• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I'm about 70% of the way through the main game currently. Picked it up in the recent sale. I've had zero crashes, and for the most part it's run at 90-100 fps at 3440x1440 and all settings at ultra. So I've been happy, especially given the early problems I'd heard of. That's on an RTX 3080 and Ryzen 7 3700x.

Very good looking game. And I've been having a great time with the story, world and combat.
If you can't run this whole thing well with your PC specs... How is it on more "normal" PCs? :) And also was the stuttering issue solved?

furfoot

Dec 12, 2017
Gave up due to constant micro stuttering with terrible frame pacing on a RTX 3070 and 10900K.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
100%, it needs a PS5 upgrade, along with Death Stranding. Two games Sony funded. PC patches should be down the list of priorities, comparatively.
I have a theory that Sony staple games like these without performance patches have PS5 remasters planned within the next year. Do you think there could be any truth to that? I guess I'm curious how much work it is to add these BC patches and whether it's intentional or a matter of resources.

Notice some of the games with performance patches were Tsushima, Days Gone, and Infamous Second Son, which I think are all unlikely to get remasters anytime soon. Others like GoW are conspicuously missing and yet are confirmed to run 60 FPS when played with no patches.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I have a theory that Sony staple games like these without performance patches have PS5 remasters planned within the next year. Do you think there could be any truth to that? I guess I'm curious how much work it is to add these BC patches and whether it's intentional or a matter of resources.

Notice some of the games with performance patches were Tsushima, Days Gone, and Infamous Second Son, which I think are all unlikely to get remasters anytime soon. Others like GoW are conspicuously missing and yet are confirmed to run 60 FPS when played with no patches.

Eh, I think it's more along the lines of how busy the teams are. Guerilla is presumably fairly well along on full production of Forbidden West and have ended up in an extended patch cycle they didn't anticipate for the PC version of Zero Dawn. It's fairly likely they just don't have the bandwith to put out a PS5 performance patch right now. It wouldn't surprise me to see one come later this year using the fixed version of the PC version as a base.

Similar for God of War- they are full bore working on Ragnarok right now and probably haven't been active with the original GoW PS4 codebase for three years now since it didn't get expansions or anything.

Something like GoT makes sense for a quick PS5 patch since Sucker Punch was still in active post launch support of the title.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
Eh, I think it's more along the lines of how busy the teams are. Guerilla is presumably fairly well along on full production of Forbidden West and have ended up in an extended patch cycle they didn't anticipate for the PC version of Zero Dawn. It's fairly likely they just don't have the bandwith to put out a PS5 performance patch right now. It wouldn't surprise me to see one come later this year using the fixed version of the PC version as a base.

Similar for God of War- they are full bore working on Ragnarok right now and probably haven't been active with the original GoW PS4 codebase for three years now since it didn't get expansions or anything.

Something like GoT makes sense for a quick PS5 patch since Sucker Punch was still in active post launch support of the title.
That makes sense now that you mention it. My original theory was that they were planning to pull a Spider-Man and bundle remasters with the new games coming in 2021 and 2022 as an "ICYMI" move to Sony newcomers. Same idea for the TLoU II multiplayer paired with a remaster. The logic being that Sony doesn't want to create a value conundrum to just buy the PS4 version on sale when you can get 4K60 minus DualSense and 3D audio features. Either way, we'll probably need to wait on new content releases first.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
That makes sense now that you mention it. My original theory was that they were planning to pull a Spider-Man and bundle remasters with the new games coming in 2021 and 2022 as an "ICYMI" move to Sony newcomers. Same idea for the TLoU II multiplayer paired with a remaster. The logic being that Sony doesn't want to create a value conundrum to just buy the PS4 version on sale when you can get 4K60 minus DualSense and 3D audio features. Either way, we'll probably need to wait on new content releases first.

