• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're old when you make threads like this:

www.resetera.com

It's June 1991. Are you looking forward to Bonk's Revenge?

We're approaching the 30 year anniversary of mascot platform game Bonk's Revenge for the TurboGrafx 16 in North America (AKA PC Genjin 2 for PC Engine in Japan). Were you anticipating playing it back then? What did you think of it? If you weren't there at the time, did you play it later on...

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
After hitting 30 I thought it was all downhill from that point on. 5 years later, I have no trouble admitting that I was absolutely right.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
"Old" isn't a binary thing you gosh darn whippersnappers.

You gradually get older and then you die.

That said, I obviously know what OP means. For me it's got a lot more to do with one's capabilities than pure age. A spry 80 year might be considered younger in that sense than a decrepit wreck in their 60s.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I would say 40 is old, since that is the age where most people retire around. I'm only halfway there tho!

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 52 and I started to feel old when I completely disengaged from pop-culture trends in music/movies/television, etc.

So somewhere in my early to mid-40s I guess?

Still keep up to date with all things gaming (prob. more so than gen. gaming populous), but everything else? Eh, no desire or motivation to even keep up anymore.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
I'm 41, married, have a kid. And I still can't think of myself as old much less an adult yet.

There hasn't been much of that "blammo I'm grown up" moment except for if I fuck up its on me and my folks aren't gonna bail me out.

DemyxC

Dec 3, 2020
A lot of cope in this thread... as expected. That being said anyone older than me is old and everyone younger is a baby.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i my mind the paradigm of "young"/"old" ceased when i started managing people decades older than me at work

10-20 years ago i never thought i'd regard 60 year olds as "one of the guys" calling them by their first name instead of sir, ma'am, mr, ms ect

Xavien

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 3, 2017
First time I really felt "old" was when I started hearing/reading more zoomer expression and stuff like that over time (as they're getting older and start to be showcased more on Youtube, Twitch, TikTok existing, posting on forums, some public Discords etc) and not getting a big part of their culture. To me you really mentally become "old" when you're out of touch to the point of not really caring about how younger people see the world, how they act in it. Dismissing concerns, dismissing what you don't understand as being shit or whatever. But that's more acting like a boomer than being old so idk if that counts.

Physically I think it depends for everyone, but I think 50 is a good cutoff where calling someone old isn't insulting. But at the end of the day it really depends on how you eat, how much you exercise, how much you keep your brain active, etc. Some people will look/act/feel older at 40 than some people at 60.

TL:DR : Physically old, 50 is a good ballpark. Mentally old, there's too much variation for me.

This is my viewpoint, but to go a little more extreme, if you don't or won't continue to put in the effort to change and learn, then you're basically already dead. Everything after that point is just one long death rattle.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
For me old is always the decade after me. In my twenties 30 years old were unfathomably old , recently 40 years old were like from a different planet and soon I'll think of 50 year olds as having a foot in the grave.

the advantage of this system is that I'm never old in it.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
For me that marker keeps magically moving up as I get older.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
One of my relatives was 62 when I was born. She was always the person I thought of when I thought of someone who was old.

I'm not anywhere near that age.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
Your old when you reasonably know you have less time left than you've already lived.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
I would say 40 is old, since that is the age where most people retire around. I'm only halfway there tho!

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
65+ is Old.

45-65 is middle-aged.

18-40 is still young adult though

IDK how I feel about the 40-45. It seems like an orphaned age range and depends on you're life and health

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe 75 or 80 is old. Like when someone dies at 60 everyone says "they were so young"

LOL @ everyone saying 30s is old.
30s is only old when you're in your twenties. I think 20 years olds hate it because you stop having the youth excuse for stupid behavior but you're still objectively young in reality.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
For many years now I've thought of 55 plus as "older", and 70 plus as "old". Does that make sense?

I'm 36.

Lol at 30 plus being old. Never thought that in my entire life.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The goalpost keeps moving as I get older. When I was 20 I thought 30 was old. When I turned 30 I thought 40 was old. I turn 40 next week and I don't feel old, so I guess 50 is next.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It used to be 30 for me, but now that I'm turning 30 myself I'm moving the goalpost to 50. Not ready yet to call myself old.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I'm 44 and feel young as hell so I have no idea. I guess I'm considered over the hill but funny enough my 40's have been the best decade of my life so far.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I have a sister that is more than 20 year older than me, so anyone more than a decade older than her is truly 'old' to me.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not to be grim but... you're old when friends your age start dying and it's not a shock anymore. When you continue to wake up every day taking the next one for granted, you're still young.

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
It seems after 50 is when people start succumbing more to random health problems or health issues that they've had for their entire lives, at least in my anecdotal experience, so that's always been the number I've thought of in my head. I would like to revise that to 70 or so, but it seems every year after 50 is a blessing, and that goes doubly so for 60+.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
It's a matter of perspective, but 50 is a solid "you're definitely on the decline" age. Those who are diligent (and have good genes) can still hang onto their youth into their 40s. Once you hit 50 though, father time gets tired of waiting. You old.

Nov 26, 2018
Health is a factor: like, my father was "older" in his 50s than he is in his 70s now. 50s he had a stressful but important job that gave him two angioplasties and a stent, now he's retired, seeing places, exercising, and seeing doctors on the regular.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
I say it all the time. You are as old as you feel. Proper diet, stress levels, sleep, modern lifestyle, etc can keep you going for much longer than traditionally. It is just common sense. 60 is the new 50, 50 is the new 40, etc. It also depends on genetics so if you get bad RNG, you can do nothing about that.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
36. That's when people start becoming adults who didn't even exist when you became an adult.