• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017

The most generous countries for paid leave for fathers are Japan, South Korea and Portugal, according to the Unicef report. The least is the US – the only country analysed not to offer any kind of paid leave to mothers or fathers.

Figures from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) show the average length of paid leave reserved for fathers among its members is 8.1 weeks.

Japan - 30 Weeks
South Korea - 15 Weeks
Spain - 12 Weeks
Sweden - 11 Weeks
Iceland - 9 Weeks
Canada - 5-8 Weeks
Mexico - 1 Week
Australia - 0.9 Weeks
UK - 0.4 Weeks
USA - 0 weeks
Yo America when you gonna start that revolution.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, wasn't expecting Japan to be number one. 30 weeks is quite generous. Once again, America shows its ass.

Pinku

Dec 21, 2017
This is a bit more complicated. In Sweden we have 480 days to share between the father and the mother. That's 68 weeks. Right now my SO uses 5 paid days per week so in the end we will have 90+ weeks at home with the baby. And of course you can decide if you want to share 50/50 or if someone might take more time than the other.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
This is a bit more complicated. In Sweden we have 480 days to share between the father and the mother. That's 68 weeks. Right now my SO uses 5 paid days per week so in the end we will have 90+ weeks at home with the baby. And of course you can decide if you want to share 50/50 or if someone might take more time than the other.

Similar here in Germany.

That is why I am wondering why Germany isnt even listed.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
This is only the list for fathers.

This is the full list:

07OLUgS.png

Oct 26, 2017
Prospective US dads rise up.

A lot of European countries have pretty low amounts of paternity leave as well, but since you get a mandated ~20 days of paid time off each year it isn't as big a deal as a country where you don't even have that.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Why isn't Denmark on that list? Oh, is it only mandatory paternity leave?

A Danish father gets 2 weeks mandatory paternity leave at full pay and an optional 32 week paternity leave at 90% pay. This can be extended for 8 weeks more but at a further reduction in pay.

I daresay we "win" :-D

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Similar here in Germany.

That is why I am wondering why Germany isnt even listed.

Probably bc we don't have paternity leave by that strict definition.
Mothers get 8 guaranteed weeks "Mutterschutz", there's no law that specifically applies to fathers.

We had a daughter in Dec 19 and are doing the 12+2 model. One parent gets 12 months, the other gets 2.
It's all gender neutral and many options are available.
You can just do 12m total and split it either way between parents. You can do 24months part time work at a reduced rate etc.

That said, yeah Germany belongs on that list.

EDIT: seems like we are on there after all.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Wait US has zero paid leave for paternity and maternity as well? Citizens of much poorer countries get more benefits.

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
The Icelandic number is both right and wrong. Mothers get 6 months and fathers get 3 months but both get 3 months they can split up anyway they like.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty head scratching that they do not add countries where the total parental leave is shared but there is a minimum amount of time that each one should spend, like is the case in Sweden and Germany.
Iirc, Spain had (well it just improved this year and the next) one of the worst paternal leaves in Europe and we are just barely getting to the general European standard now.

Jun 26, 2018
Why does paid leave for fathers only say 1 week for Denmark? That seems super wrong, considering I work with several new fathers who've taken many weeks of paid paternety leave...

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Canada has up to what.. 61 weeks of shared parental leave right now (at 33% pay via employment insurance). Or standard shared 35 weeks at 55% pay.

Mothers get an extra 15 weeks of maternity leave for birthing purposes.

Fathers get an extra 5 standard or 8 extended but reduced pay weeks if they choose to take it. BUT TECHNICALLY THEY COULD TAKE THE FULL 41 or EXTENDED 69 WEEKS?

I think the chart being shown needs updating.

Employers of course may offer additional top up benefits. I don't get them though :(

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In a wonky way, I kinda like the US selfishness on this one because it deters people from having kids lol

OP
OP
Puroresu_kid

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, came to say this.

Paternity leave is only accessible to employees (not, for example, people who are self-employed or contractors) and is paid at a rate of either £149 (about $195) a week or 90% of the employee's average weekly pay, whichever is lowest, for a maximum of two weeks. Leave, which cannot be split up, can be taken between the birth of the child and up to 56 days later. Up to 18 weeks of parental leave is available to fathers and mothers up to the child's 18th birthday, but it is unpaid and limited to four weeks per year.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Most folks in Austria are doing 12(mother)+2(father) months since that optimizes time spent caring for the kid while also maximizing payout, i think.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Some people already explained how only 5% of Japanese fathers use their right, but I'll also pretty sure I read that among those 5% almost none of them actually use the 30 weeks, it's usually a few days at best.