If Horizon were to get the Spider-Man remastered treatment (ie all new lighting and largely redone texture work), I think it would have happened in conjunction with the PC release. I can't see them releasing a vastly upgraded Zero Dawn less than a year after the PC release. And they can't really charge for the PC upgrades since it mainly just amounts to moving foliage. *If* Zero Dawn gets upgraded for PS5 I think it will just be a free patch with 60 fps and maybe the dynamic foliage.

I think you are right about a potential TLoU Part 2 upgrade coming with the multiplayer.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I booted it up last week after not having played it in a few months.

messed around for 30 minutes and was getting a rock solid 120fps on 1440p with my 3080 on Ultra. I was legitimately surprised at how well it ran

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
So is the game in a good state now? I was interested originally but got scared away wit all the complaints.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I booted it up last week after not having played it in a few months.

messed around for 30 minutes and was getting a rock solid 120fps on 1440p with my 3080 on Ultra. I was legitimately surprised at how well it ran
It never ran badly on a 3080 since the most glaring issues were fixed before the card was released. Not much to be surprised about.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Use Special K.

7ae9d608fa6569d86b2e8ff8dbfb354ff509b0e9.jpeg
Is the stuttering reduced with gsync?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is the stuttering reduced with gsync?
I'm seeing a slight microstutter every ~five seconds on my G-Sync monitor. Not enough to really bother me, honestly. I notice it most easily when slowly rotating the camera.

edit: Oh shit, I didn't read the thread very closely. I'm just talking about the base game. I'm not using any graphics mods.
What issues are still persistent? I assume everything physics related like the hair and foliage animation, as well as cutscenes.
I just tested this. Long grass and Aloy's hair both look like they're animating over 30 FPS during gameplay. Not sure about cutscenes.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I'm seeing a slight microstutter every ~five seconds on my G-Sync monitor. Not enough to really bother me, honestly. I notice it most easily when slowly rotating the camera.

edit: Oh shit, I didn't read the thread very closely. I'm just talking about the base game. I'm not using any graphics mods.

I just tested this. Long grass and Aloy's hair both look like they're animating over 30 FPS during gameplay. Not sure about cutscenes.
This was a problem since launch (on Steam at least)!

I can't believe they still haven't fixed it...

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it has been a few months since I've played the game, and I haven't done so since upgrading to an RTX 3000 card the other week, but I did put in a few dozen hours across several weeks following release and can say with absolute confidence that Special K completely eliminated the frame pacing issues I was initially seeing.
Alright, I'll try out SpecialK! Do you recommend using it for every game, considering framepacing is apparently what causes Gsync flicker on the CX? Also should I disable Vsync in the NVCP if I'm using SpecialK?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Alright, I'll try out SpecialK! Do you recommend using it for every game, considering framepacing is apparently what causes Gsync flicker on the CX? Also should I disable Vsync in the NVCP if I'm using SpecialK?

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with every game -- DX10 isn't supported at all (mind you, literally 99% of DX10 games also support either DX9 or DX11), and DX12 and Vulkan support is hit-or-miss -- but, yeah, I'd definitely recommend using it in lieu of vsync/RTSS/etc. wherever possible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For those who wants to tweak the graphic settings, this is the directory
Documents\Horizon Zero Dawn\Saved Game\profile

Open graphicsconfig.ini with notepad

Here's what inside the ini file

Code:
[DisplayParams]
Monitor                         = 1
ResolutionX                     = 2560
ResolutionY                     = 1440
RefreshRate                     = 59
FieldOfView                     = 70                ; Range: 70 - 100
AdaptiveFPS                     = 0                ; Values: 0 (Off), 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120
FPSLimit                        = 0                ; Values: 0 (Off), 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120
RenderScale                     = 100                ; Values: 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100
AspectRatio                     = Auto                ; Values: Auto, 1:1, 4:3, 16:9, 21:9, 32:9
DisplayMode                     = Borderless            ; Values: Fullscreen, Borderless, Windowed
Vsync                           = True

