• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
Thought this was an interesting list worth posting as I'm sure it'll skew very different to many more mainstream games outlets lists this year.
The placements at 2 + 5 have definitely spurred my interest to get around to trying those before the end of the year.

Definitely agree with the high placements of 1, 3, and 8.

www.pastemagazine.com

The 40 Best Games of 2020

Paste Magazine is your source for the best music, movies, TV, comedy, videogames, books, comics, craft beer, politics and more. Discover your favorite albums and films.

1. Hades
2. If Found
3. Kentucky Route Zero Act V
4. Astro's Playroom
5. Umurangi Generation
6. The Pathless
7. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
8. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2
9. Spelunky 2
10. Microsoft Flight Simulator

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Paste Magazine lists is always terrible and this is not a exception, but at least Hades on top is not bad.

Oct 27, 2017
It connects us to something we can't currently touch or feel, something we've been sorely missing, which is a sense of normalcy. Yeah, it's an illusion. Yeah, it's disappointing to take those headphones off and look up from the monitor and realize I'm back in the same house I haven't left in half a year. But when I'm in that digital cockpit all that stuff fades away, and it takes my stress and depression along with it, at least for a little while. And that's worth something.

Yep, that is what I felt playing a Flight Sim, watching the slew of copy-paste buildings, trees and cars driving in rivers.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
So they went out of their way not to include most of the big ones. I get the point of doing this, but it always feels so forced.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
some of you gonna lose your shit if tlou is not in top 10, wont you

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
the way that it's framed in the intro and presumably the content ("here are some games we liked this year") and the way it's actually conveyed (ranked list, titled "best games") will not bode well for reactions

that said, i'm surprised that demon's souls' only appearance is getting name dropped in the blurb for The Pathless, and TLOU2 isn't even mentioned among the 40

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
The Last of Us 2 didn't even make the Top 40 for this year? Hard to believe.

Edit: I retract my statement about it being clickbait.

Last edited:

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
That's an actually interesting full list, with a couple of games I hadn't heard of before that are now on my radar.

Seeing KRZ and Umurangi Generation in the top 10 is a reminder that I need to give those games a second chance.

May 19, 2020
it must be the sinister anti-druckmann bias at paste magazine and not that they simply have different taste in games. i demand an investigation. j'accuse! j'accuse!

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
That's actually a really nice list. Astro's Playroon, Spiritfarer, Dreams, If Found, KRZ, Paradise Killer, Tell Me Why, Sackboy...

And I want to buy that Bird Alone phone game.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
To each their own with these lists, as they should be, but no mention of The Last of Us Part II or Ghost of Tsushima in a 40-game list of the best titles released in 2020 is strange to me. Edit: And Half-Life: Alyx, Nioh 2, etc. as others have pointed out.

So they went out of their way not to include most of the big ones. I get the point of doing this, but it always feels so forced.

Not so sure about that. Every game nominated for TGA's GOTY is there. Seems to just be TLOU and Ghost.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Nice to see Astro Bot place so high on the list and Hades get another win. There are a couple of games I haven't heard of on the list that I'll need to check out. I appreciate lists like these because it gives a spotlight to things I may have missed.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Wow a top 10 full of interesting games and not narrative focused AAA junk. What a treat!

Hades is astounding. The best rogue of all time.

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
Great list. My top 4 are circulating between Tony Hawk , Hades, KRZ and Umurangi Generation, so this list is very relevant to me. Also 13 Sentinals , but havent finished it yet.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
I'm guessing they didn't include remakes/remasters/new editions of older games? Because if not, the lack of Persona 5: Royal and Xenoblade DE is dubious.

Also, no Nioh 2 in the entire top 40? What?

And missing Alyx and Lou2 (even if I haven't played them, I know their quality and how much they're liked) in the entire top 40 feels very weird.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
To each their own with these lists, as they should be, but no mention of The Last of Us Part II or Ghost of Tsushima in a 40-game list of the best titles released in 2020 is strange to me.

Not so sure about that. Every game nominated for TGA's GOTY is there. Seems to just be TLOU and Ghost.
Sure, that's still kind of enough for me to raise an eyebrow and question seriously that they don't think that those games hit the top 40. Seems crazy to me, but whatever.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I like KRZ but putting it on #3 and snubbing stuff like Alyx, TLOU, Tsushima, 13 Sentinels, Demon's or P5R while having stuff like Maneater or Skater XL is weirdddd