• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
It's less about complexity and more about how they are developing and iterating on their product and IP at such an impressive rate, whereas the former king of the genre is putting up dev blogs where they're like "good news: we decided magic items should have a bigger stat range this time around!"

I'm not juxtaposing them to shame Blizzard, I'm just commenting on how far GGG and PoE has come, and how ambitious their development has and continues to be.

It's hard for me to call Diablo the former king, I think the second D4 hits it will smash genre records again and this time they build it it as a live service.

But I don't want to derail this PoE thread any further so I will leave it at that.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I just wish the game felt better to play. I know I harp on it a lot, but it has always felt soft in terms of combat impacts. The PoE 2 video they showed at Exilecon over a year ago seemed to be addressing and adding some of what I was looking for, and I can't wait to try it then. I actually love the intricacies of the gameplay systems, but I always fizzle out every time I go "I should try this again" due to the moment to moment feel.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
So, when can I skip campaign (if it's the same exact shit).

And whats this about desync? Afaik, it's still a problem.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I just wish the game felt better to play. I know I harp on it a lot, but it has always felt soft in terms of combat impacts. The PoE 2 video they showed at Exilecon over a year ago seemed to be addressing and adding some of what I was looking for, and I can't wait to try it then. I actually love the intricacies of the gameplay systems, but I always fizzle out every time I go "I should try this again" due to the moment to moment feel.
Ever since they redesigned melee combat/animations it's felt alot better to me

And whats this about desync? Afaik, it's still a problem.
I don't know about anyone else but desyncs have been fixed for me for 2-3 years now? I've seen the server crapping out occasionally, lagging and acting weird but the actual desyncs, the desyncs I felt back in the leagues 4+ years ago, are long gone.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I did not see it mentioned or I missed it..but any word if there is a Next Gen update for the game?

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I think that's mostly an issue early game, once you get your build rolling everything hits like a truck and feels good.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Would love if they added controller support on PC.

Only think keeping me from playing it

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks great. Harvest sounds like it was significantly improved.

I know 1 person who enjoyed making their own garden that's gonna be disappointed though.

It's hard for me to call Diablo the former king, I think the second D4 hits it will smash genre records again and this time they build it it as a live service.

But I don't want to derail this PoE thread any further so I will leave it at that.
Ahhh Yes... Because current Blizzard is capable of providing fantastic post-launch support for their games.

Literally what prevented Diablo 3 from continuing to receive updates outside of the fact that Blizzard released a $15 class for the game and followed that up by outright dropping support?

Also, Diablo 3 was a disaster at launch.

Oct 26, 2017
it's just too much man, layers upon layers of content and leaguestart chores to do every time. I'm not entirely convinced yet.

Not to mention the high likelihood that it'll be broken at launch.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Is that even a bad thing? From the latest D4 blog, I don't think they are trying to be the next PoE at all.

Not all ARPGS have to be as complex as PoE.

And that alone is why I prefer D3 and Grim Dawn to PoE. I've tried playing PoE numerous times over the years and just don't find it fun at all.

Oct 27, 2017
GGG just doesnt stop... this looks glorious.

Path of Exile end game is just so dense.

new end game story, mapping region passive trees, new currencies to buy stash tabs for XD, 11 new mapping tilesets

Releases January 15th

Echoes of the Atlas trailer:

Entire unveil of expansion / league reworks:

I will post the ritual league trailer when it's posted on their YT but it's in the full unveil

honestly..... the new currencies is not something im looking forward to. too many already

Mentosrock

Nov 4, 2019
it's just too much man, layers upon layers of content and leaguestart chores to do every time. I'm not entirely convinced yet.

Not to mention the high likelihood that it'll be broken at launch.

This is where I'm at too.. I don't know what it will take to hook me in, but the grind needed to get up and running in maps is just too much of a chore for me at the moment. I might just be out until POE 2 now.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Has this received a nextgen update yet?

Don't know you history with the game but they have been slightly improving it in general for a while. The lighting update for gi and shadows was the last big graphical update and the engine does support vulcan too. We won't see any huge upgrades though till Poe2.

As for the expansion I'm game, heist just didn't grab me though.

I'm pumped for a lot changes including them atlas bonuses. Harvest back with fixes, fuck yeah.

I think it's dumb and drives people away that they force most to go through the campaign process especially since the last half is mostly a rehash. You can blitz through d3 a lot more than Poe ever allows and yes I know runners are quick but not quick enough be it first runs or subsequent. After D3 recent league of pylons on crack with clones it's joke what PoE makes you do to get to endgame, without luck it's garbage.

This is where I'm at too.. I don't know what it will take to hook me in, but the grind needed to get up and running in maps is just too much of a chore for me at the moment. I might just be out until POE 2 now.

Let your allies do the work and show up a few days later, makes leagues at times easier for me. If you US leech off me for your first completion, niko you gotta do yourself though.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
honestly..... the new currencies is not something im looking forward to. too many already

tbh I've never even seen a regular Ivory Watchstone, I don't expect to even see any of the new orbs. They even specifically say the Maven fight / Orb is something reserved for the "upper echelon of the playerbase", that basically translated to people living in the game or twitch streamers.

I think it's dumb and drives people away that they force most to go through the campaign process especially since the last half is mostly a rehash. You can blitz through d3 a lot more than Poe ever allows and yes I know runners are quick but not quick enough be it first runs or subsequent.

Clearing the campaign, doing all lab trials again, crafting recipe gathering, unveiling craft mods. It all just sucks to do every time, and that's not even mentioning stuff like Delving, Heist rogue releveling and other old league content. Just yuck.