[GraphicsParams]
Textures                        = Ultra                ; Values: Low, Medium, High, Ultra
ModelQuality                    = Ultra                ; Values: Low, Medium, High, Ultra
AnisotropicFilter               = Low                ; Values: Low, Medium, High, Ultra
Shadows                         = Off                ; Values: Off, Low, Medium, High, Ultra
Reflections                     = Medium            ; Values: Low, Medium, High
Clouds                          = Medium            ; Values: Medium, High, Ultra
MotionBlur                      = True
AmbientOcclusion                = Medium            ; Values: Off, Medium, High, Ultra
AntiAliasing                    = CameraBased            ; Values: Off, CameraBased, FXAA, SMAA, TAA
FidelityFXCAS                   = 0                ; Range: 0 (Off) - 100

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, it doesn't work with every game -- DX10 isn't supported at all (mind you, literally 99% of DX10 games also support either DX9 or DX11), and DX12 and Vulkan support is hit-or-miss -- but, yeah, I'd definitely recommend using it in lieu of vsync/RTSS/etc. wherever possible.
Saw a compatibility list on PCGamingWiki which shows it breaks a lot of games. That's such a shame... Wish issues like framepacing were figured out by now.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Did they ever officially fix the snow deformation? It's been proven that it wasn't actually left out, it just wasn't working correctly.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Truth. Notepad is such a lifesaver.
Notepad++ is a far better application for editing because you can literally edit anything, with a far superior layout. Plus it has all thesupport for scripting languages.

I dislike companies shifting off a game requiring fixes/updates if there are still clear issues, however it sounds like that's for the most part sorted? Typically you'd keep a skeleton crew looking after a game that's not even a year old (and had severe bugs), but obviously things are good and priorities lay in the sequel.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Notepad++ is a far better application for editing because you can literally edit anything, with a far superior layout. Plus it has all thesupport for scripting languages.

I dislike companies shifting off a game requiring fixes/updates if there are still clear issues, however it sounds like that's for the most part sorted? Typically you'd keep a skeleton crew looking after a game that's not even a year old (and had severe bugs), but obviously things are good and priorities lay in the sequel.

Holy shit I need that. Thanks for the tip!! Gonna download that tonight

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017

inFamous Second Son/First Light received no related PS5 patches. All of the current resolution and framerate options in those games were introduced when the PS4 Pro released. The only Sony games to receive PS5 'aware' patches are GoT and Days Gone.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Does this game now have snow deformation like on console?

I remember that was missing in the PC port

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017
I just got this today thinking most issues were fixed, but I have a question. Is the audio quality for dialogue suppossed to be bad? I hear strange compression artifacts from some of the voiced lines.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Does this still have that awful loading on boot where it builds shaders or whatever?

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's optional now. But it can lead to better performance. Also, since they ré done patching, you'd only have to do it one least time.
I thought you had to do it everytime the game was booted? Was that changed or was that a glitch to begin with? Was I just misinformed? lol

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It's optional now. But it can lead to better performance. Also, since they ré done patching, you'd only have to do it one least time.
How do we know they're done patching? Have they confirmed no more patches are coming?
I thought you had to do it everytime the game was booted? Was that changed or was that a glitch to begin with? Was I just misinformed? lol
Pretty sure you have to do it after each driver update, but certainly not after each game boot lol

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
To those that asked if "pressing the windows key continuous"...
having something lay on the keyboard (folder, map, phone), pushing something to the side on the table can lead to something overlaping with a key (like the windows key) and triggering it, etc...
dont know how big your desks are and if they are always free from any stuff, but for me it happens that i had stuff on the desk foruniversity, or a plate, or 2 synths... stuff that i wont remove just for a gamign session if ill use it later.

Also: configs in txt files instead of binarys should be the norm, so good on them for doing that =D

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
Can also say use Special K, been using with Horizon with no issues. I've actually been using it in almost every game now a days because it basically fixes all the frame pacing issues games have, and I can play all the non hdr games with proper hdr. If anyone is going to use special k though you should grab the latest release from the discord channel link on the discourse site since it has a ton of improvements.