for both kinds of ARPG's.

I think you can have set classes and roles while also not having legendaries necessarily define an end game. I do like parts of both Diablo 3-4 and Path of Exile's different takes on the genre. For sure though the way the Diablo 4's team was talking about their item design philosophy was super discouraging for me.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I've always been a Diablo player and I've never really spent much time with PoE, but I'm beginning to think I'm playing the wrong franchise anymore. PoE2 looks great, maybe its time I start playing PoE for a while...

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone clear up some things for me is PoE 4.0 different than PoE 2? And will the mobile version be the most updated version of the game? This all looks great.

Absent Uncle

Oct 25, 2017
Oslo
Can someone clear up some things for me is PoE 4.0 different than PoE 2? And will the mobile version be the most updated version of the game? This all looks great.
4.0 is what PoE 2 was called before today's announcement. It's the same thing, just some people using pre announcement name.

That said it might still be referred to as 4.0 when it comes out as they are continuing support of PoE 1 within the same client

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
4.0 is merely the patch versopm name for PoE 2. They are the same thing.

I don't know much about the mobile version but it doesn't seem to be the same thing as the full PoE game, seems like a condensed down version of it.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017

The mobile version looks like as of now it's own closed off thing. Looks like you solely play maps in the mobile version as of now, no campaign, just hideout+mapping

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've always been a Diablo player and I've never really spent much time with PoE, but I'm beginning to think I'm playing the wrong franchise anymore. PoE2 looks great, maybe its time I start playing PoE for a while...
Depends on what you like in these games. PoE is the type of game designed to be played and replayed for thousand plus hours where as Diablo nowadays is the type of game you have fun for like 20-30 hours until you complete your sets and you get the gist of it.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Purly on esthetics, D4 looks to have better animations, and gfx all around. The parts that where playable looked more handmade and did not have that randomly generated feel to them.

Hope poe2 gets even more love and polish. Think I'll jump in with poe2.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Is it worth jumping into PoE right now or should I wait until the new League starts in December? I've never played it before but I could really use a good loot game right now.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is it worth jumping into PoE right now or should I wait until the new League starts in December? I've never played it before but I could really use a good loot game right now.

I would wait until the league in December at this point, friendo. Depending on how much time you put in you don't want to burn out on earlier game content before the new league.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I would wait until the league in December at this point, friendo. Depending on how much time you put in you don't want to burn out on earlier game content before the new league.
Ahh ok, thanks. So is the start of a new League basically a point to hit reset and start a new character or does previous content carry over between leagues?

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ahh ok, thanks. So is the start of a new League basically a point to hit reset and start a new character or does previous content carry over between leagues?

Yeah, it is basically a reset. You need to create league specific characters to engage in the new league content. Previous characters get rolled into the 'standard' game. When hardcore, league specific characters die they get thrown into 'standard' as well.

I mean, you could always give it a go so you can hit the ground running understanding basic early game stuff but I wouldn't invest too much. Probably a good idea to look into how currency/crafting works and get an idea of the basic systems of the game.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Yeah, it is basically a reset. You need to create league specific characters to engage in the new league content. Previous characters get rolled into the 'standard' game. When hardcore, league specific characters die they get thrown into 'standard' as well.

I mean, you could always give it a go so you can hit the ground running understanding basic early game stuff but I wouldn't invest too much. Probably a good idea to look into how currency/crafting works and get an idea of the basic systems of the game.
Got it, thanks!

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
A couple of things do carry over, but not really massively gameplay affecting, for the most part. If you unlocked Scion, she'll be unlocked right away in the new league and your Hideout is imported based on your standard hideout right away(so you don't have to redecorate/import your settings yourself).

Since both of these things are unlocked pretty early(act 2 for hideout, act3 for Scion), it's not a big deal.

Most people play leagues because it's a fresh start and fresh economy, it has new exclusive content(the league mechanics, this time Metamorph) and it has challenges which rewards exclusive cosmetics(generally some portal, some wings or some helm, this kind of stuff). The economy in the permanent standard league is pretty harsh for a new player since so much currency is in circulation, so that's why it's also a good idea to get started in leagues around when they start.