Last edited:

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
tbh I've never even seen a regular Ivory Watchstone, I don't expect to even see any of the new orbs. They even specifically say the Maven fight / Orb is something reserved for the "upper echelon of the playerbase", that basically translated to people living in the game or twitch streamers.

Hearing shit like that pisses me off, not a single watchstone. I've met various players way better than my grind who have never seen mirrors either.

woof bro

Clearing the campaign, doing all lab trials again, crafting recipe gathering, unveiling craft mods. It all just sucks to do every time, and that's not even mentioning stuff like Delving, Heist rogue releveling and other old league content. Just yuck.

I'm just there for the grind but yeah it's a bit much. I mention niko to someone else. I do hate the chase for lab esepcially, 820 ftw though.

Heist..... Unless it's great won't use it much. Yep I leave ex on the table since there's so much to earn elsewhere. If there wasn't a solid endgame I wouldn't bother myself. It pisses me off to complete since getting some maps is a pain until you got currency or luck.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Seems cool overall, though nothing stands out, but at this point the main thing I want out of PoE is content removal not additions. There's so much bloat and clutter and it just gets worst. I know my only chance is to wait for PoE2, but I would love a League that removes mechanics to focus on basics (ie: Less enemies that are tougher and have better AI)

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Seems cool overall, though nothing stands out, but at this point the main thing I want out of PoE is content removal not additions. There's so much bloat and clutter and it just gets worst. I know my only chance is to wait for PoE2, but I would love a League that removes mechanics to focus on basics (ie: Less enemies that are tougher and have better AI)

theres a game if you want things removed, go play Destiny

PoE is fine

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Is there any way to play this game with a build that's based around being relatively tanky but dealing less damage? I know that's not really the point of these games but I quickly lose interest in them once I kinda just click a button a the screen is deleted only to be one-shot by something I didn't see because I'm a glass cannon.

Like I enjoyed playing defense/nature in Titan Quest because I just survived and attritioned things down with my wolves and nymph.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Is there any way to play this game with a build that's based around being relatively tanky but dealing less damage? I know that's not really the point of these games but I quickly lose interest in them once I kinda just click a button a the screen is deleted only to be one-shot by something I didn't see because I'm a glass cannon.

Like I enjoyed playing defense/nature in Titan Quest because I just survived and attritioned things down with my wolves and nymph.

Templar - juggernaut ascension

you're still going to take a lot of damage in high leveled maps/uber bosses though, but well, thems the breaks

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017

Quite a few, the juggernaut ascendancy pretty much is built around this idea. A lot of the recent melee changes have been trending towards slower gameplay as well if that's what you prefer too.

theres a game if you want things removed, go play Destiny

PoE is fine

Nah, there's plenty of outdated league mechanics now. Heck Ritual seems like a drop in upgrade over Perandus.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for PoE 2 so I can get that better camera angle.

I'd have a million hours in the game if the console version had controls like Diablo 3. I just really find mouse and keyboard clunky for arpgs for me personally, Diablo 3 has the best arpg controls ever created. I wish every day every arpg game just copy pasted plagiarized those controls. D3 is so fun to just mindlessly play on console, sure there's 'some' endgame grind but I can just turn off everything and just walk forward and there's explosions and cool things happening...I want that with PoE but it's the controls are BLEH on console

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
How much does the console versions improve with the new consoles? I love the game but honestly hate playing on a kb/m these days.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I can barely, BARELY, make it to end game mapping due to my determination to play in the hardcore leagues with super unsafe builds. So even if a lot of this new endgame stuff is cool, I doubt I'm going to see much of it without eating shit almost immediately.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Always wanted to jump in but it just plays so bad, wasn't POE2 spose to be out now? It would seem covid hit them harder than most, which is strange considering NZ.

OP
OP
DopeyFish

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Always wanted to jump in but it just plays so bad, wasn't POE2 spose to be out now? It would seem covid hit them harder than most, which is strange considering NZ.

early game feels like poo but a lot of skills have a great feel in end game (when linked and leveled + attack speed increases)

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
early game feels like poo but a lot of skills have a great feel in end game (when linked and leveled + attack speed increases)
I've heard that, and its certainly faster from videos, I'll definitely be playing 2 which looked even more fluid from that preview a year ago. Also much prefer the new skill socket system they showed.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
I did not see it mentioned or I missed it..but any word if there is a Next Gen update for the game?
It already got a huge bump to performance with next gen consoles (or at least on xbox) because PoE on console was already had dynamic resolution and framerate (or at least the framerate does not go down now outside of mega juiced stuff that even pc struggles with)

I went from super crunchy fully juiced content that was almost unpleyable on the One X to super smooth fully juiced content on the Series X.

PoE being as modular as it is in terms of how much shit you can force the game to add means that it'll always have situations where you can force the game to a crawl tho.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate the effort, but I still hate the skill maze...I mean tree with a passion. That and I cannot stand having to do the story content over every season

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Godlike trailer and an insane amount of content in the new league.

They can't keep getting away with it!!! .... My time that is.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I played this a long time ago on Xbox but could t get into it. I'd be lying if I didn't say that trailer kinda hyped me to try again. I really liked that music.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I wish there was a way to experience new league content with my old characters. I don't get anywhere near enough time to play so having to start again every time just to play the new content gets on the nerves a bit. I don't generally trade so having a fresh economy means nothing to me.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was a way to experience new league content with my old characters. I don't get anywhere near enough time to play so having to start again every time just to play the new content gets on the nerves a bit. I don't generally trade so having a fresh economy means nothing to me.
This is an expansion so most of this content is coming to Standard as well. The only thing you will miss is the Ritual League which isn't all that compared to the end game stuff they are doing here.