• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SothisKrieg

Oct 25, 2017
I've juste seen little bit of gameplay video si maybe i've not seen enough. Looks good but i would not be against some "ragdoll"or more varied death animation in the future, i love seeing corpse ans part of Monsters flying when i kill them.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
So I thought gems had the sockets now, but watching the stream it looks like weapons still have sockets. How does that work?
Items will still have sockets in PoE 4.0, but those sockets will only allow to put Skill Gems in them. Skills gems will have sockets as well, for support gems.
So you have one handed sword with two red sockets, it means that you can put two different red gem skills to this item, but what Support gems and how many you can put into those Skills gems depends on how many sockets the Skills gems have.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Items will still have sockets in PoE 4.0, but those sockets will only allow to put Skill Gems in them. Skills gems will have sockets as well, for support gems.
So you have one handed sword with two red sockets, it means that you can put two different red gem skills to this item, but what Support gems and how many you can put into those Skills gems depends on how many sockets the Skills gems have.
Oh ok, that makes sense. Thank you!

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So I thought gems had the sockets now, but watching the stream it looks like weapons still have sockets. How does that work?
The items dictate how many different active skills you can place on them.

Support gems only are on active skill gems.

A bow for example has 4 green slots. That means you can place 4 Green Active skills on it (Ice Shot, Tornado Shot, Scourge Arrow, Lightning Arrow). Each of these individual skills you can 6 link separately.

Basically this simplifies having to swap out gems/gears between different item slots (and makes more sense intuitively) but allows for more builds especially builds that use multiple different skills at once.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Nice seems like they are trying to address and declutter item drops during this q&a.
They talked about it multiple times in the past, so they talk about it and think about it. Said multiple times that want people to pick up rares and have less drops on the ground.
I think it was Ziz that actually proposed good system for rares. Rares when drop should have their highest affix unidentified.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Would it kill them to just add that tiny bit of screen shake on hit that adds so much in terms of feeling impact? I'm glad they have new animations and physics, but it's like they're missing (or just refuse to add) one of the easiest pieces of the puzzle, and it's driving me crazy.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Would it kill them to just add that tiny bit of screen shake on hit that adds so much in terms of feeling impact? I'm glad they have new animations and physics, but it's like they're missing (or just refuse to add) one of the easiest pieces of the puzzle, and it's driving me crazy.
There is already screen shake option in game, but most people disable it.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There is already screen shake option in game, but most people disable it.

And it's obvious they even disable it themselves from the stream, which means what they have is more of an afterthought than something that gets tuned properly. Having done screen shake for various weapons across various types of games, it's involved and there is lots of subtlety and nuance in getting it right. I just wish they'd prioritize it. >.>

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Support gems+, 4 new ex orbs, there wasn't enough bloat already, gotta sell those stash tabs too yawn.
Run 500 labs, breach domains, legions, elders, temples etc each accompanied by lag, freezing, dc, 0 fps to get 2 scrolls of wisdom - if they fixed this that could be hype.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Support gems+, 4 new ex orbs, there wasn't enough bloat already, gotta sell those stash tabs too yawn.
Run 500 labs, breach domains, legions, elders, temples etc each accompanied by lag, freezing, dc, 0 fps to get 2 scrolls of wisdom - if they fixed this that could be hype.
Setting aside the extreme hyperbole in this post...

*They have promised that any new currency that stays in the game will have slots in the currency tab and they will be making new tabs.

*They have stated that fixing lag/freezes is a big priority and 3.9 will be a step in that direction.

*There was a big Q&A about loot clutter and loot quality. Christmas Wilson wants there to be like 600 less items on screen which he says would greatly improve game performance and screen clutter. The items itself should be a lot better for most builds on average. They don't have a time frame on these changes though.

*Getting two scroll of wisdom from running a Legion... nice joke.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
And it's obvious they even disable it themselves from the stream, which means what they have is more of an afterthought than something that gets tuned properly. Having done screen shake for various weapons across various types of games, it's involved and there is lots of subtlety and nuance in getting it right. I just wish they'd prioritize it. >.>
But most games do not have a problem of one skill having attack speed ranging from 0.5 attack/s to 20 attack/s and hitting one target or 100, hitting once or multiple times the same target. How do you screen shake in those kind of situation without not reducing visibility? Its not so easy ;p

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
But most games do not have a problem of one skill having attack speed ranging from 0.5 attack/s to 20 attack/s and hitting one target or 100. How do you screen shake in those kind of situation without not reducing visibility.

You throttle how often it can actually happen if it exceeds a certain margin due to anything. I've had to do exactly that before. It still has the desired effect while not being a screen-shaking meme-worthy mess.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
really good explanation by jonathan on how the new skill system works there

feel like I understand everything after watching it

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is there a trailer yet for PoE 2? I'm super keen as I jumped onto OG but got sidetracked with D3 and Torchlight so never got to sink my teeth back in.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just some lighthearted fun

9d9wdc508yy31.jpg

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's super smart that they announced PoE2 and are immediately having an endgame rework for the current game in the next league. It's gonna keep things fresh and really help to sort of take the sting out of the fact that Poe2 is a year+ away.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's super smart that they announced PoE2 and are immediately having an endgame rework for the current game in the next league. It's gonna keep things fresh and really help to sort of take the sting out of the fact that Poe2 is a year+ away.
What's even better is that they are adding pieces of PoE2 into the game over time. Like the new updated first area.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Guess I'm the only one who always enjoys doing Lab....

I'm at least with you I liked the idea of labs to get your ascendancy. What I really wish was each level of lab was drastically different and the enchant shit at the end was more like a veiled mod roll, can pick 1 of 3, would make its crazyness better.

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I started playing it on the PS4 a couple of weeks, I'm lvl46 and the game still feels weird to me. Like, the drops sucks, all of my itens are still shit, my character still looks like an exile caveman. Feels impossible to drop an legendary equipment. Even bosses don't drop shit. It's just orbs and gems all the time.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
New gem system is going to make namelock skills more fun to play because you can have a clearing setup (and IMO clearing with Ancestral Call with some way of having melee splash is actually pretty good now) while having a gem setup for strictly single target damage without having to constantly change gems around.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at least with you I liked the idea of labs to get your ascendancy. What I really wish was each level of lab was drastically different and the enchant shit at the end was more like a veiled mod roll, can pick 1 of 3, would make its crazyness better.

I definitely agree that they should change some of the aspects of Lab. Helm enchants are a nightmare, but the RNG nature of it has paid off for me before starting league as a lab farmer.

When i'm playing through a league finding out a day is a good lab day was always exciting for me.

Maybe i'm just easy to please or something.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
The Diablo 4 hate boner on the stream right now is insane lol
Kinda deserved in context of both annoucements. D4 is in development for 3 years and devs hardly can talk about its systems and most system are basically stripped from D3 currently.
PoE 4.0 is being developed for around 2 years and devs talked extensively about its systems.

big bas

The Fallen
Jan 2, 2018
lost a couple of hours in a blur earlier when I started PoE for the first time lol these announcements hooked me

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
as someone that's very against actiony games on mobile as a general rule I gotta say this actually looks pretty decent