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017

Even Grim Dawn is in a better overall state than D3 (I think it has a big patch for December as well). At this point everyone has done a better job at supporting their flagship compared to Blizzard.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if they mentioned it, but with them starting to update PoE1 graphically in the next league, will they also be changing the camera to be further zoomed out like PoE2's?

edit - lol just as someone else asks the same thing

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Damn this is an embarrassment of riches. Comparatively.. no sympathy for Bliz, they had 7 years and reveal D3.

Holy shit there is so much content that I missed the mobile game announcement LOL

"We didn't just farm it out to a 3rd party"

God. Damn.

Noticed this as well. Looks good to me
D4 looks absolutely nothing like D3, PoE2 on the other hand looks like an expansion for PoE. The overall look is almost identical aside from the lighting.

Diablo and PoE are two of my favorites, but that was a hot take if i ever saw one.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this game in a good state on consoles? Thinking about finally giving it a spin.
FWIW, I have well over a 1000hrs on PoE on the XBX, and for me, I prefer it to the PC version, I've not put a ton of hours into the PC version, but push stick to move / push button to hit vs click mouse to move, click mouse to hit, just works, for me, so much better.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Will PoE 2's camera be patched into PoE 1?
There's no PoE2/PoE1, it's just a marketting thing like Fortnite 2. PoE2 is just 4.0 rebranded, so anything that's in PoE "2" is in the original, cause it's the same game. So yes, could even happen earlier since they said they'll be rolling stuff in the game as it's complete rather than wait to dump everything in 4.0.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
D4 looks absolutely nothing like D3, PoE2 on the other hand looks like an expansion for PoE. The overall look is almost identical aside from the lighting.

Diablo and PoE are two of my favorites, but that was a hot take if i ever saw one.
Literally the only thing new about D4 is the art style. They haven't gotten the game far enough out of development hell in order to figure out how it's actually supposed to play, if it ever actually comes out.

PoE 2 is an expansion. They're not trying to push it as anything else. It's literally an entire campaign though. PoE 2 will introduce as much new content to the game as a vanilla D4.

And we already know that GGG is good for post-release support. A new season in Diablo is literally just new set gear. They'll probably refine it a couple times until they get bored of spending money on the game, then they'll abandon it like they did D3 and move on to the next development hell project.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

D4 looks like the old remove things for the sequel then sell em back those features through dlc strategy

cyldman

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Is there anything that carries over the seasons?
Just wondering if i should skip all the seasons until 4.0 or if something carries over (other than game knowledge)

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just wondering if i should skip all the seasons until 4.0 or if something carries over (other than game knowledge)
At the end of a season, your characters and items etc. will all get put into Standard, which is a permanent game mode.

Other than that, no, each season has its own progression and a new season effectively is a reset. Levelling is easy though when you know the tricks and the economy reset is actually a good thing. Standard economy is super busted.

That said, each season is different due to the new mechanics they add. The season's big gimmick gets pushed pretty hard - they may add it to the core game later, but then it has to compete with all the other season mechanics they've added to core. So it may be worth you giving it a go?

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Previous poster forgets that every league(seasons in poe) comes with a set of challenges, and completing 12/24/36 gives cosmetics which are unique to that league. Example current league Blight has a portal effect, some wings and an ugly helm. The helm is terrible, the wings are so so but the portal is pretty cool. You also get a totem that grows based on how many challenges you've done to put in your hideout but personally don't care about these at all. Other than that, no nothing carries over, at least not to new leagues once 4.0 hits. Every league is merged into standard(permanent league) at the end so if you want to play that then might as well start whenever but it isn't like D3 where you can unlock stash tabs every season so you'd want to get started, it's just the cosmetics, which are obviously purely optional.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably easiest to think of "PoE 2" as being the new story acts that are separate from the original ones and the characters you play as, rather than a new game client entirely.

So both an expansion and a sequel pretty much.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Btw i feel sorry for Jonathan and other software engineers in the GGG. The migration of data from old skill system itemization to new system will be so challenging.
I think they should do it with bruteforce approach, do not migrate it, except maybe for 5/6 links, but instead just unlink the gems from items and put inside the character inventory or leave the sockets at first and make items red, so users need to unequip them themselves. Proper full migration i think just wont be possible, as there are just to many edge cases and i think is a waste of their time, most people do not use old characters anyway.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Can't remember the last time I've been this hyped for a game. They really nailed it yesterday, and after listening to Jonathan the new gem system is nice. Now that gems hold the sockets and links I'm like 99% sure GGG is going to add some form of rune words now.