A young politician the current government is desperately trying to make happen (Koizumi Shinjiro) has been very vocal about taking his parental leave... But then he revealed he would be "working at home about 15 days over the course of three month" IIRC, and everyone facepalmed.
Funnily enough, the last politician to try it before him was found unfaithful to his pregnant wife, which pretty much killed that topic for a few years lol

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, wasn't expecting Japan to be number one. 30 weeks is quite generous. Once again, America shows its ass.

Couples aren't having children anymore either. Same for South Korea. The Korean Government is handing out all sorts of benefits and cash incentives to couples who have more kids. Still not making a dent.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
The plan for the current Government of Spain is supposed to gradually up it to 16 weeks so it equates the maternal leave.

But this Government won't last long enough.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wait, the States don't have that at all?
What are you supposed to do after the baby is born? Going back straight to work?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The plan for the current Government of Spain is supposed to gradually up it to 16 weeks so it equates the maternal leave.

But this Government won't last long enough.
The degree has already passed and will happen in January 2021 (well it already happened in 2020 to 12 weeks), so unless there are elections and the right wins and decides to make it their first priority, its happening.

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should really have the parental/home care leave listed as a separate column in the figure Kyougar posted and show that next to the statutory paternal and maternal leaves, with counted full-rate equivalent.

Quick glance at the report I would take a stab at Norway having the most generous system, with 46 weeks parental leave at 100% ("10 weeks are for the mother and 10 weeks for the father. The remaining 26 weeks are a sharable family entitlement") - like most family leaves it is capped but Norway's cap lies at 9000 euros a month...source: p.18 https://www.oecd.org/els/soc/PF2_1_Parental_leave_systems.pdf

Last edited:

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
What are you supposed to do after the baby is born? Going back straight to work?
This is Paternity leave. Obviously we get maternity leave to various levels depending on the company, but there's no standard for the father.

Last I checked, I'd get a few weeks but it's not usually a thing. Maternity leave on the other hand is 10 weeks. 30 weeks is amazing.

Edit:
85 weeks!? Holy shit @ Estonia.

Dec 31, 2017
Fuckin hell the USA is embarrassing when it comes to this. Some companies offer it for sure but it's definitely not mandated. It's almost impossible to even imagine for the average American.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
That's what bootstraps are for*.

I don't know what they do. . . but that's what they're for.

*This is actually a joke that wraps around itself in its own idiocy. The right-wing which drives all economic policy in America likes to use the phrase, "Pull yourself up by the bootstraps," to mean one should just try harder. But the actual phrase refers to a literal impossibility of traversing a fence by pulling at your bootstraps which does. . . nothing. I'm not kidding. The right (which when it comes to economic policy that's both parties these days) unironically uses a phrase signifying idiotic futility to motivate workers instead of enacting policy. Now, you were saying about maternity and paternity leave?

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is Paternity leave. Obviously we get maternity leave to various levels depending on the company, but there's no standard for the father.

Last I checked, I'd get a few weeks but it's not usually a thing. Maternity leave on the other hand is 10 weeks. 30 weeks is amazing.

Edit:
85 weeks!? Holy shit @ Estonia.

Estonia, France, Germany, Slovakia, SPain and Finland have parental leave until 3 years - but both are capped at % of salary or max. monthly salary (Estonia,max is set at 3000e/month). The fullcost equivalence is thus misleading (because it does not reveal cap) because it takes into account the % but not the cap.

Also US does not have 10 weeks statutory maternity leave, it has 0 - it has family leave but that is unpaid. This study is about the legal rights, and in the US there are no legal rights regarding paid leave for the parents. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maternity_leave_in_the_United_States

State level. " California, New Jersey, and Rhode Island for instance, operate programs that require private-sector employers to pay their employees who utilize maternity leave at partial replacement rates.[34] New York passed paid family leave legislation, which includes maternity leave, in 2016 — starting off at 8 weeks and 50% of pay in 2018, and reaching 12 weeks and 67% of pay in 2021.[35] " (Source: ibid)

Last edited:

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Estonia, France, Germany, Slovakia, SPain and Finland have parental leave until 3 years - but both are capped at % of salary or max. monthly salary (Estonia,max is set at 3000e/month). The fullcost equivalence is thus misleading (because it does not reveal cap) because it takes into account the % but not the cap.

Also US does not have 10 weeks statutory maternity leave, it has 0 - it has family leave but that is unpaid. This study is about the legal rights, and in the US there are no legal rights regarding paid leave for the parents. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maternity_leave_in_the_United_States

State level. " California, New Jersey, and Rhode Island for instance, operate programs that require private-sector employers to pay their employees who utilize maternity leave at partial replacement rates.[34] New York passed paid family leave legislation, which includes maternity leave, in 2016 — starting off at 8 weeks and 50% of pay in 2018, and reaching 12 weeks and 67% of pay in 2021.[35] " (Source: ibid)
Sounds incredible. I'm guessing it's close to 50-60% of salary, but still. I don't know what I would do with so much time.